seb146

Info On DVD Help

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:39 pm

About a month ago, my laptop crashed. I got the recovery disks from HP and got that all taken care of. We were visiting Carson City, Nevada at the time. The tech there was kind enough to burn information from My Documents, My Favorites, and my Desktop onto a DVD-R for me. I have since gotten most of the stuff back on the laptop and the CD/DVD drive recognizes that the DVD burned in Carson is there and has information on it. Accessing the information is EXTREMELY slow. I have been trying to copy even one .jpg at a time by drag-and-drop or copy and paste or move file but nothing works. I get error messeges of all kinds. All I really want are the pics. My Favories and My Desktop are not important to me. So, what can I do to get this DVD to at least let me transfer the pics?
Life in the wall is a drag.

afterburner

RE: Info On DVD Help

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:19 am

Have you tried to read the DVD using another computer?

austinairport

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:02 am

Maybe your laptop's optical drive has a really slow read/write rate?
Hmm.. sounds kinda funky.
Are you on an XP machine?
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

seb146

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:04 pm

Quoting Afterburner (Reply 1):
Have you tried to read the DVD using another computer?

Three different machines, actually. One even has a DVD burner on it. But, the laptop, where the information origionally came from, is actually opening the disc and allowing me to get into the desktop, favorites and my documents folders. The two other machines are not letting me get that far. Not even the machine with the DVD burner.

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 2):
Are you on an XP machine?

Yes. All three I tried reading the disc are XP. The original OS was XP.

afterburner

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:25 am

Maybe the technician burned the DVD using older DVD burner or used bad/cheap DVD-R disc when burning your data.

austinairport

Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:40 am

Well I can't for the life of me figure out why it would behave that way.
Really strange.
I would try and Download a Linux distribution (a Live One) and install it on a USB Stick (this is useful for a number of things) then while booted into the Linux distro, pop the CD in.
This will help you troubleshoot, I mean it could be the DVD, it could be XP acting funky.
Anyway, If the disk is readable in Linux, you could copy the files over to another USB and get to them that way.
I know it seems extreme. But that's my advice. LOL
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

seb146

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:18 pm

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 5):
I know it seems extreme. But that's my advice. LOL

It sounds like a good idea, but I am not computer literate. I will keep that in mind when I get desparate. Besides, I don't think I have a USB memory that big. 2GB is the largest one I have at my disposal. I am going to try the self-printing kiosk at Walgreens later.

CheetahC

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Have you taken ownership of the files you are trying to access/copy?

golfradio

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Try to dump the DVD on your local drive with a DVD copying software. Freeware like dvdshrink will allow you to burn the DVD image as an ISO file on your local drive.

If this works then your home free. All you have to do is use software like IZArc to open the ISO image and extract your files.

For obvious reasons you will not be able to download dvdshrink from their website. But google for it and you shall find download links easily.
dvdshrink

For ISO extraction you can use IZArc, another awesome open source freeware utility.
http://www.izarc.org/
Bring back the old site.

austinairport

Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:28 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 6):
It sounds like a good idea, but I am not computer literate. I will keep that in mind when I get desparate. Besides, I don't think I have a USB memory that big. 2GB is the largest one I have at my disposal. I am going to try the self-printing kiosk at Walgreens later.

that's perfect. I have Ubuntu (a Linux Distro) on a 1GB USB.

http://www.teamteabag.com/2008/08/13...-usb-the-easy-way-with-unetbootin/
That link should help you if you do decide to use this method.
Plus, Ubuntu on a USB is useful for tons of other things.