IFLYMCO
Topic Author

International Drivers Permit Needed?

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:23 am

Hello All,

Will be renting a car in Zurich later this week and have just realized I may need an international drivers permit to show at the rental desk!

I am renting from Europcar at Kloten.. any thoughts??

I hold a US (Florida) license.

Thanks so much!
Now it should be "IFLYDCA"

ManuCH
Crew

RE: International Drivers Permit Needed?

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:37 am

An international driver's permit is generally not required in Switzerland, if your original license is written in a language that can be understood. English is obviously not a problem. Now with a Chinese-only license I would have it translated just to make sure...

Have fun in Zurich!
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

nighthawk

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:43 am

good point - i keep meaning to look into this. I am heading to the states in October, and was thinking of hiring a car. I assume therefore I wont need an international license, my Uk license will be sufficient?

ManuCH
Crew

Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:00 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 2):
I am heading to the states in October, and was thinking of hiring a car. I assume therefore I wont need an international license, my Uk license will be sufficient?

My Swiss license was accepted in Canada, and friends of mine who went to the US didn't have any problems either. I guess that "international license" thing is obsolete by now - unless what's written on your license isn't easily understandable. But YMMV.

airtran737

Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:43 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 3):
international license" thing is obsolete by now - unless what's written on your license isn't easily understandable. But YMMV.

If you drive in the UAE with out an international license and get caught you will be hurting. One of my co-workers was fined for it.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

fridgmus

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:43 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 4):
If you drive in the UAE with out an international license and get caught you will be hurting. One of my co-workers was fined for it.

I thought International Driver's licenses were not used anymore.

How can a US citizen get an International License?

Thanks,

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

ManuCH
Crew

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:09 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 4):

I guess it depends on who implements the rules. A colleague of mine was in Dubai last week and rented a car with his Swiss license. He was never stopped by police, so we can't verify if he would have had any trouble or not... but one could at least hope that the car rental company would warn him and/or not give him the car.

Doona

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 5):

In Sweden, one can obtain one from the national motoring association, Motormännen. Perhaps AAA can be of help in the US?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

BAKJet

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 5):

Quoting Doona (Reply 7):
Perhaps AAA can be of help in the US?

checkmark  You get them at a AAA office.

ltbewr

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Here is a link to the webpage as to getting a IDL in the USA via the AAA.
http://www.aaa.com/Vacation/idpf.html

Don't forget that IDL's are just a certification of the information on your home State drivers license, they are NOT a substitute for a State issued license, it is just to offer a convenience to police officers anywhere who may not know your native language.
If there is any doubt that an IDL may be needed to rent a car, check with the website of the rental car company.

IFLYMCO
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:18 am

Thanks all for the advice!

The Europcar site says this:

What documents do I need to present at the Europcar counter when I pick up my car ?

1) your normal driving licence, issued by your country of residence and held for a minimum period according to local legislation or conditions. It will be requested at every rental. In addition to your normal Driving Licence, your International Driving Licence is also mandatory if your driving licence is written in a language different to the one of the renting country and/or in characters that can not be read in the renting country. Note that your International Driving Licence is valid only if accompanied by your normal Driving Licence. Driving Licences must be valid in the country of rental.

I assume my English language license will suffice?

czbbflier

Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:36 am

Quoting IFLYMCO (Reply 10):
In addition to your normal Driving Licence, your International Driving Licence is also mandatory if your driving licence is written in a language different to the one of the renting country....

I assume my English language license will suffice?

Florida: English.
Switzerland: French, German, Italian, Swiss.

I would assume nothing of the sort and take an IDL 'just in case'.

BMIFlyer

Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:40 am

good point - i keep meaning to look into this. I am heading to the states in October, and was thinking of hiring a car. I assume therefore I wont need an international license, my Uk license will be sufficient?

Gavin, when I rented a car at IND earlier this year, I had to show my Driving License, Credit Card and passport, that's all.  Smile
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

BA

Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:40 am

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 11):

Switzerland's 4th language is called Romansh.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

ManuCH
Crew

Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:57 am

In addition to your normal Driving Licence, your International Driving Licence is also mandatory if your driving licence is written in a language different to the one of the renting country and/or in characters that can not be read in the renting country.

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 11):
Florida: English.

The Swiss Driving License has the text written in English as well. If you want to get an IDL just to make sure, go ahead, but by experience so far it isn't necessary: English is well understood in Switzerland, especially in Zurich.

IFLYMCO
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:38 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 14):
The Swiss Driving License has the text written in English as well. If you want to get an IDL just to make sure, go ahead, but by experience so far it isn't necessary: English is well understood in Switzerland, especially in Zurich.

Thanks ManuCH! I know the Swiss license has English as well hence my assumption above.

Your help is much appreciated!!

captaink

Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Depends on the state I think. I can drive legally in Florida and New York for sometime on my license. Been some years since I have heard about an international driver's license.
There is something special about planes....

AustrianZRH

Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:03 pm

Quoting IFLYMCO (Reply 15):
Thanks ManuCH! I know the Swiss license has English as well hence my assumption above.

Nevertheless Alamo in DEN wanted to see my International Driving License next to my Swiss one this June and also verified its validity. My girlfriend's - non English text - Luxembourgish license was accepted without validating the IDL, though she put it on the table. Didn't quite understand that.

To the TS: if you have an AAA office nearby, get one just in case, costs you maybe 15 bucks. Better safe than sorry would be my advice  Smile.

Sigi
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.