DeltaMD11
Topic Author

International Mobile/Sat Phone Service - Advice

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:06 pm

Well I've about exhausted all of my options and am hoping some tech-savvy person can come along and rescue me on this one. I'm being relocated to South Korea here in about a month and am looking for a way to maintain mobile phone service and not get absolutely hammered by the bill. I've looked into mobile sat phones and the like and for the most part they seem bulky and uber-expensive. My current carrier is Sprint who wants to charge me $1.99 a minute for all calls from Korea to the US (international roaming), the other major carriers are about commensurate with that price give or take a few cents. Anyone out there had any luck finding a cheaper way to have a mobile phone abroad with decent service back here to the US? Mind you I'll be overseas for a year, so the one week rental deals just wont cut it. I'm hoping to find something that wont run me more than $200 to $300 a month. any help or advice would certainly be appreciated.
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Cadet57

RE: International Mobile/Sat Phone Service - Advice

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:59 pm

Someone suggested this to me is buying a phone here that has international capabilities and buying a gsm sim card at your destination as the rates to the US will be cheaper.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.