tsaord

Advertisers Leave Glenn Beck

Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:27 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090824/ap_en_ot/us_tv_beck_s_advertisers

Quote:
NEW YORK – Glenn Beck returns to Fox News Channel after a vacation on Monday with fewer companies willing to advertise on his show than when he left, part of the fallout from calling President Barack Obama a racist.

A total of 33 Fox advertisers, including Walmart, CVS Caremark, Clorox and Sprint, directed that their commercials not air on Beck's show, according to the companies and ColorofChange.org, a group that promotes political action among blacks and launched a campaign to get advertisers to abandon him. That's more than a dozen more than were identified a week ago.

Shock tv is this?? I guess I just don't see the common sense in calling Obama a racist when his mother is white and he was raised by his white grandparents. His skin came out darker then his mother and lighter than his father. Do away with these slave master rules of race and biracial people in general. Both black and white people just need to drop it!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Flighty

RE: Advertisers Leave Glenn Beck

Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:49 am

Good. Glenn Beck reminds me of plenty of normal idiots out there. There is nothing special about an idiot who doesn't know anything, who talks all damn day. That didn't used to be a $10 million per year talent, and in my opinion it still isn't. He should be flipping burgers, but actually he's probably not well enough behaved to hold a job like that.

UAXDXer

Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:55 am

Quoting Tsaord (Thread starter):
Shock tv is this?? I guess I just don't see the common sense in calling Obama a racist when his mother is white and he was raised by his white grandparents. His skin came out darker then his mother and lighter than his father. Do away with these slave master rules of race and biracial people in general. Both black and white people just need to drop it!

So you are saying that he is NOT the First Black President? ***GASP***
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

tsaord

Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:27 am

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 2):

You know he can be whatever he wants to be. I personally believe if he would have ran as a "biracial candidate" he wouldn't have had the high black support. But again, he doesn't look white so people see him as black therefore he is. He married a black woman and says he is black. He can be whatever he wants. However a lot of these "race rules" stem from slavery and has been passed down through the generations.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

NIKV69

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:00 am

I guess I just don't see the common sense in calling Obama a racist

Yea like Jeanne Garafolo calling anyone that didn't agree with him racist?

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 2):

He isn't. He is not black. I love how we call every other bi-racial celeb like Halle Berry etc what they are but as soon as CNN and MSNBC saw a chance to exploit it he was black and his white mother became irrevelant.

directed that their commercials not air on Beck's show

Which means nothing because they didn't pull from Fox, just the hour he is on. No company will pull from FOX because their ratings destroy every other news network. In fact some of their cable shows like O'Reilly have higher ratings than many other cable shows whether news or not. I think Beck is an idiot personally but this is a non issue.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ual757

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 am

Maybe now when he cries, I can watch the whole scene without being interrupted by some pointless commercial. Bring on the tears baby!  stirthepot 

JeffSFO

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:52 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
No company will pull from FOX because their ratings destroy every other news network.

Not true. For what it's worth, UPS Stores did for the time being:

Quote:
"This is a good illustration of that conundrum," said Rich Hallabran, spokesman for UPS Stores, which he said has temporarily halted buying ads on Fox News Channel as a whole.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...vyOzlOv18doAhN9yKtjbjsDewD9A8NMO81

Whether or not more will follow remains to be seen. Be that as it may be, I can't see Beck going off the air from this.

ltbewr

Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:44 am

Beck is an entertainer using talking about politics in colorful and sometimes over the line ways. He, like many on the right (and left), are hired to entertain people, get attention and thus viewers/listiners to a given tv or radio station to make money on. If they bring in enough to be profitable to the station owner, they get paid more. If they go too far in thier critizism, especially to a organized group, then they will lose advertisers or better, listiners.

The problem with such entertainers is that they often push a view that is of the best benefit to them - usually involving money - such as lower taxes on higher income people and cutting out costly social programs. That is often seen as racist, sexist and selfish. I have no problem with legitment critizism from 'conservatives', indeed they are needed to keep the centerism that make for a healthy country and governance. My problem, as Mr. Beck and others like Rush, Grant and others, is that they far too often use extreme and sometimes racist, sexist and narrow views that are insulting to many. Hopefully we will see an end of this ranting class and instead see more balanced discussions of critical issues of our times.

jetmatt777
Crew

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:16 pm

Quoting UAL757 (Reply 5):
Maybe now when he cries, I can watch the whole scene without being interrupted by some pointless commercial.

Talk about the issue at hand, don't punch below the belt. He was talking about his daughter who has cerebral palsy, and I'm sure before, during, and after her birth it was very hard on him and his family -- emotionally and monetary. There are things past in my life that when I think about them in depth or talk about them, it makes me tear up. Maybe when you talk about something in front of millions of people live, that really had a HUGE emotional effect on you, you will understand. It's not like he was crying because his car wouldn't start this morning.

-- Back to the topic at hand.

I personally think he is a worm, but, I do agree with most of what he says. I just think he acts a bit weird.

Also, the one thing that can be agreed on, he loves this country with his whole heart and hates to see it go down the wrong direction. I also believe it is going in the wrong direction, but I don't express it in the same ways as he does.

I watch his show every evening and listen to his radio show in the morning.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 7):
Hopefully we will see an end of this ranting class and instead see more balanced discussions of critical issues of our times.

The Fairness Doctrine, I suppose? Let the free market decide this. The conservative talk shows are dominating over other radio talk shows. If these opinions weren't supported, people would flock to the likes of NPR. Or other liberal radio hosts would be on the air dominating, or sharing a 50/50ish split of the market share. What is fair about shutting up opposing voice?

Unfortunately, I fear for this country and the liberties we have, I fear one day they won't be here.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

seb146

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 pm

No company will pull from FOX because their ratings destroy every other news network. In fact some of their cable shows like O'Reilly have higher ratings than many other cable shows

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 8):
The conservative talk shows are dominating over other radio talk shows

I pointed out in another thread about Jon Stewart and his commentary about FOX last week. Anyone else see it? It was freakin' HILARIOUS! "They're liberals, now!" HAHAHAHA!!!! The main point is, all the whining these right-wing talking heads do about the "liberal" media and "mainstream" media ignoring the right-wing is null and void and the above two statements prove it. WAAAAA!!!! The right has little representation in the main stream media!!! WAAAAA!!!! Liberal media does not give conservatives enough air time!!!! WAAAAAA!!!!

If advertisers choose to not air during Glenn Beck or any other show, no matter if it is a sit-com, the news, crime show, reality show, or whatever, that is their choice. Viewers can, as is always pointed out by the whiney right, vote with their bank accounts and choose not to shop at those particular stores or use those particular companies.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Force13

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:44 pm

Also, the one thing that can be agreed on, he loves this country with his whole heart and hates to see it go down the wrong direction

Whereas I won't ever deny someone the right to love his country I will argue that his fear-mongering tactics are unappropriate and his comparisons of healthcare reform and Nazi politics are a slap across the face of all who fought in WWII as well as every other American. I wouldn't call comparing out government with Nazi politics and rhetoric "love". That's where I drew the line with watching him, he simply went too far.

Thats the problem with pundits both liberal and conservative. They play on fears of people who don't educate themselves with the facts and/or history. And for those of us who do we end up with the headaches.

I hope we get a good debate going  Smile Nothing wrong with a good old verbal tussle!
Do not taunt. Do not shake. Do not pander. Add coffee. Subject should be slightly human within an hour.

Dreadnought

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:04 am

I personally think he is a worm, but, I do agree with most of what he says. I just think he acts a bit weird.

Exactly. His antics work against him. But he puts forward excellent analyses sometimes. This week he is talking about the questions we should be asking from our leadership, like who are all the advisors influencing Obama.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

Tugger

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:26 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 7):
Beck is an entertainer using talking about politics in colorful and sometimes over the line ways. He, like many on the right (and left), are hired to entertain people, get attention and thus viewers/listiners to a given tv or radio station to make money on. If they bring in enough to be profitable to the station owner, they get paid more. If they go too far in thier critizism, especially to a organized group, then they will lose advertisers or better, listiners.

checkmark 
He is really no different from Howard Stern. Each have their audience and their place in society's discussion or itself. Each has rabid fans and say outlandish things to get attention.

If these opinions weren't supported, people would flock to the likes of NPR.

Well listenership of NPR has been growing these past few years. (They don't have a dedicated TV channel like FOXNews so can't compare properly).

Quoting Force13 (Reply 10):
Thats the problem with pundits both liberal and conservative. They play on fears of people who don't educate themselves with the facts and/or history. And for those of us who do we end up with the headaches.

checkmark 

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

jetmatt777
Crew

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:39 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 9):
The right has little representation in the main stream media!!! WAAAAA!!!! Liberal media does not give conservatives enough air time!!!! WAAAAAA!!!!

The only place the right wing has a major representation in the media is in talk-radio.

For Cable TV, you have:
MSNBC, (left)
ABC, (left)
CNN, (middle-left)
FOX, (right, middle-right mid-day).

Most newspapers and magazines are also left wing.

They play on fears of people who don't educate themselves with the facts and/or history.

Apparently, people have educated themselves on this health care package. Hence why it is going down in flames.

I wouldn't call comparing out government with Nazi politics and rhetoric "love".

He is not saying Nazi's are running the U.S. He has compared the similarities between this proposed health care bill, and the ads in Nazi Germany at the time. Also, my point being, he loves this country enough, to not sit idle as, in his eyes, it is going down the wrong path. Every American should stand up for what they believe in, and he is doing that.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 12):
(They don't have a dedicated TV channel like FOXNews so can't compare properly).

Rush doesn't have Fox. He is the King Of Radio.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

LTU932

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:01 am

I pointed out in another thread about Jon Stewart and his commentary about FOX last week. Anyone else see it? It was freakin' HILARIOUS! "They're liberals, now!" HAHAHAHA!!!! The main point is, all the whining these right-wing talking heads do about the "liberal" media and "mainstream" media ignoring the right-wing is null and void and the above two statements prove it. WAAAAA!!!! The right has little representation in the main stream media!!! WAAAAA!!!! Liberal media does not give conservatives enough air time!!!! WAAAAAA!!!!

That just reminded me of the film "Bulworth", when Jay B. Bulworth was doing that interview in LA, all dressed up as one of those rappers.

GuitrThree

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:43 am

Well,
you could actually spend 7 minutes watching some of his work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgmwyfKuL8

Someone care to refute what he is saying? Seems like a bunch of good questions to ask who's running things...
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

fxramper

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:11 am

He's still got the #2 news show on cable; FOX, Murdoch, and the exec could care less.  stirthepot 

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...glenn-beck-ignores-ad-boycott.html

Pyrex

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:14 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 12):
NPR has been growing these past few years. (They don't have a dedicated TV channel like FOXNews so can't compare properly).

So what do you call ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, etc. etc. etc. ?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Force13

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:38 am

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 13):
Apparently, people have educated themselves on this health care package. Hence why it is going down in flames.

Maybe. Maybe not. We'll have to wait and see what happens in the house and senate IF (and that is a big if) they vote on it before December.

Thats the problem with pundits both liberal and conservative. They play on fears of people who don't educate themselves with the facts and/or history. And for those of us who do we end up with the headaches

In my defense never once mentioned health care in this paragraph. I was mearly referring to all pundits and all topics that both sides never seem to get right.
Do not taunt. Do not shake. Do not pander. Add coffee. Subject should be slightly human within an hour.

futurepilot16

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:02 am

Glenn Beck is a moron and the more people realize just how much of a nut job he is, they will realize it and stop watching his show. I knew people would start to realize how fake this guy was and faux news will realize their mistake
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

jetmatt777
Crew

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:46 am

Quoting Force13 (Reply 18):
In my defense never once mentioned health care in this paragraph.

Never said you did. Was pointing out the fact that a good number of people are awake and have educated themselves on this bill. This bill has shown unpopularity in just about every respectable poll. The same people who watch his show have educated themselves on important issues. He is just one who tries to get the message out. If I remember correctly, a lot of his subjects/topics come from user input, he just investigates them and tries to let the truth shine.

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 19):
Glenn Beck is a moron and the more people realize just how much of a nut job he is, they will realize it and stop watching his show.

Can't wait to see tomorrow's show.

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 15):
Well,
you could actually spend 7 minutes watching some of his work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgmwyfKuL8

Someone care to refute what he is saying? Seems like a bunch of good questions to ask who's running things...

checkmark 

akiss20

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:33 am

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 21):
shread of substance in you posts!?!?

Glenn Beck once stated that the Weimar Republic was responsible for WWI and without its existence WWI would never of happened. That one statement told me all I needed to know.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

LTU932

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:52 am

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 22):
Glenn Beck once stated that the Weimar Republic was responsible for WWI and without its existence WWI would never of happened.

Glenn Beck must be a complete idiot. If he wants to say something, then he should think before he does, especially when it comes to the history of a country he probably doesn't know anything about!  Angry

AGM100

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:05 am

I just don't see the common sense in calling Obama a racist

Why he called his own grandmother a racist ,, big deal

I am glad Beck shed some light on the Green Czar ... the guy is defiantly a enemy mine. Where the hell does the President find these people ? I mean he is the best guy you can find to run a huge piece of your agenda ? The dud is a wacko ...

You cant just pick snipets of Becks show , he does allot of off the cuff comments and "comedy".. of course he is making fun of liberals and socialists.... and he hits them hard . He does allot of research for his show and lays the facts down straight. Is he always right? ..no.... but at least he is asking some tough questions. What should we watch ... shiver leg and the "dick" on msnbc ?
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

stlgph

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:44 am

No company will pull from FOX because their ratings destroy every other news network

Not quite.

Plus, a little tid bit of information, "conservative political programming" is a hard sell for advertisement and sales. The consumers which tune in aren't spenders and bring little bang for the ad buck spent.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Pellegrine

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:44 am

Who is Glenn Beck?

I've seen this man on the cable news, I've certainly never heard of him. What does anyone care what he has to say? He strikes me as angry, somewhat childish in argument, and most of all ill-informed <--- i.e. not someone I pay a spat of attention to. So why are he and his little compatriots so angry? Angry is not a good look, don't they know the Fall/Winter 2010 fashions are here already? Angry was not in my Vuitton look book. If I met him I would go tell him to play with his plastic blocks and give him a smile as you do a somewhat "slow" child.

So again I ask. Who exactly is Glenn Beck?

And why does he think he is so important?
Because he is not.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Zentraedi

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:25 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 24):
Why he called his own grandmother a racist ,, big deal

Weak argument you have there.

There's nothing wrong with calling a spade, a spade. It also doesn't mean he can't still love his grandmother.

For example, growing up, my grandmother would always tell me "I wish your daddy hadn't married a God damned gook."

Of course, I called her out on that, but it doesn't make me a bad grandson.

[Edited 2009-08-26 01:26:14]

stlgph

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:35 am

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 26):

let's just say the cross-promotion of Glenn Beck by "inserting him" into other Fox shows has not gone as ... some had hoped.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

akiss20

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 23):

Glenn Beck must be a complete idiot. If he wants to say something, then he should think before he does, especially when it comes to the history of a country he probably doesn't know anything about! Angry

Exactly. It is one thing to not know about something, thats perfectly fine considering that there are millions of things that people don't know. But to not recognize that you know nothing about something and then talk about it as if what you were saying is fact, when it is really utter BS, makes you the worst kind of idiot. I am disturbed about the trend in American culture, politics, and society that everyone thinks they are an expert on everything. For example, I am a relatively intelligent guy, graduated top, going to MIT blah blah blah, but in no way, shape or form do I believe that I really know enough about economics to make a truly informed decision about what the Fed should do, or how exactly the stimulus package should be administered. I read columns by reputable and respected economists and I weigh their advice to form some opinion, but ultimately I put my faith in the over-arching opinion of these experts. They are the ones who know more or less what they are talking about. I find it amazing that people are so quick to jump to the position that they know more about a topic than someone who has spent 8+ years training in that field, not to mention decades of high-profile work.

I am not saying take the word of one guy as the ultimate truth, but look at what the majority of people who actually know what they are doing and use that as your basis of information, not what some talking head on FOX, NBC, or CNN is expouting. Of course the problem with that is that it actually requires research, aka spending energy on something, and *gasp* you might have to change your opinion!!
 Yeah sure
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

Dreadnought

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Glenn Beck once stated that the Weimar Republic was responsible for WWI and without its existence WWI would never of happened. That one statement told me all I needed to know.

I remember wincing when he said that, but to be fair he had talked about the same issue a few minutes before, and he had got it right. He was speaking off the cuff ot one point and gotten a couple of things flipped. Big deal. He's not the only person to get his toungue twisted up on camera.

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 29):
Exactly. It is one thing to not know about something, thats perfectly fine considering that there are millions of things that people don't know. But to not recognize that you know nothing about something and then talk about it as if what you were saying is fact, when it is really utter BS, makes you the worst kind of idiot.

All he's been doing is to demand that we question. Are you saying that he is wrong that we demand that congress read the bills they try to pass? Is he wrong to ridicule Rep. Conyers for saying that he won't read the bill, because he doesn't understand it? Is it wrong to point out that, while Obama said in his campaign that we should judge him on the people he surrounds himself with, that he has chosen to surround himself with advisors which include a lot of some pretty seriously radical characters, including self-described communists and marxists, and people who believe strongly in Eugenics? Is it wrong for him to love the country based on the principles it was founded on, and to point out that our current leadership seems to see the Constitution as nothing more than a 200 year-old scrap of paper that needs to be marginalized as much as possible?

I agree that nobody should simply take him at his word. But very often I have dug into the facts myself and Beck turns out to be right more often than not.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

AGM100

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:04 pm

I have heard Beck draw parallels to our liberal socialist agenda and the Wiemar Republic. But never heard him say it was the cause of WWI...Maybe WWII. If he said WWI then it was most likely a error.....

Anyway he makes a good point .... if we let the libs run our economy we will be a in a sort or Wiemar situation. Its opinion...thats all

akiss20

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:10 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 31):
Anyway he makes a good point .... if we let the libs run our economy we will be a in a sort or Wiemar situation. Its opinion...thats all

Care to explain how exactly? The key aspect of the Weimar republic was that it was a hastily thrown together democracy in which those who were truly responsible for Germany's action in WWI, aka the military generals, were never really held to account for their actions. Thus the Weimar republic was basically doomed from the start because it was a government thrown together to negotiate with the allies that the German people had little hand in creating and little faith or loyalty to, not to mention it was incredibly weak and unable to create any substantive legislation. Because of this, the military generals remained the heros, and we saw the rise of German militarism throughout the 20's and 30's *cough Hitler cough*

How in anyway does the current US situation resemble that?

santosdumont

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 31):
I have heard Beck draw parallels to our liberal socialist agenda and the Wiemar Republic.

The problem is when people start taking the myopic opinions of a self-proclaimed "rodeo clown" and confuse them for rational, level-headed discourse. At this rate, anything to the left of GWB is going to be tagged as socialist and the flatulent ramblings of Bill O'Reilly will be considered "centrist".

This is just an unfortunate continuation of the stillborn "real American" rhetoric that doomed the GOP in 2008.

As I've asked several times when people make the hare-brained, irresponsible comparison between Obama and, say, Venezuela's Hugo Chavez -- and mind you, I live right next door to the man; In fact, I can see him from my house -- does Obama covertly organize mobs to trash "opposition" stations like Fox? Does Obama have the option to run for president as many times as he pleases? Is the White House summarily expropriating private businesses to "liberate" workers? Are GOP leaders going into exile fearing for their physical safety? And, most important, is the Obama administration going to expropriate golf courses and turn them into low-income housing projects on grounds that golf is a "bourgeois" sport? I didn't think so.

Rush doesn't have Fox. He is the King Of Radio.

Sorry, the title of King of All Media belongs to Howard Stern.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

Dreadnought

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 32):

How about massive deficit spending and printing money like crazy?

AGM100

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Care to explain how exactly

I said Wiemar "situation" a totally inept government incapable of collating either side ...one foot in socialism and one foot in communism. The Right and Left spectrum's increasingly hostile ..... sound familiar ? We also have a government who came to power promising socialism ...(call it what you want).. now they are finding out its hard to deliver . Both sides are getting jumpy.. Of course we don't have the Versailles treaty issues but we have are own problems.

Beck makes a good point ...like it or not

Tugger

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:50 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 30):
I agree that nobody should simply take him at his word. But very often I have dug into the facts myself and Beck turns out to be right more often than not.

If you are saying that he is an entertainer and that's all really then that is fine, but if people are thinking he is a place to get information, etc. then "turns out to be right more often than not" is not an acceptable level of performance. And information source has to reliable and research and vet the information they provide. As I said, Beck is pretty much the same as Stern, just a different end of the spectrum.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 33):

How about massive deficit spending and printing money like crazy?

Which really began with G. W. Bush? He had a balanced budget when he started. Now you can claim that he had to react to 9/11 and such but then you can say the same for the current administration having to react to the financial situation. In either situation the runaway spending has been terrible.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Dreadnought

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:59 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 35):
If you are saying that he is an entertainer and that's all really then that is fine, but if people are thinking he is a place to get information, etc. then "turns out to be right more often than not" is not an acceptable level of performance.

Are you saying that unless you are 100% correct in every case, you are worthless as a source of information? There is no such thing as a source that is always right. Remember Dan Rather?

Quoting Tugger (Reply 35):
Which really began with G. W. Bush? He had a balanced budget when he started.

And he was appropriately chewed out for it, and was mending his ways through 2006 until the Democrats took over Congress, when the deficits started taking off again. (Congress controls the purse-strings, remember)

But you can't honestly say that you can compare Bush's deficits with Obama's. We are talking about an order of magnitude of difference. It's like comparing a case of the Clap to AIDS.

BA

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:11 pm

I pointed out in another thread about Jon Stewart and his commentary about FOX last week. Anyone else see it? It was freakin' HILARIOUS!

This is precisely why I like Jon Stewart and he was absolutely amazing in that commentary.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

LTU932

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 31):
The key aspect of the Weimar republic was that it was a hastily thrown together democracy in which those who were truly responsible for Germany's action in WWI, aka the military generals, were never really held to account for their actions. Thus the Weimar republic was basically doomed from the start because it was a government thrown together to negotiate with the allies that the German people had little hand in creating and little faith or loyalty to, not to mention it was incredibly weak and unable to create any substantive legislation. Because of this, the military generals remained the heros, and we saw the rise of German militarism throughout the 20's and 30's *cough Hitler cough*

One other reason why the Weimar Republic was never really strong enough was also the resentment by the allies because of the punitive action that needed to be performed on Germany because of the treaty of Versailles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Versailles

The focus was on solely punishing Germany, which is why I'd say that the Treaty of Versailles, along with economic issues such as the hyperinflation of the 1920's and the Great Depression, were responsible for even allowing someone like Hitler into power, not the existence of the Weimar Republic. Hitler knew that he could use this as propaganda material to get the people to politically support him, including even the monarchists, who wanted a return of the Emperor into power. Even the Emperor himself initially supported Hitler from his exile, because he thought he may have been the key to a return to power, which obviously never happened.

jetmatt777
Crew

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 32):
Sorry, the title of King of All Media belongs to Howard Stern.

I never said ALL of media. El Rushbo has the highest ratings and listener ship than any other talk radio host.

seb146

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:18 pm

For Cable TV, you have:
MSNBC, (left)
ABC, (left)
CNN, (middle-left)
FOX, (right, middle-right mid-day).

Most newspapers and magazines are also left wing.

And, because that "fact" that most newspapers and magazines are left wing has turned them off to anyone center and right who do not want to appear evil. How many newspapers and magazines have lost earnings?

Just a correction, also, ABC is not strictly cable. The biggest point I have with the list Jetmatt put out there is: CNN, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, and ABC never ever say they are "fair and balanced." No where at any time. FOX, however, makes a point of it, yet they are not "fair and balanced." Not only that, MSNBC has been demonized so much and put on "expanded" programming on so many systems that even if someone with basic cable wanted to get "the other" point of view, they couldn't!

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 30):
I have heard Beck draw parallels to our liberal socialist agenda and the Wiemar Republic.

Funny: I have heard both Randi Rhodes and Mike Malloy draw parallels between the Bush administration facist agenda and the Wiemar Republic.

Dreadnought

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 40):
Funny: I have heard both Randi Rhodes and Mike Malloy draw parallels between the Bush administration facist agenda and the Wiemar Republic.

Now that's just dumb. (read what you wrote again - carefully)

But to be fair no dumber than Beck's Weimar/WWI slipup.

seb146

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:47 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 41):
Now that's just dumb.

Why? I withdraw the word "facist" from my previous post. However, the frustration of the German people over the restrictions of the Treaty of Versailles and the spin on patriotism by the Nazi party, the blame laid by the Nazi party on a particular group of citizens... The way they picked and choosed through history, much like any commentator, either right or left, does so often, made a lot of sense when strung together correctly.

Dreadnought

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:16 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 42):
Why? I withdraw the word "facist" from my previous post.

You'd better. Fascism is closer to what we are dealing with now than during the Bush administration (Government and major corporations getting in bed with each other, marginalization and ridicule of dissent with the help of the press, vast social programs (remember Fascism=National SOCIALISM), etc.

Bush was a liberal himself, but nothing compared to Obama.

AGM100

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:04 am

Bush administration facist agenda and the Wiemar Republic.

So does Beck.... and he is wright about it. Beck does not blame President Obama for all of this ... he blames most of it on the GOP to be honest. He just see's them tripling the effort now .

The Dems used Fascist against Bush ... as a lame scare word. On one hand he was cutting taxes to grow the evil rich as a capitalist and on the other he is a fascist. It does not compute.

LTU932

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:27 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 43):
Fascism=National SOCIALISM

Facism doesn't necessarily equal national socialism (Nationalsozialismus). National socialism was simply a different form of fascism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

jetmatt777
Crew

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:30 am

The biggest point I have with the list Jetmatt put out there is: CNN, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, and ABC never ever say they are "fair and balanced." No where at any time. FOX, however, makes a point of it, yet they are not "fair and balanced."

This isn't a discussion on who's more fair and balanced. My point being, we (right) are not crazy for thinking that we only have a good stronghold on talk radio, and that is trying to be taken away (the Fairness Doctrine). The fact that liberals think it is unfair for the right to have a stronghold of the listener ship in talk radio, yet the left basically owns the TV and print, doesn't surprise me. (Minus a select few stations/prints). If you will recall, I never said FOX was fair and balanced, I said, "right; middle-right mid-day." I also forgot about CBS and NBC on that list, other sources of left-wing news.

In summary, my point is fair and balanced is hard to come by, but fair and balanced news is not a Constitutional (Yes it still exists) right. It is up to the people to select what source of news to listen, watch or read from. Whether it is watching FOX or ABC, listening to Rush Limbaugh or NPR, or reading the WSJ or N.Y. Times. It is up to the people, not the government to decide what news or shows to watch or listen to.

AGM100

Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:23 pm

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 46):
It is up to the people to select what source of news to listen, watch or read from

Ahh .. but here is where the liberals have a problem. They do not believe that any of us are Intelligent enough to make these choices. They believe that their best friends in Washington should look out for our well being. Always amazed me how the liberals brand the right as religious fanatics frantically looking for ways to restrict there precious freedoms. They forget there own liberal super star and his wife who were looking to ban music they found distasteful. Literally trying to get congress to ban certain albums from being distributed. Its called selective memory . They spent more time blasting some comments by Jesse Helms meanwhile Super Gore was in front of congress trying to ban Rap music....

The liberals are ready to swoop in with there doo gooder capes on too oppress political speech that the do not agree with. There act is tired ...

Beck highlighted the new FCC Commissioner , CZAR, ...whatever last night. The guy in on video saying he agrees with Hugo oppressing the press in Venezuela.... He says the press was damaging "Chavez's great revolution " . Now imagine if a republican would ever say anything like that.

seb146

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 pm

My point being, we (right) are not crazy for thinking that we only have a good stronghold on talk radio

It is up to the people, not the government to decide what news or shows to watch or listen to.

What I still don't, and never will, understand is all these right-wingers complaining about how the "liberals" control the media, yet so much money is poured into right-wing talkers and "news" sources. My family lives in rural Oregon and Washington. So many people those and other rural areas believe if anyone other than the right-wing talkers are on, society will collapse.

(Government and major corporations getting in bed with each other

De-regulation by Reagan, continued by Bush I and Bush II

marginalization and ridicule of dissent with the help of the press

Terrorists everywhere, said Bush II, evil "liberals" said right-wing talking heads

vast social programs

No Child Left Behind, "rebate" checks, expanding jobless benefits and food stamps under BushI and Bush II.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 44):
The Dems used Fascist against Bush ... as a lame scare word.

"Terrorist" and "liberal"

Don't get me wrong: Clinton and Obama expanded social programs as well. But, anyone can pick and choose whatever facts they want.

AGM100

Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:30 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 48):
"Terrorist" and "liberal"

Even I don't associate terrorists and liberals SEB . I do believe that the likes of code pink , susan suranden and her husband timmy conjured up Vietnam war era memories of hippies spitting on soldiers. But liberals are far more dangerous that those folks in my opinion. Not dangerous in a physical sense but dangerous too our economy and in aiding the growth of our non producing dependent class.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 48):
No Child Left Behind, "rebate" checks, expanding jobless benefits and food stamps under BushI and Bush II.

President Bush ran on compassionate conservative ideas ... and frankly conservatives were raising eye brows at it. I recall Limbaugh cautioning the idea ... I even remember the day I heard it . I was in my car, in the parking lot at work .. Rush was describing Bushes compassionate conservative ideas and warning us to be careful. But it was a choice between him and Kerry ,who was a hollow and transparently confused liberal.

My real support for Bush came when our troops went into battle. There was no way I was going to dissent the war while boots were on the ground . No way. But he spent too much money , and I raised 3 kids though the "no child left behind era" it has its good side but it is not what it should be. He should have fought harder for school vouchers and grown the private sector choice in education plan like Ron Paul wants.

Did anyone watch Beck last ? Discussion was about the " Civilian Army" that President Obama wants . Not sure Beck made a connection ... but it is a obvious next step for the left wing ... they will have activist "soldiers" that will settle the score. It is going to happen .. question is what we as citizens do about it.