User avatar
ManuCH
Crew
Topic Author
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:33 am

Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:41 am

A funny campaign by a Brazilian environmental group:

Quote:
The group believes that by adding a yellow stream to the morning's shower, one toilet flush can be prevented. If one flush is avoided each day in a single household, 4,380 liters (1,157 gallons) of water is saved per year.

http://www.mnn.com/the-home/househol...ucts/blogs/the-girl-from-impeenema

What do you think? In my opinion, while funny, this is yet another useless campaign made by people who believe too much in statistics... what happens if people take this too literally? Maybe those who usually don't shower daily (not everyone does) will start doing so, only to be able to follow the campaign's recommendations. And there goes the water saving...  Silly
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself
 
Type-Rated
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 1999 5:18 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:05 am

Yuck. And what about the people who don't scub the floor of their tub or shower on a regular basis. Does your shower begin to smell like urine? Who wants urine around their feet?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!
 
Aeri28
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2000 1:08 pm

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:24 am

every man pees in the shower,or at least has done so. Not every man will admit to it as I'm sure the ensuing posts will prove. If you say you don't or have not, you are lying.  Big grin  Big grin It's akin to not admitting you never have or never have had a finger up your nose in the privacy of youself.
 
Superfly
Posts: 37735
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:01 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:26 am



Quoting ManuCH (Thread starter):
What do you think?

I'd have to have a Golden Shower with the girl from Ipanema before I make up my mind.  Smile



Seriously, these environmentalist are insane!
So in other words, urinate where you bathe yourself all in an effort to save the environment.
Poor hygiene is a sign of mental illness, but hey it's all about the environment.  Yeah sure
Bring back the Concorde
 
MD11Engineer
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:25 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 am

The problem is that water is unevenly distributed on our planet. E.g. North-Western Europe gets more than it´s share of rain and water is normally not a problem (the water shortages in the UK a few years ago were not caused by the lack of rain, but by the lack of investment into maintenance and upkeep of the distribution systems by the water companies after privatisation).
Other places have a lack of water, e.g. the Sahel zone.
But saving a toilet flush e.g. in rainy Ireland won´t help a farmer in Burkina Faso.
It reminds me of the stories we had to listen to as children about emptying oiur dinner plates and not to throw away any food "because in Africa children are starving". Me finishing an overfull plate (filled by the grandma) would not have saved a child over there. I already noticed the lack of logic when I was five years old.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:57 am

Gross... But I guess it happens in hotels and airport lounge showers etc... But Id rather not think about it .

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 4):
But saving a toilet flush e.g. in rainy Ireland won´t help a farmer in Burkina Faso.

Rainy Ireland ? Its been flooding it down and yesterday it was like monsoon !! I was thinking if only I could send it over to Athens to put out the fires.
 
MD11Engineer
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:25 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:31 am

Another point is that the existing water and sewage systems require a minimum flow rate. If this is not reached the drinking water will not flow fast enough through the pipes and the water works can´t guarantee the sterility of the drinking water. Also the faeces will get stuck and dry up in the sewage pipes insted of being transported to the sewage treatment plant.
Since massive water saving started years ago (mainly due to people taking short showers imnstead of full baths or using toilet flush boxes with a low quantity button for No.1), both the water works and the sewage works have to flush their pipes regularly. This is wasting water.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi
 
jush
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:10 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:40 am



Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 6):
This is wasting water.

While your post is correct the last statement is not. They have to clean their pipes but they'll do it with cleaning machines that use the flowing water around them. Normally there is no need to waste fresh, clean water in that process.
Still saving water is not always the best option for the system.
I have another thing to think about. If your shower lasts longer because you are doing Nr. 1
in it you use considerably more water than if you just have a short shower and a little flush with the toilet.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.
 
MD11Engineer
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:25 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:54 am



Quoting Jush (Reply 7):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 6):
This is wasting water.

While your post is correct the last statement is not. They have to clean their pipes but they'll do it with cleaning machines that use the flowing water around them. Normally there is no need to waste fresh, clean water in that process.
Still saving water is not always the best option for the system.
I have another thing to think about. If your shower lasts longer because you are doing Nr. 1
in it you use considerably more water than if you just have a short shower and a little flush with the toilet.

Regds
jush

Not correct. Flushing the drinking water system is usually done by hookuing up a fire hose to a fire hydrant (which are connected to the drinking water system) and running the water into a street gulley or manhole (which at the same time flushes the sewage system).
What you mean is the cleaning done to remove caked dirt and obstructions from the sewage pipes. This is done using a high pressure washer with a special head ("Pipe rocket") at the end of a long hose. Again, this machine (mounted on a truck) uses drinking water.
For regular flushing the fire hydrant / fire hose method is being used.

Jan


Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 19821
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:48 pm



Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 1):
Yuck. And what about the people who don't scub the floor of their tub or shower on a regular basis. Does your shower begin to smell like urine? Who wants urine around their feet?

Um. It's urine, which is an aqueous solution. Thus, if you pee in a working shower, the urine is dispersed in the water and disappears completely down the drain.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
baroque
Posts: 12302
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:15 pm

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:58 pm



Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
Um. It's urine, which is an aqueous solution. Thus, if you pee in a working shower, the urine is dispersed in the water and disappears completely down the drain.

You like me are a bit puzzled at these dry showers apparently being taken in some parts of the world.  Confused

Indeed, Jan, water saving has been a problem with blocking in our sewers too.

 splat 
 
dxing
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:14 pm

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:18 pm



Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
Um. It's urine, which is an aqueous solution. Thus, if you pee in a working shower, the urine is dispersed in the water and disappears completely down the drain.

Not to mention if you are in the shower, aren't you supposed to be using some sort of soap? If you are using a public facility, like at a camp ground, and not using some sort of footwear, what are you thinking?

Heck, there are people that tube a couple of nearby Texas rivers that will drink a six pack or more of beer during an afternoon and not get out of the river once to hit the head. I envy their bladders!
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 14002
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:59 pm

It'd save lots of water to have the return of the privvy, complete with stacks of junk mail to wipe your bum. Kills two birds with one stone!
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!
 
Rara
Posts: 2296
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:41 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:51 pm

I have to deal with stuff like that on a regular basis... my company works with several environmental campaigns. Some are quite good, others are mindnumbingly stupid.
The other day, somebody came up with the slogan "wouldn't it be great if everyone used electricity from renewable sources?" No shit, Einstein. Because that's totally possible in the year 2009.
It's on the campaign website now.  banghead 
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.
 
FlyDeltaJets87
Posts: 4479
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:51 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:28 pm



Quoting DXing (Reply 11):

Heck, there are people that tube a couple of nearby Texas rivers that will drink a six pack or more of beer during an afternoon and not get out of the river once to hit the head. I envy their bladders!

Classic Ron White routine!  biggrin 

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 2):
every man pees in the shower,or at least has done so. Not every man will admit to it as I'm sure the ensuing posts will prove. If you say you don't or have not, you are lying. Big grin Big grin It's akin to not admitting you never have or never have had a finger up your nose in the privacy of youself.

Just like masturbating. 80% of men admit to masturbation. The other 20% are liars.  wink 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001
 
canoecarrier
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:20 pm

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:52 pm



Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 6):
Another point is that the existing water and sewage systems require a minimum flow rate.

I've never seen this as a problem operationally though. Every treatment plant I've ever worked on is well over the minimum amount to run. I could see this being more of an issue on a smaller scale plant that services 100 units or so.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
Um. It's urine, which is an aqueous solution. Thus, if you pee in a working shower, the urine is dispersed in the water and disappears completely down the drain.

Ah, the dilution is the solution to pollution argument  Smile

Really, why not just build a better plant that includes secondary treatment with filtration and a higher level disinfection (like a UV-light disinfection) and use it to flush the toilets? You'd be surprised the things you can use reclaimed water for without having to pee in the shower. I'll still wear sandals though when I use a campground shower. People pee in those all the time.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
 
fruitbat
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:34 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:06 pm

This may be of interest....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...2009/aug/06/peeing-in-shower-rules

Love the idea of having etiquette rules for such a topic Big grin
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.
 
YVRLTN
Posts: 2268
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:49 pm

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:26 pm

I guess if you dont wipe your ass, you save paper and the rain forests..... oh wait, then you waste more water cleaning your undies...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR
 
A332
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:58 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Everyone is peeing in the shower already anyway, just no one is willing to admit it. We really won't be saving any significant amount of water when the few 'hold-outs' actually catch on to the idea... it's a moot point.

Peeing in the shower... peeing in the pool/hot tub/lake/river... it's already happening.  Wink
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 19821
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:05 pm



Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 14):

Just like masturbating. 80% of men admit to masturbation. The other 20% are liars. wink

There is the 0.03% who have no hands...  Wink
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
dragon-wings
Posts: 3907
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 4:55 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm

The second I saw this thread I thought of the Seinfeld episode where George peed in the shower and yells It's all pipes!!  laughing 
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano
 
User avatar
falstaff
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:17 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:40 pm



Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 2):
every man pees in the shower,or at least has done so.

I have done it many times. Too many to count really...

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
It's urine, which is an aqueous solution. Thus, if you pee in a working shower, the urine is dispersed in the water and disappears completely down the drain.

 checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 14):
Just like masturbating. 80% of men admit to masturbation. The other 20% are liars.

There are those that do it and those that lie about it.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
There is the 0.03% who have no hands...

I am sure they figured out a way to do it!
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503
 
globeex
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:33 pm

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:54 pm



Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 4):
Me finishing an overfull plate (filled by the grandma) would not have saved a child over there. I already noticed the lack of logic when I was five years old.

Well done Einstein!!!...... I was four!  Big grin Naa, but you are right. =)

Quoting Jush (Reply 7):
If your shower lasts longer because you are doing Nr. 1
in it you use considerably more water than if you just have a short shower and a little flush with the toilet.

Well, you could apply the sampoo while doing No.1. So maybe (as everyone is doing it already) their slogan should be "ALREADY APPLY THE SHAMPOO WHILE PEEING IN THE SHOWER, IT WILL SAVE MORE THAN 4000L PER YEAR!"

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 14):
Just like masturbating. 80% of men admit to masturbation. The other 20% are liars. wink

Who said I'm a liar!  Wink

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 17):
I guess if you dont wipe your ass, you save paper and the rain forests

Unfortunately most of the people who don't speak German won't understand what he is talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1pO3...aynext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=20
for those how don't speak German, I will translate: He first asks her how much toilette paper she needs for a No. 2. Than she shows him the amount, and then he explains her how to do it with one sheet. haha

GlobeEx
As you may presently yourself be fully made aware of, my grammar sucks.
 
kalakaua
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:23 pm

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:55 pm

I pee a lot everyday, because I drinks lots and lots of water. I only flush when my pee is yellow.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.
 
fruitbat
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:34 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:12 pm



Quoting Kalakaua (Reply 23):
I pee a lot everyday, because I drinks lots and lots of water. I only flush when my pee is yellow.


Reminds me of the water saving advice:

"If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down"

I'll get my coat.........

 embarrassed 
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 1809
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:09 pm



Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Rainy Ireland ? Its been flooding it down and yesterday it was like monsoon !! I was thinking if only I could send it over to Athens to put out the fires.

Hear hear Big grin don't talk to us Irish about saving water!
 
mham001
Posts: 4287
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:40 am



Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 2):
every man pees in the shower,or at least has done so. Not every man will admit to it as I'm sure the ensuing posts will prove.

A good majority of the women I've showered with do it with no shame. I don't see the problem, urine from a healthy person is sterile.
 
User avatar
afterburner
Posts: 1002
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:38 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:12 am



Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
Um. It's urine, which is an aqueous solution. Thus, if you pee in a working shower, the urine is dispersed in the water and disappears completely down the drain.

Well, he's a doctor and doctors know about hygiene more than most people. Whenever I need to pee while I'm showering, I just pee.  Smile
 
User avatar
LTU932
Posts: 13075
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:34 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:20 am

Quoting GlobeEx (Reply 22):
Well, you could apply the sampoo while doing No.1. So maybe (as everyone is doing it already) their slogan should be "ALREADY APPLY THE SHAMPOO WHILE PEEING IN THE SHOWER, IT WILL SAVE MORE THAN 4000L PER YEAR!"

That just reminded me of a bad blonde joke: Why is a blone woman walking around in the shower all the time? Because the shampoo bottle says "Wash n Go". (German original version: Warum läuft eine Blondine in der Dusche hin und her? Weil auf der Shampooflasche "Wash n Go" steht).

[Edited 2009-08-25 22:38:14]
 
TUNisia
Posts: 1515
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:24 am

RE: Pee In The Shower To Save The Rain Forests

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:28 am

When we recently renovated our new home we installed a waterless (no-flush) urinal in the guest bathroom downstairs.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/waterlessurinal.jsp
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MoonC, Mortyman and 10 guests