Stretch 8
Topic Author

UK PSA On Texting While Driving

Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Yesterday afternoon on CNN here in the States, CNN was running a story on the UK Public Service Announcement (PSA) on the dangers of texting while driving. I watched the full video on You Tube; while a bit over the top (the sound of one girl's neck snapping, the small child asking "when will my mommy and daddy wake up?", etc.), I thought it was highly effective.

Texting while driving is a huge problem. But the UK PSA makes it appear that it's really just a problem amongst dingbat teenage girls. If it were to be shown widely in the U.S., for example, some groups would likely complain that it's too graphic, while others would probably demand that a similar spot with stupid boys be made. Anyway, what do you think about the shock approach?
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Daleaholic

RE: UK PSA On Texting While Driving

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:04 pm

Using a phone while driving distracts you from the job at hand... Driving.

Simple as. It causes accidents.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

UN_B732

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Just watched this on YouTube. Really powerful stuff. Sure, it's not the typical sterilized stuff the American public seems used to, but if violence on TV is acceptable (which it is), this should be part of every Drivers' Ed course.

-A
What now?

Bongodog1964

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Whilst in the US a few weeks back, it was interesting to hear the US debate over texting whilst driving, knowing that not just texting, but the use of handheld phones for calls is illegal in the UK.

IHadAPheo

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Very nice PSA, I am shocked to see how many people text whilst driving. Seeing people next to you in the left turn lane texting away and when the light turns green away they go still looking down and texting .

Strangely here in New York State it is illegal to use a non-hands free mobile but testing is still legal. Several local municipalities are starting there own texting whilst driving laws but state wide it is still legal
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

photopilot

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Great Video and it should be mandatory for all people who drive.

I see texting all to often on the roads and it needs to be stopped.