TheGov
Topic Author

Barack Obama - One Term President?

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:18 am

While I know that every U. S. President starts on a high note and, once he has settled in, begins a slight slide in approval polls, do you think that, with an approval rating that his been sliding faster than usual, President Obama is a one term President? I realize that the election is about 38 months away and a lot can happen in that time, but he seems to me to be working his way towards a single administration. Granted, he was handed quite a full plate back in January, but it appears that he is now about to be overwhelmed by the addition of the universal health care issue. Even his most ardent supporters (the media) seem to be questioning his ability to lead. So, what do you think? One hit wonder or coming back for round two?
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

futurepilot16

RE: Barack Obama - One Term President?

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:29 am

I say no he is not. I know before long things will start to get better, unless of course if the republicans block and interrupt every legislation that he is trying to pass. I think even after four years, people will still remember the nightmare that Bush was. And besides, who would be elected besides Obama? Sarah Palin?  rotfl  . Man the day that happens, is the day I move to Canada. I hear they have a pretty good gov't, and someone as leader who actually knows that Africa is a continent.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

WarRI1

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:43 am

Like Yogi Berra said :It ain't over till it's over" I do not think anyone has anyway or any idea how this will all play out after such a short span of time.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Dreadnought

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:45 am

7 months into his first term, also with a struggling economy and a controversial election, GW Bush was at 55/36 in the Gallup polls at the end of August 2001 His peak was 63/22 that March.

Obama is at 50/42, and his peak was 69/13 back in January, in the same poll.

http://www.pollingreport.com/obama_job.htm#Gallup

According to the Wall Street Journal / NBC Poll, only 14% of Americans consider health care reform to be a top priority - they want Obama to concentrate on job creation and economic growth, the deficit and government spending instead. But Obama is spending all his political capital pursuing something that people do not want by an increasing majority. By that he'll just reinforce his image as arrogant, elitist, and interested more in his own agenda than the good of the country.

Now, it all depends on who ends up being the Republican front-runner, but assuming that Republicans can put up somebody solid, it looks like a 1-term presidency.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

WarRI1

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:49 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 2):
Like Yogi Berra said :It ain't over till it's over"

[quote=Dreadnought,reply=3]Now, it all depends on who ends up being the Republican front-runner, but assuming that Republicans can put up somebody solid, it looks like a 1-term presidency.

I will stick with Yogi.  Smile

Venus6971

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:09 am

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 1):
say no he is not. I know before long things will start to get better, unless of course if the republicans block and interrupt every legislation that he is trying to pass.

Republicans cannot stop anything, they don't have the numbers in either house. The Democrats are having trouble with their own members i.e. the Blue Dogs who were just elected in mainly GOP districts. Maxine Waters D Calif recently blamed Rahm Emanuel for this for getting all the Blue Dogs in Congress to get the majority, since they are conservative Dems they don't go along with the hard left that is all the leadership positions.
Tip O'neil said it best "All politics is Local". Would you want your rep voting a strict party line vote no matter how bad the legislation with no debate or would you want one looking out for their district and country.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

PPVRA

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:21 am

Way too soon to be determined. Remember, Bush got re-elected after what many thought was a disastrous first term. . . don't waste your time trying to figure out, politics doesn't make any sense.

[Edited 2009-08-30 20:26:58]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

futurepilot16

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:26 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 3):
7 months into his first term, also with a struggling economy and a controversial election, GW Bush was at 55/36 in the Gallup polls at the end of August 2001 His peak was 63/22 that March.

GWB had a struggling economy. Coming off the largest economic expansion in U.S. history and he had a struggling economy? Show me proof an i'll accept it.

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 5):
Republicans cannot stop anything, they don't have the numbers in either house.

Yea, but it doesn't stop them from getting their goons together to go out and fearmonger with all this crap about Obama wants to kill old people and whatnot and Obama wants to take peoples guns. People are very vulnerable to believe anythng they here, especially old people, and with the republicans spreading propoganda like this, we won't get anything done.

eaa3

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:30 am

It's the economy stupid.

Also I fear that Palin might guarantee him a second term.

Venus6971

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:33 am

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 7):
Yea, but it doesn't stop them from getting their goons together to go out and fearmonger with all this crap about Obama wants to kill old people and whatnot and Obama wants to take peoples guns. People are very vulnerable to believe anythng they here, especially old people, and with the republicans spreading propoganda like this, we won't get anything done.

The Dems also did this when they were out of power, alls fair in love and war. After Bush won in 2004 he tried to Social Security reform and the Dems started to tell the AARP crowd the Bush and the GOP wants to cut grandmas social security checks and have her starve. Welcome to big boy school.

JBirdAV8r

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:33 am

GWB had a struggling economy. Coming off the largest economic expansion in U.S. history and he had a struggling economy? Show me proof an i'll accept it.

There was a recession that started in late 2000.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

ltbewr

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:34 am

One cannot ignore the possibility, this coming from a loyal Democrat. Still, it would have take some situations occur including:
- The economy continues to falter, along with a high unemployment rate. The lousy economy of the 1973-1981 era saw 2 Presidents, Gerald Ford (R) and especially Jimmy Carter (D) (along with other factors, like the Iran-hostage Crises) who only served 1 term as an example.
- A significant terror event like 9/11 or even a fraction of it.
- Continuing warfare in Iraq, Afghanistan, and continuing high rates of dead or crippled American soldiers.
- Raising taxes on the 'middle class'. That would give a huge opening for the Republicans.
- The Democrats lose control of both the Congress and Senate in the 2010 elections.
- A serious botch job on a major disaster, like Katrina level.
- He pursues policies that are too benefiting for Black and other minorities in the eyes of moderate white independent voters.

jcs17

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:40 am

Yes and no.

Yes, in that he has plenty of time to save himself from political destruction by moving to the center a la Bill Clinton... you know, what his platform was originally.

No, in that it will never happen. Barack Obama is a committed leftist. He has far left leadership in Congress that he is beholden to, and he really believes in what the Progressive Caucus or his tens of czars believes in. He's too arrogant to think anything else no matter what the plummeting polls say is wrong.

As dumb as most moderates are, they know a Jimmy Carter when they see it.

At the end of the day the Democrats will lose big in 2010. Additionally, once Israel attacks Iran, you'll see a wishy-washy response from the administration. Unfortunately, you might see Hezbollah suicide bombings in the US afterwards. After that, goodbye Msr. Obama.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Venus6971

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:52 am

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 12):
Yes, in that he has plenty of time to save himself from political destruction by moving to the center a la Bill Clinton... you know, what his platform was originally.

Don't forget in 1994 Bill Clinton got a all Republican congress and contract with America that brought spending under better control of which Clinton the master politicion took credit for. Today all leadership in the Democratic party are committed leftist with their my way or the highway attitude. Just like the GOP before 2006 with the hard rightys not willing to compromise on anything.

dxing

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:02 am

unless of course if the republicans block and interrupt every legislation that he is trying to pass.

I'd love for you to give us all a civics lesson on how that is even remotely possible given the numbers in Congress.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 11):
Gerald Ford (R)

Caretaker, not elected and didn't even serve one full term.

All depends on two things, the economy and interest rates. If either one goes badly, it'll be one term and out.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Mir

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:30 am

Quoting TheGov (Thread starter):
Barack Obama - One Term President?

He hasn't even been a one year president yet - it's far too early to tell. The 2010 elections will tell us something, but even if the Democrats take a beating (which they well could), it doesn't necessarily mean the end for Obama in 2012.

There also is the issue that as of now, there is no prominent viable Republican out there to look toward. The Democrats had two post-2004: Obama and Clinton. The GOP has Palin, Jindal and Romney. Neither Palin nor Jindal have publicly done much to make a case for themselves yet, and Romney still has the same problems from the 2008 campaign - he just doesn't connect to people that well. The GOP has to find someone good, because they're not all that popular at the moment either, and they can't just throw anyone on their ticket and hope to win.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

dxing

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:42 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):
He hasn't even been a one year president yet - it's far too early to tell.

Sorry, that rings as hollow as "He hasn't even been in office for 6 months yet!". Yet in those six months he managed to spend more than the previous administration did in several years.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Longhornmaniac

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:01 am

Threads like these are so stupid... the election is still well more than 3 years away, and plenty of stuff is going to change in that time frame. 2009 will be a distant memory for the vast majority of the voting public.

- Obama has spent a lot of money, indeed, and most of it has yet to be spent. The economy is showing some signs of rebounding, and with most of the stimulus spent in the upcoming calendar year, I think those polls will come back up if the stimulus works as advertised...but who knows, it is politics after all.

- Obama bit off more than he could chew initially. He tried to be everything for everybody, and it wasn't going to work. I think he's started to figure that out, and made his priorities. The economy was the #1 priority, followed by health care.

- Comparing Obama's approval ratings to Bush's or anybody else's is really pretty stupid. Two entirely different circumstances.

- What happens in 2012 is just as much dependent on who the Republicans put up as how Obama has done.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

austinairport

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:25 am

Honestly, I see him being a 1 term president, only because the American people realize the danger in keeping someone in office too long (ahem, Bush). And with that taste in their mouth, they will prolly vote him out.
But no hard feelings. I feel like Obama, and his economic plans, have ultimately led to the stabilization of the economy on a global scale, and that's definitely not to say that he did it all, but I feel like he and his admin. helped a considerably large amount.
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

N174UA

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:45 am

I agree with those who say it's way too early to tell.

I do believe that the Dems will take a beating next year, but still hold on to Congress by the slimmest of margins, but their "mandate" will be gone, and it will be MUCH tougher to get anything done between '10 and '12.

It also depends on who goes up against Obama - if it is Palin, then he can probably keep screwing up like he has, and not worry about not being reelected. If the economy sours again, and the GOP runs Romney and Jindal as VP, then I think Obama will be gone.

Reagan had an awful recession in his first term, yet he won by a landslide in '84. Clinton moved to the center after his leftist garbage, and he handily beat Bob Dole in '96. So there is precedent here. If Obama can get over himself and move to the center, then it will be very difficult to defeat him in 2012. If he does get reelected, my prediction is that he would have a GOP Congress from 2013-2017, and will be a lame duck for his entire 2nd term.

We're still a center-right country, and the GOP is ahead 5 points on the generic Rasmussen congressional ballot right now. What that tells me is that the independents are losing faith fast. These were the folks who may have supported W, but were willing to give Obama a chance. If the independents remain unhappy, then it will be over for Pelosi and Obama.

Just my 2 cents.

Aaron747

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:09 am

Oh, so now an entire political movement is "dumb"? Moderates are dumb - source? Evidence? Citation? Those of us who reside comfortably in the center are by no means dumb - we're just less *blind* than those who are unable to tear themselves away from any number of completely ineffective ideologies.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

MadameConcorde

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:10 am

Too early to tell. So much can happen between now and the next election including totally unpredictable events.  Yeah sure
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

fridgmus

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 am

I sure hope so!

Man the day that happens, is the day I move to Canada.

Didn't a bunch of so-called celebrities say that when GWB got elected and then re-elected? I'll help you pack my friend!!!  smile 
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

kc135topboom

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:39 pm

Quoting TheGov (Thread starter):
Granted, he was handed quite a full plate back in January, but it appears that he is now about to be overwhelmed by the addition of the universal health care issue. Even his most ardent supporters (the media) seem to be questioning his ability to lead.

Bush did not leave him with a plate full of problems. Bush left him with suggested solutions, yet Obama went his own way. He has already spent more money than all previous Presidents, and he has only been in office for 7 months. Health care is his own doing, he choose to put that little gem on his plate himself.

I know before long things will start to get better, unless of course if the republicans block and interrupt every legislation that he is trying to pass. I think even after four years, people will still remember the nightmare that Bush was. And besides, who would be elected besides Obama? Sarah Palin?

How can the Repubs derail anything of BHO's right now. You said it, now go on, tell us how.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 6):
Way too soon to be determined.

Correct.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 6):
Bush got re-elected after what many thought was a disastrous first term. .

Perthaps, but the Dems nominated someone who scared them more than Bush. They nominated Kerry.

Yea, but it doesn't stop them from getting their goons together to go out and fearmonger with all this crap about Obama wants to kill old people and whatnot and Obama wants to take peoples guns.

People are very vulnerable to believe anythng they here, especially old people, and with the republicans spreading propoganda like this, we won't get anything done.

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 9):
Welcome to big boy school.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 10):

There was a recession that started in late 2000.

Correct, as a result of the dot com bubble burst under Clinton in July 2000.

http://www.nber.org/cycles/november2001/hall_files/image002.gif

continuing high rates of dead or crippled American soldiers

Prove that statement. It is unfortunate that we loose any of our finest, or any of them get hurt. But, when you put all of the Iraq and Afghanistan numbers together, over the past 8 years, you come up with the same as one month of Vietnam calsuaties.

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 22):

Didn't a bunch of so-called celebrities say that when GWB got elected and then re-elected? I'll help you pack my friend!!!

Yes, they did, I will also help FuturePilot16 pack, I'll even bring my truck and drive him to the boarder.

BA

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:51 pm

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 22):

Didn't a bunch of so-called celebrities say that when GWB got elected and then re-elected?

Funny, I was watching the HBO documentary Right America: Feeling Wronged, and several of the McCain supporters interviewed stated they would move to Canada if Obama won the elections.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

JBirdAV8r

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:11 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 24):

Funny, I was watching the HBO documentary Right America: Feeling Wronged, and several of the McCain supporters interviewed stated they would move to Canada if Obama won the elections.

Which proves that the country has melodramatic whiners of every persuasion.

max550

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:11 pm

The guy has been in office for 8 months and 11 days, isn't it a bit early to discuss whether he'll be re-elected? I think Republicans ought to focus on the people who are up in 2010 right now, then worry about Obama.

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 23):

Funny how Republicans blame Bush's woes on Clinton while Obama is 100% responsible for the economy we have now.

JBirdAV8r

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:02 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 26):
Obama is 100% responsible for the economy we have now.

Who has said this? I've not seen it.

EGTESkyGod

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:29 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 2):
Like Yogi Berra said :It ain't over till it's over"

... Yogi Bear...? That's a joke name, right?! LMFAO!!!
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

futurepilot16

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:31 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 28):

Yeah that's the nickname of a legendary baseball player. And it's Yogi Berra.

Rara

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:54 pm

http://xkcd.com/180/  Smile
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

n229nw

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:34 pm

This thread is a joke, right? Waaaaay too early to tell...

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 28):

The character Yogi Bear was named after the baseball player "yoggi" Berra...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

cws818

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:35 pm

Bush did not leave him with a plate full of problems.

True. Bush left Obama with an entire buffet full of problems.
volgende halte...Station Hollands Spoor

ipodguy7

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:39 pm

I pray to God that he will be a one term president, if he hasn't destroyed America and seized absolute power by then.
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ

fr8mech

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:46 pm

His presidency is poisoned by Pelosi, Reid and gang.

It's poisoned by an economy that won't recover as quickly as it should because of HIS policies.

It will be poisoned by the fact that he will not pass this POS healthcare bill that he and his gang have been trying to peddle. It will be the big nail.

Poisoned by a record defiit. More than any other president/administration/congress has ever produced.

Tell me...what has gone right so far? By his tacit command 3 pirates were killed. Will that be the highlight of his presidency? He still has time, but he's way out of his depth.

428 days until we flip Congress.

1238 days until the door hits him in the ass.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

NIKV69

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:56 pm

unless of course if the republicans block and interrupt every legislation that he is trying to pass.

I love how the left here just say things that make no sense just to bash us. You forget you don't need any republican votes to pass anything you want? Just like your health care bill that has zero chance because how many Dems will not vote for it? Just once I would love a thread without the propaganda here.

As for Obama he will be a one termer. He has already shown us he is grossly incompetent and has no idea what he is doing once he can't get up in front of a teleprompter.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

QXatFAT

Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:38 am

Quoting Ipodguy7 (Reply 33):

Part of the poisening is the likes of the wacko left in the House, yes, but a lot of it is his own poisening. The man I honestly believe can not handle this high honor of being the President. One, he is having all these Czars run his stuff and make his choices and Two, he really isnt making any of his own choices. He is playing puppet or is going around in circles chasing his tail!

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 35):
Just once I would love a thread without the propaganda here.

I second that!

I believe President Obama will be a one term President. He is not showing any leadership qualities that I think America is really looking for (of course my opinion from many people I hear). Either a Moderate Democrat will be elected after him or a Moderate Republican. No more of this streight "left" guy/gal or "right" guy/gal. If the cards fall into the right place, we could have a 3rd party make a good run for it next election.
Don't Tread On Me!

max550

Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:50 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 27):
Who has said this? I've not seen it.

From talking to people at the couple town halls I've gone to that's the impression I've gotten. I know it's exaggerating to say 100%, but not much. Half the people I talked to said the worst thing Obama has done has been the bank bailouts. Think about that for a second, who bailed out the banks?

I pray to God that he will be a one term president, if he hasn't destroyed America and seized absolute power by then.

Don't worry, America will take much longer than 4 years to destroy. We've gotten through 200+ years, including a war between 2 sides, and we still exist. I don't think he'll be able to destroy it that fast.

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 34):
It's poisoned by an economy that won't recover as quickly as it should because of HIS policies.

What policies?

Poisoned by a record defiit. More than any other president/administration/congress has ever produced.

What would it be if McCain were President right now? We were already headed for a record, revenues are down and spending is up, so of course we're going to have a deficit.

[Edited 2009-08-31 18:01:57]

WarRI1

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:34 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 31):
The character Yogi Bear was named after the baseball player "yoggi" Berra...

The cartoon creators of Yogi Bear denied that according to Wikipedia. The nickname came from someone saying he looked like a Hindu Holy Man, and it stuck. Real name, Lawrence Peter Berra for the record. I will still stick with Yogi and his "It ain't over till it's over" as far as OBama and one term. You predictors of one term, are no match for Yogi's saying. It still rings true.  Smile

fr8mech

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:51 am

Quoting Max550 (Reply 37):
What policies?

Stimulus, for one. The record inflation that's going to hit when we have to start printing money to cover the deficit. Out-of-control spending. Though I will admit, Bush was no saint here.

What would it be if McCain were President right now? We were already headed for a record, revenues are down and spending is up, so of course we're going to have a deficit.

I'd hazard that it would be a whole lot less than it is now. Deficit, yes, but this crap? No way.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

WarRI1

Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:04 am

Yes, I know Obama, before I get chastised for a typo. The fingers do not follow the brain too well, or vise versa.  Smile

us330

Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:30 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 6):
Bush got re-elected after what many thought was a disastrous first term. . . don't waste your time trying to figure out, politics doesn't make any sense

Look who he was up against--John Kerry--not exactly known for being able to connect with the voters.

Quoting Eaa3 (Reply 8):
It's the economy stupid.

Exactly--the election will be determined by how people's pocketbooks are doing come voting time. People have incredibly short memories, and so they forget that McCain and Obama were neck and neck until Lehman Brothers collapsed in mid-September. After that, it was pretty much a given Obama would win.

No, in that it will never happen. Barack Obama is a committed leftist. He has far left leadership in Congress that he is beholden to, and he really believes in what the Progressive Caucus or his tens of czars believes in. He's too arrogant to think anything else no matter what the plummeting polls say is wrong.

At the end of the day the Democrats will lose big in 2010. Additionally, once Israel attacks Iran, you'll see a wishy-washy response from the administration. Unfortunately, you might see Hezbollah suicide bombings in the US afterwards. After that, goodbye Msr. Obama.

You've touched on a very good point--the guy's arrogance, and his ego, which will probably be his undoing. He doesn't seem to realize that people were falling in love with the image they projected onto him, not what positions he represented.

Quoting BA (Reply 24):
Funny, I was watching the HBO documentary Right America: Feeling Wronged, and several of the McCain supporters interviewed stated they would move to Canada if Obama won the elections

Considering how many people from both sides have made that proclamation, how is Canada not bursting at the seams with Americans?

max550

Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:33 am

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 39):
Stimulus, for one. The record inflation that's going to hit when we have to start printing money to cover the deficit. Out-of-control spending. Though I will admit, Bush was no saint here.

It was already over $1.1T. Yes, it's gone up and I don't think we can continue this into the future, but it's not all created by Obama, we'd be in a similar position no matter who was elected.

I'd hazard that it would be a whole lot less than it is now. Deficit, yes, but this crap? No way.

I thought this was interesting, I was reading the other day about a guy that had compared the McCain and Obama deficits and McCain's would be 93% of what Obama's is. It's all from CBO numbers, so make what you want of it, but I found it to be an interesting comparison.
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/...-deficit-just-as-bad-under-mccain/

WarRI1

Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:47 am

Quoting Max550 (Reply 42):
It was already over $1.1T. Yes, it's gone up and I don't think we can continue this into the future, but it's not all created by Obama, we'd be in a similar position no matter who was elected

Now that statement is not going to be too poular among the right side of the aisle on here, why that cannot be, isn't everything Obama's fault in his short term? Forget the previous years, let us blame the last seven months for all the countrys troubles. Tunnel vison is rampant on here at times.

Mir

Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:52 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 16):
Sorry, that rings as hollow as "He hasn't even been in office for 6 months yet!". Yet in those six months he managed to spend more than the previous administration did in several years.

Yeah, and if we were electing presidents every six months that would be relevant. But we're not, so it isn't.

See where the country is in two years at the midterm elections, and then you can start determining whether his policies are having a positive effect or not. The answer to that question might change from what it is now, or it might not. But judging a head of state based on a body of work less than a year long makes no sense at all.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

captaink

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:01 pm

- He pursues policies that are too benefiting for Black and other minorities in the eyes of moderate white independent voters.

What is that supposed to mean. I think the US wasn't segregated nation? :S
There is something special about planes....

cws818

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:18 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 45):

What is that supposed to mean. I think the US wasn't segregated nation? :S

Well, officially, segregation in the US ended with Chief Justice Warren's unanimous opinion in "Brown v. Bd. of Education."

Sadly, there exist some who resist the reality pursuant to "Brown."

Such individuals seem determined to make sure that their business relations are not unduly troubled, or affected by, or cognizant of, any and all socio-cultural advances made since the end of the Truman administration.

[Edited 2009-09-01 06:20:46]

[Edited 2009-09-01 06:21:29]
volgende halte...Station Hollands Spoor

kc135topboom

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Funny how Republicans blame Bush's woes on Clinton while Obama is 100% responsible for the economy we have now.

But, Bush didn't cry about what "he inharited". He knew about it going into office, including all the "W" buttons removed from all the keyboards.

Who has said this?

Joe Biden.

Quoting Cws818 (Reply 32):
Bush left Obama with an entire buffet full of problems.

Didn't BHO read any newspapers, or watch any news of TV last year? He knew all about all the problems that Bush didn't have time left to work on, and Bush worked on Presidential problems right up to 12:00 pm on 20 Jan. 2009.

It will be poisoned by the fact that he will not pass this POS healthcare bill that he and his gang have been trying to peddle. It will be the big nail.

Tell me...what has gone right so far? By his tacit command 3 pirates were killed. Will that be the highlight of his presidency? He still has time, but he's way out of his depth.

Didn't he say the recession was over in Feb. when he signed the "stimulus bill"? No0w he is saying unemployment will be in double digets by the end of this year. Why? Because he has put more than 3,000,000 Americans out of work since he signed that bill, but he did give some people $250.

428 days until we flip Congress.

checkmark 

1238 days until the door hits him in the ass.

checkmark 

Don't worry, America will take much longer than 4 years to destroy. We've gotten through 200+ years, including a war between 2 sides, and we still exist. I don't think he'll be able to destroy it that fast.

But he is trying.................

Think about that for a second, who bailed out the banks?

The US Congress did, Bush signed the bill, and (then) Senator Obama voted for it.

What policies?

The government take over of GM and Chrysler, handing them over to the unions, and firing the CEO of GM. The "stimulus package" that has thrown 3M people out of work and has increased unemployment. The printing press that are running overtime in Fort Worth (printing dollars) that will cause inflation. The letting black panthers go after they intimidated voters in Philly during the last election, ACORN's voter registration. Hiring ACORN to do the US Cenceses. The AF-1 fly over photo op. The taking Michell on a date to NYC at hugh tax payer expense. The deficit spending since he has been in office is more than the US government has ever spent.

Do you need more?

We wouldn't be trying to print our way out of a recession. We wouldn't be trying to pass a health care reform bill just to help 15% of the people, while screwing more than 4 out of every 5 Americans.

What policies?

Stimulus, for one. The record inflation that's going to hit when we have to start printing money to cover the deficit. Out-of-control spending.

See above.

Quoting Us330 (Reply 41):
John Kerry--not exactly known for being able to connect with the voters.

John Kerry cannot connect to reality, either.

czbbflier

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:46 pm

I hear they have a pretty good gov't, and someone as leader who actually knows that Africa is a continent.

LOL- You don't know Canadian politicians!

Quoting N174UA (Reply 19):
If Obama can get over himself and move to the center, then it will be very difficult to defeat him in 201

I don't think it's a matter of Obama 'getting over himself' or any other of the theories that I've read in this thread.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Obama wants health care reform while he KNOWS he has a majority in both houses. With or without health care reform, that most likely won't be the case after the elections in 2010. So he'll push hard for the reforms right up until campaigning for the Mid-Terms begins in earnest. (Which will be sooner than usual)

I suspect wants to have the whole thing passed by then. Then he'll move on the political spectrum to match the new balance of power in Congress which means he will then follow Clinton's lead and move to the Right / Centre.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 20):
Moderates are dumb - source? Evidence? Citation? Those of us who reside comfortably in the center are by no means dumb - we're just less *blind* than those who are unable to tear themselves away from any number of completely ineffective ideologies.

I'm not presuming to speak for Jcs17, my friend, but it seems to me this was an unintentional shorthand for saying that "voters" are a) ficle and; b) forgetful. He speaks of 'moderates' because generally those who are not moderates vote along party/ideological lines and tend not to forget even the smallest perceived slight or conspiracy.

Quoting BA (Reply 24):
Funny, I was watching the HBO documentary Right America: Feeling Wronged, and several of the McCain supporters interviewed stated they would move to Canada if Obama won the elections

LOL. Does that mean that we have to build TWO series of refugee camps now? One series for Democrats and the other for Republicans?

JBirdAV8r

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 47):

Who has said this?

Joe Biden.

rotfl  And people say Sarah Palin would have made a dumb VP?