EISHN
Topic Author

What's The Best Brew Of Tea Out There?

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:14 am

For years I've been drinking regular, ordinary tea, provided by the usual Irish brands, recently they've been using fair trade tea bags.
I've grown bored with them, and found a box of Earl Greys in the kitchen last week. I must say, I do like it quite a bit, but fear Imay grow tired of it soon.

Can anyone suggest a truly delicious brand or collection of tea loves I should try?

Cheers
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

HAWK21M

RE: What's The Best Brew Of Tea Out There?

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:25 am

Def Dargeeling tea......maybe try the Masala chai out here.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

EISHN
Topic Author

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 am

I've heard of Dargeeling before. I'll put it on the list!

Thanks
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

MadameConcorde

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 am

I never use tea bags. Always buying bulk tea leaves.

This is my tea provider. I am an old client.

http://www.mariagefreres.com/

Make sure you vist if you ever go to Paris.
Have a look at the website just for the pleasure of your eyes.

There must be some equivalent sellers in your own country.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

BCAL

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:27 am

Everyone's tastes are different. Some people like red bush tea others think it tastes like cat's pee. Earl Grey has an acquired taste.

The best way to find the best brew of tea is to buy a taster's pack from a reputable blender and see which you like best. Taylor's of Harrogate would be a good place to start, or try Twinings as both will deliver to Ireland.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Nimish

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:37 am

I use a variety of teas every day - mornings are Earl Grey with milk, and the rest of the day is a combination of Darjeeling, Oolong, Green, Earl Grey etc. without milk/Sugar.

I've been trying to avoid coffee, milk and sugar wherever possible, so end up drinking tons of "black" tea (though not black tea).

My favorite is Earl Grey, recently tried "Earl Grey Green tea" as well - that was really nice.

Green tea is supposed to be healthy - that's the main reason I drink it. Don't really like it too much, but it's not too bad.

Darjeeling/ Oolong are very different (and nice). I guess they're heated/ fermented etc. and the liquor is much stronger and tastier (than green)...

Ultimately it's a very personal taste, and you'll have to try a bunch to figure out which you really like.

My friend loves Camomille, but I detest the stuff. My wife doesn't fancy any o fthe teas that I drink, she like regular "Assam" team - kind of like "English Breakfast".
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

RussianJet

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:41 am

Quoting Nimish (Reply 5):
she like regular "Assam" tea

Good quality Assam tea is a terrific, rich and robust tasting tea. One of my very favourites.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

EISHN
Topic Author

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks for all your help everyone, it's very much appreciated.

I have great list of new teas to try out. Can't wait!

Thanks again

comorin

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:12 pm

My tea-snob friends go for PG Tips, available in the UK and Canada.

I personally like the heartiness of an Assam (Orange Pekoe) tea, the favored roadside beverage across India.

Earl Grey contains Bergamot which gives it that unique flavor, I liked it at first but not anymore.

Add Lapsang Souchou to your list of teas to try.

Revelation

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:03 pm

My friend loves Camomille, but I detest the stuff.

The only tea I don't like is the kind served at Thai restaurants, it's got that strong, burnt taste. It must be an acquired taste, one that I have yet to acquire.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

garnetpalmetto

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:07 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 8):
Add Lapsang Souchou to your list of teas to try

Blech - tastes like asphalt, if you ask me - must be an acquired taste!

By no means are they a high-end blend, I'm sure, but I rather like the freshness that comes as a result of domestically grown teas. Of course, that the tea plantation is in my birth state is also nice:

http://www.bigelowtea.com/act/

While partnered with Bigelow, the Charleston Tea Plantation has a good bit of autonomy within the structure.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

ammunition

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:53 pm

I dont know what the best one is, but Earl Grey must be towards the bottom of that list!

My normal tea is the standard (mass produced) PG Tips or Tetley- and i love it.
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

fca767

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 pm

Quoting Ammunition (Reply 11):
I dont know what the best one is, but Earl Grey must be towards the bottom of that list!

My normal tea is the standard (mass produced) PG Tips or Tetley- and i love it.

Me too...I don't like tea that has things added like orange...

signol

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:51 pm

she like regular "Assam" tea

I love Assam too. One of the best.

I'd avoid Lapsang Suchong though - that does taste like boiled tree bark.
Green is ok, I usually have it in Vietnamese restaurants (if they ask "bag or flower?" go for the flower!)
Red bush (roibos) too is ok, but I prefer it with milk.

I'm currently on Tetley's Decaf, probably the best English decaf tea out there.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

RussianJet

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:53 pm

Quoting Fca767 (Reply 12):
Me too...I don't like tea that has things added like orange...

Would you say that flavoured teas are just not your cup of tea? You should try them, it might prove quite a novel-tea.

Taxi for RussianJet...... duck 
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Boeing74741R

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:54 pm

I currently drink Tetley's Extra Strong. You do notice the difference, especially if you drink it from a smaller cup.

max999

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:04 pm

My favorite green tea is Pearl Jasmine. http://www.tenren.com/pearljasmine.html

Quote:
After the tea has been scented, the leaves are hand rolled into pearl shaped balls which gives this tea its name. When steeped, these leaves unroll and produce a tea with a pronounced floral and fresh green tea scent, a full-bodied refreshing sweet taste, and a pleasing long lasting floral aftertaste. The hue of this tea is a light peach color.

My favorite black tea for use with milk is this blend of Assam tea made by Harney and Sons, a high quality tea company in Connecticut. http://www.harney.com/Organic-Assam-...-in-4-ounce-tin/productinfo/44254/

[Edited 2009-08-31 11:09:09]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

BA

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:59 pm

I like many different teas, but the one I drink on a daily basis is just a simple Ceylon black tea.

This is a great brand:

"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

srbmod

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:13 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 8):
My tea-snob friends go for PG Tips, available in the UK and Canada.

You find PG Tips here in the States. If there's a shop in your area that sells British or Irish goods, you can find it there. I've even found them at Cost Plus World Market (They sell all sorts of international foods and beverages).

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 10):
http://www.bigelowtea.com/act/

While my employee manufactures their own brands of tea for iced tea and do the smaller bags for hot tea (the same blend they use for the iced teas just using the smaller pieces of tea), we carry a decent selection of Bigelow Teas.

Myself, I've long been an Earl Grey fan. English Breakfast, English Tea Time, and Prince of Wales aren't too bad, but I still love a cup of Earl Grey. Some of the best Earl Grey I've ever had was a number years back when my stepdad went to London and brought me back a box of loose Earl Grey from Harrod's.

Phoenix9

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:18 pm

I prefer Darjeeling or Assam tea. Don't like Earl Grey or English breakfast too much and feel that they are pretty weak for my taste.

Usually I add a bit of my personal blend of spices (masala) to give it some extra flavour.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

IH8BY

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:35 pm

On a daily basis I drink Ringtons Northern Choice (www.ringtons.co.uk), which is a strong loose black tea. For afternoons where something more subtle is appropriate, a cup or two of Darjeeling usually does the trick.

Lady Grey, however, is my guilty pleasure.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

Scooter01

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:53 pm

My wife is the tea-drinker in our household -Twinnings Earl Grey. I have been known to drink some too on a rare occasion, with milk and sugar.
However, if some South American (Argentinian) guest shows up, bringing some dried mate-leaves, yummy 
-I have the silver bombadillas and the drinkingcups made of dried gourds.

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

ipodguy7

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:42 pm

the best tea is some good old fashioned Southern Sweet Tea ( i prefer Liptons)
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ

PPVRA

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:56 pm

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 21):
However, if some South American (Argentinian) guest shows up, bringing some dried mate-leaves, yummy
-I have the silver bombadillas and the drinkingcups made of dried gourds.

I'm not a tea person, but I love Mate. I prefer it iced but hot is fine too.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Nimish

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 am

Ah - just remembered - Jasmine is one of my regular day time teas - Just love the stuff! It's unfortunately very rare in India, so I have to buy most of it during an overseas trip.

Twinings Assam tea bags are surprisingly good (and cheap) - about $1.8/100 bags (bulk packing) here in India.

Twinings Earl Grey is definitely more expensive - about $6/100 tea bags (individually wrapped).

A "bastard" tea I really like is "bubble tea" - popular in south east asia  Smile

The tea served in Malaysia in the roadside stalls is quite nice - the strong/sweet taste of the condensed milk used goes quite well with the "red color" tea that's produced...

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:25 am

Out here in Mumbai.
The roadside Chaiwalla serves fantastic masala chai at a cheap rate & its quite popular,All the Ingredients are boiled together & served in small glasses,if the glass is half full its called "cutting"  Smile

Currently Green tea is getting popular as its considered immunity boosting.

regds
MEL.

fca767

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:02 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 14):
Would you say that flavoured teas are just not your cup of tea? You should try them, it might prove quite a novel-tea.

Taxi for RussianJet

haha! Big grin I think I've tried earl grey once in a UK hotel, it's quite funny because most people in the UK don't get introduced to those types as much as say PG tips and Tetley...it seems though that hotels do this for tourists visiting though...I also saw the iced tea thing when I went to the USA...I also drink coffee midday  Smile

sunshine79

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:14 am

For normal tea, I use PG Tips, which I love, it's a pity the machine at work dosen't use them. For other tea, I use Tetley green tea bags, and a favourite of mine at the moment is Asda's apple flavour green tea, which I take to work to drink. I do have a slight obsession for Turkish apple tea at the moment, thanks to my parents who brought some back from Turkey for themselves and I ended up with it hehe Big grin
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

PIA777

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:24 am

My favoites are:

Tea India

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

PIA777

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:31 am

I also like this brand also:

Stuff like Earl Grey and lipton just does not do it for me.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

TransIsland

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:09 pm

Just for the novelty, may I suggest cerasee tea?

It's positively vile, but it helps when you have a cold or the flu. I have a cerasee bush in my garden, so I can make fresh tea, as you don't necessarily need to dry the leaves first, but I tend to keep a box of the above brand in my pantry, too.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

MadameConcorde

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:49 am

My tea store pictures report from my last visit there at the time of the Paris Air Show.

This is Mariage Frères  trophy 

They are located in the old traditional district of Le Marais right in the center of Paris.

The Metro station

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/CDG1/forums%20mix/P1050869.jpg

Store window

Tea sets. I have the white porcelain set on the lower left

The store is all wood inside. Very beaufitul and warm

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/CDG1/forums%20mix/P1050865.jpg

You will be handed a list with all the different teas and prices. The sales men are multilingual.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/CDG1/forums%20mix/P1050861.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/CDG1/forums%20mix/P1050864.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/CDG1/forums%20mix/P1050863.jpg

In the same premises there is also a restaurant/tea room and a Tea Museum upstairs.
Their teas come from India, Ceylon, China, Japan, Indonesia, Kenya and the whole world.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/CDG1/forums%20mix/P1050866.jpg

The place is a landmark. Well worth a visit if you go to Paris.

(somehow I cannot get some of these pictures straightened out. Bad on Photobucket!)
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

ferengi80

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:54 am

mornings are Earl Grey with milk

The perfect way to ruin a good cup of Earl Grey is to add milk! It is best to drink it black, with maybe a slice of Lemon.

My favourite tea is Tetley, although I am not much of a tea drinker, much preferring coffee.

If you're buying tea outside of the UK, I would recommend you buy Twinings brand. They do a fine selection of teas, both leaf tea and tea bags. Their English Breakfast Tea is a particularly pleasant tea, mid strength, nice with or without milk. They also do one of the finest Earl Grey's around. Plus, it's the tea of choice for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010

EISHN
Topic Author

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:26 am

Hey everyone, just want to say thanks for all the suggestions.

Does anyone know the name of a south african tea, I tried it a few years ago in Seattle, the person who made it for me had spent time in SA and now orders his tea off the web. I remember it having a strong taste, very earthy, but still nice.

Yellowstone

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:33 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 33):
Does anyone know the name of a south african tea, I tried it a few years ago in Seattle, the person who made it for me had spent time in SA and now orders his tea off the web. I remember it having a strong taste, very earthy, but still nice.

Rooibos?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

BCAL

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 34):
Quoting EISHN (Reply 33):

Rooibos?

Rooibos (aka Red Bush tea) is most likely but it might also have been Honeybush tea.

For everyday drinking I prefer Yorkshire Gold Blend tea and Rooibos with citrus at night. I also enjoy Earl Grey, strictly without milk or, heaven forbid, sugar and preferably made from loose leaf tea rather than a teabag. After meals I adore either Formosa Ooolong or Gunpowder Green.

Why is it that you can go to an upmarket restaurant and (excluding Chinese or Thai restaurants) they will willingly serve you a cappuchino, but ask for some tea and they immediately turn their noses up and perhaps say something along the lines, "tea is for common people". Tea is much better for helping digestion.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

ALexeu

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Is there anyone out here that likes smoky tea?

skywatch

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 17):
This is a great brand:

Love that stuff!

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 34):
Rooibos?

Yep, that's it! I got a big box of Freshpak rooibus while I was in Lesotho this summer. So good on a cold morning!

I also favor Masala Chai, Jasmine Green, Assam, and Cardamom teas.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

fatmirjusufi

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:45 pm

Ever tried Turkish tea?
Anyway we name it as a Russian tea (Çaj rusi)! Don't know why! Big grin

DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

OA260

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Hard to beat PG Tipps loose leaf.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

BigTom

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:49 am

I prefer black teas especially Indian and Sri Lankan varieties. Loose leaf - if properly stored - is far more flavourful than bags. Here are some of my favourites ..

Kanan Devan tea from the hills of Kerala

Mlesna from Sri Lanka

Dilmah from Sri Lanka

cws818

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:55 am

I am becoming more and more of a fan of white tea. Plain white tea has a mild, creamy, almost nutty flavor, more antioxidants but less caffeine than green tea. There is a local place in Los Angeles that has a peach ginger white tea that is great over ice.
volgende halte...Station Hollands Spoor

Nimish

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 am

Quoting Ferengi80 (Reply 32):
The perfect way to ruin a good cup of Earl Grey is to add milk! It is best to drink it black, with maybe a slice of Lemon.

I need a bit of energy/sugar in the mornings to help me wake up - and the full fat milk in the tea provides me that! I often have black Earl Gray during the day, and to be honest, I prefer it with milk, much more of a "rounded and balanced" flavor...

HAWK21M

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:01 am

Is there any paced version of the local masala cutting chai available in packs.
regds
MEL.

AirframeAS

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:05 am

This is what I drink....

http://popsop.ru/wp-content/uploads/selestial_seasonings.jpg

drool 
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

fca767

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:44 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 31):
The place is a landmark. Well worth a visit if you go to Paris.

(somehow I cannot get some of these pictures straightened out. Bad on Photobucket!)

Apart from the posh men in suits that ignored our lost plea...
I did love how paris makes you feel that your alive...and not in a partying way but just the shops and buildings...
We went to Madaleine and trying to find the Hotel on the corner of the square down a side street took us about 20 Minutes even though I went there a year ago Big grin