wilco737

Movie Continuity. Very Interesting

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi guys,

the other day I was reading at www.imdb.com (the internet movie database) and I came across the section "goofs".

I didn't know that there are so many mistakes being made...

Sometimes all of us find some funny or interesting mistakes in movies, but some people seem to try to find them all.
There is also a job called "continuity" in movie making. They try to prevent these mistakes, but even they are not perfect Big grin

Just an example from the movie Titanic (don't worry, not my favorite movie, but I was always very interested in the story around Titanic):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120338/goofs

Check it out.... It is a LONG read. Many historical mistakes, many continuity mistakes... etc etc.  Smile

Have you foud any mistakes in movies which you noticed instantly?

wilco737

Fly2HMO

RE: Movie Continuity. Very Interesting

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:51 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Thread starter):
Have you found any mistakes in movies which you noticed instantly?

I remember when I first watched Matrix 1 I cought MANY before I ever new the IMDB site existed. I'm nerdy like that and I try to find those things when watching movies. Big grin

The most famous blooper is in Star Wars when a storm trooper bangs his head against a door in episode 4, I never actually noticed it until a few years ago and I've watched it many times since a very early age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLDOojAYwHA

It is only in the original unedited versions of the movie i.e. prior to the re-release

wilco737

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:56 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 1):
he most famous blooper is in Star Wars when a storm trooper bangs his head against a door in episode 4, I never actually noticed it until a few years ago and I've watched it many times since a very early age.

laughing  Didn't know that. Very funny... That is one of the goofs I like Big grin

wilco737

Luftfahrer

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:01 pm

There's a dedicated site called http://www.moviemistakes.com/. I occasionally read there, and sometimes it's really amazing to see how much has gone wrong in just one movie. But somehow I never notice any mistakes when watching them. Only easter eggs Big grin
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

santosdumont

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:06 pm

There's a pre-imdb goof in "Die Hard 2", where the payphones at IAD have Pacific Bell logos.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

nighthawk

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 3):
There's a dedicated site called http://www.moviemistakes.com/. I occasionally read there, and sometimes it's really amazing to see how much has gone wrong in just one movie. But somehow I never notice any mistakes when watching them. Only easter eggs Big grin

thats practically the oldest sight on the internet - where have you been hiding Phil?  Silly

wilco737

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 5):
thats practically the oldest sight on the internet - where have you been hiding Phil?  

behind the moon.... Big grin No, seriously, never saw that website... Never actually cared about mistakes in movies until now Big grin

wilco737

rfields5421

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:50 pm

Many years ago I got the opportunity to be an extra on a movie filmed on Antigua.

The person I admired the most was the "script girl".

She had this massive three ring binder set of notebooks with the script and page after page of notes, polaroid photographs, sketches, etc.

They would take a polariod of us before the action in every scene (and everyone else), and then again when the scene stopped.

We saw some scenes shot eight or nine times from different angles. This lady had to get everyone in exactly the same spot before each shooting, and verify they ended up in the right spots at the end of the scene.

We were called back after five weeks because they did not like the scene where we were killed. She was responsible for making sure we had the same uniforms, the same mud stains on the pants, the same guns, the same web gear.

When we saw the movie a year later, we were able to tell that parts of the two different shootings were combined to make the final scene.

Movies are the world's most complex jigsaw puzzles. It's amazing to me that there are as few mistakes as we catch.

EWRCabincrew

Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:35 pm

My husband has always said I should get a job doing continuity. I will watch a mvie twice, once for the movie content and the second time for the continuity problems. Huge nerd about it.
You can't cure stupid

dtwclipper

Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:45 pm

One of the best is from "The Green Berets":

The famous goof at the end of the movie where the characters watch the sunset over the ocean is impossible as the coast in this section, as well as virtually all of, Vietnam faces East.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063035/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTnXfZOc8sw
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

NSMike

Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:58 pm

The movie "Commando" is so full of them we used to make a drinking game of it while we watched.
Pearl Snares, Taye Drums, Sabian Cymbals, Remo Heads, Los Cabos Sticks