Dreadnought
Topic Author

9/12 Protests At The Mall

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:29 pm

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said yesterday that he was “unaware” of any protests being held on 9/12….hmmmm….hundreds of thousands of people show up just down the street from the WH…and the WH is “unaware”?

Anyone here actually go to Washington?

Here is a time lapse of traffic camera video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sjvc6baor8&feature=player_embedded

Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

Tiger119

RE: 9/12 Protests At The Mall

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:37 pm

I wish I was there, i would have been proud.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

Aaron747

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:52 pm

I still say regardless of the cause, people shouldn't be prostituting their kids for what they believe by having them hold signs they barely understand. Nothing is more stomach turning in American political discourse than the thousands of kids paraded in front of cameras on behalf of their malcontent parental units.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):
I still say regardless of the cause, people shouldn't be prostituting their kids for what they believe by having them hold signs they barely understand. Nothing is more stomach turning in American political discourse than the thousands of kids paraded in front of cameras on behalf of their malcontent parental units.

You mean like this?

UH60FtRucker

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:20 pm

So I'm like 8,000 miles away from all that headache... but... it seems to me, that America is imploding.

Flame away - but at what point do we start asking "what the hell are we even fighting for?" And I am not asking in regards to whether Afghanistan is worth the blood and tears... but whether the US is worth it? Seriously - the US is coming apart at the seems.

[Edited 2009-09-13 06:22:34]
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 4):
So I'm like 8,000 miles away from all that headache... but... it seems to me, that America is imploding.

Flame away - but at what point do we start asking "what the hell are we even fighting for?" And I am not asking in regards to whether Afghanistan is worth the blood and tears... but where the US is worth it? Seriously - the US is coming apart at the seems.

There are plenty of good people here, and a fine foundation in our Constitution and related philosophy - the problem is our politicians (on all sides), and a small number of people who seek to use our system against itself. People are waking up to this, and the millions who stayed at home on voting day are learning what their apathy brings.

You swore an oath to the Constitution, a far greater thing than our transitory politicians. You stay safe, and we thank you for your honorable service.

MadameConcorde

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Yes this is the first thing I saw this early this morning (my time) on the non MSM news a huge massive demonstration (or is it a tea party) in the streets of Washington DC against the US government.

Seems that people are getting tired of the administration in place. Such a massive demonstration is certainly not a good sign. This is really huge.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

UH60FtRucker

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 5):
There are plenty of good people here, and a fine foundation in our Constitution and related philosophy - the problem is our politicians (on all sides), and a small number of people who seek to use our system against itself. People are waking up to this, and the millions who stayed at home on voting day are learning what their apathy brings.

Politicians have always been viewed, and rightfully so, with a skeptical eye. So I reject the argument that the problem is with only them, and perhaps a few others. The problem is becoming so much larger. The divisions are being drawn on such petty and insignificant lines - and people are completely disinterested in unity, or national consensus.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 5):
You swore an oath to the Constitution, a far greater thing than our transitory politicians.

You need not remind me of my oath, thank you. And yes, I know a thing or two about unity and allegiance to a group greater than one's self... and I'm telling you, it's becoming a rarity back home.

Tiger119

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:41 pm

quote=UH60FtRucker,reply=4]it? Seriously - the US is coming apart at the seems[/quote]

- We are at the Genesis of a slippery slope. Do you think that is might be time for people to start thinking of our future?

David
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

Aaron747

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 3):
You mean like this?

Same difference. Whether it's Obamaniacs kids', the "God Hates Fags" crowd or these jerks who put signs in their kids' hands today, they're all the same.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 7):
And yes, I know a thing or two about unity and allegiance to a group greater than one's self... and I'm telling you, it's becoming a rarity back home.

Somehow that timely and salient point will be lost in the great effort to prove oneself right about which brand of ideological demagoguery should prevail over the issue at hand, which I'd tend to agree, is a staggering reflection of where we've come in terms of any kind of unity.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

UH60FtRucker

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:53 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 9):
Somehow that timely and salient point will be lost in the great effort to prove oneself right about which brand of ideological demagoguery should prevail over the issue at hand, which I'd tend to agree, is a staggering reflection of where we've come in terms of any kind of unity.

I promise you that by the completion of this thread, there will be people who will ignore this - and happily launch into venomous political attacks on one another. It's a freakin' game. A battle. And the only objective is to humiliate, and denigrate, the opposing view. It will happen in this thread. Just watch.

MadameConcorde

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:08 pm

I think those in power should start paying close attention to these people in the town halls and tea parties because they are the ones who are going to vote them out. Taxes, Health care reforms and whatever else. Looks like the people have enough of being played for fools.

These pictures are not photoshopped are they?

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/...ds/2009/09/dcteaparty0912mkhsm.jpg

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/...loads/2009/09/dcteaparty091221.jpg

Many of these protesters have lost their jobs and maybe their homes and they feel they don't have much left to lose. Just look at the number of people in the demonstration. This is huge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMXz6xGeqc

Is this fake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhF-T1fFOX0&feature=related

I ownder how many provocateurs there are in the midst of them?

Yeah sure  Confused

mt99

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:24 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 11):
I ownder how many provocateurs there are in the midst of them?

Some say that they are actually insurance companies behind it. But there are no current laws that would allow to find the data to prove it.
Step into my office, baby

ltbewr

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:56 pm

While I am against the policies and attitudes the 9/12 protesters, they peacefully exercised their 1st Amendment rights of free speech. They protested in significant numbers (70,000 +) and apparently there were no arrests or violence.

There is no doubt that a lot of emotions have arisen with the economic crises, the election of the first person of Black African ancestry to be our President, a need to deal with a health care system that is failing too many and a variety of controversial social-political issues. There is no doubt that increasing deficits will mean everybody's taxes will go up, a reality no politician really wants to do. The rich and powerful have too much sway of our government, using campaign contributions to buy politicians of both parties and hurt most Americans.

I also think there is some common ground among all Americans. We want a strong Military, a government that will be able to deal with major crises, we want to end the trade and business policies that kill jobs shipping them out of our country, especially good paying ones. We what a health care system that means no one is denied care as can't afford it or forced to go into bankruptcy to pay for it. Hopefully we will start to use this common ground, end the polarization, and start to move in the best direction in the best spirit of America.

MadameConcorde

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:36 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 14):
They protested in significant numbers (70,000 +)

There was way more than that marching in Washington DC.
I do not think even 700,000 would make the count.
This was a very massive huge protest. Again not a good sign of what is to come.

max550

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:15 pm

Glad I got out of DC Friday morning. At least this time they can't complain about not getting news coverage.
I'm not really sure what they're protesting though, we just had an election not too long ago, do they want another one?
Also, why is it on 9/12? I remember seeing Glenn Beck talking about the 9/12 project a while ago and I thought it was about security, making sure we continue to torture and stuff like that. These people seemed to have an entirely different agenda though, are the two connected somehow?

dxing

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Nice to see it was a peaceful demonstration and for once actually receieved some press. I think the President dropped the ball on this one. Rather than go to Minnesota and talk yet again about health care he could have put a big PR foot foreward by asking to speak to this crowd and addressing some of their concerns. Yes he would have gotten a lot of boos and catcalls but it would have gone a long long way towards proving he wants to be a uniter instead of the divider he is quickly becoming.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Mir

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:34 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 16):
I think the President dropped the ball on this one. Rather than go to Minnesota and talk yet again about health care he could have put a big PR foot foreward by asking to speak to this crowd and addressing some of their concerns. Yes he would have gotten a lot of boos and catcalls but it would have gone a long long way towards proving he wants to be a uniter instead of the divider he is quickly becoming.

You can't speak to a group like that - the rational among them who might have been interested in what he had to say would have been overwhelmed by those who didn't care and just wanted to yell at him. It would have been a PR disaster.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

kc135topboom

Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Quoting Max550 (Reply 15):
I'm not really sure what they're protesting though, we just had an election not too long ago, do they want another one?

No, we don't want another election, until the next scheduled nation wide election in Nov. 2010. But it will be interesting to watch the Massachusetts election in Jan. 2010 for a replacement US Senator.

They are protesting the $787B stimulus bill that doesn't get spent until next year, the tax and cap bill, and of course the health care bill our grandchildren will have to pay for. They are protesting the massive debt run up in the lats year, by Bush and Obama.

Also, why is it on 9/12? I remember seeing Glenn Beck talking about the 9/12 project a while ago and I thought it was about security, making sure we continue to torture and stuff like that. These people seemed to have an entirely different agenda though, are the two connected somehow?

No, Beck was trying to get people to go to Washington for the 9/12 protest. He never said he wanted more security and never he wants torture aqnyone. Don't make $hit up.

I think the President dropped the ball on this one. Rather than go to Minnesota and talk yet again about health care he could have put a big PR foot foreward by asking to speak to this crowd and addressing some of their concerns.

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
It would have been a PR disaster.

No, it would have proven he is willing to listen to the American people, not dictate to them. He has created a PR disaster by going to MN and speaking out against the protest in Washington. Plus, it makes it look like he is running away from opposition.

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNewsAndPR/idUSN1246707220090912

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aqeAifmKewxc

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090913/...p_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_health_care

Obama is a coward, as well as a lier.

mt99

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Yikes!

"In Louisville, Kentucky, two young men in camouflage fatigues roamed the crowd trying to recruit new members for their militia called the Ohio Valley Freedom Fighters. They bear signs reading "AK-47s: today's pitchfork" and "Quit worrying. Start your militia training today."

In Jackson, Michigan, a young man didn't need a sign. He was carrying the real thing: A loaded AK-47 assault rifle and two loaded handguns.

"I don't want a revolution. I don't want a civil war," he said. "But it is a possibility. It's there as an option, as a last resort."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/12/tea.party.express/index.html

I guess its more "American" to walk around with loaded weapons, that to try to go against insurance companies.

[Edited 2009-09-13 13:25:55]

D L X

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Thread starter):
hundreds of thousands of people

Uhh... that's quite an exaggeration, bub. Maybe 40,000 people. Hardly close to a major event in DC. (I live here, and my office is in your video. I should know.)

You mean like this?

Please point out where Aaron747 condoned using kids to campaign for Obama.

What's that? You don't have any? So, you're calling him a hypocrite with no evidence?

I'm shocked.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 7):
The divisions are being drawn on such petty and insignificant lines - and people are completely disinterested in unity, or national consensus.

Well, upon what other lines of division are people going to divide themselves if not for petty ones? We don't have real honest reasons to divide ourselves, so we have to go petty. I'm being sarcastic of course, but the virulent hatred that SOME Americans are expressing towards each other over political things is disgusting, and is spreading faster than the swine flu. Personally, I blame cable news, who don't have enough to talk about so they sensationalize everything and make literally EVERYTHING into a Dems vs. Republicans thing, and the hundreds of rabble-rousers on talk radio who often times just make stuff up, exploiting their unsuspecting audiences for money.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 10):
I promise you that by the completion of this thread, there will be people who will ignore this - and happily launch into venomous political attacks on one another. It's a freakin' game. A battle. And the only objective is to humiliate, and denigrate, the opposing view. It will happen in this thread. Just watch.

You sir, get it.

Rather than go to Minnesota and talk yet again about health care he could have put a big PR foot foreward by asking to speak to this crowd and addressing some of their concerns. Yes he would have gotten a lot of boos and catcalls but it would have gone a long long way towards proving he wants to be a uniter instead of the divider he is quickly becoming.

WHAT?! Ain't no way you could have reached a crowd like that.

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
You can't speak to a group like that - the rational among them who might have been interested in what he had to say would have been overwhelmed by those who didn't care and just wanted to yell at him. It would have been a PR disaster.

Could not have said it any better. It is utterly ridiculous to think that this group of people could have been reached. Have you not seen the town hall videos, DXing?

Quoting Madameconcorde (Reply 14):
There was way more than that marching in Washington DC.

No, but sorry, there wasn't.

Think about how ridiculous the idea is that there were 700,000 people there: there are only 600,000 residents in DC. Where would they stay? How would they get around? I DROVE through that area during that time with little delay yesterday. This was not a large demonstration.

TheRedBaron

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:26 pm

What really makes me laugh is that a lot of people that are now really upset about the economy, just rode the Bush Era ilussion of wealth, war and spending like no tomorrow.

The real solution would be to go back to the US constitution and get rid of lobyists and crooked politicians..oh wait that would mean to get rid of the whole government....

From the people to the people.... LOL. what a joke.

BTW every government is the same ...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

dxing

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 20):
WHAT?! Ain't no way you could have reached a crowd like that.

Sometimes it's the effort that counts even though you know that in the short term you are in a position that will not be well received.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

CaliAtenza

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:50 pm

these people scare me man....why couldnt the protests against Bush been this big. Why all the hate??? Obama hasnt even finished one YEAR in his presidency..its barely been 7 months! Some days im glad im overseas...its sad that im saying that, what is happening to my country??? Militas?? guys with real weapons at town hall meetings??

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:01 pm

I remember seeing Glenn Beck talking about the 9/12 project a while ago and I thought it was about security, making sure we continue to torture and stuff like that.

The 9/12 project is based on 9 Principles and 12 Values - those that Glenn Beck claims are things that Americans need to reclaim:

The Nine Principles:
1. America is good.
2. I believe in God and He is the Center of my Life.
3. I must always try to be a more honest person than I was yesterday.
4. The family is sacred. My spouse and I are the ultimate authority, not the government.
5. If you break the law you pay the penalty. Justice is blind and no one is above it.
6. I have a right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, but there is no guarantee of equal results.
7. I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable.
8. It is not un-American for me to disagree with authority or to share my personal opinion.
9. The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

(I'm not entirely in agreement with item 2, but that's just me)

The Twelve Values:
1-Honesty
2-Reverence
3-Hope
4-Thrift
5-Humility
6-Charity
7-Sincerity
8-Moderation
9-Hard Work
10-Courage
11-Personal Responsibility
12-Gratitude

D L X

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:10 pm

So, what do the 9 principles and 12 values have to do with health care?

I swear, conservative protests are just as ridiculous as liberal ones.

PSA53

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Quoting Tiger119 (Reply 1):
I wish I was there, i would have been proud.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 19):
"In Louisville, Kentucky, two young men in camouflage fatigues roamed the crowd trying to recruit new members for their militia called the Ohio Valley Freedom Fighters. They bear signs reading "AK-47s: today's pitchfork" and "Quit worrying. Start your militia training today."

In Jackson, Michigan, a young man didn't need a sign. He was carrying the real thing: A loaded AK-47 assault rifle and two loaded handguns.

"I don't want a revolution. I don't want a civil war," he said. "But it is a possibility. It's there as an option, as a last resort."

Come on! Are you trying to tell me that there aren't any trouble makers in those leftist protest marches.How do you think they get on the front page?That's right.They create violence and blame the police.

Quoting Caliatenza (Reply 23):
these people scare me man....

Why?It's long overdue.Equal expression, in the masses, on the streets,finally!

[Edited 2009-09-13 14:30:16]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

D L X

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 26):
Are you trying to tell me that there aren't any trouble makers in those leftist protest marches.

All protests have troublemakers these days, but No. You will not see people carrying guns in the left's protests.

PSA53

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:09 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 27):

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 26):
Are you trying to tell me that there aren't any trouble makers in those leftist protest marches.

All protests have troublemakers these days, but No. You will not see people carrying guns in the left's protests.

Coming from you're corner,and I respect that,"not proved" to my knowledge, that weapons were present.But I'm suspect,just the same of a media who would protect and suppress if weapons were present.Who are no doubt,IMHO, more adered to leftist causes.

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Anyone have any news about how many of these protesters got rowdy and got arrested? Any cars burned, lootings, vandalism?

D L X

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 28):
But I'm suspect,just the same of a media who would protect and suppress if weapons were present.Who are no doubt,IMHO, more adered to leftist causes.

This is whining about the refs.

This is the standard response of conservatives when they don't have bad information about liberal groups: the media is liberal, and they hide bad things about the media. What horse manure. You don't think that Fox News would report it? You don't think that Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, and the other people that dominate AM radio would cover it? Seriously, it's time to give up the argument that we don't hear bad things about the left because the media doesn't talk about it.

Yellowstone

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Quoting Caliatenza (Reply 23):
why couldnt the protests against Bush been this big.

Going by the figures provided by the Washington DC Fire Department - 70,000 protestors - some of the anti-Bush protests were bigger.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

mt99

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 24):
The 9/12 project is based on 9 Principles and 12 Values - those that Glenn Beck claims are things that Americans need to reclaim:

Im sorry, but as laudable as these "principles" and "values" - the fact that they are offered as some sort "new commandments" that must be followed is the most ridiculous thing i have seen so far in this discussion.

My spouse and I

So.. does that include Gay Marriage?

8. It is not un-American for me to disagree with authority or to share my personal opinion.

I guess that Rove, Palin and Cheney failed this one..

5-Humility

You have missed this one too

PSA53

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:35 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 30):

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 28):
But I'm suspect,just the same of a media who would protect and suppress if weapons were present.Who are no doubt,IMHO, more adered to leftist causes.

This is whining about the refs.

This is the standard response of conservatives when they don't have bad information about liberal groups:

I never directly accused,in my statements,of the left having weapons.You did.I merely pointed out there were touble makers on both sides who started riots.And that is proved.
Note:Starting road trip.Can't again respond until tomorrow.Enjoy you're day.

Mir

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 32):
My spouse and I

So.. does that include Gay Marriage?

Probably wouldn't, because of:

To be fair, with #2 aside, I have no problem with any of the values or principles there, but I do fail to see how support for them necessitates the sort of dislike for Obama (and liberals in general) that Beck puts out on a regular basis.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

D L X

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:04 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 34):
but I do fail to see how support for them necessitates the sort of dislike for Obama

Easy. All it takes is for Glenn Beck to say "this is what we believe. This is not what Obama believes. Therefore, we must remove him."

D L X

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:03 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 22):
Sometimes it's the effort that counts even though you know that in the short term you are in a position that will not be well received.

No way, and you know it. You would never have suggested that Bush address Cindy Sheehan or a liberal protest group. And for the exact same reason. Never.

There are literally protests *every day* in front of the White House. Usually, there are multiple protests! One day on my way to lunch, I saw no less than 6 protest groups, all yelling with their megaphones, separated by police on horseback. No president ever addresses them, for good reason. There is absolutely nothing good that can come of it.

"Well, why didn't you address us when you addressed those guys?" And that's not even considering the very obvious drowning out by people who just don't like the President, whoever it may be.

As for effort to reach out to them, are they special? Are they more worthy of being approached than every other American? Because if you haven't noticed, Obama has spent a lot of time addressing the entire nation in his short tenure, and people think he takes up too much air time as it is.

These folks in particular did not come to Washington for any dialog. And besides that, nobody unwilling to show the respect a president deserves deserves to be approached by the president, whoever it is. (I'm talking about some of the grotesque signs at these events.)

DocLightning

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:17 am

You mean like this?

Yup. Like that.

1. America is good.

As soon as it behaves that way, I'll agree.

Quote:

And he has NOTHING to do with America. I don't understand why people don't understand that God has NOTHING to do with Country.

Quote:

3. I must always try to be a more honest person than I was yesterday.

Good.

Quote:

4. The family is sacred. My spouse and I are the ultimate authority, not the government.

As long as that includes same-sex and non-traditional families, then I'm fine with that.

Quote:

5. If you break the law you pay the penalty. Justice is blind and no one is above it.

Why aren't these people protesting Obama's failure to try and incarcerate the entire Bush administration, then?

Quote:

6. I have a right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, but there is no guarantee of equal results.

Agreed.

Quote:

7. I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable.

Never confuse "charity" and "taxes."

Quote:

Amen. So why did these people overwhelmingly vote for Bush when he clearly had a problem with people questioning his authority?

Quote:

9. The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

That would be very nice.

But item #2 really, REALLY scares me. It means that there are a whole bunch of people who never got the message that the mixture of religion and politics is the most un-American concept that ever existed.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DocLightning

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:20 am

Sure you will. I know tons of people who belong to both the ACLU and the NRA.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

EMBQA

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:21 am

You will not see people carrying guns in the left's protests.

Because so many in the left are trying to take away our rights granted by the Consititution. While those on the right choose to use those rights...

[Edited 2009-09-13 18:31:41]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

ipodguy7

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:29 am

GOD BLESS AMERICA! and these great Americans that are using their right of free speech even in the face of an overzealous, socialist leader! Wow, I wish I could have been there.
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ

UH60FtRucker

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:43 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 10):

40+ replies, and it has already happened. Don't you guys hear yourselves? There is more to life - more to be being an American - than all this petty bullsh*t.

Longhornmaniac

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:00 am

How'd you know, UH60?  Silly

I agree. Speaking as someone who has a pretty sound party affiliation, I think it would do both sides good to just shut up for a while. There's so much partisan bickering that nothing will get done with any sort of compromise or middle ground because each side refuses to listen to the other. Any time there is any sort of compromise, it's seen as giving ground to the opposition.

Take the Health Care debate, for example. As soon as Obama conceded that the public option may not be the best idea, at least right off the bat, Pelosi and Co. jumped down his throat. How dare he try and compromise? All I care about with this debate is getting more people cheaper coverage. There's so much ridiculous partisan rhetoric, when they're all trying to accomplish that very thing. Obviously there are different ways to go about it, but when the end goal is the same thing, you'd think compromise would be well received. I understand that in many instances, there are opposing ideals that make compromise harder (like abortion, or gay rights, for example), but for something where they share a common goal, it's pretty ridiculous, IMO.

I'm pretty sure I've told you this already, but thank you again for your service to our country, fighting to keep us free. Even amidst all the partisan bulls#it over here, the safety of the men and women of our Armed Forces is something that both sides can agree on.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

N867DA

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:01 am

Frankly I think it's a great time to stop being so political. I wouldn't want to associate with any of these "protesters"--on the left or right.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:59 am

Enacted on January 20th, I suppose.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

dxing

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:05 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 36):
No way, and you know it. You would never have suggested that Bush address Cindy Sheehan or a liberal protest group. And for the exact same reason. Never.

Actually I thought he should have gone out to the front gate and confronted her. I'd be willing to bet a dime to a dollar she would have melted down.

No president ever addresses them, for good reason.

Quite a difference between a small group of 6 or 10 or even 100 and the thousands that gathered on the mall wouldn't you say?

As for effort to reach out to them, are they special? Are they more worthy of being approached than every other American?

In the numbers in which they presented themselves yes they are. I believe Presidents have addressed groups gathering on the mall before have they not?

Because if you haven't noticed, Obama has spent a lot of time addressing the entire nation in his short tenure, and people think he takes up too much air time as it is.

I would disagree with the term "addressing". His speech before Congress last week was actually very condescending. The reason people think he takes up too much air time is that he has been selling the same used car with the same lines for 6 months. He says he is interested in working with the GOP but never really does. He promises the same rosey things but never really explains how they will be paid for or where exactly these so called savings are. If you've got something new to speak about by all means, speak. If it is the same old thing that the poll numbers say the public is not buying, don't bother.

These folks in particular did not come to Washington for any dialog. And besides that, nobody unwilling to show the respect a president deserves deserves to be approached by the president, whoever it is. (I'm talking about some of the grotesque signs at these events.)

I assume then you were livid when President Bush was treated to one disrespect after another during his tenure? As well as grotesque signs painting him as a chimp and such? Actually my favorite sign was the one up above that said "no matter what this sign says you'll call it racism". Right on the money for some.

Still, even if he was turned down, which would have been rude, as President of all citizens he should have made the offer. Again, it would have gone long on showing his willingness to be the uniter instead of the divider he is quickly becoming.

D L X

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:37 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 48):
Actually I thought he should have gone out to the front gate and confronted her. I'd be willing to bet a dime to a dollar she would have melted down.

You can't say you know what would have happened. No president wants to be in a situation that has the possibility of playing out so poorly.

Quite a difference between a small group of 6 or 10 or even 100 and the thousands that gathered on the mall wouldn't you say?

There are often a thousand or more people on Penn Ave trying to get the president's attention. I think it's even more precarious trying to address the tea partiers considering that some have been known to carry guns. It's a situation waiting to get out of control.

I believe Presidents have addressed groups gathering on the mall before have they not?

I cannot think of a single instance where that happened. It certainly has not happened in recent memory.

I would disagree with the term "addressing". His speech before Congress last week was actually very condescending. The reason people think he takes up too much air time is that he has been selling the same used car with the same lines for 6 months.

What exactly would you want or expect him to say to the tea partiers?

I assume then you were livid when President Bush was treated to one disrespect after another during his tenure?

As I've said before, to you no less, that is a safe assumption. I am not at all in favor of the childish and often disgusting signs and name-calling that degrade our political dialog today.

TUNisia

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:43 am

Where were these people when Bush was spending billions in Iraq?
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

dxing

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:51 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 49):
You can't say you know what would have happened.

That is why I said "I would bet" which intones that although I can't be certain I think the odds are in my favor.

No president wants to be in a situation that has the possibility of playing out so poorly.

You mean like a town hall where no one asks a tough question?

There are often a thousand or more people on Penn Ave trying to get the president's attention.

I think you know the difference.

I think it's even more precarious trying to address the tea partiers considering that some have been known to carry guns. It's a situation waiting to get out of control.

As you said, no one can know for sure.

I cannot think of a single instance where that happened. It certainly has not happened in recent memory.

And here I thought it happened every four years at a minimum.  wink 

Regardless...President Bush did address a group gathering on the mall even if he did it from a distance, which would be just as well, and would eliminate your fear of people with guns.

http://www.voanews.com/english/archi...3066131a9ec99529dd63352556741a2e2c

What exactly would you want or expect him to say to the tea partiers?

That is up to him but I would hope he would try and explain how his initial spending is not going to continue and to perhaps detail a plan for serious deficit reduction.

As I've said before, to you no less, that is a safe assumption.

Is there any thread where I can see those words in action?

Yellowstone

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:53 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 51):
Regardless...President Bush did address a group gathering on the mall even if he did it from a distance, which would be just as well, and would eliminate your fear of people with guns.

He addressed a group that he agreed with, and whose members largely supported him. Hardly the case we have with the 9/12 protest.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.