OA260
Topic Author

Does Coca Cola Really Taste Better Out Of Bottle?

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:11 pm

Ok so for the first time in years I just had a bottle of Coca Cola in a 350ml Glass bottle and I have to say it kind of tastes better.

Anyone agree or is it just my imagination ??

EMBQA

RE: Does Coca Cola Really Taste Better Out Of Bottle?

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:23 pm

No, it does.. just as Coke from other parts of the world tastes better when made with real sugar, then like here in the US when it's made with corn sweetener.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

sandrozrh

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:36 pm

Actually I think it tastes better out of cans, as does any other beverage. But that's a matter of taste, I guess.

metroliner

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:54 pm

I'd agree - cans all the way!  Smile
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

BCAL

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:04 pm

“The great taste of Coca-Cola is the same regardless of the package it comes in,” insists Coca Cola.

“While packaging and food companies work to prevent any interactions, they can occur,” says a food chemist and member of the Institute of Food Technologists. For example, the polymer that lines aluminum cans might absorb small amounts of soluble flavor from the soda. Conversely, acetaldehyde in plastic bottles might migrate into the soda. The FDA regulates this kind of potential chemical contact, but even minute, allowable amounts could alter flavor.

Although exposure to light and how long the product sits on store shelves may affect the taste. So yes, the packaging might mess with Coca Cola's flavor.

But what about draught Coke? Just syrup and carbonated water.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

wilco737

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 4):
“The great taste of Coca-Cola is the same regardless of the package it comes in,” insists Coca Cola.

Exactly. But I still prefer to pour it into a big glass with ice and then enjoy it icecold....  cheerful 

wilco737

GrahamHill

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):

Anyone agree or is it just my imagination ??

I very much prefer Coca-cola out of glass bottles as well!

Same for the beer and any kind of beverages.

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 2):
Actually I think it tastes better out of cans, as does any other beverage. But that's a matter of taste, I guess.

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 3):
I'd agree - cans all the way!

As far as I am concerned, I don't like to have the taste of aluminium in my mouth  yuck 

I think glass bottle delivers a more "neutral" taste. But it's a personal opinion  Wink
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

fraspotter

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Coke (both the US version and the German version I've had) tastes better out of a bottle. Pepsi however always will be best as a canned drink IMO...  Smile
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

Danfearn77

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:33 pm

My god! I am an expert on this because i generally have an addiction to coke. Glass Bottle coke tastes so amazing. Tesco still sell 6 of them for just over £3 and i always get them. In my eyes the list of worst to best tastes of coke is as follows:

4th Small 500ml plastic bottles
3rd 2 litre bottle
2nd Canned coke
1st GLASS BOTTLE.

Thanks to you i now have to go to tesco and get some! God i just love Glass bottle coke.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

BCAL

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 5):
But I still prefer to pour it into a big glass with ice and then enjoy it icecold

You forgotten a slice of lemon. That makes it better for me.

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 7):
Pepsi however always will be best as a canned drink IMO..

I prefer Pepsi from a 330ml glass bottle.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

wilco737

RE: Does Coca Cola Really Taste Better Out Of Bott

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 9):

Nah, that somehow ruins the original tast for me... No lemon, no nothing. Just coke and ice...  drool 

wilco737

kc135topboom

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 4):

No, it isn't.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 6):
I very much prefer Coca-cola out of glass bottles as well!

Correct, glass does not leach into what ever is in the bottle, that is why I prefer glass to cans or plastic.

BTW, I like Pepsi better than Coke. Just a personal preference.

Sabena332

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Yes, Coke tastes better when drinking it directly from the glass bottle. I prefer the very small 0.2l bottles but also the 0.33l bottles. Unfortunately are they really hard to get nowadays (plastic is almost everywhere) and the smaller ones (0.2l and 0.33l) are more expensive than the 0.5l plastic bottles.

Beer must be from the glass bottle or from the tap, beer from plastic bottles is just nasty! I rather prefer beer from cans than from the plastic bottle.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

GrahamHill

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:56 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 12):
beer from plastic bottles is just nasty!

I never tried beer in a plastic bottle and don't really want to!

from the tap

Nothing beats a beer from the tap  Wink

ManuCH
Crew

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:06 pm

I prefer Coca Cola from the glass bottle. Cans are also OK, but plastic bottles are absolutely awful.

And there's more: I definitely prefer the US version of Coke. Much better than the European product.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

PSA727

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
No, it does.. just as Coke from other parts of the world tastes better when made with real sugar, then like here in the US when it's made with corn sweetener.

Whenever I fly back to the U.S. (on an American carrier). I always ask the FA if the beverage cart was loaded in the European city we're flying from. Some get the question, some don't. And this is one of the reasons I could pull the lever on those 3 terrorists just convicted in the U.K. for trying to create those liquid bombs. The liquid ban/ limitation is a real obstacle in trying to bring back EU beverages.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

srbmod

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:01 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 13):

I never tried beer in a plastic bottle and don't really want to!

You go to most sports and outdoor music venues here in the States and you will see beer in a plastic bottle. There are a few brands that use an aluminum bottle.

Earlier this year, I was at a comedy show and some of the concession stands at the theater were selling small bottle of Coca-Cola products in an aluminum bottle shaped like the glass bottles. I had a Coke Zero in one of these bottles and the taste wasn't too bad.

I still remember when the only plastic bottles you could buy Coca-Cola in were the 2L and 3L bottles. Everything else was in glass or in the case of the 12oz size, both bottles and cans. I remember when Coca-Cola in convenience stores were only sold in 10 oz and 16 oz glass bottles, and the only places you would find 8oz and 12oz bottles were in grocery stores. I still remember the old Coke machines where you pulled the 8oz bottles out of the machine.

DocLightning

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:07 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 4):

“While packaging and food companies work to prevent any interactions, they can occur,” says a food chemist and member of the Institute of Food Technologists. For example, the polymer that lines aluminum cans might absorb small amounts of soluble flavor from the soda. Conversely, acetaldehyde in plastic bottles might migrate into the soda. The FDA regulates this kind of potential chemical contact, but even minute, allowable amounts could alter flavor.

It's also a function of how long it's spent in the container. It seems to keep longer in glass than it does in metal.

I had some Pepsi that had been in the can for 3 years and it was nyaaastay! Yick!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Fly2HMO

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Tastes the same to me. Glass, aluminum, plastic, etc.

Versions made with real sugar though are much MUCH better tasting.

GrahamHill

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 16):
You go to most sports and outdoor music venues here in the States and you will see beer in a plastic bottle

For sports and music venues in Europe (or at least in France), you would get beer from the tap served in a plastic glass.

For beers in plastic bottles sold in convenience stores or supermakets, it's usually low quality beer that would destroy your stomach!

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 18):

Like pretty much everything!  Wink

Baexecutive

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):

Totally agree with you, for some reason soft drinks taste better from glass bottles. The best by far is the old hangover cure.........Irn Bru - straight from a glass bottle  Big grin

Sabena332

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 16):
I still remember when the only plastic bottles you could buy Coca-Cola in were the 2L and 3L bottles. Everything else was in glass or in the case of the 12oz size, both bottles and cans.

When I was a kid, Coca-Cola products were only available in 1l, 0.5l, 0.33l, and 0.2l glass bottles. Furthermore in 0.33l and 0.5l cans. Back then I prefered the cans because there was no deposit on it (unlike today). I can't really remember the year when Coke introduced plastic bottles here, but I know for sure that the 2l and the 1.5l bottles were introduced back then, as the first in plastic and not glass. Then, slowly, Coke bottles became a plastic only product, glass is only available in selected places nowadays.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 18):

To be honest, I never tasted a difference. About time for me to compare US Coke and European Coke directly.

But I have to say that soft-drink products taste way different in any country, e.g. Fanta Naranja and Fanta Limon from Spain taste 1000 times better than Fanta Orange and Fanta Zitrone from Germany. Another example: Mountain Dew is available here in Germany, but they can keep it, the taste is way different than the US version.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 19):
For sports and music venues in Europe (or at least in France), you would get beer from the tap served in a plastic glass.

Same here in Germany. And it comes even better... when there is a Bundesliga game where the atmosphere can be a bit heated, you get an even tinner plastic cup.

For beers in plastic bottles sold in convenience stores or supermakets, it's usually low quality beer that would destroy your stomach!

I bought beer from plastic bottles a few times because the supermarket next to my local beverage store was still open while the beverage store was closed. Damn, simply disgusting!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

sandrozrh

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:27 pm

beer from plastic bottles is just nasty

Beer from PLASTIC bottles?? Are you kidding? That's a damn crime to be honest! I've never seen that here, or anywhere in fact, and it better stay that way!

srbmod

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:07 pm

We have that option as well, but typically the beers sold buy the vendors who walk around the seating areas are in the plastic bottle (Unless you're in club seats, where all of the beers sold in that area are on tap.). I've been known to walk to the other end of Philips Arena so I can get a Guinness, Smithwick's, Boddington's or a Stella as the best beer option on the end I may be sitting in is Heineken.

I've been a two different outdoor concert venues here in Atlanta (These venues have a bit of a picnic atmosphere as folks bring in food and drinks and make the concert an event,) and one does sell beer in glass bottles and allows you to bring in beer in glass bottles. The other I have been to does not allow any sort of glass items at all, and all of their beers are either in cans or plastic bottles.

comorin

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:07 pm

Bah! Amateurs!! Everyone knows Coke tastes better from GREEN bottles  Smile

MCOflyer

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:27 pm

Yes it does. The can does taste better than the fountain too. However for the bang for your buck, a 32oz big gulp satisfies my needs.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

PPVRA

Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Glass bottle or tap. Though tap really varies from place to place, some are absolutely awful.

And best Coke I've had was in Mexico but I also loved South Korean Coke. It has literally half the sugar and it's sooooooo much better. Chinese Coke is pretty good too, not a fan of Brazilian Coke anymore though. . too little carbonation is the problem, I think.

With that said, I've been Coke-free for some three months. No more for me.

[Edited 2009-09-14 16:16:20]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Fly2HMO

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:22 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 26):

And best Coke I've had was in Mexico

True. Mexican coke or pepsi are waaaaaaaay better than what that crap they make in the states.

Which makes sense since in mexico sugar cane is subsidized by the govt. Mexico is (was?) the worlds no.1 consumer of soft drinks. Was told that in a tour of a coke plant down there a while back.

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:35 am

I ended up having 3 bottles lol... Just was too good to not indulge. I never usually drink that much Coke. I had been at the beach in the morning and then came back and the exec club in the hotel had a whole fridge packed full of glass bottled Coke. Just what you want after being out in the Sun. Actually also the Sprite and Fanta were in bottles but just stuck to the Coke.

Didnt know Tescos sold them . Must go and see if they have them in my local one.

N1120A

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:18 am

I stay away from soda with sugar and completely agree that glass is better. There is actually a reason for this, glass is inert and thus imparts no flavor of its own to the liquid. Plastic is the worst offender, while aluminum is next. The acidity of all soda will break down some of the container, unless it is glass. While this never happens in harmful amounts, it is enough to harm the taste.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...e-and-aluminum-can-taste-different

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 14):

And there's more: I definitely prefer the US version of Coke. Much better than the European product.

You are pretty much the only one. Diet Coke v. Coke Light, on the other hand, is a different story.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 17):

I had some Pepsi that had been in the can for 3 years and it was nyaaastay! Yick!

That is why they have an expiration date. Diet soda lasts less than a year before going bad, as it is sweetened by a protein.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 26):
Though tap really varies from place to place, some are absolutely awful.

So true. The fountain can either be the best or the worst. El Pollo Loco, a restaurant chain mostly located in the Southwestern US, has always had a great mix.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 27):
Mexican coke or pepsi are waaaaaaaay better than what that crap they make in the states.

Real cane sugar. Makes a huge difference.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Elite

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:51 am

They are best inside those old school bottles.... good old days!!!

fridgmus

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:40 am

Well, being the Coca Cola hound that I am, I do prefer it in glass bottles, with plastic bottles a distant second. I really hate drinking out of a can. Over here, we only have cans but we keep plastic cups and bags of ice on hand.

But when I'm able to, I pour it into a tall glass with ice cubes and it becomes.........

NECTAR OF THE GODS!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:00 pm

Nothing beats Thums-up.....Not Coke not Pepsi.
 Smile
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

N1120A

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:48 pm

And lets not forget that the glass bottles, particularly when reused, are the best one for the environment.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

us330

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Just about every drink tastes better from a ice cold bottle.
And stuff made with real sugar tastes better than the fake stuff, even if Pepsi made with cane sugar actually tastes more like coke....

Baexecutive

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:26 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 33):

Is that the inside of your fridge? Wheres the Irn Bru? LOL

jcs17

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:46 am

True. Mexican coke or pepsi are waaaaaaaay better than what that crap they make in the states.

It's waaaaaaay too sweet in Mexico, just like every other Mexican soda -- you feel your teeth start rotting as soon as you're done with the bottle.  Smile

It doesn't really matter to me where my Diet Coke and Coke Zero come from, it tastes about the same to me.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

OA260
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:00 am

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 35):
Is that the inside of your fridge? Wheres the Irn Bru? LOL

LOL... No its the inside of the hotels Club Lounge fridge. Pretty cool logo for Coca Cola ::

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Rj111

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:05 am

Definitely better out of a glass bottle.

Coke from glass bottle + Ice + Lemon = Win

IH8BY

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:14 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 14):
I prefer Coca Cola from the glass bottle. Cans are also OK, but plastic bottles are absolutely awful.

Seems to be the consensus that Coke from cans is better than that from plastic bottles, but I'm not sure I'd agree. I think both interfere with the taste, but for some reason I don't mind the way that the plastic bottles does so quite as much as the cans.

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 20):
Totally agree with you, for some reason soft drinks taste better from glass bottles. The best by far is the old hangover cure.........Irn Bru - straight from a glass bottle Big grin

Irn-Bru... in the returnable glass bottles...

A legend amongst soft drinks.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

OA260
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 39):
Irn-Bru... in the returnable glass bottles...

Ive never seen them in glass bottles. The BMI lounge at LHR had the tins yesterday! Had a can myself. They had taken them away for a while but glad to see them back.

MD11Engineer

RE: Does Coca Cola Really Taste Better Out Of Bott

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:12 pm

The problem with the Coke fountains and taps (and many slit machines) is that since a few years they don´t dispense readymixed Cke from the factory anymore, but mix the Coke in sitiu. They contain a CO2 gas cylinder and a container full of sirup and are connected to the tap water system. Now some owners seem to adjust the mixing ratio to allow for a larger percentage of water into the mix to save on the expensive sirup. Therefore Coke from such fountains often tastes watered down.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Sabena332

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 41):
Therefore Coke from such fountains often tastes watered down.

I agree, Coke, Fanta or Sprite usually taste totally watered down in places like McDonald's and Burger King. Subway restaurants that sell Pepsi products are the complete opposite, Pepsi, Mirinda and 7Up taste pretty good there, the taste is close to bottled producs and not so watered down like the Coke stuff at McD or BK.

Patrick

JBirdAV8r

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Problem solved.
Big version: Width: 300 Height: 484 File size: 32kb

Cane sugar>high fructose corn syrup!

Quoting BCAL (Reply 9):

I never had a Pepsi with lemon until this May in Paris. I like it...it makes Pepsi almost palatable  Wink
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Fabo

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Rated best to worst

1. Tap
2. Glass bottle
3. Can
4. Plastic bottle

fits both beer and coke.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

IH8BY

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 42):
I agree, Coke, Fanta or Sprite usually taste totally watered down in places like McDonald's and Burger King.

More often than not this is made worse by the sheer volume of ice that they put in the drinks - when they scoop up ice they will also often scoop up melted ice, thus diluting it further.

I worked in a bar where the situation seemed the other way round; there was often too much syrup...
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

PPVRA

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:35 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
The fountain can either be the best or the worst. El Pollo Loco, a restaurant chain mostly located in the Southwestern US, has always had a great mix.

We have them here in Atlanta now. Pretty good place, though I think I only went there in my post-Coke time.

Worse tap Coke I've ever had was at a local movie theater. I think the problem was a messed up machine that didn't dilute the syrup properly, but they would never fix it. And of course, that after paying $4.50 for a freakin' soda  Yeah sure
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

2707200X

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 pm

I haven't noticed a difference in the quality of the Coke on how it is made ready to consume
but I think there is a perception of higher quality from the bottle because the bottle for Coke is uniquely designed unlike a can or a fountain which look the same, so it is assumed that a unique bottle implies higher quality.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Wolverine

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:48 pm

I prefer cans, as well, for Coke and Pepsi. And I prefer Pepsi, unfortunately not all Pepsi flavors are available in Europe (Wild Cherry, to name just one).
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

RobertNL070

Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:59 pm

beer from plastic bottles is just nasty!

Beer in plastic bottles  yuck  That must be very German. We don't have that on our side of the border  snooty  duck 

Coca-Cola (not nasty Pepsi-Cola) poured into a glass from a recycleable 1½ litre bottle with one or two ice cubes and a slice of lemon ..... hmm, delicious.
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.