YVRLTN
Topic Author

Topless Sunbathing

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:32 am

So its almost the end of summer here in BC and the time will soon come when we will need to start wearing some more layers. I always thought of Canada and particulary YVR as pretty open minded, but I believe topless sunbathing is illegal, apart from Wreck Beach. Indeed, Ive only ever seen it once (at Spanish Banks) after spending almost every weekend at the beach in the 4 summers I have been here

Anyway, even if allowed, my wife will never sunbathe topless and she feels her assets are only for my eyes. So, how about your wives or significant female others and you female a.netters, what is their opinion on top freedom??

No need to ask the opinion of the straight guys... and how many posts until we get the 'this thread is worthless without pics' thingy..... and some illustrations from Phoenix9 & JetMech!
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

MAH4546

RE: Topless Sunbathing

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:59 am

It is legal in Miami, which often surprises the American tourists, because topless sunbathing is usually illegal in the United States.
a.

Springbok747

Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:17 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Thread starter):
So its almost the end of summer here in BC

Not here. Its warming up nicely..and our university today was full of some really cute girls in summer wear...  biggrin 

Oh and...

Wink
אני תומך בישראל

Kent350787

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:05 am

Here in Sydney topless sunbathing is pretty much a non-issue, although some council inspectors occasionally get worked up about it. My wife did it occasionally years ago, but no longer (although i wouldn't mind  Smile.

On a side note, Ilast year I saw the first girl from my high school I remember topless sunbathing and, 25 years on, the sun hasn't been kind to her skin.....

andz

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:01 am

There used to be only one spot around the coast where it was "acceptable" and that was Sandy Bay near Cape Town. I don't know where the law stands on it now, I'm pretty sure it is not allowed at public pools.

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 3):
Here in Sydney topless sunbathing is pretty much a non-issue

When I was on Bondi in 2001 I didn't see a top. Saw quite a few topless on Manley too. A couple of them should have been wearing tops though!  yuck 
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

JJJ

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:14 am

Legal, and pretty much 50%-50% around here.

My gf goes topless when alone or just on couple, with her friends or with other couples who also sunbathe topless.... which means most times.

Other than that, she puts her top on.

kiwiandrew

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:21 am

I dont understand why anyone would sunbathe any other way - if you are going to do it ( leaving aside what it does to your skin both in terms of cancer risks and aging ) then you need to do it properly . There are few things more ridiculous looking than a partially tanned body - all or nothing looks much better .

nighthawk

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:39 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 1):
It is legal in Miami, which often surprises the American tourists, because topless sunbathing is usually illegal in the United States.

excellent Big grin i'll be there next month - i hope the beaches are still busy!

Superfly

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:09 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Thread starter):
Anyway, even if allowed, my wife will never sunbathe topless and she feels her assets are only for my eyes. So, how about your wives or significant female others and you female a.netters, what is their opinion on top freedom??

Me and my girlfriend(s) always go naked.
Plenty of nude beaches around SFO.
Bring back the Concorde

connies4ever

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:39 am

Fairly common practice at Grand Beach on Lake Winnipeg. West Beach, that is. You even find some nude sunbathers. East Beach is more family. For me, it's a non-issue.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

AirPacific747

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:06 am

It's legal here too... I don't mind either...  Smile

macc

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:08 am

topless? boring.
its total nudity here in vienna on the river bank and most of areas nearby. Big grin
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

PanHAM

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:39 am

Yawn, German TV SAT1 ran a movie yesterday in prime time, 20h15 which was shot mainly in a nudist camp, actors in full frontal nudity
powered by Eierlikör

Superfly

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:35 am

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 9):
Fairly common practice at Grand Beach

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 10):
It's legal here too... I don't mind either... Smile

Quoting Macc (Reply 11):
topless? boring.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 12):
Yawn, German TV SAT1 ran a movie yesterday in prime time, 20h15 which was shot mainly in a nudist camp, actors in full frontal nudity

Some places here in Christian North America and Muslim Middle-East, human skin is still taboo.
Some day these parts of the world wont be so traumatized by what they were born with.  Yeah sure
I am so glad to live in an environment free of these fundamentalist religious types.
Bring back the Concorde

sunshine79

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:45 am

There is call for a topless bathing beach in Sunderland, after two young women got men's temperatures rising even more when they lost their tops on the beach when we had relatively good weather back in June or July. I don't see what is wrong with it, it's not like everyone hasn't seen it before. Although, most of the time in the UK, you are more likely to get frostbite than sunburn, lol.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

Superfly

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:24 pm

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 14):
after two young women got men's temperatures rising even more when they lost their tops on the beach when we had relatively good weather back in June or July.

I bet it was all your fault Sunshine79.  Wink
Bring back the Concorde

ALexeu

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:48 pm

I think it´s wrong from the moral point of view. It makes the girl look cheap.

However, I don´t mind looking at topless woman  Big grin

waterpolodan

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:45 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 16):

However, I don´t mind looking at topless woman Big grin

Does that make you cheap for looking, then?  Wink
I've never understood the big deal about topless sunbathing, you really can't tell me that it's any different than a guy not having a bra on other than the fact that women's breasts are larger and rounder (usually). It's such a lame social stigma to instantly sexualize a topless woman and determine that it is a bad influence on children ect. It's the human body and a part of the body that really has nothing to do with sex in any basic sense, so it's always annoyed me that people make such a big deal about it.

That being said, I live in Miami and there are lots of topless women here, nothing like when I was in Barcelona but still, plenty of women feel comfortable doing it and besides the creepers who stare the entire time most people are used to it and ignore it. My ex used to go topless with me on the beach here, which I never had a problem with until we fell asleep and I woke up to find 5 guys filming her (she was well endowed) and cheering. What a bunch of sleazeballs, now for all I know she's somewhere on the internet starring in a "greatest boobs of Miami!" video.

sunshine79

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:52 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
I bet it was all your fault Sunshine79.  

Haha, no I wasn't one of them. I wouldn't step foot on a beach in the UK, only abroad, and then will only go topless if I'm by myself.

DocLightning

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):

Some places here in Christian North America and Muslim Middle-East, human skin is still taboo.
Some day these parts of the world wont be so traumatized by what they were born with. Yeah sure
I am so glad to live in an environment free of these fundamentalist religious types

We do live in the same country, right?

I mean, I know that San Francisco seems to be a safe little island, but they're out there, braying at the gates.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

seb146

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 17):
It's such a lame social stigma to instantly sexualize a topless woman and determine that it is a bad influence on children ect.

I don't understand something else: breast feeding in public. I don't care if a woman does it in public, just throw a blanket over it. But, at a beach, who cares? American society puts so much ephasis on a woman's breasts, yet we can not speak of them? AFAIK, it is leagal for women to be bare chested in Oregon, as well. Some women do take advantage of it.

I took one of my brothers to Hooters once. He was very excited to go. About 10 minutes after we were there, he was bored. He saw it all. He was happy as any straight man would be, but they were just boobs and legs. The novelty wore off. Plus, the food was not all that.
Life in the wall is a drag.

PanHAM

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 20):
but they were just boobs and legs. The novelty wore off. Plus, the food was not all that.

don't tell me the food is plastic as well now?
 Big grin
powered by Eierlikör

ManuCH
Crew

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:17 pm

I don't understand something else: breast feeding in public. I don't care if a woman does it in public, just throw a blanket over it.

I was in a restaurant last week where a woman was breast feeding at the table next to ours - without covering up. That gives an all new meaning to "enjoy your meal"!  Yeah sure
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

PacNWjet

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 1):
topless sunbathing is usually illegal in the United States.

Admittedly I don't have the stats, but "usually illegal" obviously depends on jurisdiction. In Oregon and Hawaii there are beaches and parks (Sauvie Island and Rooster Rock State Park in Oregon come to mind) that allow totally nude sunbathing. I believe there are nude beaches on Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts too. I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few nude beaches throughout the U.S. I don't have the time right now, but I imagine a search of nudist websites would turn up a long list.

Force13

Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:05 pm

In Monroe Country and Rochester, NY it is perfectly legal for women to walk around topless.

Not much too see around here between October and May though  Sad

July and August can be scenic  covereyes   eyepopping 
Do not taunt. Do not shake. Do not pander. Add coffee. Subject should be slightly human within an hour.

MAH4546

Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:11 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 23):

Admittedly I don't have the stats, but "usually illegal" obviously depends on jurisdiction. In Oregon and Hawaii there are beaches and parks (Sauvie Island and Rooster Rock State Park in Oregon come to mind) that allow totally nude sunbathing. I believe there are nude beaches on Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts too. I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few nude beaches throughout the U.S. I don't have the time right now, but I imagine a search of nudist websites would turn up a long list.

Well, nudist beaches are an entirely different subject from topless beaches.

The norm is that a beach is clothing-mandatory unless it is zoned otherwise.

In Miami, and possibly some other U.S. cities, a beach is topless unless it is zoned otherwise.

Miami has the reverse default rule.
a.

jamincan

Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:33 pm

In Ontario, I believe it is legal for women to be topless anywhere, unless explicitly prohibited (ie. no shirts, no shoes, no service rules).

MadameConcorde

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:03 pm

I do not mind women being topless on beaches but only if their bodies are decent looking no matter what age they are.

I do not like seeing obese or very fat women, those with cellulite all over or those with breasts that hang down almost to their waist -lol- going topless or almost nude on beaches where there are a lot of other people. I call this a lack of self respect.

This is quite frequent around a lot of beaches on the French Riviera. I don't think this is aesthetic. These women should have the decency to wear one piece bathing suits when they go out in public or else they can go to private pools.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

andz

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 17):
women's breasts are larger and rounder (usually).

OMG is that the difference???
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

waterpolodan

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:20 pm

You know what I'm saying, it's just a stupid socialized differentiation that shouldn't be such a big deal, after all, we all feed from 'em when we're born!

airtrainer

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:53 pm

If I'm correct it's legal to sunbathe topless here in Belgium but only if you're standing on your towel. Maybe some native Belgian will tell us more about this fact... I've only been at the beach a few times but I don't remember seeing any girl sunbathing topless.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 27):

What about tolerance ? If you don't like what you see, just don't watch  Wink
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Bongodog1964

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Bring it on girls, it makes a boring afternoon at the beach a little more interesting. One thing though, it should be illegal for large older German ladies to go topless, perhaps a burka would be better.

Fabo

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:04 pm

Quoting Airtrainer (Reply 30):
What about tolerance ? If you don't like what you see, just don't watch

erm... yep. But there is limits to everything. And everyone should have a basic understanding of them.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

sunshine79

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:16 pm

If you don't like what you see, just don't watch  

Exactly. I'm quite concious about my body (as it's large) but don't care when I'm on the beach, besides, I'll probably never see any of them again in my life. I go to the beach to sunbathe, not to look at other people. Well, maybe ogle some fit guys from behind my sunglasses, lol.

MD11Engineer

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:37 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 22):
I don't understand something else: breast feeding in public. I don't care if a woman does it in public, just throw a blanket over it.

I was in a restaurant last week where a woman was breast feeding at the table next to ours - without covering up. That gives an all new meaning to "enjoy your meal"!

Having raised a little baby, I´m not the least aroused by a breast feeding woman, but I don´t have any problems in seeing it. Actually I find the sight of a breastfeeding woman and her happily sucking baby quite cute. After all this is what the boobs are there for and why should the baby go hungry when the adults are eating?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Superfly

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:40 pm

If you don't like what you see, just don't watch

checkmark 

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 33):
I'm quite concious about my body (as it's large)

You're not large, you're voluptuous.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 32):

erm... yep. But there is limits to everything. And everyone should have a basic understanding of them.

I see. So nudists are wrong?

I mean, I don't agree with them, but that doesn't make them wrong.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Fabo

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:17 pm

Well, not. If they are at designated nudist beach, that is. They are wrong, if they go bare on clothing mandatory beaches.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

DocLightning

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:09 am

Quoting Fabo (Reply 37):
Well, not. If they are at designated nudist beach, that is. They are wrong, if they go bare on clothing mandatory beaches.

I suppose by law. They might argue that clothing shouldn't be mandatory anywhere. And we disagree, but why do we have to force the issue?

If you don't want to see, look elsewhere. Are we a free society?

Oh, and you can expect me to keep my clothes on in public. But in San Francisco, you DO occasionally see a naked person wandering around (by choice) and the city is still standing.

[Edited 2009-09-16 17:10:01]
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

seb146

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:36 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 34):
Having raised a little baby, I´m not the least aroused by a breast feeding woman, but I don´t have any problems in seeing it.

Trust me, I am not aroused by breasts. I don't need or want to see women breast feeding. It has to be done. I understand that. The baby is not going to wait. Just throw a blanket over the whole thing. That's all I ask.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 21):

It had about as much taste! I have heard guys go on about the wings, but I have had better.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 38):
But in San Francisco, you DO occasionally see a naked person wandering around (by choice) and the city is still standing.

I saw exactly two during Pride on Castro this year. Neither were anything to write home about. That is usually what happens, anyway: the ones that are naked the first and fastest are the ones no one really wants to see, anyway.
Life in the wall is a drag.

Leezyjet

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:59 am

Don't have a problem with it. Been around it all my life on holidays. My gf does it now if it is allowed, even if we are away with our friends ( which is ok for me too as I get an eyeful of their g/f's boobies too  Smile )

I once got into a strip club for free in the US after being a little cheeky to the doorman. As we went in, he said it was $10 or whatever to get in and it wasn't fully nude. I stopped, turned around and said "I'm not paying $10 to look at tit's, I can look at them all day for free on the beach back in Europe !!"

He found this to be really funny, and waived the charge for me !!

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 6):
There are few things more ridiculous looking than a partially tanned body - all or nothing looks much better

Or when you see an attractive (or even unattractive) girl out on an evening wearing a dress with big white strap marks over her shoulders. Just looks plain silly.

I must say I agree with MC though. Another thing is elderly ladies who's skin looks like leather. Some people should just have a bit more decorum and keep covered up - this also goes for chaps and their speedo's too !!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

sccutler

Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 am

Howdy, licensed attorney here.

I am aware of very few places where the law precludes topless sunbathing.

There are occasions when a local peace officer might invoke an ordinance relating to causing a public disturbance, but that's mighty rare, as well.

Get over your stereotypes and preconceived notions. We ain't all hicks and rubes and, (notwithstanding President Carter's apparent unresolved issues with race), we ain't all racists, either.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

afterburner

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:04 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 25):
Well, nudist beaches are an entirely different subject from topless beaches.

I've never been to a nudist beach but from pictures of nudist beaches I've ever seen, the bodies of the people on those beaches are less desirable than the bodies of the people on regular beaches. Big grin

Talking about toplessness, I've read somewhere that in some cultures (e.g. in some tribes in Africa), for the sake of modesty women are required to cover their bodies from the navel down to the ankles, not from the navel up. It is okay for women to barechested but it is taboo to show legs.

asuflyer05

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:53 am

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 16):

However, I don´t mind looking at topless woman  

OMG if we see bewbies we could go to hell!

jetmech

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:22 am

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 3):
Here in Sydney topless sunbathing is pretty much a non-issue

Quoting Andz (Reply 4):
When I was on Bondi in 2001

Nothing like seeing a whole lot of "white pointers" when visiting Bondi  Smile !

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 26):
I do not mind women being topless on beaches but only if their bodies are decent looking no matter what age they are. I do not like seeing obese or very fat women, those with cellulite all over or those with breasts that hang down almost to their waist -lol- going topless or almost nude on beaches where there are a lot of other people. I call this a lack of self respect.

Wow MC! If I didn't know better, I would swear you were a red blooded bloke!

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

kiwiandrew

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:37 am

Some of the posts remind me of the old saying that "to the pure of heart all things are pure" .. ie if someone thinks breasts are "dirty" then that says a lot more about their mental state than it does about someone who is just minding her own business and getting a tan ( or feeding a baby )

OA412
Crew

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:49 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 39):
The baby is not going to wait. Just throw a blanket over the whole thing. That's all I ask.

This is an attitude that I've never quite understood. Breasts do absolutely nothing for me but seeing a woman breastfeed has never bothered me. I've come across a number of people who have expressed this same sentiment and it simply makes no sense to me. What is it about openly breastfeeding in public that makes people uncomfortable?
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Maverick623

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:55 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 46):
What is it about openly breastfeeding in public that makes people uncomfortable?

It's how we were raised, at least in the States. I can't tell you how many snickers I heard in my high school French class when we were shown a picture of a regular beach... and no one under 16 had a top on.

Or, to paraphrase Eurotrip: America was founded by prudes. Prudes who came to America to escape all the steamy hot European sex that was going on.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

PanHAM

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:46 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 39):
Quoting PanHAM (Reply 21):

It had about as much taste! I have heard guys go on about the wings, but I have had better.

I went there for the legs, the king crab legs I mean