waterpolodan

Camera Advice?

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:26 pm

I'm looking to buy my girlfriend a nice digital camera for christmas, and I thought I'd get started on the research/sourcing now so I can have one by december. It's going to be a bit of a big purchase so I need to make a good decision. Anyway, she and I are both very into photography and I was looking for something with the absolute highest quality and most features for around $300-$350. Preferably it'd be a DSLR, but I'm not sure if any real DSLRs are that cheap. I've used my dad's Nikon D90 on many occasions and it is absolutely incredible, but it's also well over $1,000 so that's out of the question. I'm willing to get a used camera if it's clearly in nearly new condition and will save me a good deal of money over buying one new, but obviously new would be better as it'd have a warranty. What do you say, guys?

ManuCH
Crew

RE: Camera Advice?

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:54 pm

I'd get a new camera, especially if you're both "very into photography". Others might disagree with this, but I have had some bad experiences with used cameras.

$350 won't get you much of a DSLR. For that price, I'd get something like a Canon Powershot SX200 IS.

For $525 you could get the Canon Rebel XS with 18-55 IS kit lens. That's more or less the entry price for a DSLR.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

ShyFlyer

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Thread starter):
I'm willing to get a used camera

If it were for your personal use, used would be something to consider. As for a gift, I wouldn't get her a used...anything.
I lift things up and put them down.

fca767

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:22 pm

I had Fuji for 2 years and is very sturdy fixed lense 10x zoom with 9 megapixels probably not true 9 but here's the review...maybe try a newer type of fuji bridge camera which is a nikon body  Smile
The LCD Screen Flips out so you can take pics from below or above

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082412fujis9600.asp

I now have a Nikon D90 now, but there's not too much difference  Smile

ShyFlyer

Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Quoting FCA767 (Reply 3):

I have the Fuji S9000. Great camera.
I lift things up and put them down.