DYflyer
Topic Author

Arctic A.net Meet 2009

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:59 pm

In the hope of seeing some aurora borealis HT and i have decided to have a little arctic meeting  cold  up in the city of Tromsø (see initial thread here Is TOS A Good Place To Watch Aurora Borealis? (by HT Jul 25 2009 in Non Aviation) ). In addition to hopefully see the aurora borealis, there will be the chance to see some beautiful Norwegian nature, see a nice city and maybe even drink some expensive Norwegian beer  Wink. The nice guys that we are, we thought we would give the rest of you the chance to join us  angel  The weekend in question is 27. - 29. November.

Attending:
HT
DYflyer

Inbound flight:
HT 27. Nov. SK from BOO at 19.15
DYflyer 27. Nov. DY from OSL at 21.10

Outbound fllights:
HT 30. Nov SK to OSL at 10:15
DYflyer 29. Nov WF to EVE and continuing to BOO at 16:17

Both of us are booked at the Radisson, but this one seems to be fully booked now.
Life is like a book. If you don't travel, you only read one page.

BAViscount

RE: Arctic A.net Meet 2009

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Ooh, count me in as a maybe...I love Tromso and the area around there, and have always wanted to see the Northern Lights!! I've stayed at the Radisson, it's a nice hotel!

If timings and funds work out for me, I'll be there!!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

DYflyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 1):

Excellent. Hope it works out

Attending:
HT
DYflyer

Maybe:
BAViscount

Inbound flight:

Outbound fllights:

Both of us are booked at the Radisson, but this one seems to be fully booked now.

HT

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:04 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 1):
Ooh, count me in as a maybe...I love Tromso and the area around there, and have always wanted to see the Northern Lights!! I've stayed at the Radisson, it's a nice hotel!

Just be warned that it will be dark in Tromsö at that time of the year.
Hopefully great to watch Aurora Borealis, bad for the mood (if one is prone to winter depression and the likes) ...

Quoting DYflyer (Reply 2):

As Tromsö is a very walkable city, it should pose no real problem if additional participants stay in another hotel downtown.
The Radisson is on Sjögatan fairly close to Tromsö Domkirke and the city quai (for Hurtigruten). Anybody interested should refrain from selecting a hotel near the airport (Scandic, and IIRC there is another one close by).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

fca767

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:21 pm

That Sounds Really Nice, I've never had an a'net meet before...I wouldn't know if I could come but maybe one year  Smile what flights is it again, I got confused with the From from and inbound outbound things...  Smile

HT

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:57 am

Quoting Fca767 (Reply 4):
That Sounds Really Nice, I've never had an a'net meet before...I wouldn't know if I could come but maybe one year what flights is it again, I got confused with the From from and inbound outbound things...

The main topic of this (a bit untypical) meeting is not *flying* or *aircraft spotting*, but to be in Tromsö as a location to look at Aurora Borealis aka. Polar Lights (hopefully the weather is okay for this - at least it will be dark enough ...).

The flights listed are just an information about when the participants arrive / depart TOS.
Of course, one is free to select some unusual routing to TOS in order to make the trip a bit more interesting.
For example: WF operates a number of multi-stop flights for SK along Norway's west coast like TRD - BOO with 2 intermediary stops. Also flights between BOO and TOS on WF make one or more stops. The same goes for flights between TOS and Kirkenes KKN along the north coast. Last year, albeit in Summer, I flew KKN to TOS on a WF Dash8-100 making 5 intermediary stops with sectors as short as 24 mi.
And a few days later (after paying a visit to LYR on Spitsbergen) I returned TOS to BOO with 2 intermediary stops (among these NVK with its 800 meter runway) before continuing (SK mainline) to OSL.

If you consider to fly to TOS, flights are offered by SK (incl. WF), DY (now from OSL and RYG; BOO) and (rarely) BT from RIX. Flights within Norway easily and usually without finacial penalty can be booked as oneways.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

idealstandard

Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Hi,

Count me plus two others in as a maybe, we will come in on the 720AM BA flight into OSL and then take a shuttle up to TOS., arriving Friday leaving Sunday.

Sounds great!

IS

HT

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Quoting Idealstandard (Reply 6):
Count me plus two others in as a maybe,

Here you go ...

Updated list:

Attending:
HT
DYflyer

Maybe:
BAViscount
Idealstandard + 2

Inbound flight:

Outbound fllights:

Hotel:
Radisson: DYflyer, HT

fca767

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:14 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 5):
The main topic of this (a bit untypical) meeting is not *flying* or *aircraft spotting*, but to be in Tromsö as a location to look at Aurora Borealis aka. Polar Lights (hopefully the weather is okay for this - at least it will be dark enough ...)

Thanks very much guys for everything  Smile It would be nice to see the Northern Lights one day  Smile

HT

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Quoting Fca767 (Reply 4):
I've never had an a'net meet before...

What about AMS next late-spring (no date, no thread yet) or ZRH next summer (annual meeting). These european meetings do focus on the *aviation* site of A.net meetings unlike the regular ones at LHR and MAN that usually include a hefty portion of consuming alcohol.
Also in pre-discussion is a meeting at PRG next year which generated some instant interest when mentioned durng this year's ZRH meeting.

OTOH, telling from your profile, joining a meeting at MAN might also be a good start - just be aware of what to expect ...
-HT

idealstandard

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:45 pm

We are now confirmed

Attending:
HT
DYflyer
Idealstandard + 2

Maybe:
BAViscount

Inbound flight:
Idealstandard + 2 27 Nov SK from OSL at 1535

Outbound fllights:
Idealstandard + 2 29 Nov DY to OSL at 1310

Hotel:
hotel thon idealstandard + 2

HT

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:33 am

Quoting Idealstandard (Reply 10):
We are now confirmed

Excellent !

-HT

gkirk

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:51 am

Quoting HT (Reply 9):
These european meetings do focus on the *aviation* site of A.net meetings unlike the regular ones at LHR and MAN that usually include a hefty portion of consuming alcohol.

And what's wrong with the hefty portion of consuming alcohol?  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

fca767

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:14 am

Quoting HT (Reply 9):
What about AMS next late-spring (no date, no thread yet) or ZRH next summer (annual meeting). These european meetings do focus on the *aviation* site of A.net meetings unlike the regular ones at LHR and MAN that usually include a hefty portion of consuming alcohol.
Also in pre-discussion is a meeting at PRG next year which generated some instant interest when mentioned durng this year's ZRH meeting.

OTOH, telling from your profile, joining a meeting at MAN might also be a good start - just be aware of what to expect

Hmm true I could do a manchester one Big grin

HT

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 12):
And what's wrong with the hefty portion of consuming alcohol?

Nothing particularly wrong, but to do this, I (and that's my personal opinion) do not need to fly to some place.
When I travel I intend to take in the impressions with a concious mind - that's generally spoken, as there are places that only can be endured half (or fully) drunk ... 

Quoting Fca767 (Reply 13):
Hmm true I could do a manchester one

For staters   
Or, as said, in order not to spoil you with this type of A.net Meetings, come to the continent for your first A.net meeting. On all of these, English is the main & common language; if tours are offered (like in ZRH), these are being conducted in English language.
-HT

EDIT:

Quoting Idealstandard (Reply 10):
We are now confirmed

Do not forget that you can buy Duty Free articles (booze, beer, cigarettes, ...) upon Arrival at OSL. These articles are pretty expensive in Norway, so everybody arriving makes a left turn into the Dutyfree Shop rather than heading for baggage conveyer belts.

[Edited 2009-09-22 03:08:07]

gkirk

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:09 am

Quoting HT (Reply 14):
When I travel I intend to take in the impressions with a concious mind - that's generally spoken, as there are places that only can be endured half (or fully) drunk ... Big grin

I'd agree with you. Some places, such as Manchester, there is nothing to do BUT drink. But places like Tromso or Edinburgh for example, you can do a lot of touristy things.

nighthawk

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 12):
And what's wrong with the hefty portion of consuming alcohol?

I cant remember the last time I saw you consume a hefty portion of alcohol, you normally pass out ofter a light portion of alcohol!

MYT332

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 14):
Do not forget that you can buy Duty Free articles (booze, beer, cigarettes, ...) upon Arrival at OSL. These articles are pretty expensive in Norway, so everybody arriving makes a left turn into the Dutyfree Shop rather than heading for baggage conveyer belts.

Ok thanks for that, we'll make sure we go stock up on vodka and beer then! I guess we'll have to carefully put it all in our suitcase though before checking in for the SK flight to TOS otherwise it'll be confiscated at security right?

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 15):
I'd agree with you. Some places, such as Manchester, there is nothing to do BUT drink

Well nothing we like to go do or see. Museums and art galleries? Nah!

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 15):
But places like Tromso or Edinburgh for example, you can do a lot of touristy things.

But still we'll be drinking I guarantee it. I mean come on, the place is in the Arctic Circle and it'll be mostly dark all day! Perfect!
One Life, Live it.

nighthawk

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:07 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 17):

I did wonder who the +2 was - you lot seem to have a cosy relationship going on. Ive heard of a plus one, but a plus two? Well, it is the naughties I guess.

As for me, i'll give this one a miss, I refuse to travel to places colder than where I live! (ie. the arctic & antarctic)

MYT332

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 18):
I did wonder who the +2 was - you lot seem to have a cosy relationship going on

Yup, I'm one of the plus 2 apparently! I hadn't even seen this thread until my post above.

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 18):
As for me, i'll give this one a miss, I refuse to travel to places colder than where I live! (ie. the arctic & antarctic)

Typical Scotsman wussing out. It's ok, the English will represent the UK just fine.  Wink
One Life, Live it.

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:37 pm

How cold does it get in Tromso at that time of the year?
Does it go down to minus 20 or lower (talking about centigrades)?

Are the hotels expansive?
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

gkirk

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 20):

Quite possibly. They're not cheap either  duck 

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:59 pm

There is an alternative to the hotels. Tromso has a HI affiliated Youth Hostel.

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Troms%C3%B8-042107.en.htm

Bed price from: 225.00 NOK

It looks like a rather small size hostel so I bet the space fills up quickly.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

HT

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Does it go down to minus 20 or lower (talking about centigrades)?

For the period in question:

Average high: -2 to +2 °C
Average low: -5 to +1 °C
With prevailing winds from the west the whole coast of Norway have moderate climate in winter due to the energy provided by the Gulf stream.
Hurtigruten is able to sail along the coast and into the fjords (for ports located there) year-round.
Things change when heading further inland into Finnmarken.

The Thon Polar is quoted with 78 € per night.
Roughly the same is the Scandic, but this one is located outside city center fairly close to the airport.
-HT

EDIT:

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 22):
There is an alternative to the hotels. Tromso has a HI affiliated Youth Hostel.

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Troms%C3%B8-042107.en.htm

Bed price from: 225.00 NOK

It looks like a rather small size hostel so I bet the space fills up quickly.

From the website: The hostel is open from the 17. June to the 14. August.

[Edited 2009-09-22 13:16:39]

DYflyer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:25 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 17):
I guess we'll have to carefully put it all in our suitcase though before checking in for the SK flight to TOS otherwise it'll be confiscated at security right?

You will be asked if you are continuing your journey onwards from OSL in the tax-free. If you answer yes, the goods will be sealed in a plastic bag and are OK to take through security.

idealstandard

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:04 am

Have now booked BA leg and going to book SK/DY soonish. Hotel is booked (Thon Polar)

Attending:
HT
DYflyer
Idealstandard + 1
myt332

Maybe:
BAViscount

Inbound flight:
Idealstandard + myt332 + 1 27 Nov SK from OSL at 1535

Outbound fllights:
Idealstandard + myt332 + 1 29 Nov DY to OSL at 1310

Hotel:
hotel thon idealstandard + myt332 + 1

HT

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Quoting Idealstandard (Reply 25):
going to book SK (..) soonish.

make sure to compare fares quoted, as I found significant differences for some flights between SK's own website and the other independent I use frequently, but there was no winner between the two.
-HT

f1eddie

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:03 am

I am very seriously considering this. I have confirmed i can get the time off work. The only thing is how expensive it will be. €300 for the flights with SAS and €250 for the hotel. Then Alcohol after that, oh and of course food....
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

HT

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:47 pm

On two issues I can help a bit in reducing costs:

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 27):
€250 for the hotel.

Hotel Thon Polar quotes about 80 € (675 NOK on hrs.de) per night incl. breakfast = 160 € for 2 nights; the hotel's website quotes higher rates.

Then Alcohol after that

To be purchased at OSL at duty-free prices (how these compare to your local highstreet prices I don't know) after landing before picking up your luggage (you clear customs at OSL) and ...:

Quoting DYflyer (Reply 24):
You will be asked if you are continuing your journey onwards from OSL in the tax-free. If you answer yes, the goods will be sealed in a plastic bag and are OK to take through security.

€300 for the flights with SAS

Have you had a look into other carriers yet ? Also DY flies to TOS, but unfortunately they have no flights Friday to Sunday from/to DUB ...
-HT

signol

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:13 pm

€300 for the flights

Looks like you can knock EUR60 off that by booking DUB-OSL and OSL-TOS separately. The outward leg via RIX - check Kayak for prices  Smile

Once again another meet I won't make  Sad I'll get to one before too long!

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

f1eddie

Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:11 am

Quoting HT (Reply 28):
Hotel Thon Polar quotes about 80 € (675 NOK on hrs.de) per night incl. breakfast = 160 € for 2 nights; the hotel's website quotes higher rates.

So where is this cheap rate on the web which you have not provided a web address to. I have to stay for three nights to get the cheapest flights with SAS or any other airline. To fly back on Sunday would cost me €100 more, but to stay the night at €80, and fly back on Monday would be €20 cheaper. The cheapest accommodation i have found (which i have my own bathroom and the likes) is on that hotels website @ 675 NOK EXCL of breakfast. I'm not an early riser so breakfast is not important to me. In regards to flights. SAS suits me best for price and timing. I earn *A points and timings which kind of suit. DY out of Dublin only offer Thursday to Tue for €250, which does not work with my time constraints, and from LGW, they offer Fri to Sunday for the same price, but i still have to get to LGW, which brings it to the price of SAS. No point really. I just wish i could stay in a cheap hostel for €20 a night. Sorry but accommodation is my main concern. It is a rip off up there, but i suppose they can charge what they want, because of there location and exclusivity...

Quoting HT (Reply 28):
To be purchased at OSL at duty-free prices (how these compare to your local highstreet prices I don't know) after landing before picking up your luggage (you clear customs at OSL) and ...:

If i only have an hour transit, is this long enough to purchase alcohol as you have said?

I come across as a cheap ass here but i only want to get the best value i can get. I wish they had a central Hostel. That would do me fine....
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

HT

Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:35 am

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 30):
So where is this cheap rate on the web which you have not provided a web address to.

Like mentioned in my post: www.hrs.de

Quoting HT (Reply 28):
Hotel Thon Polar quotes about 80 € (675 NOK on hrs.de)

If i only have an hour transit, is this long enough to purchase alcohol as you have said?

Yes. You purchase Dutyfree goods while you wait for your checked luggage to be delivered anyhow.
-HT

HT

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:53 pm

To fly back on Sunday would cost me €100 more, but to stay the night at €80, and fly back on Monday would be €20 cheaper.

For a 3-night stay (F-M) , HRS.de quotes 88 € / 745 NOK per night at the Thon Polar ...

EDIT: There is also a website about Budget accomodation in Tromsö

[Edited 2009-10-05 10:57:38]

HT

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Should we get a car to be able to drive to some place out of town to get a better view of Aurora Borealis ?

idealstandard

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

Quoting HT (Reply 33):

There are some very reasonably priced tours available.

HT

Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Any new takers ?

Attending:
HT
DYflyer
Idealstandard + 1
myt332

Maybe:
BAViscount
F1eddie

Inbound flight:
HT 27. Nov. SK from BOO at 19:15
DYflyer 27. Nov. DY from OSL at 21:10
Idealstandard + myt332 + 1 27 Nov SK from OSL at 15:35

Outbound fllights:
Idealstandard + myt332 + 1 29 Nov DY to OSL at 13:10

Hotel:
Hotel thon: idealstandard + myt332 + 1

idealstandard

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:56 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 35):

I would imagine cost is an issue for a lot of people, I'm paying for two but so far its cost me £500 just in flights (albeit redemption LHR-OSL return in J). I've got all my flights booked now just the hotel to pay for on arrival - joy!

But it looks like a fantastic place.

So attending list:

Attending:
HT
DYflyer
Idealstandard + 1
myt332

Maybe:
BAViscount
F1eddie

Inbound flight:
DYflyer 27. Nov. DY from OSL at 21:10

Outbound fllights:

Hotel:

IS

DYflyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Well, the miracle has happened. Not only has the Norwegian bureaucrats worked within the time-limits we were given when we applied, but my fiancee got her visa in under half the minimum time we were given. That means she will be moving to Norway the weekend this meet is, so i am afraid i have to pull out. Hope to see you guys on a future meet instead.

HT

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Quoting DYflyer (Reply 37):
i am afraid i have to pull out

Hi Rune,
Sorry to hear, but with respect to the remainder of your post more than understandable.

Looking forward to see you (and your fiancé ?) sometime in 2010 - may it be in ZRH, AMS, PRG or even in Oslo ...
[/i]Holger[/i]

Updated list:

Attending:
HT
Idealstandard + 1
myt332

Maybe:
BAViscount
F1eddie

Inbound flights:

Outbound fllights:

Hotel:
Radisson: HT

DYflyer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 38):
Looking forward to see you (and your fiancé ?) sometime in 2010 - may it be in ZRH, AMS, PRG or even in Oslo ...

I will see what i will be able to attend next year... there is a wedding to attend to next year  Wink among other things . But i do not rule out that i will be able to convince her to come to a meet or two. I have already promised her a trip to PRG, so that might be a good excuse Big grin

HT

Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:58 am

Quoting DYflyer (Reply 39):
there is a wedding to attend to next year  

hear hear !

I have already promised her a trip to PRG, so that might be a good excuse 

I will start planning for 2010's A.net meetings in Europe early next year - and PRG is on my shortlist.
-HT

P.S. I will be traveling to Andalucia later today for a week and a half, likely w/o regular access to A.net.

zruda

Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:52 am

talking about prg, why dont we just make some kind of a meetup here next year? its been quite a time since we've met at pilsner urquell .]
there is no coincidence

HT

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:53 pm

With only 5 more nights to go before we meet in Tromsoe, I think it is pretty safe to remove those Maybe's from the list ...

Attending:
HT
Idealstandard + 1
myt332

Inbound flights:

Outbound fllights:

Hotel:
Radisson: HT
Thon Polar: Idealstandard + myt332 + 1

PlymSpotter

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:03 pm

I will see what i will be able to attend next year... there is a wedding to attend to next year

Congratulations Rune  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Zruda (Reply 41):
talking about prg, why dont we just make some kind of a meetup here next year? its been quite a time since we've met at pilsner urquell .]

Hey I've got an idea, after the meet we could hire a car in Prague and drive to the Ukraine! Any takers... no... why ever not? Big grin

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

HT

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Weather forecast for the coming weekend in Tromsö:
Temps around freezing with minimal variation between day time and night time (what *day* BTW ?).
Variable cloud cover - I hope this doesn't mean too many clouds ...
-HT

DYflyer
Topic Author

Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:27 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 43):
Congratulations Rune bigthumbsup

Thank you!

cloudnine 

zruda

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:30 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 43):

Im NOT driving in any car through the ukrainian border Big grin

But with PRG, Im serious. Dont have that big house to accomodate everybody, but visitors with tents are welcome, you can always build it in the horse paddock Big grin plus summer means lots of barbecue parties and deathmarch trips around the area, which is beaufitul and includes woods, old limestone quarries, caves... you name it
there is no coincidence

HT

Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:07 am

I am setting off to the airport shortly for the first of those 6 sectors that will take me to TOS ...
See you tonite,
Holger

nighthawk

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:16 am

Quoting Zruda (Reply 46):
But with PRG, Im serious. Dont have that big house to accomodate everybody, but visitors with tents are welcome, you can always build it in the horse paddock plus summer means lots of barbecue parties and deathmarch trips around the area, which is beaufitul and includes woods, old limestone quarries, caves... you name it

what happened to this years BBQ? Also does this BBQ involve demolishing trees and cooking sausages on a stick?

zruda

Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:15 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 48):

we hadmany bbqs, but no foregin visitors  Smile yeah sometimes we just destroy trees and use the sausage and stick technology
http://gio.freetekno.cz//11_2009/na_vyhlidce/IMG_6779.jpgbut occasionally we even use a gas grill
there is no coincidence