avent

Interesting Piece About Beck's Past History

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:53 pm

As a leader of modern conservatism, it's worth being aware of Beck's history:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/200909220037

falstaff

RE: Interesting Piece About Beck's Past History

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Who cares? Lots of radio personalities do stuff like that. Ever heard of a shock jock? Crap like that gets ratings. Howard Stern is/was filthy and had lots of listeners.

Rush Limbaugh was a radio DJ too and I am sure he said some off color remarks.

So what if the guy is right leaning and said some bad stuff. The lefty Howard Stern can say off color remarks and nobody cares. Is it because Beck is conservative that somehow what he said is worse than if a liberal says it?

Maybe he used to be a liberal and changed his mind later on. That happens a lot. It happened to me.

"Black guy" impersonations were just one sign of the young Beck's racial hang-ups.

Back in the 80s/90s there was a Detroit radio station that had a segment called learn to spell with Darnell? It was "racially" charged. What was the DJ's politics? don't know don't care, it was funny. Just like when a black comedian makes fun of white people. I think that is funny too, because they are right a lot of the time.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

BMI727

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Quoting Avent (Thread starter):

Congratulations, you've found a turd with a TV show. Now do you want the conservatives here to come and repent for ever agreeing with such a rectum on anything?

As a leader of modern conservatism,

Beck and clowns like him are not the leaders of anything. Olbermann, Maddow, Limbaugh, etc. do not lead anyone. They are entertainers who stir the pot to get ratings and appeal to a radical idiotic fan base. Looking like an ass five days a week is just the price they pay to do so.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Superfly

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:27 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 1):
The lefty Howard Stern

Howard Stern is not a lefty in any way shape or form.

"Black guy" impersonations were just one sign of the young Beck's racial hang-ups.

So it's just that simple?
Glenn Beck has emerged as a leading mouthpiece for the Republican Party. Shouldn't the Republicans and conservatives distance themselves from a lunatic like this if they want to win elections in the future?

From your link;
This week, Zaitchik is releasing a three-part investigation into Beck's early years as a radio personality and his troubled personal life. In part two, Zaitchik retells how Beck comported himself while trying to put his stamp on the radio business. These vignettes from his brief tenure in Louisville, Kentucky, are telling:

He used to do a funny 'black guy' character, really over-the-top."

For two years, he used "the big blonde" as fodder for drive-time fat jokes, often employing Godzilla sound effects to simulate Curtis walking across the city or crushing a rocking chair. Days before Curtis' marriage, Beck penned a skit featuring a stolen menu card for the wedding reception. "The caterer says that instead of throwing rice after the ceremony, they are going to throw hot, buttered popcorn," explains Beck's fictional spy.

"He continued with the fat jokes, which were exceedingly cruel, pointless, and aimed at one of the nicest people in radio. Glenn Beck was over-the-top childish from Day One, a punk who tried to make a name for himself by being disruptive and vengeful."

Glenn Beck sounds like a real loser. Why would anyone with a brain bother to listen to him?

[Edited 2009-09-23 12:28:16]
Bring back the Concorde

BMI727

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:42 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
Why would anyone with a brain bother to listen to him?

Because he panders to the lunatic fringe...just like all of the other pundits, conservative and liberal.

Glenn Beck has emerged as a leading mouthpiece for the Republican Party.

He isn't the mouthpiece of anything for the sane. He is just the loudest one.

Force13

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:47 pm

What news channels want for Christmas;

Fox News - Ratings
MSNBC - Ratings
CNN - Ratings
HLN - Ratings (If they keep Robin Meade they'll keep getting mine)
Local News - Ratings

How do you get ratings?

Put people like Glen Beck and Keith Olberman in front of a camera and balance it out with people like Greta Von Sustern and Rachel Maddow.
Do not taunt. Do not shake. Do not pander. Add coffee. Subject should be slightly human within an hour.

BMI727

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Quoting Force13 (Reply 5):
Greta Von Sustern and Rachel Maddow.

They are just the same thing, people who try to get ratings by saying strange things. Just because they aren't as loud doesn't meant that their thoughts are any more legitimate or their motives are any different.

JBirdAV8r

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Glenn Beck has emerged as a leading mouthpiece for the Republican Party.

In the same way that Keith Olbermann is a leading mouthpiece for the Democratic Party?

(edit because i mixed up my (d)'s and (r)'s)

[Edited 2009-09-23 13:38:30]
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Force13

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:38 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 7):
In the same way that Keith Olbermann is a leading mouthpiece for the Republican Party?

Don't let Ken read that LOL! He's a big 'ol Liberal Democrat!
Do not taunt. Do not shake. Do not pander. Add coffee. Subject should be slightly human within an hour.

Superfly

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 7):
Keith Olbermann

Keith Olbermann doesn't have the impact and amount of sheep/followers Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh.
Bring back the Concorde

AGM100

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Glen Beck is right ... he has the administration pinned down to the T. He is also a quack and a lunatic .. but he is right and the left hates him for it. So just go ahead and dismiss him as crazy , and watch something else .

I love it ... Go Glen!
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

NWAESC

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Quoting Force13 (Reply 5):
HLN - Ratings (If they keep Robin Meade they'll keep getting mine)

Mine too!
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

falstaff

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):
do not lead anyone. They are entertainers who stir the pot to get ratings and appeal to a radical idiotic fan base.

I'm not an idiot.

But I will agree that they are in it for the ratings and money.

Liberals are just mad because nobody listens to their talk radio shows.

Not my quote, I took it from the article.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
Keith Olbermann doesn't have the impact and amount of sheep/followers Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh.

Yes he does.

Mir

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Lots of radio personalities do stuff like that.

checkmark  In the entertainment business, people like to watch other people do stupid stuff. Beck was, and still is, no exception.

Glenn Beck sounds like a real loser.

True, but we didn't exactly need this to make that conclusion.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Superfly

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:15 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 12):
Liberals are just mad because nobody listens to their talk radio shows.

Liberals don't need nourishment from radio loudmouths. Talk radio is a passive form of entertainment. Liberals tend to be readers which requires more brain cells than just listening to the radio. That is the reason why conservative talk show host do well in this arena. You just turn on the radio and let the conditioning began.
Bring back the Concorde

falstaff

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
Liberals don't need nourishment from radio loudmouths

No they listen to boring NPR, where nothing is loud.  Silly

Liberals tend to be readers which requires more brain cells than just listening to the radio. That is the reason why conservative talk show host do well in this arena. You just turn on the radio and let the conditioning began.

Liberals have it tougher because they have to read books, written by leftists, to tell them how awful America is. We righties only have to turn on the radio, to hear how leftists are ruining America.. Actually when I buy my rightist books I see more of them than lefty books in the political section. Books by Michael Savage and Ann Coulter sell very well. Righties read too. Savage is a bit too out there for me, but Ann Coulter writes a good book.

Mir

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:45 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 15):
No they listen to boring NPR, where nothing is loud.

You obviously haven't listened to Car Talk.  stirthepot 

-Mir

falstaff

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):
You obviously haven't listened to Car Talk

I used to listen to that. I thought it was funny. However they spent too much time joking around and not answering the question. The show became more entertainment than educational. I also liked their column in the paper, my local newspaper doesn't carry it now. I now listen to the local car talk show on WRJ, in Detroit. That show is really informative.

AGM100

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Liberals tend to be readers which requires more brain cells than just listening to the radio.

Glenn Beck , Mark Levin , Bill Oriely , Michelle Malkin , Dick Morris have all been on the NYT ,Amazon political bestsellers list for the many months . Becks last book is still number on non NYT non fiction ... his new book just came out Tuesday (already on Amazon #1 politics) .

The Presidents book is still on the paperback top 25 and there are a few other liberals who are on there but its pretty slim.

Not sure what this all means , but it seems someone is reading them .

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/bestseller/index.html

http://www.amazon.com/Politics-Nonfi...1&pf_rd_p=489691431&pf_rd_i=283155
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

JBirdAV8r

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:23 pm

Liberals tend to be readers which requires more brain cells than just listening to the radio. That is the reason why conservative talk show host do well in this arena.

So, just to be clear, you're saying that liberals are more intelligent than conservatives.

Mir

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 17):
The show became more entertainment than educational.

Weren't you just commenting on how NPR is boring? Yet you don't care for one of their shows because it is too entertaining.  confused 

-Mir

falstaff

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:47 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 19):
So, just to be clear, you're saying that liberals are more intelligent than conservatives.

Nope, I'm saying we are don't have to spend a lot of time reading politcal books to get the facts. We can spend our time reading other kinds of books for fun and knowledge.

Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
Weren't you just commenting on how NPR is boring? Yet you don't care for one of their shows because it is too entertaining

If I was actually entertained by it I would still be listening. It can't be all boring, just like Rush Limbaugh isn't all politics (I know that is hard for anyone to believe who doesn't listen to him on a regular basis, but it is true).
I like PBS, but everytime I listen to NPR, it puts me to sleep.

Howard Stern is not a lefty in any way shape or form.

He is a degenerate so he must be a liberal  Silly We righties have our share too. Being a pervert isn't limited to any one political party.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:19 am

Liberals tend to be readers which requires more brain cells than just listening to the radio.

Or liberals just write books because when you write something and publish it, there's no one to immediately call in and argue with what you said. So maybe by writing, the left is avoiding arguments.

But your argument here also has holes, because conservatives are always told we're anti-poor, which means that the poor would not be conservative, and the poor often have lower literacy rates, which would thus make them unable to comprehend the "intelligent writings" of the left.

However, my theory on why conservative talk radio succeeds over liberal talk radio is because of who is in the environment to listen to talk radio and those people tend to lean politically. Talk radio is on during the day, when most people are at work. White Collar workers tend to be more conservative and work in environments where one can actually listen to talk radio while at work, ie, the work environment (an office) permits it. Blue collar workers, on the other hand, tend to be more Democratic, and often work in environments that wouldn't permit the listening to talk radio.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

JBirdAV8r

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:30 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 21):
Nope, I'm saying we are don't have to spend a lot of time reading politcal books to get the facts. We can spend our time reading other kinds of books for fun and knowledge.

Sorry...that question was directed at Superfly.  Smile

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 22):
However, my theory on why conservative talk radio succeeds over liberal talk radio is because of who is in the environment to listen to talk radio and those people tend to lean politically. Talk radio is on during the day, when most people are at work. White Collar workers tend to be more conservative and work in environments where one can actually listen to talk radio while at work, ie, the work environment (an office) permits it. Blue collar workers, on the other hand, tend to be more Democratic, and often work in environments that wouldn't permit the listening to talk radio.

Interesting theory...raises a good point.

jfk69

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:37 am

Liberals tend to be readers which requires more brain cells than just listening to the radio

The main thing that Liberals read are their trust fund statements that allow them to save the world !!  Wow!

ltbewr

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:44 am

Since Beck was a DJ, times have changed, there is now a lot less tolerance and knowledge of any racist or stereotyping of ethnicity and race.
I want someone to find some real dirt on him like he was arrested abusing a woman, having sex with a man or with a too young woman, busted for seeing a prostitute, perhaps busted for buying drugs, didn't or doesn't pay his taxes and could go to jail over it. Something in his past or future will get him. People in his public position often go down someday due to their own arrogance.

GuitrThree

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:14 am

Spend 45 minutes watching this, from CBS NEWS, Katie Couric interview and then talk about how "extreme" he is:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5330485n
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

Superfly

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:53 am

No they listen to boring NPR, where nothing is loud.

I listen to NPR because it's non-partisan and very monotone. I like my news to be presented in a boring manner.
I don't like political spin and attitude. If I want to listen to a retard go on an angry tirade, I can just hop on the city bus. I don't want to hear it in my car.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 19):

Absolutely.  yes 
It's common knowledge that liberals are more intelligent. Granted there are a small handful of intelligent conservatives but they aren't of the Beck, Limbaugh, Palin, Plumber, Quayle variety.
Liberal parts of the US tend to have the most elite Universities, highest paying jobs, most valuable real estate with lots of museums and culture.
Conservative parts of the country tend to be uneducated, fundamentalist Christian, low-wage earning, high teen-pregnancy, high-divorce and an overall embarrassment to our country.
Just pointing out a few facts.

But your argument here also has holes,

No hole at all. I am just pointing out fact.

conservatives are always told we're anti-poor, which means that the poor would not be conservative, and the poor often have lower literacy rates, which would thus make them unable to comprehend the "intelligent writings" of the left.

You answered your own hypothesis.
Most conservatives are poor and foolishly vote for Republicans that do not look out for their best interest economically. Poor conservatives tend to believe in ghost and run to their pastors for help/advice. They blame the Devil for their shortcomings and all the ills of the world. The truth is that the Devil is the man they send to Congress.

That made absolutely no sense at all.
White-collar professionals tend to be more liberal minded and in a corporate office setting, no one is sitting around on their ass listening to talk radio. They are busy working which means talking on the phone with clients, co-workers, doing conference calls, meetings, etc.
A blue-collar worker such as truck drivers spend a lot of time behind the wheel driving and has time to listen to the radio between deliveries, repairs, etc.
In terms of the politics of blue-collar workers, that depends on his/her intelligence.
A blue-collar worker who concerned about important issues such as his/her job will most likely vote Democrat.
A blue-collar worker who concerned about meaningless, divisive social issues will most likely vote conservative.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 18):
Glenn Beck , Mark Levin , Bill Oriely , Michelle Malkin , Dick Morris have all been on the NYT ,Amazon political bestsellers list for the many months .

Well of course. Since there aren't that many conservative writers, the few that do publish a book will have a built in audience that will automatically go out and buy it. It's like a new flavor of Kool-Aid to them.
There are thousands of liberal-minded books out there and few are plugged on radio stations.
Not all liberals think the same and it's a vast array of perspectives on the left.
Bring back the Concorde

seb146

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:54 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):

I have never understood why the right is so outraged when Olbermann says something about anyone on the right, but when Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, Coulter, Malkin and so on say the exact same things directed at the left, there is a huge cheering section ready for revolution.

I have a hard time following anything Olbermann says. I am sure it makes sense, but I just don't get it. Rachel Maddow and Ed Schultz and Randi Rhodes I can follow. Even Mike Malloy, but he is out there.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Superfly

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:57 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 28):
Randi Rhodes

Ozzie Osbourne's fmr. guitarist?
I thought he died in a plane crash over 25 years ago!  Wow!
Bring back the Concorde

ual777

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 am

Glenn Beck has emerged as a leading mouthpiece for the Republican Party. Shouldn't the Republicans and conservatives distance themselves from a lunatic like this if they want to win elections in the future?

Is he? I see him as a far right conservative. Nothing more.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):

Absolutely. yes
It's common knowledge that liberals are more intelligent. Granted there are a small handful of intelligent conservatives but they aren't of the Beck, Limbaugh, Palin, Plumber, Quayle variety.
Liberal parts of the US tend to have the most elite Universities, highest paying jobs, most valuable real estate with lots of museums and culture.
Conservative parts of the country tend to be uneducated, fundamentalist Christian, low-wage earning, high teen-pregnancy, high-divorce and an overall embarrassment to our country.

Common knowledge? Please.

I know we have had this discussion before, but I guess we can touch on it again. How are conservative states an embarrassment to our country?
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

Venus6971

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:27 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 25):
Since Beck was a DJ, times have changed, there is now a lot less tolerance and knowledge of any racist or stereotyping of ethnicity and race.
I want someone to find some real dirt on him like he was arrested abusing a woman, having sex with a man or with a too young woman, busted for seeing a prostitute, perhaps busted for buying drugs, didn't or doesn't pay his taxes and could go to jail over it. Something in his past or future will get him. People in his public position often go down someday due to their own arrogance.

I was listening to Beck this morning and he said there were many Private Investigators looking into his past life. If he was wrong all the time why would any of the super smart liberal's pay a PI to find dirt to try and shut him up? Beck even admitted that he was a scum bag before he became a Mormon and got sober.
I listen to NPR on the weekends, love "whatta ya know" and "Click and Clack" but probably shouldn't listen to them because they are well written and funny and should be over my head as a conservative leaning person.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:30 am

You mean like downtown Detroit, Oakland, Harlem, East L.A., East St. Louis, Washington, D.C., Flint, Cleveland, Atlanta and all the other inner city hell-holes that the rest of us avoid because we don't want to get shot? Because those are blue spots on the map. Maybe you should take a look of the murder rates in counties that voted for Obama versus counties that voted for McCain. I doubt there were too many McCain supporters in Harlem, yet it's not exactly a place I want to be.

This is the map from the 2004 Election, county by county:

There are a few in there, but not too many "Blue" spots on the map that I'd like to live in.  no 

It's common knowledge that liberals are more intelligent.

Common?

Liberal parts of the US tend to have the most elite Universities

Universities? You mean the people who earn PhDs without every setting foot in the real world?

A blue-collar worker such as truck drivers spend a lot of time behind the wheel driving and has time to listen to the radio between deliveries, repairs, etc.

You can listen to talk radio in a loud car factory in Detroit? (Oh wait, all of those are about gone to Mexico and Canada  rotfl  )

Most conservatives are poor and foolishly vote for Republicans that do not look out for their best interest economically. Poor conservatives tend to believe in ghost and run to their pastors for help/advice. They blame the Devil for their shortcomings and all the ills of the world. The truth is that the Devil is the man they send to Congress.

You make a statement like this and yet want to convince me that liberals are the intelligent ones? Yea, okay.  sarcastic 

No hole at all. I am just pointing out fact.

Fact? It wasn't backed up. Sounds more like an opinion to me, kind of like your liberals are more intelligent than conservatives is "common knowledge" comment.

You mean like Harlem?  sarcastic 

Superfly

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:44 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 32):
You mean like downtown Detroit, Oakland, Harlem, East L.A., East St. Louis, Washington, D.C., Flint, Cleveland, Atlanta and all the other inner city hell-holes that the rest of us avoid because we don't want to get shot?

Those aren't liberal bastions. They maybe Democratic but remember, not all Democrats are liberal. Those "hell-holes" you speak of have a LOT of Bible-thumpers too.

Universities? You mean the people who earn PhDs without every setting foot in the real world?

A vast majority of those graduates go on to find very good paying jobs.

Sounds more like an opinion to me, kind of like your liberals are more intelligent than conservatives is "common knowledge" comment.

Well liberals are.

You mean like Harlem?

Where former President Bill Clinton has an office.
In case you didn't know. Harlem is going through major gentrification and I doubt you could afford to buy a place there.

Back on topic.
Sounds like Glenn Beck caters to the paranoid guns & bibles crowd.
Bring back the Concorde

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:12 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 33):

Well liberals are.

Once again a statement with nothing to back it up. Huge shock.

In case you didn't know. Harlem is going through major gentrification and I doubt you could afford to buy a place there.

I wouldn't want to buy a place there. Waiting at 125th Street for the train to New Haven at 12:00 AM was scary enough. Never again.  no 

Those "hell-holes" you speak of have a LOT of Bible-thumpers too.

Can you back that up? Because about the closest relation to Christianity I hear or see in many of those hell holes is "Oh God!" after someone's been shot or maybe some wanna-be rapper wearing his ginormous fake-gold cross with fake diamond studs yet is swearing up a storm. Not exactly what I call "Bible Thumper" material.

But if you look at the electoral map and compare it to the population shift, you'll notice that many of the states that are losing electoral votes, such as Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, etc are historic blue states, and people are leaving, while the states that are gaining the votes are, with the exception of the west coast, historic red states, or at a minimum, swing states.

A vast majority of those graduates go on to find very good paying jobs.

And many of them probably become Republicans after seeing their tax bill.

Superfly

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:17 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 34):
Can you back that up?

Who are the leaders in those communities?
Why did you feel compelled to divide up New York City?
There are plenty of affluent parts of New York City that is very liberal. Far more liberal than the ghettos you singled out.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 34):
while the states that are gaining the votes are, with the exception of the west coast, historic red states, or at a minimum, swing states.

Historically conservative states such as Virginia, North Carolina, Indiana and Colorado.
...and who won those states in the last Presidential election?
Bring back the Concorde

futurepilot16

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:21 am

I think what we need to realize about Glenn Beck is that the man, ever since he was a young radio DJ, is an entertainer, who will do and say wild and wacky things in order to get ratings. He will say anything that pleases his audience whether that be Fox News or wherever he goes. So I don't see the need to take one of his weird interpretations about the Obama administration seriously. It would be like taking Stephen Colbert serious.

Liberals have it tougher because they have to read books, written by leftists, to tell them how awful America is. We righties only have to turn on the radio, to hear how leftists are ruining America.. Actually when I buy my rightist books I see more of them than lefty books in the political section. Books by Michael Savage and Ann Coulter sell very well. Righties read too. Savage is a bit too out there for me, but Ann Coulter writes a good book

I completely agree, the righties listen to all the propoganda that other righties such as Limbaugh have to spread. And you guys take the stuff seriously too. Man that is amazing, how educated people can listen to stuff from these extreme righties and take them seriously. It's almost laughable at best.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:04 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 35):
Who are the leaders in those communities?

What do the top ten cities with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

DEMOCRAT LEADERSHIP!

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn’t elected
a Republican mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn’t elected one since 1962;

Cincinnati, OH (3rd)… since 1984;

Cleveland, OH (4th)… since 1989;

Miami, FL (5th) since 1954 (only one "acting" mayor in 1996);

St. Louis, MO (6th)…. since 1949;

El Paso, TX (7th) has never had a Republican Mayor;

Milwaukee, WI (8th)… since 1908;

Philadelphia, PA (9th)… since 1952;

Newark, NJ (10th)… since 1907.

That answer your question?  rotfl 
And how many times over did the people of D.C. re-elect Marion Barry? Now there's a city I'd want to live in.... NOT. Oh and don't get me started on the mayor of New Orleans. And I don't think the majority of people in that city fall into the "conservative" category.

Albert Einstein once said, “The definition of insanity is doingthe same thing over and over again and always expecting different results.” Seems the people in some cities didn't get that memo.

There are plenty of affluent parts of New York City that is very liberal.

Yet the city elected Rudy Giuliani, who although socially more liberal, was conservatives on economics and crime, and low-and-behold, that's when the city turned around too.

Historically conservative states such as Virginia, North Carolina, Indiana and Colorado.

Colorado, Virginia, and North Carolina have always been been close swing states.

?Why did you feel compelled to divide up New York City?

Why do you stereotype the conservatives and historically conservative areas and then question why I do it to you with liberal areas? You've made it clear in your posting history that you have a major distaste for much of the South.

JBirdAV8r

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:18 am

Absolutely.

Actually, all of the evidence I've seen to date seems to indicate that Democrats fall at the extremes of the educational spectrum. The majority of people with less than a high school education to a high school education seem to support Democrats, as well as more people of the PhD level. Average Joes with post-secondary education up to master's degrees seem to be solidly Republican.

There are many ways to interpret the data. I think you're speaking in terms that might be a little too broad.

For instance, anyone who's spent time on a college campus knows that earning a PhD doesn't automatically translate into "intelligence." I've met many PhD's that are incredibly proficient in their fields of study but absolutely backwards in every other way. I don't believe educational achievement is always (or even most of the time) a reliable indicator of intelligence.

Also, as for land values...I think this is a relatively pointless statistic. That doesn't account at all for cost of living, average salary, etc. Just as an example about teen pregnancy--going by the Commonwealth of Virginia's statistics, the highest teen pregnancy rates by far come from the eastern region (Hampton Roads/Chesapeake area), a solid "blue" area. More conservative parts of the state have far lower teen pregnancy rates.

I live in a conservative area and, as you know, I really take offense when you say we tend to be an embarrassment to the country. That's outrageous, inflammatory, arrogant--and honestly, it's beneath you.

I'm a conservative Christian, non-fundie, non-teen daddy (or a daddy at all), college-educated, well-compensated individual living in an area you've determined to be wholly detrimental to the rest of the "real" United States. My parents are both well-educated and I was raised in an independent household, encouraged to embrace my own opinions on politics. And I turned out conservative! Contrary to your belief, though, I'm not all that unique in this area.

I am against stereotyping Democrats and Republicans as "smart" and "dumb." I think it really muddies and cheapens the argument. If you're intelligent and have an opinion, be it the same or different than mine, I'll listen to you and take you seriously. That is "real" progressivism.

Superfly

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:02 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 37):
That answer your question? rotfl

Nope.

Once again, you need to realize that not all Democrats are liberals.

Oh and don't get me started on the mayor of New Orleans. And I don't think the majority of people in that city fall into the "conservative" category.

Remember Ray Nagin used to be a Republican. There are many religious church-goers in New Orleans. I've been to New Orleans and it is hardly 'liberal'.

Colorado, Virginia, and North Carolina have always been been close swing states.

Not true at all.
Just look at those states voting patterns over the last 60 years.

You've made it clear in your posting history that you have a major distaste for much of the South.

You've made it clear in your posting history that you have a major distaste for Blacks.
So why should I respect you or your opinions? Go ahead and get your good ol' boys to gang up on me if you must.
Chime back in when you're ready to discuss Glenn Beck.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 38):
For instance, anyone who's spent time on a college campus knows that earning a PhD doesn't automatically translate into "intelligence."

I wasn't referring to your brand of conservatism. I was referring to the noise-makers that buy in to Glenn Beck's nonsense as well as the birthers, tea baggers, Palin supporters, etc.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 38):
If you're intelligent and have an opinion, be it the same or different than mine, I'll listen to you and take you seriously. That is "real" progressivism.

checkmark 
Same here!
Bring back the Concorde

SANAV8R

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:59 am

Yeah I was thinking this was about the rumor spread about Beck by anonymous and posted on places like Encyclopedia-Dramatica that he committed a certain crime in 1990.

I'm sure if Glenn Beck was the opposite of his current politics, the opposite side would be doing the same thing it is now. The point is you can't take him seriously.Or any television personality. Some days I think it is all phony and nothing is actually real.

To me he looks like he is on something, like he'd been up all night creating crazy thoughts and the kind of person who'd have tin-foil on his head, walk down Broadway wearing nothing and shouting "I'm the president of Jelly Beans!".

Yellowstone

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Someone's comment I read about Beck - he probably doesn't believe half the stuff he says, he's just really good at finding an audience and telling them what they want to hear. For all we know, he's not a human but rather the first chatbot to pass the Turing test.  Smile
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

falstaff

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:30 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 25):
didn't or doesn't pay his taxes

There are plenty of leftists that don't pay taxes.... Obama had a couple working for him.

It's common knowledge that liberals are more intelligent

Liberals are usually upset about something all the time though. Righties are more happy because we aren't worried about other people all the time.

White-collar professionals tend to be more liberal minded and in a corporate office setting, no one is sitting around on their ass listening to talk radio. They are busy working which means talking on the phone with clients, co-workers, doing conference calls, meetings, etc

I would agree, if they are lower level workers. The white colar jobs that I have had and have friends that have rarely allow radio listening. Blue collar stuff isn't as uptight and there is plenty of time to listen to the radio. A good example is my buddy's pipe manufacturing plant. In the office it is all about business, but out on the shop floor talk radio is on all day. Same goes for an auto repair shop, usually the office is quiet and the shop has a radio on. Another friend of mine works for the city of South Bend parks. He listens to talk radio all day while he is working. I wish I could do that.

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 36):
And you guys take the stuff seriously too. Man that is amazing, how educated people can listen to stuff from these extreme righties and take them seriously. It's almost laughable at best.

We should! That is the way it is. Why do you think that all the leftists have the right answers? You think liberal and you hear things the right has to say and think it is awful and biased. You hear leftists and think they are fair and balanced. I see the exact opposite. I think that a conservative thinker is correct, the older I get and the more money I make the more I think that way.

futurepilot16

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 42):
We should! That is the way it is. Why do you think that all the leftists have the right answers? You think liberal and you hear things the right has to say and think it is awful and biased. You hear leftists and think they are fair and balanced. I see the exact opposite. I think that a conservative thinker is correct, the older I get and the more money I make the more I think that way.

So you think that there are death panels, Obama is a Nazi, Facist, Socialist, communist. You think Obama is trying to take your guns so you have to stock up on them, likewise with ammo. You think Obama was born in Kenya. You think the current administration is trying to destroy the United States constitution. These are just a few examples of some of the things said by right wingers, and you believe all of this? Man that's a scary thought.

And what is so correct about conservatism? To keep the country in the dark ages? Go back to the days of slavery and have the rich get richer and the poor stay the same? That's all I think when I hear conservatism. I see a movement with people who are afraid of change because they don't want to see other social groups advance in this country.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

falstaff

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 43):
So you think that there are death panels, Obama is a Nazi, Facist, Socialist, communist. You think Obama is trying to take your guns so you have to stock up on them, likewise with ammo. You think Obama was born in Kenya. You think the current administration is trying to destroy the United States constitution. These are just a few examples of some of the things said by right wingers, and you believe all of this? Man that's a scary thought.

I know Obama is a socialist and maybe even a Commie. He isn't a Nazi, because he is a leftist. Facism and Nazism are rightist.

I know Obama was born in the USA.
I know the left is trying to take away guns
I know the left wants to change our country.

I like it the way it is, it doesn't need to change, except we need to cut taxes and reduce social spending. We also need to give our schools back to the locals and get the feds out of it.

Go back to the days of slavery

No, I don't hear anyone talking about returning to the pre 1865 days.

have the rich get richer and the poor stay the same?

Don't care either way. Too many poor people are poor because of their own actions. I see that where I work and where I live.

Aaron747

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:37 pm

Albert Einstein once said, “The definition of insanity is doingthe same thing over and over again and always expecting different results.” Seems the people in some cities didn't get that memo.

An avowed conservative quoting Albert Einstein??

The individual has become more conscious than ever of his dependence upon society. But he does not experience this dependence as a positive asset, as an organic tie, as a protective force, but rather as a threat to his natural rights, or even to his economic existence. Moreover, his position in society is such that the egotistical drives of his make-up are constantly being accentuated, while his social drives, which are by nature weaker, progressively deteriorate. All human beings, whatever their position in society, are suffering from this process of deterioration. Unknowingly prisoners of their own egotism, they feel insecure, lonely, and deprived of the naive, simple, and unsophisticated enjoyment of life. Man can find meaning in life, short and perilous as it is, only through devoting himself to society.

The economic anarchy of capitalist society as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of the evil.

From Einstein's lengthy essay on the purpose of socialism:

http://www.monthlyreview.org/598einstein.php

Hardly the best source of agreeable, even correct, commentary on the issues of the day, talented in theoretical physics as he was.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

falstaff

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:01 pm

This is the map from the 2004 Election, county by county

Look at all blue in the northeast. That is where American freedom began and that is where it will end.

Aaron747

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:07 pm

You mean like downtown Detroit, Oakland, Harlem, East L.A., East St. Louis, Washington, D.C., Flint, Cleveland, Atlanta and all the other inner city hell-holes that the rest of us avoid because we don't want to get shot?

You're really missing out dude. Lived in inner city San Francisco awhile back, heard shots and bumfights on many nights from my 14th story perch, but the proximity to any number of fantastic bars, breweries and eats was more than worth it. Not to mention the teeming population of single professional women and university students with a rather agreeable ratio of homosexual to heterosexual men (oh so excellent for those of us who prefer the ladies) - much better hunting than anywhere in those red zones to be sure!  Wink
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dreadnought

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 44):
I know Obama is a socialist and maybe even a Commie. He isn't a Nazi, because he is a leftist. Facism and Nazism are rightist.

Pardon me, but Fascism and Nazism are based on Statism - the state taking power over people's private lives and becoming highly integrated into corporate decision processes. Such activity by definition cannot be anything but leftist.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

Aaron747

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 48):
Pardon me, but Fascism and Nazism are based on Statism - the state taking power over people's private lives and becoming highly integrated into corporate decision processes. Such activity by definition cannot be anything but leftist.

Not to get too academic but Hitler actually referred to what he was trying to accomplish as "new socialism", but without emphasis on seizure of property or means of production. As you well know, at some point the totalitarian (far right wing) and radical socialist (far left wing) ideals merge and the ends of the spectrum become intertwined. He really proves it here:

"Each activity and each need of the individual will thereby be regulated by the party as the representative of the general good. There will be no license, no free space, in which the individual belongs to himself. This is new Socialism--not such trifles as the private possession of the means of production. Of what importance is that if I range men firmly within a discipline they cannot escape? Let them then own land or factories as much as they please. The decisive factor is that the State, through the party, is supreme over them, regardless whether they are owners or workers. All that, you see, is unessential. Our Socialism goes far deeper."

Adolf Hitler to Hermann Rauschning, quoted in The Ominous Parallels, by Leonard Peikoff C. 1982