Airboeing
Topic Author

Friday Useless Thread : At The Cash Machine

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:55 am

Hello

I was just verifying my last bank statement and I realized that I always withdraw the same amount from the cash machines when it is for having money available : 60 euros.
This can vary when it is for a specific purpose, but when there is no peculiar purchase foreseen, 60 euros is the amount that I take.

What about you ?
Some times my English is purely fonatiks...

ManuCH
Crew

RE: Friday Useless Thread : At The Cash Machine

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:01 am

Talk about a useless thread  Smile

Yes, it's always the same for me as well: 200 CHF, in mixed sizes (1 x 100 + 5 x 20).
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

andz

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:25 am

I think my most common withdrawal is R200 at a time.

One thing that has ceased immediately is drawing from the nearest ATM. I was bored the other day and reviewed my bank charges, holy crap! No nore using other banks' ATMs for me!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

swiftski

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:43 am

I use the "Favourite Withdrawl" option. I've set mine up for $100AUD

At home in the UK I take £50.

By chance, they are close to being the same amount.

Elite

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:18 pm

I usually take out HKD$400, but HKD$200 when I just want to add a little bit.

fxramper

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Haven't taken cash from an ATM in forever. I use a check card for every purchase. A lot safer and I get miles on personal and business cards.

dollarsign 

ManuCH
Crew

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Quoting Fxramper (Reply 5):
Haven't taken cash from an ATM in forever. I use a check card for every purchase. A lot safer and I get miles on personal and business cards.

I'd really, really love to do that. But not everyone accepts credit cards around here, especially for small purchases. Many have policies like "minimum CHF 20", so I need to have cash with me all the time.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Daleaholic

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:20 pm

Mine's usually £10 or £20 as I visit the cash machine quite often...
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

NWADC9

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm

I usually take out $19. Why such an odd number? I get ones  Wink
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

Bongodog1964

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:48 pm

My word some of you lead interesting lives

Personally I draw out how much I need for the next few days. Minimum £100 maximum £500

ShyFlyer

Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:46 pm

The most I've ever taken out at one time was $80, in $20 bills. Typically, though, I'll just take out $20. Nice round figure, that one. I don't like having a lot of cash on my person.

I never really got into the habit of using my check card like that. It stems from many years ago when check cards will still quite new. Many of the merchants that I encountered didn't know how to process it, even though you just swipe it like a credit card. Couple that with the fact that my bank couldn't make up it's mind whether or not to charge a fee for transactions using the card, and I just stopped using it. These days, its a different story (no fees, everyone knows how to process it) but I've just haven't gotten into the habit of using it instead of cash or the credit card.
I lift things up and put them down.

babybus

Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:56 pm

Same here. Every penny of my spending goes on my credit card to earn miles. It's amazing how it mounts up so quickly, but with BA it's hard to find a flight to use it on.  Sad

In Saudi Arabia the least you can get from a cash machine is 80 pounds (equiv). In the UK it is 10 pounds.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

DocLightning

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:14 pm

Quoting Airboeing (Thread starter):

What about you ?

Never less than US$100. Never more than US$200.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Sabena332

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:28 pm

I use a check card for every purchase. A lot safer and I get miles on personal and business cards.

Same here. I use my Lufthansa Miles&More MasterCard as often as I can because I get one mile for every Euro I spend. When a supermarket or a store doesn't accept MasterCard I usually pay with my Maestro debit card.

To answer the original question: Usually I withdraw 50 EUR at an ATM, that is enough for one week (as I wrote above, I pay mostly with plastic than with cash).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

DocLightning

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:41 pm

The sandwich shop up the road won't accept plastic for any purchase smaller than $10.

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 8):
I usually take out $19. Why such an odd number? I get ones Wink

Where do you live that has an ATM that dispenses $1 bills???
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Force13

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:20 pm

Always 60.00 USD unless a pub is in my immediate future then it's 80.00 USD
Do not taunt. Do not shake. Do not pander. Add coffee. Subject should be slightly human within an hour.

NWADC9

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 14):
Where do you live that has an ATM that dispenses $1 bills???

The newer PNC Bank ATMs dispense $1s, $10s, and $20s.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

HT

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:41 pm

Looks like I am the oddball here ...

I used to withdraw like 400 to 500 € per transaction, but this pretty seldom.
As I have been checking my account online for a number of years now, I visit my local bank's branch even less often.
Only recently withdrawals have become more often, as I am supporting my sister who, due to illness, no longer is able to work for life but do not get any state pension either yet ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:53 pm

The sandwich shop up the road won't accept plastic for any purchase smaller than $10.

Then they are in violation of their agreements with Visa and Mastercard.

Can merchants set a minimum purchase or charge a fee for using my Visa card?
Visa has certain regulations that all merchants that accept Visa cards must follow. One of those rules is that Visa merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transaction amounts, even on sale items.

If you run into a problem like this with a merchant, please notify your Visa card-issuing bank. Visa member banks have access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations as well as to the Notification of Customer Complaint forms which should be used by the bank to document and file merchant complaints.

http://www.corporate.visa.com/ut/faq.jsp#5

Q: Can a merchant charge me a fee to use my MasterCard card? Can a merchant require a minimum purchase amount to use my MasterCard card?
A: The answer to the first question is almost never; the answer to the second question is not ever. Merchants must follow certain acceptance rules in order to be granted the privilege of accepting MasterCard cards. One of these rules specifically prohibits the practice of surcharging, that is, charging a customer a fee for using a MasterCard card over and above the sale amount. Under very specific conditions, however, a merchant can charge customers - including those using a MasterCard card - a fee in addition to the transaction amount. As a general rule, such a fee doesn't violate the MasterCard rules provided the fee is charged to all customers engaging in the same transaction, regardless of the form of payment. Keep in mind, however, that it is not a violation of the MasterCard rules for a merchant to offer customers a price discount for payment in cash, provided payment by MasterCard card is on at least as favorable terms as payment by any other means. Another MasterCard acceptance rule prohibits merchants that accept MasterCard cards from establishing any minimum amount below which the merchant won't accept payment via MasterCard card. If a merchant displays a decal with the MasterCard logo to indicate that MasterCard cards are accepted, that merchant can not condition a sale based upon the cardholder disclosing any other information or identification, except under very specific conditions, such as when merchant needs to deliver merchandise to the cardholder's home or business.

http://www.mastercard.com/us/business/en/common/faq.html#211
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Leezyjet

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:56 pm

For me it's usually £20 just for buying the odd bit's and bobs, such as food etc.

Anything else I usually pay for with my debit card. The only time I ever have more than that on me is on a night out.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

AirframeAS

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:14 pm

I never use cash machines, they are evil. Even when I used my own bank's branch cash machine, I am still charged for using it. So now I just go inside the bank to get cash.

Cash machines are stupid.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

JBirdAV8r

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:26 pm

checkmark  That's what I do...generally I use a credit card that I pay in full every month. I rarely carry more than $20 in my wallet. I'm a points hoarder though...I've never used them for a reward...
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

signol

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:27 pm

For me usually £10 or £20 - most spending goes on plastic.

I remember a few years ago when spending a couple of months in Brazil, where the lack of small change is a real problem. We'd go to the cash point and take out R$599 - yes they had R$1 notes, each worth about 25p at the time!

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

andz

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 20):
Even when I used my own bank's branch cash machine, I am still charged for using it. So now I just go inside the bank to get cash.

In this country drawing cash over the counter costs more than using an ATM.

signol

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 23):

In the UK, any UK-issue bank card (not credit card) can withdraw for free at any ATM owned by a bank. You only have to pay a fee for using machines owned by 3rd party companies, usually inside pubs, small shops, garages etc. Although sometimes normal bank ATMs are in those locations... They are required by law to inform the user of the charge applied at the beginning of the transaction.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Springbok747

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 18):
Can merchants set a minimum purchase or charge a fee for using my Visa card?
Visa has certain regulations that all merchants that accept Visa cards must follow. One of those rules is that Visa merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transaction amounts, even on sale items.

Wow..had no idea. Does this clause only apply in the US or is it worldwide? Most of the fast food joints here (McDonald's, Subway, Burger King etc) have a minimum of $10, some classy restaurants have a minimum payment of $30! Same goes for certain supermarkets and gas stations.

Quoting Airboeing (Thread starter):
What about you ?

I try to use plastic wherever possible, but usually withdraw $50 from the ATM. I always have around $50 cash with me in case of emergencies.
אני תומך בישראל

ajd1992

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:02 pm

I take out the minimum - £10. I wish they dispensed £5, because a £10 note is too much. I never take out more, purely because I don't need more. I'm not old enough to drink, and anything i buy in shops or anything that's a big purchase I put on my Visa Electron card, if I can anyway I bought a drum kit about 6 weeks ago, that was my biggest ever purchase and no way I was going to withdraw £2500 cash for that one!  Wink

andz

Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:55 am

Quoting Signol (Reply 24):

That's pretty civilised. Just like having the speed cameras painted bright yellow. Here they would never consider warning you in advance of something that might be detrimental to your pocket!  Smile

QXatFAT

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:03 am

I normally take out $60 which ends up being $60 + $3 when I am not near my banks ATM!

The one time that I was very upset is when an ATM I was at out of town charged me $1.50 to see my balance!
Don't Tread On Me!

N1120A

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:29 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 6):
Many have policies like "minimum CHF 20", so I need to have cash with me all the time.

Yeah, they may well be violating their contract with the credit card company.

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 8):
I usually take out $19. Why such an odd number? I get ones

Crazy that you can get ones. Some BofAs now issue $50s from the ATM now, which is cool because I like $50s.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 10):
I never really got into the habit of using my check card like that. It stems from many years ago when check cards will still quite new. Many of the merchants that I encountered didn't know how to process it, even though you just swipe it like a credit card. Couple that with the fact that my bank couldn't make up it's mind whether or not to charge a fee for transactions using the card, and I just stopped using it.

I've been using a check card from the beginning and love it. I do remember that some banks tried charging (mine never did), but that fell out of favor very quickly. Now, banks try to discourage check use.

Call the credit card company, as said before.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 20):
I never use cash machines, they are evil. Even when I used my own bank's branch cash machine, I am still charged for using it. So now I just go inside the bank to get cash.

Cash machines are stupid.

What in the world? I would change banks.

In the UK, any UK-issue bank card (not credit card) can withdraw for free at any ATM owned by a bank.

And they don't charge non-UK people to use them either, though their home bank might. In the UK, I always use Barclay's, because BofA doesn't charge if I do. Same with BNP Paribas in France.

They are required by law to inform the user of the charge applied at the beginning of the transaction.

Here in the States, they post it in writing on the ATM more often than not.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 25):
Wow..had no idea. Does this clause only apply in the US or is it worldwide? Most of the fast food joints here (McDonald's, Subway, Burger King etc) have a minimum of $10, some classy restaurants have a minimum payment of $30! Same goes for certain supermarkets and gas stations.

It probably does apply world wide, but you have to push the issue.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Springbok747

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:38 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 27):
Here they would never consider warning you in advance of something that might be detrimental to your pocket!

Same here. Some ATMs in pubs, restaurants etc charge up to $5 for a withdrawal. I once used a nameless ATM (the ones they have in 24h petrol stations), and when I looked at my bank statement later, they had charged $4.50 for a $20 withdrawal! Absolutely ridiculous.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
It probably does apply world wide, but you have to push the issue.

Yeah, just found out it does apply worldwide. Went to Pizza Hut now, and charged a $5 pizza on my Visa card just for the heck of it  silly 
אני תומך בישראל

ABQ747

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:53 am

I really hate carrying around cash, so I always pay with plastic.
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

AirframeAS

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:04 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
What in the world? I would change banks.

That's Chase Bank for you. They sure know how to sucker the WaMu customers....  sarcastic  Considering changing banks, however....

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 31):
I really hate carrying around cash, so I always pay with plastic.

Same here. I never carry cash, there is no real need to do that unless you want your wallet stolen with cash in it.... Cash is not replaceable.

N1120A

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:18 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 32):

That's Chase Bank for you. They sure know how to sucker the WaMu customers....

I can't believe they charge for ATM use. Have you gotten an explanation?

AirframeAS

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:23 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
Have you gotten an explanation?

Yeah....

They sure know how to sucker the WaMu customers....

Because the WaMu stuff isn't 100% fully transferred over to Chase yet. Go figure!

N1120A

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:26 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 34):

Because the WaMu stuff isn't 100% fully transferred over to Chase yet. Go figure!

I'd demand a refund of the charges, especially if they are charging you at former WaMu branches.

OA412
Crew

Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:12 am

That's Chase Bank for you. They sure know how to sucker the WaMu customers....    Considering changing banks, however....

Something doesn't add up here. Chase does not charge for the use of its ATM's and has not been charging former Washington Mutual customers for the use of Chase ATM's for several months now.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

TreeHillRavens

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 18):
Then they are in violation of their agreements with Visa and Mastercard.

True. But nobody seems to bother to lodge a complain ... Certain smaller stores here especially those computer stores will revert the bank merchant charges (2% - 5%) to you whenever you want to pay using credit card/debit card  Angry

I usually withdraw RM200 (that's around $57) from the ATM each time. And when it's time for me to pay for my credit card bill, i usually withdraw RM3000 - RM4000 ($882 - $1176). That's the amount i usually spend on my credit card every month.

It's been a long time since i go inside the bank to withdraw cash since everything can now be done online and ATM, cash deposit machines and cheque deposit machines are everywhere. Our ATM here can dispense a maximum of RM5000 ($1470) per bank account per day. Certain bank account holders such as Citibank Citigold ATM card users can withdraw a maximum of RM10k ($2941) direct from the ATM in one day.

N1120A

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:36 pm

Quoting TreeHillRavens (Reply 37):
Certain smaller stores here especially those computer stores will revert the bank merchant charges (2% - 5%) to you whenever you want to pay using credit card/debit card

They try and do that in Morocco too. It is actually illegal there, not just a violation of their credit card agreement.

exFATboy

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:46 pm

I usually get $100 at a time, money goes fast in NYC, especially if you're out drinking...  drunk 

But of course I try to use my credit cards whenever possible, 'cause cash don't get me frequent flyer miles!!!  Silly

AirframeAS

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:25 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 35):
I'd demand a refund of the charges, especially if they are charging you at former WaMu branches.

Ive tried that, but that is not the all of the problems I have with Chase. There is actually more....

Quoting OA412 (Reply 36):
Chase does not charge for the use of its ATM's and has not been charging former Washington Mutual customers for the use of Chase ATM's for several months now.

When the transition happened, I used one of their ATM's to check my balance and pull out $20, I was charged $2 for the transaction.

Not only that problem I have had, I also had problems making a simple deposit at a Chase Branch after the switchover. They claim that they cannot process WaMu accounts because they don't have the software to do it, when in fact, I recieved a letter in the mail that I am to use the Chase branch from now one since the WaMu branch was closed.

Chase is one of the most frustrating financial institutions I have ever had to deal with, plus their people are so lazy and incompetent!

Me to the teller one time: "Yeah, my account is a WaMu account.... duh! Deal with it! You bought WaMu, this is YOUR problem." The look on the teller's face was priceless, I nearly made the girl cry. The manager was speechless, knowing that I wasn't stupid.

TreeHillRavens

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:11 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 39):
But of course I try to use my credit cards whenever possible, 'cause cash don't get me frequent flyer miles!!!

That is so true Big grin Cash is so yesterday !

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 40):
When the transition happened, I used one of their ATM's to check my balance and pull out $20, I was charged $2 for the transaction.

The bank charges in US is really getting out of hand. I noticed certain banks also charge an exorbitant fee for using other banks' ATM. Over here in Malaysia every banks charge a one flat rate of RM1 ($0.30) for using other local banks ATM and it is totally free for us to use other banks' ATM to check our account balance Big grin

As for foreign banks, some of them also have formed an alliance called "House" ATM and the handling charge is also only RM1 ($0.30). HSBC, Standard Chartered, UOB Bank and OCBC Bank are all in the "House" ATM network.

Citibank on the other hand does not belong to any ATM alliance here in Malaysia. Citibank is quite small here with only 7 branches and finding their ATM could be quite a problem. Citibank is confirmed to open 4 more branches here next year but still they are much smaller compared to HSBC.

RobertNL070

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:02 am

You only have to pay a fee for using machines owned by 3rd party companies, usually inside pubs, small shops, garages etc. Although sometimes normal bank ATMs are in those locations... They are required by law to inform the user of the charge applied at the beginning of the transaction.

Thanks. I'll remember that.

Once a month or so I'll withdraw about EUR 50. The vast majority of my payments are PIN-transactions. Swipe the bank card, very discreetly punch in the pin code, ready to go.
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

AirframeAS

Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:29 am

Quoting TreeHillRavens (Reply 41):
The bank charges in US is really getting out of hand.

And they are getting even more expensive as well... Soon enough, it might cost us $10 just to pull out $20! Ugh!  no