a1ring23

Cadel Evans World Champion!

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:07 pm

Wow, what a momentous occasion this is!!

Absolutely fantastic!! Can't wait to see him defend the title in Geelong next year!!

Go CADEL!!!
Where's the accelerometer on this thing?

MarSciGuy

RE: Cadel Evans World Champion!

Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:10 pm

Mind if I ask world champion of what persay?  Wink

MarSciGuy....  duck 
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

johns624

Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Quoting MarSciGuy (Reply 1):
Mind if I ask world champion of what persay?

Road Cycling. That being said, I can't think of another sport where being World Champion means so little. All the prestige goes to the winners of the Big 3 (Vuelta, Giro and Tour). The championship is seen as a consolation prize at the end of the season for the also-rans. Many of the big names don't even show up.

MarSciGuy

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:26 pm

lol that makes me look bad, I actually watch the Tour and other events when I catch them on TV  Smile
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

a1ring23

Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:13 am

Quoting Johns624 (Reply 2):
That being said, I can't think of another sport where being World Champion means so little. All the prestige goes to the winners of the Big 3 (Vuelta, Giro and Tour). The championship is seen as a consolation prize at the end of the season for the also-rans. Many of the big names don't even show up.

That is so not true.

The world champs might be less compared to the Tour, Giro, Vuelta, but that's just the way cycling is built around these days.

It is definitely not just a consolation prize...why else would so many big names target it??
Cancellara, Evans, Cunego, Valverde, Sanchez etc etc etc
Where's the accelerometer on this thing?