RGElectra80
Topic Author

Setting Up VPN/VNC Mac To Windows

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:42 am

I am trying to connect my home MacBook to my office Windows computer, but the directions I have from our "IT dept." (in quotations because we are a small office, so we don't have an IT dept. per se) don't work. Does anyone know of any Web sites or something I could look up to see if I can fix the problem? Thanks!
austinspotter.wordpress.com

Klaus

RE: Setting Up VPN/VNC Mac To Windows

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:06 pm

I don't use VPN myself at this time, but at least at first glance this looks like a nice introduction to what you need to do and know (at least for a start):

http://www.publicvpn.com/support/MacOSX105.php
Mac OS X 10.5 VPN

N328KF

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Uh, every version of Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 has VNC clients and servers installed.

The syntax is go to Finder, type Command-K, and in the dialog box that comes up, connect to your desired host using:

vnc://hostname[.domain][:port]/

For the VNC server, just enable Screen Sharing.

-JPH
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

pilotsmoe

Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:52 am

You're trying to get on your mac from work? You need to install a vnc viewer in windows such as http://www.tightvnc.com/. If it's the other way around, you'll have to install vncserver on your windows machine, mac's vnc viewer is incompatible with microsoft's remote desktop protocol. Don't forget to forward the port in your router.

Zentraedi

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:22 am

I use JollyFastVNC for VNC/ARD and CoRD for RDP to Windows machines.

Both are free and easy to use.

RGElectra80
Topic Author

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:13 am

Quoting Pilotsmoe (Reply 3):
If it's the other way around, you'll have to install vncserver on your windows machine, mac's vnc viewer is incompatible with microsoft's remote desktop protocol. Don't forget to forward the port in your router.

My office computer is on Windows. My home computer is a Mac. From the Mac at home, I need to access my office computer. My computer at work has the vncserver installed.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

AverageUser

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Perhaps you could reduce the number of unknows and borrow a Windows box that has the communications settings and the client software ok'd by your support for testing your home location? Once you have the Windows setup working, I'd suppose copying the parameters to your Mac is a cinch. If you're behing a firewall, or a NAT (most users are, especially on wireless networks) the settings likely need to be set as well. I don't know but sharing the instructions from your support could perhaps help?

Goldenshield

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:33 pm

LogMeIn has a Mac client, plus it's free for personal use. It installs a service into Windows that allows a user to log into the website to connect to the computer. In some cases, I've noticed that it's faster than regular VNC.

Also, TightVNC, IIRC, has a Windows server.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.