RussianJet
Topic Author

Youth Wraps Cat In Duct Tape - Arrested

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:07 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ted-on-animal-cruelty-charges.html

Quote:

"A woman spotted the gray tabby wandering, covered in tape, and brought the animal to the human society. The animal, nicknamed Sticky by animal welfare workers, was dehydrated and had to be sedated while the tape was cut off its fur."

I am astonished at this mindless cruelty.

I love cats. I know a lot of people out there don't like them, and I can respect their preferences, but this is just incredibly mean (not to mention bizarre).

Fortunately, the poor cat is doing ok.

What was the idiot boy thinking??

I hope they throw the book at him.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

DocLightning

RE: Youth Wraps Cat In Duct Tape - Arrested

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:52 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Thread starter):

What was the idiot boy thinking??

I hope they throw the book at him.

See, for cases of torture, I think that is the only situation where torture should be the punishment.

You wrap a cat in duct tape and dehydrate it? Then get wrapped in duct tape and left without food or water for a few days. Teach some sympathy.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Pyrex

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:55 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
See, for cases of torture, I think that is the only situation where torture should be the punishment.

So you agree that bullfighters should be made into shish-kebabs with skewers as well?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

pilotsmoe

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:27 am

You wrap a cat in duct tape and dehydrate it? Then get wrapped in duct tape and left without food or water for a few days. Teach some sympathy.

The kid was sent to a mental hospital. His family was murdered, and he bugged out(at least that's what I heard on the news)

LTU932

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:37 am

That asshole should be wrapped in duct tape himself, so he can feel what the poor cat went through. Good to know that the cat is doing OK, because what happened is not just simple animal cruelty, it's torture.

DocLightning

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:42 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):

So you agree that bullfighters should be made into shish-kebabs with skewers as well?

Maybe, in order to be a bullfighter, you should have to endure a painful rope around your testicles and getting jabbed at until your muscles don't work.

After you recover from that, you should be given the option of whether you want to be a matador.

I do oppose animal cruelty, even if it's a sport with hundreds of years of tradition behind it. Most countries ban cockfighting and dogfighting, right? Why is bullfighting allowed?

(The an$wer is that countrie$ that allow bullfighting have certain rea$on$ for refu$ing to ban it.)

If you need to kill an animal to eat it, kill it as painlessly and quickly as possible. If you need to do research on an animal, do it as painlessly as possible.

Quoting Pilotsmoe (Reply 3):

The kid was sent to a mental hospital. His family was murdered, and he bugged out(at least that's what I heard on the news)

You know, I've seen a few psychotic breaks in my life. In fact, I've seen a lot of psychiatric conditions because my training was pretty heavy on the psych stuff. People who are insane tend to lash out, but they do so suddenly, violently, and often without very much warning (word to the wise: if an obviously crazy person tells you to back off or he's going to hurt you, BACK OFF. I learned this lesson the easy way, thankfully). A cat wrapped in duct tape sounds to me like something done by a cold, calculating mind. It lacks the explosive, spur-of-the-moment quality of a psychotic break. It's more of a serial killer's way of behaving than that of someone who "bugged out."

Something has to be very wrong with your sense of empathy to carefully wrap a cat in duct tape like the photo shows.

Now, without any further knowledge of the patient, I can't make any other judgment. But my educated guess is that he knew what he was doing when he taped that cat and put it in a plastic bag.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Pyrex

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:06 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 5):
I do oppose animal cruelty, even if it's a sport with hundreds of years of tradition behind it. Most countries ban cockfighting and dogfighting, right? Why is bullfighting allowed?

I totally agree with that, but weren't you the one giving an example of a bull-fight in the greatest live "sports" moments thread?

pewpew320

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:34 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):

Money! I fail to see how people get a kick out of torturing animals! then again, I hate horse racing too :/

Pyrex

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:51 am

Quoting Pewpew320 (Reply 7):

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):

Money! I fail to see how people get a kick out of torturing animals! then again, I hate horse racing too :/

I wish that was the case. Fortunately bullfights are not a big cash machine in Portugal as they are in Spain, as most people oppose them, but yet the vocal few who support them still manage to keep the torture going.

Getting back on topic, how long until one of the usual suspects gets onto this thread to complain that God created man superior to all other animals and so animals are personal property and we should be allowed to do whatever we want with them?

stasisLAX

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:02 am

Something has to be very wrong with your sense of empathy to carefully wrap a cat in duct tape like the photo shows.

I read somewhere that children that torture or mutilate animals often become serial killers when they reach adulthood. I hope the authorities keep their eyes on this kid.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

DocLightning

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:18 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):

I totally agree with that, but weren't you the one giving an example of a bull-fight in the greatest live "sports" moments thread?

Yup. I went to one. Once. At age 18. And that was when I decided how cruel it was.

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 9):

I read somewhere that children that torture or mutilate animals often become serial killers when they reach adulthood.

Yup. It's the same cold, calculating, unempathetic mentality.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

desertjets

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 10):
Yup. It's the same cold, calculating, unempathetic mentality.

The "kid" is already 19.... but it should be cause for alarm.

It is stuff like this that really makes me not want to let my cats be outdoor cats. You just don't know what people, sane or otherwise, would do if one of my cats wandered into their yard.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 8):
Getting back on topic, how long until one of the usual suspects gets onto this thread to complain that God created man superior to all other animals and so animals are personal property and we should be allowed to do whatever we want with them?

Alternatively those people who argue that we should be focusing more on human on human crimes instead of animal cruelty. To which I argue that our treatment of animals is very directly related to our treatment of other human beings.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

DocLightning

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Quoting Desertjets (Reply 11):

The "kid" is already 19.... but it should be cause for alarm.

Yes, it is very concerning. He's just about the age where any number of serious psychiatric disorders can manifest. For example, schizophrenia manifests usually between the ages of 15 and 25. This isn't schizophrenic behavior (schizophrenic behavior usually makes no sense at all), but the point is that if something seriously big and nasty is going to pop up, it's this now that he doesn't have a family around to guide and protect him against himself.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Force13

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Any word if they found the owners or if Sticky has been adopted into a good home?
Do not taunt. Do not shake. Do not pander. Add coffee. Subject should be slightly human within an hour.

flanker

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Haha cool cat! I have 3 at home!

I know its cruel and all but i can't help to laugh at the picture.

should the authorities come and take me away?

[Edited 2009-09-30 10:16:10]
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

DocLightning

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Quoting Flanker (Reply 14):

I know its cruel and all but i can't help to laugh at the picture.

I agree it's funny because the cat looks so nonchalant about it all.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

RussianJet
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 15):
the cat looks so nonchalant about it all.

Very true. It's obviously a very nice cat, else it probably wouldn't have been caught and bound in tape in the first place.

andz

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:02 pm

He picked the wrong cat. The right cat would have clawed him to shreds. Looking at my cat gang curled up sleeping on the couch I cannot imagine how I would react if someone hurt any of them.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:38 pm

Doc, how come you make this argument of basically "an eye for an eye" in this thread, but then argue AGAINST the death penalty in another thread, which is the same logic, just taken to a further lever?
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

RussianJet
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:45 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 18):
but then argue AGAINST the death penalty in another thread

Just a guess, but possibly because he is still not advocating killing anyone.

PHLBOS

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Quoting Force13 (Reply 13):
Any word if they found the owners or if Sticky has been adopted into a good home?

Latest update from yesterday's Philadelphia Inquirer:

'Sticky' has found a family.

The cat that became a media sensation after being found body-wrapped in duct tape joined its new adoptive family yesterday, according to the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

A handful of people called to claim ownership, but no one followed through, according to spokeswoman Liz Williamson.

The rest of the article can be read at:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/62867702.html
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Fly2HMO

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:19 pm

I'm gonna be the first "heartless", "insensitive", and "cold"   person to say I think a 2 year sentence is overkill for this. On the same token, I'd say a $5000 fine would be more appropriate.

I mean, heck, the cat is fine. Had he killed it or caused more serious injuries (broken bones, cuts,etc), sure throw him in the slammer, but 6 months if anything. Had he killed it, why not, give him 2 years.

And don't pull the "would you like to get duct taped yourself" card on me. Apples and oranges.  talktothehand 

[Edited 2009-10-01 13:22:17]

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:48 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 21):
I'm gonna be the first "heartless", "insensitive", and "cold" person to say I think a 2 year sentence is overkill for this. On the same token, I'd say a $5000 fine would be more appropriate.

That's the maximum amount of time he could get. I doubt he will get that long. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he gets no jail time. Just the fine. If he does get the maximum sentence, he'll spend more time in jail for duct taping a cat then Michael Vick spent in jail for his dog-fighting ring, which was 19 months.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

RussianJet
Topic Author

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:06 pm

And don't pull the "would you like to get duct taped yourself" card on me. Apples and oranges

Ok, apples and oranges, chalk and cheese. But, would you like to be wrapped in duct tape, put in a plastic bag and dumped in a garden without food and water? Just interested.

DocLightning

Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:14 am

And don't pull the "would you like to get duct taped yourself" card on me. Apples and oranges. talktothehand

Why is it apples and oranges?

The thing is that this guy is a threat to society. Anyone with a brain malfunction bad enough to do this should not be free to wander around as he pleases. The next victim could very well be you.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

babybus

Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:52 pm

As a fellow cat lover, I would like to see this freak taken out and publicly horse whipped raw.

Firstly, why not pick on a fellow human who at least can fight back and secondly, what did this guy see adults around him doing that he thought wrapping a defenceless cat in duct tape would be funny or not a problem?
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

CPH-R

Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Anonymous is pleased.

Fly2HMO

Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:49 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 23):
But, would you like to be wrapped in duct tape, put in a plastic bag and dumped in a garden without food and water? Just interested.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):
Why is it apples and oranges?

I think it's pretty obvious. The cat can't fend for itself. If somebody dared try to do that to me they could expect to get a decent serving of whoop'ass.  box 

September11

Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:51 pm

........... someone wrapped cat in duct tape? just terrible!
Airliners.net of the Future

DocLightning

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 27):
think it's pretty obvious. The cat can't fend for itself.

Right. So I don't understand why that makes the crime LESS heinous?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

andz

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:26 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 27):
The cat can't fend for itself.

I have seen (and felt) cats fend for themselves, which makes me wonder how he got this right.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

stratosphere

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 am

You know I really don't know what it is about Philly and not only cruelty to animals but to humans as well. I don't know who is breeding these devients there but I remember the story about the dalmation that a family had to give away and these punks took him on the premise of giving him "Duke" a good home instead they tied him up and let their pit bull attack him then cut off his ears then finally smashed his skull in with cinderblock. Then the story about the losers who chased down a kid (honor student) and caved his skull in with a baseball bat while the few decent people who called 911 for help the incompatent 911 idiots never sent help til it was too late. Now this. I know these things happen in other cities also. But it just seems to me that a lot of stories like this that I tend to come across seems just disproportionately to be Philly and the surrounding areas. I grew up in North Jersey and always considered Philly to he a shi**hole.