rjpieces

Washington DC To Have Gay Marriage By End Of 2009

Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:52 am

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...lk_nt63q2NPIotyM9xpL4hwkwD9B5RBFO0

Excellent news out of the District of Columbia today. A marriage equality bill was introduced in the City Council today with 10 co-sponsors (out of 13 members). Mayor Fenty has long said that he would sign such a bill. Under Home Rule, Congress has 30 legislative days to pass a joint resolution (that would have to be signed by President Obama) to reverse the City Council decision. The bill sponsors hope to have a vote on it before Christmas. Finally, attempts to force a popular referendum on the issue have failed in the past as DC's Human Rights Act does not allow popular referendums on matters of human rights.

I am personally extremely proud to be a resident of the District of Columbia today.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

DocLightning

RE: Washington DC To Have Gay Marriage By End Of 2009

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:10 am

*Jealous*

But if out nation's capital...  Smile Future is bright!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Charles79

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:22 am

Quoting RJpieces (Thread starter):

I am personally extremely proud to be a resident of the District of Columbia today.

Same here!  bigthumbsup 

But the battle doesn't end with the District, that's why I'll be there for the march this weekend...

http://equalityacrossamerica.org/march

ltbewr

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 am

First of all, the Congress will find some way to ignore this bill or all Republicans and enough Democrats will want to stay away from this bill for miles. If somehow it does pass and Pres. Obama signs it, then he will have to end DADT as to the Military, and eventually will lead the Federal government to recognize in all laws same-gender marriages.

Pellegrine

Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:28 am

Very Cool. I'm sure all the DC gays are loving this.
oh boy, here we go!!!

D L X

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:14 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
But if out nation's capital...

Typo?

I wonder what pressure this will have in Virginia.

Mir

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:26 am

No way Congress or Obama shoots this down. Congratulations to DC!!

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Fly2HMO

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:58 am

While I don't swing that way, that's hopefully a sign of more openness and tolerance about that issue. I'd like to see it extend nationwide. I'm sick of seeing ultra-right-wing-bible-thumping-bigots bitching about something which, IMO, is a non-issue to them and non of their business anyways.

OA412
Crew

Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:03 am

Excellent news. Congratulations to those of you in DC.  champagne 
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

rjpieces

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:03 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 3):
First of all, the Congress will find some way to ignore this bill or all Republicans and enough Democrats will want to stay away from this bill for miles. If somehow it does pass and Pres. Obama signs it, then he will have to end DADT as to the Military, and eventually will lead the Federal government to recognize in all laws same-gender marriages.

I don't think you followed my original post. Congress and President Obama do not have to sign anything; they would only have to pass a bill and sign it if they are trying to reverse the City Council decision (which is very unlikely to happen).

This has nothing to do with Don't Ask, Don't Tell. As for federal government recogntion, that will not change with this bill. All of the gay marriages performed in Mass., Connecticut, etc are not recognized by the federal government for tax purposes, etc. Hope this clears it up.

Quoting D L X (Reply 5):

More likely to have a positive effect on Maryland...
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

September11

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:57 pm

Good for the District of Columbia !!
Airliners.net of the Future

DocLightning

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 7):
While I don't swing that way,

Yeah, about that... Jury's still out.  duck 
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

san747

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Good to see some positive initiative being taken in this matter!
Scotty doesn't know...

ltbewr

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:09 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 9):
Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 3):

I don't think you followed my original post. Congress and President Obama do not have to sign anything; they would only have to pass a bill and sign it if they are trying to reverse the City Council decision (which is very unlikely to happen).

This has nothing to do with Don't Ask, Don't Tell. As for federal government recogntion, that will not change with this bill. All of the gay marriages performed in Mass., Connecticut, etc are not recognized by the federal government for tax purposes, etc. Hope this clears it up.

Quoting D L X (Reply 5):

More likely to have a positive effect on Maryland...

I stand corrected.
Still, and with that correction, I suspect that some Repubicans will try to push for a reversal bill and extort Pres. Obama to sign it. I also suspect that if the DC law is accepted it would set a significant precident and put pressure on the President to end DADT.

Fly2HMO

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:12 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):
Yeah, about that... Jury's still out.

I have several female witnesses of my straightness thank you very much.  mischievous 

slider

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Because DC certainly doesn't have more pressing important issues...

DocLightning

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 15):
Because DC certainly doesn't have more pressing important issues...

Than basic civil rights and equal treatment under the law for all? Nothing is more important than that. NOTHING.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

mham001

Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:47 pm

Why is it ok to deny single people the same "human rights" as gays?

san747

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 20):

I don't understand. Can you elaborate?
Scotty doesn't know...

NIKV69

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:35 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 13):
I suspect that some Repubicans will try to push for a reversal bill and extort Pres. Obama to sign it. I also suspect that if the DC law is accepted it would set a significant precident and put pressure on the President to end DADT

Lots of you are forgetting Obama is against gay marriage aren't you? Besides he has far more pressing things right now and at the end of the day this is a state thing, not a federal thing.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

rjpieces

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:24 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 24):
Besides he has far more pressing things right now and at the end of the day this is a state thing, not a federal thing.

Well yes it is clearly a state thing, but the federal government does not recognize gay marriages that are legally performed in states that allow it, so there is also a federal component to the issue.

Charles79

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:30 am

Lots of you are forgetting Obama is against gay marriage aren't you?

No we are not, he's been very clear on this issue in the past and is one of the reasons why we are holding a march in DC this coming weekend.

at the end of the day this is a state thing, not a federal thing.

DC is not a state, falls directly under Congress' jurisdiction per the Constitution, that's why Congress (and ultimately the President) could get involved in the district's decisions.

Having said that, gay marriage is also a federal "thing" as without federal recognition we won't be afforded certain benefits at the federal level (like federal tax benefits or serving in the military, etc).

Uh?  Confused

DocLightning

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:36 am

Can I have some of what you're smoking? Any single person has access to marriage benefits. All you have to do is get married!
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

NIKV69

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:54 am

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 26):
DC is not a state, falls directly under Congress' jurisdiction per the Constitution, that's why Congress (and ultimately the President) could get involved in the district's decisions.

I know this but even Obama isn't stupid enough to get involved in this as far as DC goes. It will pass and won't be opposed as for the other 50 states leave it up to them.

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 26):
Having said that, gay marriage is also a federal "thing" as without federal recognition we won't be afforded certain benefits at the federal level (like federal tax benefits or serving in the military, etc).

Taxes? I thought the object of gay marriage was you wanted to be able to marry your partner? Again marriage is handled by state laws and should be left as such. Not sure why you want to drag Obama into this, it's going to hurt him and he doesn't need any more of that lately. He is getting slaughtered.

DocLightning

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:57 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 28):
Not sure why you want to drag Obama into this,

Because I got fed up at Clinton over this. He talked the talk, but when it came time to do things for gay rights, we got swept under the rug. So yeah, I do want to call Obama on his word. We voted him in. Is he interested in keeping our vote?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

NIKV69

Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:01 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 29):
Because I got fed up at Clinton over this. He talked the talk, but when it came time to do things for gay rights, we got swept under the rug. So yeah, I do want to call Obama on his word. We voted him in. Is he interested in keeping our vote?

Why can't you understand that it is not an issue for the WH? It's up to each individual state on how the laws governing marriage will go. You knew Obama himself feels that marriage is only between a man and a woman so why did you vote for him? Do you seriously think he is going to be able to accomplish anything to bring gay marraige to CA? The Fed is not going to get involved in this issue no matter who is in the WH.

OA412
Crew

Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:29 am

Who in this country other than gays is denied the right to marry?
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

N867DA

Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:47 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 28):

Taxes? I thought the object of gay marriage was you wanted to be able to marry your partner? Again marriage is handled by state laws and should be left as such

Since marriage is essentially a legal construct these days (two people can live together intimately their entire lives and never marry) it makes sense that homosexuals rally for the economical and legal privileges that go with government recognition of their cohabitation.

I'm sure it's obvious where this is going, but I'll spell it out anyway. When certain states recognize gay marriage and other states do not, the federal government is going to have to make a decision as to what privileges it will afford each couple in each state. It's asinine to suggest that the federal government recognize a gay married couple in Massachusetts as legally married but reject a gay couple in Alabama. The federal government will have to make a decision about the issue one way or another at some point in time.

In short, sooner or later the federal government will have to recognize gay marriage. It's pretty much a matter of when, not if. It's just unfortunate that people want to keep holding it back longer and longer for no honest reason.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

DocLightning

Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:50 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 30):

Why can't you understand that it is not an issue for the WH? It's up to each individual state on how the laws governing marriage will go.

No, because the Equal Protection clause is found in the Federal Constitution.

You knew Obama himself feels that marriage is only between a man and a woman

Yes, he did. And in the next sentence basically that he wanted to legalize gay marriage.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

rjpieces

Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
Yes, he did. And in the next sentence basically that he wanted to legalize gay marriage.

Ehhh, I wouldn't put that much faith in Obama. Don't treat him like some kind of liberal messiah--take him at his word on some things. Gays always have this attitude that "Of course he can't mean what he says, he just has to say it." We don't do ourselves any good buying into this line of reasoning.

mt99

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:32 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 34):
I wouldn't put that much faith in Obama.

While much of the gay population would love believe everything Obama says, everyone alson know that he does have his political hands tied to do certain things. That just reality.

You knew Obama himself feels that marriage is only between a man and a woman so why did you vote for him?

Easy. What was the other choice? McCain? Palin? - well she does have a "gay" friend right.

I mean - seriously. At least Obama's heart is in the right place. At least he will not actively move the cause backwards like McCain/Palin would have.

If he moves us at 1 or 2 steps forward, it would be a great day.
Step into my office, baby

NIKV69

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:37 pm

No, because the Equal Protection clause is found in the Federal Constitution.

True but most of the laws governing it are state and not federal.

Understood but again it will boil down to the state voting on it not him or the congress.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 35):
Easy. What was the other choice? McCain? Palin? - well she does have a "gay" friend right.

I mean - seriously. At least Obama's heart is in the right place. At least he will not actively move the cause backwards like McCain/Palin would have.

Either McCain or Palin wouldn't have much if any input on getting states to have civil unions or marriage for same sex couples. If you think the POTUS does your being naive. Get on the horn to your governor. Will cut a heck of lot more wood.

mt99

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 36):
Either McCain or Palin wouldn't have much if any input on getting states to have civil unions or marriage for same sex couples. If you think the POTUS does your being naive. G

Procedurally yes.. But you are saying that the POTUS does not inherently does not carry a sense "direction" when he/she would speak. The POTUS words and actions carry certain weight. The POTUS support does help.

If we would have had the POTUS demonizing gay marriage on TV - although like you say - technically, nothing really would have changed. It does not help the cause.

on the other hand

If we would have had the POTUS being open about gay marriage on TV - although like you say - technically, nothing really would have changed. It does would help the cause.
Step into my office, baby

rjpieces

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:51 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 35):
Understood but again it will boil down to the state voting on it not him or the congress.

You are ignoring what everyone has said in reply to this. There is a federal component to gay marriage that needs to eventually be addressed. Obama campaigned on and has subsequently stated his desire to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act ( a federal statute), which blocks federal recognition of state-performed same-sex marriages.

There are also two big cases moving through the courts that challenge DOMA on very strong grounds. We're more likely to see Courts strike it down than Congress repeal it at the pace we are moving.