Airport
Topic Author

President Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:39 am

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...10/09/nobel.peace.prize/index.html

Discuss...

==============

Oh here's my chance to use this joke!!!

So why did the scientist invent the silent door?

Because he wanted to win the No-Bell Peace Prize!!!! Get it? Sounds like Nobel! But it's a double entendre! A pun! A stroke of brilliance! Cause it's like Nobel! Except it's not! It refers to a lack of bell, hence why he invented a door that was silent...cause it had no doorbell! No bell! Or should I say, Nobel! Haha, get it? Get it? Anybody? ...anybody? why is everyone leaving and throwing rotten tomatoes at me? are those crickets I hear!?!

[Edited 2009-10-09 02:39:47]

racko

RE: President Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:42 am

There was a thread about this, but it was deleted for some reason.

I'm still surprised by the decision.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said. "His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

But I get their point.

Airport
Topic Author

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:47 am

Quoting Racko (Reply 1):

Yeah, that one was my fault, my apologies...

dxing

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:50 am

Quoting Racko (Reply 1):

Yeah there was, started by the same person no less. What's up with that?

Anyway, as I said in the previous one, congratulations Mr. President. I'd be wary of Jay-Z if he is in the audience. I thought I used to understand the criteria for the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize but perhaps the criteria have changed. Well a win is a win and he won fair and square.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

AirPacific747

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:51 am

Quoting Racko (Reply 1):
I'm still surprised by the decision.

So am I.

It is too early, and I think Obama has been hyped too much.

RussianJet

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:52 am

Yup, the world prefers a US president committed to diplomacy over force, only resorting to the latter when truly necessary. Finally the US has a president they can truly be proud of, something that has been absent for quite some time now. Congratulations Mr President.

Quoting Airport (Thread starter):

So why did the scientist invent the silent door?

Because he wanted to win the No-Bell Peace Prize!!!!

That 'joke' is the absolute worst.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

travelexec

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:52 am

I am a big fan of the attempts being made by the Obama administration to bring dialogue back into international diplomacy, and to get nations to remove the vocabulary of anger, war, suspicion and hatred from vogue. It is a fresh approach that people around the world applaud.

That said, it would seem to be a bit premature to suggest that it is worthy of the Nobel peace prize - the dialogues he suggests he would like to see happening are not yet all underway, let alone anywhere near yielding any results.

Airport
Topic Author

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:57 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 5):
That 'joke' is the absolute worst.

Hahaha!! I know! I love it! I can't decide what's funnier...the joke itself or the collective groans I usually get from the audience.  silly 

D L X

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:07 am

Even I think this is premature.

But maybe I'm taking a myopic view of things: has he done much here in the US yet? No. But, the Nobel is a global prize - maybe they feel that his election and speeches have had a profound effect on people outside the United States worthy of recognition.

But I also think that this cheapens the prize. Is Obama Ghandi, or MLK? No, not yet. I think we all hope that he eventually could be compared to them, but he can't yet.

macc

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:10 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 4):

Quoting TravelExec (Reply 6):
That said, it would seem to be a bit premature to suggest that it is worthy of the Nobel peace prize

the comittee has expressed that they also try to stimulate certain processes what they have done also in the past (Brandt and Gorbatschow). They rate this one the same I guess.

anyway, congrats to Obama. The world sure can use some less agressive times than under Bush and Cheney...
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

Pellegrine

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:13 am

I'm excited, surprised, elated, proud...  thumbsup  Obama!  highfive   kiss   wave 

That said, it would seem to be a bit premature to suggest that it is worthy of the Nobel peace prize - the dialogues he suggests he would like to see happening are not yet all underway, let alone anywhere near yielding any results.

A bit premature? Yes. But very welcome.
oh boy!!!

fatmirjusufi

I'm a bit surprised by this decision also - not if he deserved or not but as I know he was not predicted to be awarded!
DO FLIGHTS. NOT FIGHTS.

cgnnrw

I'm a big supporter of Pres. Obama and I really do want him to succeed but I'm also very surprised by this decision. I think there are many more deserving people who should have been awarded this prestigious prize.
A330 man.

Klaus

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:16 am

Congratulations!

Of course it is early into his presidency, but especially the Peace Prize has frequently been bestowed on people in the midst of their efforts or even early on.

Obama has already exerted a profound influence on the structure of international relations, on how conflicts are being understood and on the attitudes of the people involved.

There can't be any guarantees about the ultimate outcome, but his impact has been quite profound nevertheless.

I'm sure that there were many other worthy candidates, but this decision is still a sound one.

HT

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am

t is too early, and I think Obama has been hyped too much.

&

it would seem to be a bit premature to suggest that it is worthy of the Nobel peace prize - the dialogues he suggests he would like to see happening are not yet all underway, let alone anywhere near yielding any results.

&

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
Even I think this is premature.

I fully agree to the above statements.
He might have been due to win this prize next year, but now is way too early.

Quoting D L X (Reply 8):
But I also think that this cheapens the prize. Is Obama Ghandi, or MLK? No, not yet. I think we all hope that he eventually could be compared to them, but he can't yet.

Hard to compare Barack Obama today to these two shining figures of history.
Hopefully, history will show that the decision to award him the Nobel Peaze Price was justified.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 am

WTF what a joke, if they were going to give Obama the prize they should have at least waited until he had been in office for a couple of years and had actually done something peaceful, I like Obama but this is a joke and seriously debases the Award, even more so than the award to Gore in 07.

I would imagine this will provoke a massive outcry of public opinion and maybe even question the relevance of the award itself.

Klaus

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:25 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 15):
WTF what a joke, if they were going to give Obama the prize they should have at least waited until he had been in office for a couple of years and had actually done something peaceful, I like Obama but this is a joke and seriously debases the Award, even more so than the award to Gore in 07.

Turning around the relationship to the muslim nations, restarting nuclear disarmament and rebooting the relationship of the USA to the rest of the world in general (and the resulting attitudes abroad) is more than enough to justify it.

Springbok747

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:28 am

WTF what a joke, if they were going to give Obama the prize they should have at least waited until he had been in office for a couple of years and had actually done something peaceful, I like Obama but this is a joke and seriously debases the Award, even more so than the award to Gore in 07

checkmark 

What the hell has he done in the short term he's been in office to promote peace? In fact no one had even heard of him two years ago! The Nobel Peace prize is becoming a joke...
אני תומך בישראל

cgnnrw

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:29 am

I would imagine this will provoke a massive outcry of public opinion and maybe even question the relevance of the award itself.

I agree with this statement. I can see all the Obama haters going ape over this because no conversative politician has been awared this since Kissinger back in the 70s. Many right wingers are still pissed Reagan was never awarded the price even after he "won" the cold war.

I usually applaud the Nobel Committee for their decisions but this time I'm gonna have to give them a  boggled  this time.
A330 man.

Pellegrine

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:38 am

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 18):
I agree with this statement. I can see all the Obama haters going ape over this because no conversative politician has been awared this since Kissinger back in the 70s. Many right wingers are still pissed Reagan was never awarded the price even after he "won" the cold war.

I usually applaud the Nobel Committee for their decisions but this time I'm gonna have to give them a boggled this time.

No one that is respected in the international community likes conservative US politicians. Ok...3 people.  rotfl 
oh boy!!!

L410Turbolet

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:38 am

thumbsdown 

What a freaking joke!

Nobel Peace Prize for appeasment and blaring naivety?

The "peace" part of the Nobel Prize has gotten beyond ridiculous and I only feel sorry for those scientists who have to share the award for their TRUE contribution to mankind with dubious politicians.

Springbok747

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:43 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):
Turning around the relationship to the muslim nations, restarting nuclear disarmament and rebooting the relationship of the USA to the rest of the world in general (and the resulting attitudes abroad) is more than enough to justify it.

How many of these have actually worked? Whatever happened to actually doing the deed as opposed to just talking about doing something? Obama has done nothing but just talk about doing things. Awarding this prize is premature and just degrades the work done by people and organizations who actually deserve the Peace Prize ( you know Mother Teresa or Médecins Sans Frontières).
אני תומך בישראל

Klaus

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:47 am

I can see all the Obama haters going ape over this

I'm not sure we can hope for such rapid evolutionary progress...!  mischievous 

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:50 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):

But is it going to last?

I believe it would have much better if the Committee had finally given a posthumous award to Gandhi rather than giving it to a President who is still wet behind the ears.

Many right wingers are still pissed Reagan was never awarded the price even after he "won" the cold war.

If you were going to give it to Regan then you would also have to give it to Gorbachev.

GrahamHill

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:53 am

I'm a bit surprised he got the Nobel Prize. I'm not sure if he fully deserves it. I like Obama a lot, but his actions for a more peaceful world are far from being achieved or completed (or even started?).
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

HOMER71

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:01 am

Wow, I'm impressed: Obama's apology tour(s) actually worked!
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

avek00

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:03 am

I congratulate President Obama for winning the Nobel Peace Prize. If nothing else, the awarding of the prize to Obama implicitly validates part of my rationale for liking Scandinavia and Scandinavians as much as I do.  Wink

For those who need it spelled out more clearly -- Scandinavians LOVE Black guys. 'Nuff said.  Wink
Live life to the fullest.

Klaus

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:03 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 23):
But is it going to last?

One never knows.

But his impact is already real.

jfk69

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:07 am

Arafat........Obama.......Just a list of winners

Seriously, He won this because he isn't bush. We in America could care less about this right now. Don't pick up the award. Just focus on Health care and unemployment.

MD-90

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:13 am

At least Yasser Arafat actually had some impact on world affairs. What has Obama done?

us330

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:15 am

So am I.

checkmark 

Yup, the world prefers a US president committed to diplomacy over force, only resorting to the latter when truly necessary. Finally the US has a president they can truly be proud of, something that has been absent for quite some time now. Congratulations Mr President.

There are plenty of people in the U.S. who were proud of Bush (and, btw, Obama is actually continuing a fair amount of his foreign policy, especially in regards to Iraq). I didn't happen to be one of them, but I'm also not proud of Obama. I think he's all hat, no cattle.

Agree. I think the Nobel prize should be awarded for someone who actually accomplished something. So far, the only substantive thing the guy has done was be elected and deliver speeches. As much as I don't like Carter, at least he was present during peace talks and helped facilitate them (although some have claimed that he actually proved to be more of an impediment than facilitator).

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 21):
How many of these have actually worked? Whatever happened to actually doing the deed as opposed to just talking about doing something? Obama has done nothing but just talk about doing things

checkmark 

It cheapens the award tremendously. Also, Obama has quite a bit of an ego, and this only feeds his image that everyone is in love with him, and that he can do no wrong--even though there is a growing resentment among members from both political parties towards his presidency.

As a point of reference, though, for people thinking that this Nobel prize will guarantee that Obama will become one of America's greatest presidents, Jimmy Carter won the Nobel prize, and he is generally seen as one of America's worst presidents of the 20th century.

When I first saw the story, I thought it was an early April Fools Joke.

dragon6172

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:16 am

Nominations for the Peace Prize are due by Feb 1st. So if he was nominated by someone not on the selection committee, he had been in office all of two weeks when nominated. That will lessen the award plenty. If he was nominated by a committee member, maybe cut a little slack, but still a bit early. Maybe more accepting if it happened next year or the year after.
Phrogs Phorever

Vega9000

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:25 am

Congratulations to Mr. Obama, and by extension all Americans that helped elect him.

It does sound premature, but I thinks most Americans do not realize just how tarnished the US reputation was in the last few years. The fact that Obama has succeeded, in so few time, in cleaning up that reputation and bringing the US to the front and center of a new diplomatic offensive in dealing with the world's biggest problems, re-established the US to a leading place in the world, and restored America as a country to be admired, instead of feared, is nothing short of astonishing.

He may not have much to show for it in actual results, but it's a well deserved prize.

And if he can broker a lasting peace between Israel and the Palestinians, he should get the Nobel in Chemistry, for joining two incompatible elements.
Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.

ltbewr

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:26 am

This is a totally unexpected but very pleasant surprise. Indeed it is statement from the world that under Pres. Obama were are reversing a horrible track of the GWB administration from the war in Iraq, Gitmo, human rights and attitudes to the rest of the world. I would also include that this award is to also note that he is the first person of African heritage to be the President of the USA which is seen as the most powerful political leader in the world as well as leading changes in social policies in the USA such as bringing broader access to health care.

This Nobel Peace Prize Award should encourage the next steps for Obama to really live up to it. Get the USA troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Get Israel to end their occupations and expansions in the Palestinian territories. Get Iran to end it's development of nuke weapons. Finally really close Gitmo and deal with the remaining terror suspects held there in ways consistent with our laws and human rights agreements we are part of. Support dealing with issues like the human influences on Global Warming. Perhaps this award of the peace prize will encourage efforts for those areas. I hope so.

David L

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:33 am

I have to agree with most of the posts above. He may well earn it in the near future but so far it's all talk. I guess the other candidates will be kicking themselves for not saying they wanted to end all wars, famine and poverty and to cure all known diseases.  Smile

Yellowstone

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:40 am

Quoting Vega9000 (Reply 32):
And if he can broker a lasting peace between Israel and the Palestinians, he should get the Nobel in Chemistry, for joining two incompatible elements.

He won't get it, though, since they'll just give it to some biologist.  Smile

Sorry, it's a bit of a sore spot among chemists that they keep giving our Nobel Prizes away to molecular biologists just because Nobel didn't think to endow a Biology prize.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

baroque

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:43 am

I am a big fan of the attempts being made by the Obama administration to bring dialogue back into international diplomacy, and to get nations to remove the vocabulary of anger, war, suspicion and hatred from vogue. It is a fresh approach that people around the world applaud.

By now any change from the same old seems like an achievement. At least one can say that Obama's methods have a chance as opposed.

BTW, do any of those who use the phrase "I could care less about ...." actually know what it means????

Memo to DM Check Spelling merchants, with Obama entering the ranks of the Laureates is it not about time to enter him in the list of known words?

[Edited 2009-10-09 05:49:27]

commavia

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:46 am

Wow.

Suddenly Al Gore's Nobel Prize for his "documentary" actually seems deserved. I mean - at least he had to take his private jet all the way to Los Angeles to accept his Oscar. What has Obama done to deserve this?

Man, this could not provide a more crystal clear example of what Obama is: a celebrity. In the span of one week, his celebrity status has gotten him - not America, but him - something that he doesn't deserve and has no real value or meaning, and which does not in any material way advance in America's interest. Contrast that with one week earlier, when his efforts to win the Olympics for his country went nowhere.

Moral of the story: the world loves Barack Obama a lot (he's not Bush) - but not enough to actually do anything of tangible benefit for the United States because of it.

From Russian help on Afghanistan or Iran, to Chinese help with North Korea, to European cooperation on a whole host of issues that he needs, Obama has secured precisely 0 for the United States internationally since becoming President. Nothing. All he's gotten is a whole bunch of paparazzi flash bulbs.

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 33):
Indeed it is statement from the world that under Pres. Obama

This has got nothing to do with the world, the decision was made by the Nobel Committee who are made up of ex politions from the various political parties in Norway; after thinking about this for a while I think this was a politically motivated and that Norway will expect some concessions from the US for giving it to Obama.

vc10

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 pm

What is even more surprising is that apparently they based it on such a short time, as he had only been President for 2 weeks before nomination closed

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...ded-nobel-peace-prize-1800112.html

littlevc10

Klaus

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:09 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 38):
This has got nothing to do with the world, the decision was made by the Nobel Committee who are made up of ex politions from the various political parties in Norway; after thinking about this for a while I think this was a politically motivated and that Norway will expect some concessions from the US for giving it to Obama.

That is a highly bizarre idea. What "concessions" did you think of when you were writing this?

Quoting VC10 (Reply 39):
What is even more surprising is that apparently they based it on such a short time, as he had only been President for 2 weeks before nomination closed

But the decision obviously didn't fall at that time – and he would definitley not have won it back then.

Dreadnought

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:12 pm

I can see all the Obama haters going ape over this

I can't stand the guy, but I can't say I'm going ape. It just makes no sense. The prize is supposed to go to people who have made a lasting impact for the better. Obama has only beein in office for 9 months. He has accomplished absolutely nothing, apart from spending a hell of a lot of money.

Even the French government has made it clear that they think Obama lives in a fantasyland of naivete. Obama, by his administration's own admission, refused to allow the divulgance of the recently-discovered Iranian processing site at the UN Security Council session dedicated to non-proliferation which he chaired, in order to ensure that the event would be reported as a spectacular success for him. Instead of using the information where it would have had the highest impact, at a UN session dedicated specifically for that purpose in the presence of the Iranian delegation, he silenced our allies until the G20 summit a few days later, an economic event that has nothing to do with Iran or non-proliferation.

Does that sound like someone deserving of a Nobel Prize?
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

vc10

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:18 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
But the decision obviously didn't fall at that time – and he would definitley not have won it back then

I agree with you on that but surely you have to do something to be nominated so what did he do in 2 weeks

littlevc10

avek00

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:25 pm

Quoting Vega9000 (Reply 32):
It does sound premature, but I thinks most Americans do not realize just how tarnished the US reputation was in the last few years. The fact that Obama has succeeded, in so few time, in cleaning up that reputation and bringing the US to the front and center of a new diplomatic offensive in dealing with the world's biggest problems, re-established the US to a leading place in the world, and restored America as a country to be admired, instead of feared, is nothing short of astonishing.

Many Americans realize that the USA did what it needed to do in the years after 9/11, regardless of whether the Western Europeans were on board or not. Superpowers should endeavor to engender love and affection, but above all, they need to instill fear to be effective in the international arena.

[Edited 2009-10-09 05:28:51 by avek00]
Live life to the fullest.

L410Turbolet

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:25 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 41):
Obama has only beein in office for 9 months. He has accomplished absolutely nothing, apart from spending a hell of a lot of money.

Hey, it could be worse. Imagine Obama getting Nobel Prize for economy...!!!  crazy 

Klaus

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:28 pm

It just makes no sense. The prize is supposed to go to people who have made a lasting impact for the better.

No. That is a misconception.

This is the respective passage from Nobel's original will:

The Nobel Foundation - Statutes

"The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way: the capital, invested in safe securities by my executors, shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit to mankind. The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the person who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction; and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses. The prize for physics and chemistry shall be awarded by the Swedish Academy of Sciences; that for physiological or medical works by Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm; that for literature by the Academy in Stockholm; and that for champions of peace by a committee of five persons to be elected by the Norwegian Storting. It is my express wish that in awarding the prizes no consideration whatever shall be given to the nationality of the candidates, but that the most worthy shall receive the prize, whether he be a Scandinavian or not."

Obama easily qualifies for that. That past awards have deservedly gone to people for their entire life's work is actually less consistent with the stipulations than Obama's win is.

Obama has only beein in office for 9 months. He has accomplished absolutely nothing, apart from spending a hell of a lot of money.

Only if you've ignored absolutely everything else.

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:30 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
That is a highly bizarre idea. What "concessions" did you think of when you were writing this?

Who knows but there has to some other reason behind giving him the prize, it just doesn't appear kosher to me.

Klaus

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Quoting VC10 (Reply 42):
I agree with you on that but surely you have to do something to be nominated so what did he do in 2 weeks

He had already addressed international issues in numerous speeches and interviews during his extensive campaign, so the promise to follow through on that was plausible. But then, beyond many deserving people even Helmut Kohl was nominated among a bunch of rather implausible candidates...!

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 43):
Many Americans realize that the USA did what it needed to do in the years after 9/11

Some on the right still imagine that, yes.

Many more, however, know now that the USA should have done many things very differently.

Quoting Avek00 (Reply 43):
An America that is not feared is an America without power.

That you think that is why you failed.

Klaus

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 46):
Who knows but there has to some other reason behind giving him the prize, it just doesn't appear kosher to me.

You'll find that most people can understand the reasoning of the committee very well.

futurepilot16

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:42 pm

I agree with this statement. I can see all the Obama haters going ape over this because no conversative politician has

lol, can you imagine the response from them? It's going to be extremely funny.

Congrats to Obama. I wass really shocked to hear that he won, but it makes me proud as a U.S. citizen to see that our President, although premature, can win the Nobel Peace prize, instead of winning the award for worlds biggest enemy "cough" (Bush) "'cough".  bigthumbsup  . This only helps his bid for re-election in 2012. The GOP, as they should, will be shaking in their shoes after this.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 45):
Obama easily qualifies for that.

Exactly.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."