HAWK21M
Topic Author

GPS In Built Antenna In Cellphone.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:38 am

Anyone aware of the list of Cellphones available in the market with have a Built in GPS Antenna.
I use the N6110 Navigator & find it to be excellent,Unfortunately the Camera is not great for Night pictures.....The option is the N6210.Any others.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

hawaiian717

RE: GPS In Built Antenna In Cellphone.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:46 pm

iPhone 3G and 3GS have a GPS receiver. The camera doesn't have a flash, so I'm not sure how it is for night photos, though.

fca767

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 1):
iPhone 3G and 3GS have a GPS receiver. The camera doesn't have a flash, so I'm not sure how it is for night photos, though.

is the GPS on Iphone going to cost money to use? as it has to half use the cell masts for location...I wanted internet usage for 1 year on contract then pay as you go...and then hopefully just use GPS on it's own, also a question about using open Wifi without having to pay, does that work like the computer's wireless where you can hook it up to your house and not pay that data plan on iphone

Klaus

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Quoting FCA767 (Reply 2):
is the GPS on Iphone going to cost money to use? as it has to half use the cell masts for location...

Like most other phones, the iPhone uses assisted GPS, which means that it downloads the current satellite tables through the internet in order to save lots of time (the satellite data downlink is very slow by comparison) and on top of that cell towers are indeed used to provide a "rough fix" initially.

The result is that you will get the rough fix within very few seconds with the final fix not far behind if there is at least some satellite reception.

Using the GPS doesn't cost money to use per se, but in order to work as well as it can, it needs data access.

If you've got WiFi access, data will of course be pulled through that.

fca767

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:42 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 3):
Like most other phones, the iPhone uses assisted GPS, which means that it downloads the current satellite tables through the internet in order to save lots of time (the satellite data downlink is very slow by comparison) and on top of that cell towers are indeed used to provide a "rough fix" initially.

The result is that you will get the rough fix within very few seconds with the final fix not far behind if there is at least some satellite reception.

Using the GPS doesn't cost money to use per se, but in order to work as well as it can, it needs data access.

If you've got WiFi access, data will of course be pulled through that.

Danke Klaus  Smile
That is good then, I may buy an iphone one day, I like to keep my money safe Big grin

Klaus

Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Quoting FCA767 (Reply 4):
Danke Klaus  
That is good then, I may buy an iphone one day, I like to keep my money safe

You're welcome.

I'm actually using one of the smallest plans from T-Mobile myself, since I use the iPhone primarily through WiFi and need the cell network only occasionally.

So far my actual cell data volume has been rather modest, and that includes occasional use of the web and GPS/Google Maps.

As always, your mileage will probably vary.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:03 pm

I currently use the Nokia Navigator Software on the N6110,but it covers Six cities only.In case I'm moving ot of mumbai,I use Google maps using GPRS & GPS from the phone for plotting.Very accurate.

regds
MEL.

Sabena332

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:54 pm

My Nokia 5800 has a GPS receiver but I've never used it. I have a navi in my car and I even use that very rarely (exept for the "map function" which shows you all traffic-jams in the area around you, this is a feature I use daily).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Will be checking out the N6210 next week.Might just pick it up.  Smile
regds
MEL.