WA707atMSP
Topic Author

New Chicago Restaurant: Felony Franks

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:43 pm

This morning's Wall Street Journal has an article about a new restaurant on Chicago's west side. The restaurant mainly employs ex-prisoners, to give them a pay check and (hopefully) make it less likely for them to commit more crime in the future.

The restaurant's owner decided to call the restaurant "Felony Franks". The restaurant's logo is a hot dog wearing prison strikes, and menu items have a prison theme, too - like the "Misdemeanor Wiener", the "Guilty Gyros", and the "Probation Burger".

Unfortunately, the City of Chicago, and some neighborhood residents, don't find the restaurant's name, or theme, funny, and have tried to make it difficult for the restaurant's owner.

Link to article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1255....html?mod=WSJ_hpp_RIGHTTopCarousel

Personally, I think Felony Franks is performing a wonderful service, by giving former prisoners a hand up, and I think their marketing strategy is pretty clever, too.

Mir

RE: New Chicago Restaurant: Felony Franks

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Quoting WA707atMSP (Thread starter):
Personally, I think Felony Franks is performing a wonderful service, by giving former prisoners a hand up, and I think their marketing strategy is pretty clever, too.

I think the idea of giving ex-prisoners jobs is a great one, but I can see how some would think the marketing scheme is distasteful. I'm not fully sold on it myself, but even so I don't think the city should be trying to legislate against the restaurant.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day