stasisLAX

Buick Revives Regal Sedan - Based On Opel Insignia

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:34 am

Buick has announced its next vehicle will be the Opel Insignia-based "Regal" sedan.

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 345 File size: 34kb
2010 Buick Regal sedan

With the death of Saturn's Aura model (and all of its models because the brand has been axed by the "new" General Motors, along with Pontiac) Buick is expected to get a Opel Insignia based 4-door sedan - the car will be named the Regal. A version of the Regal, already branded is currently on sale in the Chinese market. Like the new LaCrosse, the Regal will be based on the Epsilon II front-wheel-drive platform, though the Regal will be positioned just below the LaCrosse by forgoing some of the more premium elements of the sleek-looking LaCrosse.

The Regal will be about four inches shorter in wheelbase than the LaCrosse, and about seven inches shorter in overall length. Powertrain offerings will likely stick to the 180-horsepower, 2.4-liter four-cylinder, with a possible optional engine upgrade to the 3.0-liter V-6 also found in the base version of the LaCrosse, leaving the upmarket models of the LaCrosse with a further step above the Regal in the form of the 3.6-liter V-6 with Direct Injection. No word yet on transmission choices, but I assume that the 5 and/or 6 speed automatic transmissions would be the obvious choices for this Buick.

Source:http://www.leftlanenews.com/buick-regal.html
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

aerobalance

RE: Buick Revives Regal Sedan - Based On Opel Insignia

Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:09 am

Cool! Will there be a NASCAR version?
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Charles79

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:35 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Thread starter):
Buick has announced its next vehicle will be the Opel Insignia-based "Regal" sedan.

I've seen the Insignia in the flesh and it's a beautiful car with some interesting lines and a high quality, stylish interior. If they combine its modern lines with the classic name of Regal then Buick might have a winner here...

...but I wonder if they will be able to differentiate enough between their THREE similarly styled sedans, Regal, Lacrosse, and Lucerne. The Regal and the Lacrosse are much closer than the Lacrosse and Lucerne so I can see some buyers either getting confused by the two offerings or opting for the cheaper saloon seeing the larger offering as not being "premium" enough. If I were at the helm at Buick I would keep the larger cars as saloons only and turn the Regal into a full family of saloon, premium hatch, a station wagon, and perhaps even a coupe/convertible.

N328KF

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:53 am

This isn't really news though. Buick has offered the Regal and Century side-by-side during the 1990s, and they were essentially the same car. Oldsmobile was notorious for it.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

sccutler

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Nice lookin' buggy.

I like both the LaCrosse and the Lucerne.

My Deville is, however, paid-for and likely to stay that way, and runs supremely at 103,000 miles, so I intend to keep it to 200,000 miles or so.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

desertjets

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 2):
.but I wonder if they will be able to differentiate enough between their THREE similarly styled sedans, Regal, Lacrosse, and Lucerne.

I think it will work. Largely because it seems like the Regal will be positioned as a more sporty model vs. the LaCrosse... which has no sporting intentions. Additionally the LaCrosse is almost a full-sizer, pretty close in size to the new Taurus, whereas the Regal is a true midsizer. As for the Lucerne I wouldn't worry about much confusion there. As it stands now it will continue to serve the needs of the more traditional Buick driver and be the luxury sedan upgrade at the Hertz counter. I have not read anything firm about what GM will do to replace the large FWD sedans (DTS and Lucerne).

Lexus has show having two similar cars at the same price point can work.... see the ES and IS. While not platform mates (IS is RWD, ES is FWD) the sit around the same price point but occupy different market niches. And both sell over 100k a year.

Powertrain offerings will likely stick to the 180-horsepower, 2.4-liter four-cylinder, with a possible optional engine upgrade to the 3.0-liter V-6 also found in the base version of the LaCrosse, leaving the upmarket models of the LaCrosse with a further step above the Regal in the form of the 3.6-liter V-6 with Direct Injection. No word yet on transmission choices, but I assume that the 5 and/or 6 speed automatic transmissions would be the obvious choices for this Buick.

As everything else that is new from GM has the 6-speed Hyrdomatic, the Regal will most certainly get it as well. Some rumors have said that the base model LaCrosse may get the 2.4DI 4-cylinder. This paired with the 6-speed auto has turned out some pretty impressive fuel economy numbers which may resonate with buyers. I would assume the Regal will get both the 2.4DI 4-cylinder and 3.0DI HF V6. If a performance version does materialize I would expect at least the 2.8T HF V6 or perhaps a version of the Ecotec Turbo.

Really good product like this, and the new Taurus from Ford, makes me confident that at least two of the Big 3 will survive and prosper in the next decade. Question is will it attract enough of the mindless appliance driving drones away from the Camcords.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

flyingwaeldar

Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:35 am

Powertrain offerings will likely stick to the 180-horsepower, 2.4-liter four-cylinder, with a possible optional engine upgrade to the 3.0-liter V-6 also found in the base version of the LaCrosse, leaving the upmarket models of the LaCrosse with a further step above the Regal in the form of the 3.6-liter V-6 with Direct Injection. No word yet on transmission choices, but I assume that the 5 and/or 6 speed automatic transmissions would be the obvious choices for this Buick.

I assume that these are Buick engines as the choice of petrol engines on the Opel Insiginia in e.g. Austria is as follows:

- 1.6 Ecotec 85kW / 115PS
- 1.8 Ecotec 103kW / 140PS
- 1.6 Turbo Ecotec 132kW / 180PS
- 2.0 Turbo Ecotec 162kW / 220PS
- 2.8 V6 Turbo Ecotec 191kW / 260PS
- 2.8 V6 Turbo Ecotec 239kW / 325PS

And on the gearbox side you can choose between 6-speed manuals and 6-speed automatic (depending on engine) with 4 x 4 option on some models.

Would none of these engines be interesting for the US market? And then for sure you have various Diesel options in Europe as well.

[Edited 2009-10-15 19:41:16]

Superfly

Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:43 am

If I were at the helm at Buick I would keep the larger cars as saloons only and turn the Regal into a full family of saloon, a station wagon, and perhaps even a coupe/ convertible.

bigthumbsup 

Now you're talking!  yes 
That would be a great idea.
Bring back the Concorde

desertjets

Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Quoting Flyingwaeldar (Reply 6):
Would none of these engines be interesting for the US market? And then for sure you have various Diesel options in Europe as well.

With the exception of the 2.8T HF V6 in a later arriving performance version it is expected that the US market Regal will see the 2.4L direct injection Ecotec four-cylinder and the 3.0L direct injection HF V6.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

N1120A

Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Now I wonder if they will put one of those fake convertible roofs on it Big grin

And on the gearbox side you can choose between 6-speed manuals

This combo would be sexy, but I doubt we ever get that Stateside.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Superfly

Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
Now I wonder if they will put one of those fake convertible roofs on it Big grin

That would be cool too!  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

N328KF

Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Now I wonder if they will put one of those fake convertible roofs on it

It makes me ill when I see nice European sports/luxury sedans with a landau top. It's usually a Mercedes-Benz.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Superfly

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 11):
It makes me ill when I see nice European sports/luxury sedans with a landau top. It's usually a Mercedes-Benz.

I've never seen landau roofs on European cars. I only see those on nice American cars.
Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln and Mercury look best with landau tops.
The bubble shaped cars of today don't look right with them.
Bring back the Concorde

Charles79

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
That would be a great idea.

I actually thought that they could have kept the Pontiac G6 convertible alive as a Buick, with some styling updates of course. Maybe it's already in the cards?

I agree. I was just checking the new 2010 VW Golf on the VW website and for the US market you can only get the 5-door Golf with the automatic, no manual option even offered (only on the 3-door). The stick shift is truly on its last legs here in the US, unfortunately!

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):

I've never seen landau roofs on European cars. I only see those on nice American cars.

You should take a trip to South Florida then 'fly. I've seen new Cadillac CTSs, Lexus LS400s, Mercedes-Benz C-Class...even a VW Jetta with a landau roof! If its got 4 wheels and a hard roof, they'll put one of roofs on it!

Superfly

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 13):
I actually thought that they could have kept the Pontiac G6 convertible alive as a Buick, with some styling updates of course. Maybe it's already in the cards?

I would certainly hope to see that happen. It would be a shame that GM spent all that time on engineering only to have it scrapped after a few years in production.

You should take a trip to South Florida then 'fly. I've seen new Cadillac CTSs, Lexus LS400s, Mercedes-Benz C-Class...even a VW Jetta with a landau roof! If its got 4 wheels and a hard roof, they'll put one of roofs on it!

Interesting. That would look neat on the Cadillac CTS but the others I am not so sure.
I do like the vinyl and cloth roofs on the newer Lincoln Town Cars that I usually see used as hotel courtesy cars. Ideally in black.
Bring back the Concorde

flyingwaeldar

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:54 pm

And on the gearbox side you can choose between 6-speed manuals

This combo is coupled with four-wheel drive and called the OPC version, it's available as a 5-door sedan and station wagon.

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:01 am

Quoting Flyingwaeldar (Reply 15):
This combo is coupled with four-wheel drive and called the OPC version, it's available as a 5-door sedan and station wagon.

1. It's not 4WD, it's AWD (Haldex). Huge difference.

2. Eastern side of the pond only.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

N1120A

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:29 am

The stick shift is truly on its last legs here in the US, unfortunately!

Well, I think it has seen a resurgence lately, especially with smaller, more efficient cars being more common now. Also, the BMW M5 got a manual transmission because of the US demand.

Dreadnought

Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:40 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):
Also, the BMW M5 got a manual transmission because of the US demand.

Uh... No. Americans rarely buy stick shifts - too much work. Europeans buy stick shift, even cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Specifically about the M5, the only transmission you can get with it is a flappy-paddle sequential manual.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

N1120A

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:01 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 18):

Specifically about the M5, the only transmission you can get with it is a flappy-paddle sequential manual.

Incorrect. And it was based on North American demand.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...d_Specs/M5SedanSpecifications.aspx

http://paultan.org/2006/12/10/e60-bmw-m5-now-with-manual-transmission/

Uh... No. Americans rarely buy stick shifts - too much work.

Actually, it is usually more because they just don't know how.

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:04 am

...that will get used once in the car's lifetime...then the tranny will go to automatic mode and will stay there forever.

The sequential trannys in high end sport(ish) cars have only one purpose - make them accessible to wealthy customers who otherwise wouldn't be able to drive them.

PS: On other continents (where drivers are actually able to drive not only steer) the M5 is available with 6MT too.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

N1120A

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:21 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 20):

PS: On other continents (where drivers are actually able to drive not only steer) the M5 is available with 6MT too.

Actually, North America was the exclusive domain of the 6MT E60 M5 at first. Not sure if that is still true.

Superfly

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:15 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
Uh... No. Americans rarely buy stick shifts - too much work.

Actually, it is usually more because they just don't know how.

...or we just don't like to waste our time shifting gears.
Sticks-shifts are fun on sports cars, off-road pick-up trucks and makes sense with small econo-cars. Those of us that prefer luxury sedans don't want to be bothered with shifting gears.
Bring back the Concorde

Dreadnought

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:17 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
Sticks-shifts are fun on sports cars, off-road pick-up trucks and makes sense with small econo-cars. Those of us that prefer luxury sedans don't want to be bothered with shifting gears.

I used to drive a BMW 540i, and I LOVED the 6-speed manual in it.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

PC12Fan

RE: Buick Revives Regal Sedan - Based On Opel Insi

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:26 am

It's cool the Regal is being revived, but as a proud former Buick Regal owner, it just won't compared to this family....

Big version: Width: 621 Height: 288 File size: 19kb
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

N1120A

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:31 am

...or we just don't like to waste our time shifting gears.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 23):

I used to drive a BMW 540i, and I LOVED the 6-speed manual in it.

Sport Sedan is different. Larry likes the kind of cars that indeed used to come with fake soft tops.

Dreadnought

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:36 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 25):
Sport Sedan is different. Larry likes the kind of cars that indeed used to come with fake soft tops.

He said luxury sadans, and the 540 applies. I suppose his preferences are for the category known as 'Land Yachts'.  Wink

[Edited 2009-10-16 19:37:09]

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:38 am

Those of us that prefer luxury sedans don't want to be bothered with shifting gears.

That's perfectly OK, but the topic is about a midsize sedan. A sharper version with MT (and perhaps with the Haldex too) could find some customers (could it be called Wildcat?). In my dreams. It will never materialize. I have a case of Blue on it.

MAH4546

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:55 am

Americans rarely buy stick shifts - too much work. Europeans buy stick shift, even cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Europeans would by more automatics if gas wasn't so expensive. In fact, European driving conditions are more preferential for automatics. It's funny that Europeans try to push it as a "lazy" thing. It's not. Europeans are just as lazy, but don't enjoy dirt cheap gasoline. Hence, America (and Japan, where gas is also cheap), prefers automatics. In fact, there is usually a strong correlation between a nation's high gas prices and the percentage of vehicles sold with a manual transmission, even within the EU.

[Edited 2009-10-16 19:56:35]
a.

N1120A

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:57 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 28):
but don't enjoy dirt cheap gasoline.

Neither do Americans these days.

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:03 am

Europeans would by more automatics if gas wasn't so expensive.

Or they weren't cheapskates themselves.

In fact, European driving conditions are more preferential for automatics.

Where in Europe? In countries I drove in, manual was perfectly OK.

Europeans are just as lazy, but don't enjoy dirt cheap gasoline.

When will Europeans stop whining and ask their governments why they have to pay 150% tax on gasoline? Your social system costs a buck or two, you know...

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:14 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
Neither do Americans these days.

Well, in comparison they do. I visited the old country in August and paid 1.2 Euro per litre of N95. The average income in Slovakia is roughly 700 Euros per month. Do you want to tell me that the gasoline in the US is not dirt cheap compared to that?

BMI727

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:19 am

...but I wonder if they will be able to differentiate enough between their THREE similarly styled sedans, Regal, Lacrosse, and Lucerne.

If Buick is serious about being taken seriously in the States, they'll make the Lucerne RWD. I'm not optimistic though.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Superfly

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:24 am

Europeans would by more automatics if gas wasn't so expensive.

Is there really that much of a difference in mileage between an automatic and manual transmission?

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 24):
It's cool the Regal is being revived, but as a proud former Buick Regal owner, it just won't compared to this family....

drool 
That was a phenomenal sports coupe!  bigthumbsup 

Quoting N1120A (Reply 25):

Keep in mind the Cadillac Seville came with the simulated carriage top from 1980 - 1997.
Towards the end of those 3 generations, those were sports sedans.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 26):
He said luxury sadans, and the 540 applies.

I guess those would qualify.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 27):
(could it be called Wildcat?).

NO!
Please don't disgrace that name-plate on a generic, run-of-the-mill, bubble-shaped rental car.
If Buick ever brings back the Wildcat nameplate, it better be on a full-sized platform as a convertible that seats 5 or 6 passengers with long & low styling.
Bring back the Concorde

flyingwaeldar

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:24 am

That's a rather broad statement, I would say. I love the automatic transmission on my car here in Hong Kong, but would not have one back home in Austria where I live in the middle of the mountains and my driving is mainly on twisty mountain roads going up and down.

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:33 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 33):
Is there really that much of a difference in mileage between an automatic and manual transmission?

With the small engines used in Europe the difference can be staggering. I was even shocked by the poor fuel economy of Jetta TDi I once rented here, compared to the European counterparts with MT.

NO!
Please don't disgrace that name-plate on a generic, run-of-the-mill, bubble-shaped rental car.

Now I'm sad.

If Buick ever brings back the Wildcat nameplate, it better be on a full-sized platform as a convertible that seats 5 or 6 passengers with long & low styling.

Now, that won't happen either. I have another case of Blue on this.

Superfly

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:38 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 35):
Now I'm sad.

No need to be sad.

With the small engines used in Europe the difference can be staggering.

True but with a larger car such as the BMW 540, is there a significant difference in fuel economy with auto vs. MT?
One would think that anyone who can afford a BMW 540 that cost of gas wouldn't be an issue.
Bring back the Concorde

stasisLAX

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:43 am

If I were at the helm at Buick I would keep the larger cars as saloons only and turn the Regal into a full family of saloon, premium hatch, a station wagon, and perhaps even a coupe/convertible.

And the proper name of a upscale Buick coupe/hardtop convertible??

RIVIERA, of course  eyebrow 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:48 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 36):
True but with a larger car such as the BMW 540, is there a significant difference in fuel economy with auto vs. MT?

Honestly, I have no personal experience. However, according to my former boss, there was little. 535i MT vs 530d AT was an entirely different story though. The 530d was much better on fuel. But he grew to hate it anyway. That, sort of, answers your next question:

One would think that anyone who can afford a BMW 540 that cost of gas wouldn't be an issue.

I fully agree with you on that. However, if someone buys an 540i with MT you may be sure he didn't do it for the fuel economy.

stasisLAX

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:59 am

Quoting Flyingwaeldar (Reply 15):

Perhaps named the Regal GS (sports sedan) and Regal Estate Wagon (with all-wheel drive)!

Source on high performance version of the new Regal: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/16/buick-regal-gs-sport-rumor/

The full-sized "H-Body" Lucerne sedan (and the V8 powered Lucerne Super) are going to be cancelled in 2010 by General Motors - the Pontiac Bonneville with also shared the H-body sedan chassis has already been discontinued. The "K-body" Cadillac DTS is due to be discontinued in 2010 as it is built at the same GM assembly plant (the Detroit/Hamtramck plant) as the Lucerne. The Hamtramck plant will soon be building the Chevrolet Volt hybrid, and the Cadillac based coupe (known as the Converj, hopefully to be renamed the "Eldorado")

BMI727

Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:11 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 37):

Now that is an idea. Take the Corvette platform, stretch it to squeeze in two more seats, add a nice interior and a V8 and get a nice halo model worthy of the Buick name. Make it more civilized, luxurious and easier to live with than a Corvette, and cheaper than an XLR with two extra seats. The new Riviera could fight with the new E Class coupes (formerly CLK) and Audi A5.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

N1120A

Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:24 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 31):
Do you want to tell me that the gasoline in the US is not dirt cheap compared to that?

The average Slovakian doesn't drive as much either.

If you drive correctly, absolutely.

That was a phenomenal sports coupe!

That is not a coupe. The only thing coupe-like about the Grand National is that it had 2 doors

Towards the end of those 3 generations, those were sports sedans.

rotfl  rotfl 

Only if you buy into Cadillac's marketing.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 38):
However, according to my former boss, there was little. 535i MT vs 530d AT was an entirely different story though. The 530d was much better on fuel.

Well, that is because it was diesel.

Depends on how you drive. Then again, you wouldn't be buying if for the economy, but the better sporting characteristics.

Superfly

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:12 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 37):

RIVIERA, of course

I would love to see that comeback as well but not on the current generic rental car designs.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 41):
That is not a coupe. The only thing coupe-like about the Grand National is that it had 2 doors

Hmmmm , so what is missing that dis-qualifies it as a "coupe"?

Only if you buy into Cadillac's marketing.

Well it the Seville was just as potent as any other Eurosnob-sports sedan of it's time. The only drawback to the Seville was that it was front-wheel drive.
The spiritual successor to the Seville is the current STS which is a rear-drive sport sedan that puts out over 469HP if you get the supercharged V version.  Cool
Best of all, it would smoke any BMW 5-series and would look great with a simulated carriage / landau top.  yes 
Bring back the Concorde

N1120A

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:19 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 42):

Hmmmm , so what is missing that dis-qualifies it as a "coupe"?

Too big.

Well it the Seville was just as potent as any other Eurosnob-sports sedan of it's time. The only drawback to the Seville was that it was front-wheel drive.

There were a lot of factors that made the Seville not a sports sedan. Soft Caddy seats, soft suspension, FWD, no manual transmission, soft handling...

Best of all, it would smoke any BMW 5-series and would look great with a simulated carriage / landau top.

Well, no, it wouldn't smoke an M5.

Superfly

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:25 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 43):
Too big.

The 1986 Buick Regal GNX was a mid-size car. It was roughly the same length of a current day Honda Accord.

Soft Caddy seats, soft suspension,.....soft handling..

That makes the car luxurious.

Well, no, it wouldn't smoke an M5.

It would certainly give it a run for it's money. If anything, it would go head-to-head with that import.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:13 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 20):

If it wasn't for BMW North America there would not be a manual M5.

Please explain this statement.

Dreadnought

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Europeans would by more automatics if gas wasn't so expensive. In fact, European driving conditions are more preferential for automatics.

Disagree - more mountainous roads need a better ability for engine braking. Automatics suck at that.

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:03 pm

The average Slovakian doesn't drive as much either.

I'd check the reality before posting that. In the more wealthy areas (like the Bratislava district), people put on their cars quite a mileage. In the poor areas people just can't afford it, so they drive less. Believe me, if they had to pay 47 cents per litre (yesterday's price in Detroit), they'd drive much more. And that's just straight conversion.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 45):
If it wasn't for BMW North America there would not be a manual M5.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
Actually, North America was the exclusive domain of the 6MT E60 M5 at first.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. Back on the topic, however, I still don't believe that the Insignia OPC with MT (or any manual version for that matter) will make it to North America under any nameplate.
Perhaps if Magna would start to sell Opels in Canada...

Superfly

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 47):
I still don't believe that the Insignia OPC with MT (or any manual version for that matter) will make it to North America under any nameplate.
Perhaps if Magna would start to sell Opels in Canada...

The proper name for this car if sold in America should be Skylark.
Bring back the Concorde

A342

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 16):
1. It's not 4WD, it's AWD (Haldex). Huge difference.

Now that's splitting hairs. No car (not trucks!) on the market today has a lock-up transfer case without a center differential, which seems to be the general definition of 4WD. All are AWD, regardless wheter it's a system that activates on demand (e.g. Haldex) or a permanet one (e.g. classic center differential).
I'd say the two terms are often used interchangeably.

With the small engines used in Europe the difference can be staggering. I was even shocked by the poor fuel economy of Jetta TDi I once rented here, compared to the European counterparts with MT.

Don't forget that an increasing number of classic (hydraulic torque converter) automatics is replaced by dual-clutch transmissions, at least in Europe. These mostly offer the same or even better economy (some have seven gears vs. five or six on the manuals).

A342
Exceptions confirm the rule.