Airstud
Topic Author

Your First Earthquake Memory

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:01 pm

Well I am already tired of these stories being blabbed round, here on the 20th annimaversary of Loma Prieta.

My first earthquake was the Joshua Tree quake, April 22 1992 at 9:51pm in Los Angeles. I had been sparring with my next-apartment-neighbor over their loud music and I would pound on the common wall to let them know I was pissed. They'd only just pound back; the childish inconsiderate turds.

Then that Wednesday night, there was a pounding-type sound or sensation, seemingly coming from the common wall. I was in the kitchen at the time, and I wondered how he had graduated from pounding on the wall, to making the whole blamed wall rock. Then I wondered how he was causing my other walls to rock, and for that matter, how the heck is he rattling the burners of my stove?

Only after it was all over did I realize it was an earthquake!! (For you see, I hadn't experienced an earthquake before.)

I turned on the radio and the traffic announcer said, "Quite a shaker we just had there." It was real close to the top of the hour, so I listened to the CBS Radio news headlines on KNX; in the third or fourth minute the guy said, "Reports just coming in of an earthquake felt all the way from San Diego to Los Angeles. This is CBS News. [commercial break]."

Luckily there was a front page article in the next day's Los Angeles Times that told me all the details.

Exactly one week later, 4/29/92, the LA riots broke out - in my neighborhood. I started to think Wednesday night must be "Calamity Night" in L.A....

Californians and other fault-line dwellers: Share your memories of your first earthquake experience!!
Pancakes are delicious.

DeltaRules

RE: Your First Earthquake Memory

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:21 pm

A place I never expected to experience an earthquake: San Juan, Puerto Rico. March 2009.

We had rented a condo on the 18th floor & a few minutes after 10pm, I went to sit down on the couch on the rental. As I plopped down on the couch, I felt what I thought was movement, though disregarded it initially, as I thought I was just temporarily dizzy from turning around & sitting down so quickly. I then felt the couch move & noticed that the TV I was watching seemed to wobble. I asked my mom (who was on the trip with me) "Did you feel that?", to which she said she did. A short tremor and randomly wobbling lampshade just after that confirmed what we thought we felt.

Fearing aftershocks or a bigger quake, we grabbed cell phones, wallets & a few valuables & went down 18 flights of stairs to the lobby. We asked the security guard if he felt anything, which seemed to confuse him, as he said he felt nothing. After about 20 minutes, we went back up to the condo & got on the internet. Sure enough, it was initially reported as a 4.3 by the USGS, but a few hours later, was listed as a 5.0 with the epicenter about 45 miles away from SJU.

We talked to friends who stayed on the 2nd floor of another building who said that they never felt anything. Taking that & the guard's account into account, we figured we only noticed because we were up so high.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

san747

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:57 pm

I slept through the Northridge Earthquake on 1/17/1994 as a mere child of 5 1/2. From what I'm told, my stepdad grabbed me out of my room in the middle of the night while I was still asleep and brought me to safety, then once we were cleared to enter our apartment again, he put me back to bed.

When I woke up, the first thing I remember seeing was my bookcase broken with books all over the floor, and then seeing huge cracks in our wall in several places. Pretty wild stuff.
Scotty doesn't know...

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:30 pm

First one I experienced was a relatively minor 4.2 earthquake sophomore year of college (in 2001).

I had come out to CA the previous year for college, so hadn't experienced an earthquake before that (in MA).

I was sitting at my desk in my apartment, when I heard a distant rumbling that grew in volume. I thought it was an airplane, then I thought it was a truck, then stuff started to shake. My desk looked out of the window in my room, across an alley at another building. One of the lasting images of that quake was seeing the building across the alley shaking relative to our building. When you've never seen that before, it is the most unnatural thing in the world. The other lasting image was seeing my 17" CRT monitor shaking back and forth on its stand on my desk....I thought it was going to fall off.

The whole quake probably lasted under 10 seconds...There were only a few large waves, and then it drifted away. It did feel quite big, though, because USC was less than 10 miles from the epicenter (Beverly Hills, I think). My adrenaline was pumping for the next 45 minutes or so....Was one of the craziest experiences of my life.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

HOMER71

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:31 pm

For me, it was Guam (Andersen AFB) in '82 of '83 when I was 10 or 11. I remember it felt like the floor was rumbling for a few seconds, then the house shook. A couple pieces of china in the cabinet fell and that was about it.

I think my dad said the next day it registered as a 4.0 or something like that...
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

22right

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:48 pm

My first memorable earthquake experience was in San Jose, Costa Rica in November 2004. We were visiting as tourists. We had just arrived from the US late that night and staying at the Hampton Inn at the airport that first night. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling strong vibrations and rumbling sounds. I groggily thought it must be a 747 or some sort of large jet taking off, that's shaking everything. But I felt something different was happening. When I completely awoke, I realized this was an earthquake. It continued for a while and I distinctly remember the sensation of real fear taking over because my wife and daughter were sleeping in the room and there was nothing I could do if the walls or ceiling came down. It subsided in a few seconds and then I could hear a lot of doors slamming as people were probably leaving the building. I called the front desk and they said not to panic. Needless to say, we could not go back to sleep for a while after that. I just found a link to the details of that quake: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2004/usrban/

I didnt realize until now that it was a 6.4!!

Quite a first memory of Costa Rica. The rest of the trip went smoothly and left us with a lot more pleasant memories.
"I never apologize! I am sorry, but that's the way it is!" - Homer Simpson

Sabena332

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:51 pm

I experienced one light earthquake on the Greek island of Zakynthos in the summer of 1994. I sat in a beach bar with two friends and we had lunch, suddenly I felt something strange, I thought to myself something like: "Either you had too many beers yesterday night or the beer you're currently drinking is too much in combination with all the beers you had yesterday night". A second later one of my friends said something like: "My chair is broken, I shake around in it even when I do not move". Another second later the waiter of the bar shouted: "Earthquake guys! Do you feel it?". Then we all realized it. It felt pretty strange.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

falstaff

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:53 pm

I remember a small earthquake in St. Louis, Missouri in 1991. Not much happened, I don't even remember what magnitude it was. All it did at my house was knock the phone off the hook.

Back in 2007 I slept through a 4. something earthquake in San Francisco. I actually woke up right after it ended and I thought It was a garbage truck or something. I fell right back to sleep. I didn't know there was an earthquake until I listened to the radio in the morning. I was at Superfly's house and he said it woke him up and he knew what it was. My dad thought it was funny that I slept through an earthquake. He slept through a rocket attack in Vietnam in 1971.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

PSA53

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:58 pm

The Sylmar quake of 1971 was my first memory of a bad shaker.San Gabriel Valley city of Monterey Park house is where I was when it hit.Like most,I was sleeping and got the rude awakening around six am and ran and got in between the door posts.
The quake was 6.4.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

SOBHI51

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:28 pm

I have three experiences with Earthquakes

1969 or 70 in Cairo was in school and it shaked for few seconds.

2004 Tokyo was at the Hyatt resting just arrived and felt it. Went out the room to inform my son in second room and saw that big hanging chandelier swinging.

Last one was in LA it was the strongest. I was also the first to report it on A. net   California Earthquake (by SOBHI51 Jul 29 2008 in Non Aviation)?threadid=1949702&searchid=1950000&s=earthquake+LA#ID1950000

[Edited 2009-10-15 13:32:45]
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Alias1024

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:02 pm

The only earthquakes I've felt were the Big Bear Landers quakes of June 28, 1992. I was staying with some relatives in California City, CA when they hit. The Landers earthquake struck about 5:00 am and was a 7.3 magnitude. Thankfully it was far enough away to not cause any more damage than throwing potted plants off of counter tops and onto the floor. Just a few hours later the Big Bear earthquake hit with a 6.5 magnitude and threw my breakfast onto the floor.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Yep I was there for Landers & Big Bear as well!!

Landers woke me up when it struck in the 5am hour. I was living near UCLA in a student-infested apartment building and thought at first that the punks upstairs were just partying too hard!! Then I noticed the whole building was rocking, and not just back and forth; but very noticeably UP and DOWN as well. That was terrifying. In fact the moments when the Landers earthquake was happening remain to this day the only moments in my life when I was fairly confident that I was about to die.

(shudders)

Yep, that was a big quake. It struck in Southern California but threw water out of swimming pools in Boise, Idaho. Also knocked some bricks out of a chimney, causing the death of a three-year-old boy 

The twerps on CNN kept saying that the shaking during the Big Bear quake was even worse than during Landers. Biggest load of crappicus I've _ever_ heard from so-called "tv journalists." Nothing comes close to what Landers felt like.

[Edited 2009-10-15 14:29:56]
Pancakes are delicious.

RussianJet

Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:37 pm

Lying down trying to sleep having just come back drunk at 0500 in a friend's tiny ground floor apartment in Tokyo, I noticed things in the kitchen rattling as though a heavy train was going past, gathering in pace. It was only when the shaking turned into the whole apartment swaying from side to side did I twig what was going on. That was a weird sensation.

I then, despite being still drunk, couldn't fall asleep as I for some reason thought there would be more to follow. Bah.

Nothing massive, but interesting to get an idea of what it's like.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Alias1024

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 11):
Then I noticed the whole building was rocking, and not just back and forth; but very noticeably UP and DOWN as well.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 11):
Nothing comes close to what Landers felt like.

checkmark 

Landers was strong enough that it literally threw me out of bed even though I was 100 miles from the epicenter. Big Bear wasn't even comparable.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

seb146

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:31 pm

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
Well I am already tired of these stories being blabbed round, here on the 20th annimaversary of Loma Prieta.

You, too, huh? Living in Oregon for so long, I always got sick of hearing about Mt. St. Helens and the Columbus Day storm of 1965.

The first earthquake I kinda remember was in Portland in the early morning hours of May 18, 1980. All I remember was my mom standing in the doorway of the bedroom trying to yell my brother and I out of bed. Didn't work.

The first one, after that, was the Rattle In Seattle on Feb 28, 2001. At first, I could hear it and thought it was the garbage truck. But, when everything started shaking terribly, I knew what it was. My partner, at the time, would not let me stand in the door with him. He was terrified. So, I stood in the closet door until it was over. Then, went to get some cereal, since I didn't know when the electricity would come back on. I didn't want spoiled milk with my cereal! To make matters worse, John (my ex) would not go back in the apartment for about an hour because he feared the building would collapse. One door did not close right after the quake, but, other than that, everything was fine.
Life in the wall is a drag.

flybaurlax

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:41 pm

The first quake I remember was the '89 San Francisco earthquake. I was sitting on my swing set with my older brother in Northridge, and all of a sudden it started to shake a little bit. We also noticed waves formed in the pool. We both ran inside and grabbed my dad to turn the TV on. We waited a few minutes and then reports came in, along with live images. It was pretty crazy. I missed the '94 Northridge earthquake because I was living in Germany for a year with my family, but our stay was cut short because of the earthquake. My dad flew home the next day, where an RTL news crew happened to be on the same Lufthansa flight. The crew came back to our house with my dad to interview him and see the damage. An RTL film crew also came to my aunt's house in Bonn where we were staying to interview my mom, my brother, and myself. It was crazy to turn the TV on and see a street near our neighborhood with water running down it and flames on top of the water. A few weeks later we returned home, after my dad cleaned up the house a little bit. We did experience some aftershocks, though.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 9):
Last one was in LA it was the strongest. I was also the first to report it on A. net

I felt that one, too. There was also a quake back in the summer of 2007 somewhere in Chatsworth, but even though it wasn't that big of a magnitude, I was lying on the side of my bed and was tossed out of bed.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

PlymSpotter

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:24 pm

I'd just finished a good red wine in the early hours of the morning and was sat surfing this very site to relax before bed, when things in my room began vibrating. Wasn't swaying, just the sensation that they were moving, then that the floor was actually moving too, along with the house - although I thought 'this is England, it can't be an Earthquake' - but it was. My housemates all slept straight through it.

I believe before things had even stoped shaking I'd posted a thread here on A.net about it, because I was sure it couldn't have actually been a quake, but also quite sure that it wasn't the wine. I guess that makes me a bit sad though  silly 

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SmithAir747

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 am

My first quake was the one that hit San Francisco in the fall of 2007. It was only a few months after I moved out here in July 2007.

It was a Tuesday evening in October (or was it November) 2007. I was at a Bible study on the 4th floor of First Baptist Church of San Francisco (on Octavia & Waller streets, a big building).

I felt the floor "rolling" under my feet for a few seconds. So did everyone else in the room. At first, I did not think of an earthquake, but I realized it quickly when the others commented on it.

I commented that it was my first earthquake! It was later reported to be around 5 magnitude, centered near San Jose.

That was my initiation into San Francisco!

Since then, I have felt other small quakes, whilst in my lab at San Francisco General Hospital; I often feel a slight tremor from the floor, and the chemicals in the jars on my lab bench get a little swirly...

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

CV990A

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:05 am

My one and only earthquake experience came in the earthquake hotspot of Hamilton, NY on April 20, 2002. I woke up around 5am to the strange sensation of the bed vibrating, and realized the door was rattling, and the stuff on my desk was vibrating as well. I remember thinking "I wonder if this was an earthquake", and rolled over and went back to sleep. Later that morning, after getting up, I checked the news and discovered we'd had a 4.-something magnitude quake. About half of my housemates had felt it, and one guy who didn't was so disappointed he tried to figure out how to do an "Earthquake Dance" to bring on another one so he could feel an earthquake too. It didn't work.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

flyingwaeldar

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:27 am

My first and so far only earthquake experience was the so called 921 Earthquake in Taiwan in September '99.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/921_earthquake

I was staying in a place called Mia Liau where they were building a large refinery / chemical plant on a piece of reclaimed land.
I came home from my favourite bar and about half an hour later felt the room moving and thought it was probably from the beer I had that night, but a few seconds later it really started shaking and I heard the excited voices of my neighbours outside.
My first look when I went outside was in the direction of the plant to see if it had blown up, but nothing unusual there.
Had no internet and telephone connections for a good week and the company and my parents started getting a bit worried when I could finally contact them.

Moved to Hong Kong about a month later and no quakes here,

Superfly

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:44 am

1987 Whittier / Narrows earthquake.
I was in 9th. grade in jazz band practice that morning.
The room started shaking violently and a few florescent lights fell from the ceiling and I never forget the scared look on my band teachers face.
Everyone in the class ran out the room in to the parking lot.
I accidentally stepped on a saxophone and it stuck to my shoes as I ran out.
The aftershocks were very scary as well.

the Joshua Tree quake, April 22 1992 at 9:51pm in Los Angeles.

I thought that was in the morning. I remember eating pancakes in the morning during the Joshua Tree earthquake.

Quoting San747 (Reply 2):
I slept through the Northridge Earthquake on 1/17/1994

I was living in Northridge when that happened. I spelt through it becuase I was $h!tface drunk and passed out hours before the earthquake.
When I woke up that morning, I thought someone came in an sabotaged my room.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 8):
The Sylmar quake of 1971

WOW you were in that one!  Wow!
Was it anything like in the movie Earthquake?

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 7):
I was at Superfly's house and he said it woke him up and he knew what it was.

I was hoping it would be bigger so I wouldn't have had to go in to work that morning because I really, really hated that job!

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 17):
I was at a Bible study on the 4th floor of First Baptist Church of San Francisco (on Octavia & Waller streets, a big building).

Is that the Church next to the Gay / Lesbian & Transgendered Center at the end of the Central freeway @ Market?

No getting stuck on MUNI is an initiation to San Francisco.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

SmithAir747

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:11 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):
I was at a Bible study on the 4th floor of First Baptist Church of San Francisco (on Octavia & Waller streets, a big building).

Is that the Church next to the Gay / Lesbian & Transgendered Center at the end of the Central freeway @ Market?

Yes, that's the very same one. I go to a different one now.

No getting stuck on MUNI is an initiation to San Francisco.

I've gotten stuck on MUNI countless times, and I've given up on it. In fact my nickname for it is "San Francisco Miserable Railway"!

I lived in London for 3 years, and got spoiled by its efficient Underground ("Tube") and bus system.

Guess how I get around San Francisco now? Walking!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Maverick623

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:05 am

My first (and so far only) time feeling a natural* earthquake was in San Diego, in 2003. I was on a JROTC field trip, and we were having breakfast at MCRD when I noticed the salt shaker in front of me fell over, and I felt a weird "rocking" sensation. I guess there was a 5.something quake just over the border in Mexico.

*I feel the ground shake everytime a fully loaded 747 applies takeoff thrust 300 meters away.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:26 am

I remember eating pancakes in the morning during the Joshua Tree earthquake.

You could be thinking of the Landers or Big Bear quake, discussed above. They happened two months after Joshua tree, starting at 5am.
Pancakes are delicious.

KevinL1011

Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:23 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 8):
The Sylmar quake of 1971 was my first memory of a bad shaker

I remember that one. It seemed to last forever.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 9):
1969 or 70 in Cairo was in school and it shaked for few seconds.

Another quake veteran!

1987 Whittier / Narrows earthquake.

I was driving on the 134 freeway near Burbank and didn't feel a thing. I was listening to KNX news radio and the anchorman began stuttering and then announced "were having an earthquake". I was on my way to pick up three German visitors at the Burbank Airport Hyatt. They were on the 8th floor and got pretty shook up, so to speak. One of them was so rattled, he chain smoked an entire pack of cigarettes in about an hour.

I've got you all beat on earliest memory. It was around 1961 and I lived in Whittier. I was walking up the driveway at my babysitters house after Kindergarten and had the same feeling as quoted below:

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 1):
I thought I was just temporarily dizzy

I fell down and almost immediately my babysitter came running out of the house hysterically. I thought it was because she saw me fall down and couldn't understand why she was so upset as I was not hurt. It wasn't until I was older that I finally understood what had happened.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

Superfly

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:28 pm

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 24):
I was driving on the 134 freeway near Burbank....

In what kind of car?  Wink
Bring back the Concorde

kc135topboom

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:38 pm

I think the first quake I remember was the 1983 Coalinga earthquake on 2 May 1983. IIRC, it was a 6.something.

In the last year and a half we have had several tremors around 3.3 and less here in DFW.

YYZflyer

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:24 pm

First one I ever felt was in the summer of 2000, I was 9. I was walking up the stairs from my basement and I was on the second step then the ground shook. It felt like it only lasted about half a second but it was quite an experience for a 9 year old. It was a 3.8

I went upstairs and my mom asked me if I had been jumping on the floor again.  cheeky  Though you can't shake the floors of my house in the basement, only on the main and upstairs.

I've felt numerous really small ones since then but they were all while I was in bed. When I thought I felt one I just layed completely still and sure enough the ground was shaking. I asked my science teacher when I was 14 if she felt one the night before and she said stuff in her kitchen was on the floor...good enough for me.

I didn't know we could get earthquakes in southern Ontario....apparently so!
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

PSA53

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 8):
The Sylmar quake of 1971

WOW you were in that one! Wow!
Was it anything like in the movie Earthquake?

(lol) Yes,in true Sensurround sound,too!And that Charlton Heston stole the words right out of my mouth.

O-M-G!
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

DocLightning

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 pm

Having lived in the SF Bay Area from 1996-2001, I never felt a single one. But when visiting my mother in 2004 in Santa Barbara I was woken one morning at 11 AM (this was after my Surgery rotation in my third year of medical school) by the house gently shaking back and forth.

I ran out to my mother (in my boxers) who was standing in the kitchen and said "mom! Did you feel that?"

"Feel what?"

It was a 6.0 earthquake that happened out in the middle of nowhere, but was felt all over California and Nevada. Only one personal died. A water tank collapsed on top of a lady's head, and of course it was the day before she was getting married. Horrible.  no 
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aeri28

Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:28 am

Probably my first major one was the one in San Francisco in 1989 when I lived on Washington & Leavenworth. I remember that day so well, it was unseasonably hot that day and not a cloud or fog in the sky. I worked at the BofA Building at 555 California and had left about 4:00 pm or so and was heading to Union Square. I remember walking down Kearny St and seeing in front of me about a half block, an 'estranged' friend who i had not seen in awhile. Funny how I saw him that day, and funny how I have never seen him since. (I'm sure he was fine and not injured). Anyway, I found myself at the rather newly opened Nordstrom at the SF Centre and was wandering about on the mens floor (which I think was on the fifth floor or so). I think this floor also housed womens perfume, but I rememeber all of a sudden hearing these loud crashes like somebody shot a bunch of glass with a gun, but it was all the perfume bottles crashing. The building was shaking up and down it seemed and I remember someone yelling to run by the doorways. I remember hearing gasps and shrieks from a few people as that 'centre' has an open atrium like area where the curved escalators go from top to bottom, and you can hear people on the floors. I dont' think anybody yelled "EARTHQUAKE" like they do in the movies.. lol.

All the lights went off in the whole building and we had to run down the curved escalators to the lobby and out door onto Market St. As I remember, I ran pretty fast down the escalators as you always think, in the back of your mind, there could be an eveen stronger quake and those escalators could crash. There really was a feeling of "is this it?" as you just don't know, especialy when you are in a building. I had friends who had to run down 40-52 flights of stairs from the 555 California building.

As I exited onto Market St, there was this bright sunlight at 5:15 or so, and I remember the streets being very dusty as if if someone had shaken a large carpet. Glass was on the street and pieces of bricks here and there. Union Square area seemed to fare well, although I remember the old I. Magnin department store on Stockton and Geary having much of it's glass blown out (that's the white marble building long taken over my Macy*s). I walked up Powell St up to Nob Hill to go home to find cracks in my walls. We didn't have electricity for 4 days on my street. Interesting times.

Superfly

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:31 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 28):
(lol) Yes,in true Sensurround sound,too!And that Charlton Heston stole the words right out of my mouth.

O-M-G!

Where you the drunk guy in the bar or the cop that punched the sheriff in front of Zsa Zsa Gabor's house?  Silly

I love that movie, I have it on DVD!

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 30):
I worked at the BofA Building at 555 California

I used to work in that building!
Bring back the Concorde

kc135topboom

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 30):
Probably my first major one was the one in San Francisco in 1989

wasn't that one also called "the World Series Earthquake"? That was the one that knocked down sections of the Oakland Bay Bridge, collapsed the I-880 bridge, and set the SF Marina on fire?

Jeremy

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:56 pm

It was in Santa Barbara but I don't remember the date.
I was at my Aunts home in Carpinteria and the water in the pool was sloshing around.
We drove up past SBA that day and there was a train derailment as a result.
One of the train wheels ended up in the center divider of highway 101.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 32):
wasn't that one also called "the World Series Earthquake"? That was the one that knocked down sections of the Oakland Bay Bridge, collapsed the I-880 bridge, and set the SF Marina on fire?

Officially known as the Loma Prieta earthquake (named for the peak in the Santa Cruz Mountains under which the quake was centered). Twenty years ago TODAY. (I will forever remember the front page of The Boston Globe two (2) days after the quake, reporting on the aftermath. There was a photo of Victorian homes collapsed onto each other like dominoes, running the entire width of the front page; and a powerfully austere headline, merely 4 words, but large enough to also run the entire width of the page: "A stunned Bay Area")

Frankly I'm a little disappointed with Aeri28, as I am sick and tired of the local media's tirading about this 20th anniversary; that's why I posted asking about people's 1st earthquake memories; in hopes of finding non-Loma Prieta stories (e.g., my Joshua Tree and Landers/Big Bear stories).

Aeri28, I require that you travel back in time and experience an earthquake other than Loma Prieta; then come back here to 2009 and post about it.
Pancakes are delicious.

chrisair

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:46 pm

Mine was the 89 quake in SF. I remember the violent shaking. I was at drum lessons and a giant stage monitor landed about 5 feet from me. But the most vivid memory was the little portable TV the place had that was tuned to ABC 7 when they were over the Bay Bridge saying "the Bay Bridge has collapsed." Incredible. That whole night was a sleepless affair with aftershocks, sirens and stuff. Our house was just fine, only some cans fell out of the cupboard.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 14):
The first one, after that, was the Rattle In Seattle on Feb 28, 2001.

I remember feeling that in Portland at the time. Everyone around me freaked out and I just kinda looked around like "oh gee, an earthquake." Guess that's what happens when you grow up in California.

I was also at a basketball game a few years back at Cal in Berkeley when an earthquake hit. The officials were about to assess a technical foul on the Cal fans for "moving the floor" when they realized it was an earthquake. I knew instantly what it was and my coworker, a farm boy from Kansas was excited to call home and tell his mother he was "in an earthquake!" He then proceeded to tell me he needs to find a volcano and a tsunami and he'll complete the list of natural disasters.

It wasn't scary until a giant bolt fell out of the rafters and rolled to me. Then I started wondering about the integrity of the Haas Pavilion roof....

Exactly one week later, 4/29/92, the LA riots broke out - in my neighborhood. I started to think Wednesday night must be "Calamity Night" in L.A....

Good lord. Welcome to LA!

Jalap

Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:09 pm

Even here in Belgium we have a small quake every 10 years or so. There was one in '92, a 5,8 (the Roermond quake) but I largely slept through it. I did wake up a bit when some stuff fell on the ground but I blamed the cat for that!

In '95 there was a 4,5 that did manage to wake me and make me realise it's an earthquake. I have to thank the poor quality of the heating system in my student room for that  Smile