Baexecutive
Topic Author

If You Found A Wallet...

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:05 am

And it had loads of 'high-end' bank/credit cards in it i.e. Amex Platinum, Coutts, Natwest Black etc etc but it also had £100 in it would you....

A. Hand the wallet into the nearest police station?
B. Take all the money out and throw the wallet away?

or

C. Take a tenner out and hand the wallet into the nearest cop shop?

And if you ever lost your wallet and someone got it back to you, would you reward that person at all?

tootallsd

RE: If You Found A Wallet...

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:17 am

I would try to contact the owner immediately. Failing that I would leave it an appropriate lost and found or police station. If you have ever lost these items, you know what a hassle it is. Ten pounds or ten dollars is not enough to compromise my values.

flybaurlax

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:17 am

I would take the wallet back as I found it, and refuse any reward if offered. I have found a wallet once, and turned it in to the local police station. We got a call from the station to let us know that the owner picked it up and was very thankful. I would like for someone to do the same for me if I ever lost mine. I would offer a reward, but would regard the person very highly if they refused it.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

UAL747

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:25 am

You'd be stupid to use the credit cards anywhere. The cash, you could, but morally, it would be wrong I suppose.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

kiwiinoz

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:37 am

Taking the cash is stealing. It doesn't matter if someone lost the wallet, that doesn't change the fact that it is their property. It's no different to walking into someones garage that they have left open and stealing their stuff.

I would definitely not take the money, however I wouldn't stuff around trying to find the owner. Nearest cop shop and they can sort it out. No reward required as I wouldn't really have done anything, and think it's a bit silly to reward people for not being criminals

jm017

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:49 am

Quoting Baexecutive (Thread starter):
And it had loads of 'high-end' bank/credit cards in it i.e. Amex Platinum, Coutts, Natwest Black etc etc but it also had £100 in it would you....

Years ago, someone showed me that courtesy. They returned the wallet and all its contents to me by mail. I would do the same. And I wouldn't take a penny.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

ajd1992

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:50 am

Return it and hope for a reward.

Saying that, I've lost mine... It's got £20 and 10CHF as well as £1400 on my visa electron, plus driving licence and NI card, so if anybody finds it, it's mine  Wink At least I know it's in the house somewhere, not on the street!

WarRI1

Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:43 am

I applaud the honesty, but unfortunatly, the reality shows differently. I myself would never dream of not giving it back, I hope I have taught my children the same values. In most cases, it is not given back in my experiance. Now if I found a BANK bag from an armored truck, I might have a struggle with my concience. You know those nice bankers.  Smile
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

ShyFlyer

Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:44 am

Turn it into the closest appropriate authorities.

At work a couple of weeks ago, I found $80 in cash in the parking lot. No one was around so there was no one to see me pick up the money. I turned it in anyway. At the close of business that day, no one had claimed it, so the money was given back to me.  Big grin
I lift things up and put them down.

ArmitageShanks

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:34 am

I'd return it like I found it.

I lost my wallet in Amsterdam and it magically appeared in my mail about 6 months later- cash and all.

Braybuddy

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:40 am

A couple of years ago, after parking at the airport car park, I noticed something sticking-out from underneath the back tyre. It was a wallet, stuffed with various cards (no credit cards) and a small amount of money (around 30 euro), plus some other small personal effects. There was no address, so I rang the various organisations' cards and eventually got the address and phone number of the owner, who happened to live about five miles from me. It was easier for me to call to her, as I frequently drive in that direction, so I dropped it to the door one morning. The woman's daughter answered the door, and immediately opened the wallet as she said her mother told her to give me the cash. Naturally I refused, as I was able to deduce from the wallet's contents (and the address) that the woman wasn't wealthy, but had it been a large amount of cash belonging to a company I'd have no problem in accepting a reward.

I'd like to think most people would react in a similar way. I've lost things in the past and sometimes they've been found and returned, sometimes not. While there was nothing of any great value in that wallet, there's a lot of hassle involved in replacing lost cards, and I was thinking more of this than the actual small monetary value involved.

BCAL

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:43 am

A few years back I did find a wallet with quite a bit of money and many credit cards in it and handed this in at the nearest police station who asked me to leave my name and address should the owner wish to send me any reward.

A few weeks later I did receive a letter from the owner thanking me for returning the wallet but also requesting that I send him the $500 that was missing when he received it. So if I found one today, I would probably take all the cash and dump the wallet.

If someone returned my wallet intact, I would certainly reward them.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Superfly

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:13 am

No need to involve the police since most wallets already have identification in it.
Just simply contact the person.
I can recall a time when I found a purse on a bench at a bus stop. (This was pre 9/11). The purse had important immigration documents and it belonged to an older lady from The Philippines. Her phone/address book was also in the purse I contacted a local relative with the same last name. It was her daughter & law and I explained the situation and gave her my phone number.
The owner was so grateful when I met her to give her purse back to her. She was actually crying. She had gone hysterical because her immigration papers were in that purse.
She insisted on giving me money but I decline because I know she didn't have a lot.

I found a cellphone on the sidewalk next to my house. I called the most recent number to let them know that I had found their contacts phone on the street. It was actually my next door neighbor's phone. I had just moved on to the street like a month before and for the past 6 years I've lived on this street, they think the world of me. Often times they give me free gift certificates to dine at their family restaurant. It's one of the best Chinese restaurants in town.

On a related topic, about 10 years ago some lady left a voice message on my answering machine. She had the wrong number because her message was for a lady named 'Brenda'. It was details about her party that she was throwing and left her phone number.
I was nice enough to call her back to let her know that she left the message on the wrong number. Well she was glad I contacted her about the wrong number so she invited me to the party anyway. I met some really cool people there and still keep in contact with them till this day.
Bring back the Concorde

MadameConcorde

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:20 am

Considering Monaco, this is what I would do.

I would keep the whole thing intact, as I found it.
I would go to the Monaco Police headquarters and ask for help locating the owner.
Then I would contact the owner myself, arrange a meet at the police HQ and return the wallet to him (her) with everythiing inside and no further expectations.

I would probably make a new friend in town.  veryhappy 
I don't expect anything like this to happen, but one newer knows.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

DocLightning

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:49 am

B. Take all the money out and throw the wallet away?

or

And if you ever lost your wallet and someone got it back to you, would you reward that person at all?

I'd try to get in touch with the owner of the wallet and tell him how much money I found in it and arrange to return it. If I couldn't get in touch with the owner, I'd turn it into the cops.

As for the question: I once lost my keys on the NYC subway. Because the keys have a Stanford Alumni Association keychain with my member ID number on it (for just such circumstances), a lady called the Association and told them she had my keys and we arranged to meet up. I gave her a $20 gift card for Starbucks for her honesty and effort.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Force13

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:16 pm

also had £100 in it would you....

Based on the current exchange rate for British Pounds to US Dollars that cash is mine! Big grin

...untill i felt guilty as s*it 10 minutes later and returned it to the owner.
Do not taunt. Do not shake. Do not pander. Add coffee. Subject should be slightly human within an hour.

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:41 pm

Take the hole amount, you know you would.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 11):
A few years back I did find a wallet with quite a bit of money and many credit cards in it and handed this in at the nearest police station who asked me to leave my name and address should the owner wish to send me any reward.

A few weeks later I did receive a letter from the owner thanking me for returning the wallet but also requesting that I send him the $500 that was missing when he received it. So if I found one today, I would probably take all the cash and dump the wallet.

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the cop who cleaned out the wallet, the cash isn't all that important but the cards are harder to replace.

Last winter my wife found a wedding ring in a car park, she took it too the police, they took her bank account details and contact number, two weeks later we got a thank-you note along with 500 NOK.

If I lost my wallet I wouldn't care if the money went just so long as my credit cards, drivers liecense and other personal items were returned.

Birdwatching

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 8):
At work a couple of weeks ago, I found $80 in cash in the parking lot.

A couple of weeks ago I walked into a local hardware store. Right when I entered I found 30 EUR on the floor. I picked them up and before I could even think what to do, I had already given it to the cashier. How stupid of me, because I'm 100% sure the cashier has just kept it herself, and not reported it. She just took it from me and stuffed it into her pocket. Had I thought about it a minute longer, I think I would have kept the cash. For a student 30 EUR is a good amount of money.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

lincoln

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:53 pm

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 1):
I would try to contact the owner immediately. Failing that I would leave it an appropriate lost and found or police station. If you have ever lost these items, you know what a hassle it is. Ten pounds or ten dollars is not enough to compromise my values.

checkmark 

The contents of the walet are irrelevent; it's someone else's property and you have no right to it or its contents.

If there's something to identify the owner by telephone number, I would call immediately.
If there's something with an address and it's resonably close (a few blocks to a few miles depending on my mode of transportation) I would return it in person.
If neither of the above are true I'd turn it in to the nearest lost & found or police/security department.

I've done all three of the above... and aside from a thank you (and one annoyed glare) never gotten anything, but a few bucks isn't worth compromising my morals over. (I've also corrected a cashier when she tried giving me $40 in change for a $10 item I paid for with a $20... that took a few minutes of explaining)
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

RussianJet

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:49 pm

I found a wallet a couple of days ago. It went straight to the airport lost property office.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Airstud

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:51 pm

I would turn it in to the cops (or the lost & found). I found a wallet on a store shelf at the Walnut Creek Target and just handed it to the Service Desk. I would really take whatever it took to avoid meeting the actual owner because I couldn't handle it if they got all gushy. My mom found some lady's wallet & returned it to her (when I was 12 or so) and the lady ended up calling our house like every other day to keep thanking my mom. Mom was nearly thanked to death before long. I can't handle ten seconds of thanks or compliments from anyone (probably I should work on that...)

My dad found some British lady's wallet while he was on a biz trip in Toronto; he took the trouble of mailing it to her (wallets aren't easy to mail, and it's not easy to mail anything from the U.S. to another country because the increasingly-non-English-speaking postal clerks haven't heard of "strange" "exotic" lands like BRITAIN. England? THE...UK??? FAWLTY TOWERS?!?!?? (Bubkes. Nobody knows sh!t...)

Dad got a rather stodgy, mannered note from the British lady which probably aimed to convey her thanks but fell rather short of doing so. In a postscript she explained her willingness to send him a reward, if he felt that would be appropriate. CHEAP!!! You can either send proper thanks and leave the idea of a reward out of it, or you can send thanks and out-and-out OFFER a reward; you DON'T put the nice person in the weird, cheapwad position of deciding whether they should receive one or not.

So we got crazy ladies harassing Mom every 2 days, stodgy ladies sending cheapwad notes (and living in Britain; which is an inconsiderate thing to do since it's hard to send mail there).

Leave me out of this, I'd say. It can be handled by the cops, or the Target employees (who wear shorts while they're at work and when it's in the 60's outside; when I worked at Osco Drug in Acton, Mass. as a teenager, all male employees had to wear khakis, long-sleeve shirts, and ties tightened to the neck; and it didn't matter if it was 112 out with 70% humidity).

We were talking about wallets and now I'm mad at postal clerks and shorts-wearers.

Nice going.

[Edited 2009-10-23 12:08:19]
Pancakes are delicious.

Baexecutive
Topic Author

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 16):

LMAO yeh take the dosh and run like F**k ;P

fraspotter

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:45 pm

Wow! Now if only the entirety of society would show the same common sense and trustworthiness as the people here on a.net... The same thing happened in 1976 to my uncle but he wasn't as fortunate as many of you who have written about your property being returned in one piece...

He was walking through a park in Houston with my aunt and their dog. Later he would be heading over to the University of Houston campus to pay in person the tuition and other fees/expenses for my cousin's schooling. He would always pay in cash, so his wallet had over $1000 in it. However somehow while at the park he lost his wallet. It was returned via mail about a week later with the cash missing... It was still too late for my cousin. He ended up having to drop that entire semester. It took my uncle a long time to gather up that kind of money. So hopefully what everybody is saying in the above comments is true and not just saying what we want to hear because the truth is (especially if a wallet includes large sums of cash) the cash is most likely intended for an extremely important cause (funeral, wedding, life savings, tuition, rent, etc) and taking it would cause unnecessary hardship and stress on the people effected...
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

bwest

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:00 pm

*sigh* I'm still waiting for a good soul to return my lost wallet to me... it's been 4 months now...
I love my Airport Job! :)

Airstud

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 22):
the cash is most likely intended for an extremely important cause (funeral, wedding, life savings, tuition, rent, etc)

I don't agree with that; maybe it was so in 1976 but not in this digital age.

Today if there's "large sums of cash" in a person's wallet, I'd be suspicious of that person. (Smuggling, fencing, laundering, drugs, NOT giving their cash to me as a present -- ALL. FELONIES.)
Pancakes are delicious.

OA260

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Hand the wallet into the nearest police station?

Yes of course .

would you reward that person at all?

Yes I would give them €50 so they could get themselves a nice meal or few bottles of Wine etc...

RussianJet

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:02 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 25):
Yes I would give them €50 so they could get themselves a nice meal or few bottles of Wine etc...

Phil, I've found your wallet - *here you go*.  smile 

Now, give me my cash!

StarAC17

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:41 am

Every time I have lost one I got it back at some point. I also lost my passport in Byron Bay, Australia in February (on my birthday  banghead  Wink and was suggested to call the Byron Bay police and sure enough they had it and I got it back a week later  Smile.

Thank you Aussies!!!
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

mirrodie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:22 am

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 1):
Ten pounds or ten dollars is not enough to compromise my values.

How about $10,000? What if it were more?

Quoting JM017 (Reply 5):
Years ago, someone showed me that courtesy. They returned the wallet and all its contents to me by mail. I would do the same. And I wouldn't take a penny.

Same here. My phone and wallet went missing for 20 minutes. The couple that found it called my wife's cell (as it was the last number called I suppose). They would not accept a reward but we were gracious.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 11):

Wow, that is incredulous. BUt don't let such a foolish person sour you.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

jcs17

Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:53 am

I'd like to say I'd grab the money and drop the wallet, but my conscience would never let me do it. I'd feel absolutely horrible about it, and although I don't believe in karma, I think something bad would happen to me if I did.

[Edited 2009-10-23 20:58:00 by JCS17]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

4holer

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:18 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
I can recall a time when I found a purse on a bench at a bus stop. (This was pre 9/11). The purse had important immigration documents and it belonged to an older lady from The Philippines. Her phone/address book was also in the purse I contacted a local relative with the same last name. It was her daughter & law and I explained the situation and gave her my phone number.
The owner was so grateful when I met her to give her purse back to her. She was actually crying. She had gone hysterical because her immigration papers were in that purse.
She insisted on giving me money but I decline because I know she didn't have a lot.

I found a cellphone on the sidewalk next to my house. I called the most recent number to let them know that I had found their contacts phone on the street. It was actually my next door neighbor's phone. I had just moved on to the street like a month before and for the past 6 years I've lived on this street, they think the world of me. Often times they give me free gift certificates to dine at their family restaurant. It's one of the best Chinese restaurants in town.

On a related topic, about 10 years ago some lady left a voice message on my answering machine. She had the wrong number because her message was for a lady named 'Brenda'. It was details about her party that she was throwing and left her phone number.
I was nice enough to call her back to let her know that she left the message on the wrong number. Well she was glad I contacted her about the wrong number so she invited me to the party anyway. I met some really cool people there and still keep in contact with them till this day.

What is it about Superfly?
Three stories about finding wallets and they all start with a certain "Penthouse Forum" vibe.
You can practically hear the 70s porn music...
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

HAWK21M

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:15 am

Try contacting the owner & return it personally.
If not possible.Hand it over to the local Police station with a written proof of the same.

Amazing story out here about pickpocketers.....most of them return the walletwith docs like licences/papers etc to the owner by post,but keep the cash.Honesty in dishonest business  Smile

regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ManuCH
Crew

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:21 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
I found a cellphone on the sidewalk next to my house. I called the most recent number to let them know that I had found their contacts phone on the street

That's the exact same thing that happened to me - only it wasn't next to my house. I was on vacation in the mountains and found the cellphone on the sidewalk half covered in snow. I called the most recent number, who happened to be the owner's daughter. I told her that I'd deposit the phone at the nearby tourist office, where they eventually picked it up a few days later (they weren't in the same town at the moment).

I'd try to contact the owner to return it (cash included). Failing to do so, I'd drop it at the nearest police station. If someone wanted to give me a reward, I'd accept it, but I wouldn't ask for it.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

rabenschlag

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:05 pm

I am amazed by the degree of selflessness/altruism expressed in this thread! What motivates you all to behave like this?

RussianJet

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Quoting Rabenschlag (Reply 33):
I am amazed by the degree of selflessness/altruism expressed in this thread! What motivates you all to behave like this?

What a strange question. Perhaps because it's the right thing to do and stealing is totally wrong?

ClassicLover

Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:11 pm

I'd like to say I'd take the money and run too, but I probably wouldn't. A guy stuffed up an ATM transaction in front of me once, and then he walked into the bank. As I walk up to the machine, out pops a wad of cash, about $500. I had no money apart from my last $20 in the bank, so to say I was tempted to grab it and walk away is an understatement. I gave it some hard thought, grabbed the money and went into the bank, where I met the guy just coming out. I gave it to him, he said thanks and that was it.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

OA260

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 26):
Phil, I've found your wallet - *here you go*.  

Ive lost many things in my life but my wallet is still here  Wink  Big grin

Braybuddy

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 28):

I'm reminded of an old quote by George Bernard Shaw: when talking to a woman at a party, he asked her if she would sleep with a man for a thousand pounds. "I´d have to think about it", she replied. He then asked her if she´d sleep with a man for ten shillings (around 50 cent). "Certainly not!", she indignantly replied, "what do you take me for?". "We´ve already established that madam", he retorted, "I´m just trying to find the price".

Elite

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Return it as soon as possible. After feeling the rush of gratitude that I had when my wallet was returned, I will always try to do the same.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:12 pm

If You Found A Wallet...

About a year and a half ago, I found a credit card on the ground. I called the 1-800 number on the back of the card to say "I found the credit card belonging to _________ at this location." The company then canceled the card and contacted the credit card's owner to let them know.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 11):

Now the questions are:
A) Did you take the missing $500 before turning it in? (I'm not accusing you of it - just wondering.)
B) Did you send the owner of the wallet $500?
And obviously the owner couldn't prove it was you who did take the "missing" $500.

Many years ago I lost my bag at Six Flags which contained my wallet and my sunglasses. Someone found it, took $10 out of my wallet (I had about $15 in there to begin with) and they also took my sunglasses, which were prescription. We went to the park Lost & Found who found my bag in a garbage can.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

signol

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:42 pm

A few years ago I used to work in a nightclub, and loads of stuff would be left behind, in corners, on the floor by the bar, etc. I've found a wallet and two mobile phones, all of which I handed to reception (whether they ever made it back to their owners, I don't know. I know of at least one colleague who used to sell found mobile phones in another pub). I also found cash, most was £50 (2x £20 and 1x £10 rolled up). There's no way to trace the owner, so it was pocketed...

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

tootallsd

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 28):
Ten pounds or ten dollars is not enough to compromise my values.

Well since the first line is my posting and you asked, I'll answer.

1> Returning $10,000 would be a bit harder but
2> You would be hardI pressed to put $10K in a wallet
3> In the end values scale they aren't outmoded.

ltbewr

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:41 pm

Wallet with money or not on a public street, I would try (and have done so) to contact the individual directly from info in the wallet and if not able to do so, turn it in to the police. Any money stays in it. If it was in a store, then I would give it to customer service and give them my info if they requested it. I would have no expectation of a reward. Just some cash up to $100 in the streets I might keep it, probably above that amount or if a check or douments or a cash emptied I would go to the police.
Earlier this year, I left my wallet at a supermakert check out, after I got home about 10 minutes later, realizing I didn't have it, I went back a few minutes later to the customer service counter who directed me to the store's security guards office. I appreciated the wallet being returned but I gave no reward (but I still go to that store at least 3-4 times a month for my weekly shopping). Many years ago, I was outside of a grocery store and saw a zipper bag for use by business people for taking money to the bank or for personal papers. I opened it up and it had $200-300 in cash, ownership titles to vehicles and important business documents. I looked the name in the phone book from the info on the documents, contacted them and they had me bring them the documents to him and he gave me a $20 reward. Honesty can pay perhaps in a karma way in return.

Rara

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:01 pm

Quoting FlybaurLAX (Reply 2):
I would take the wallet back as I found it, and refuse any reward if offered. I have found a wallet once, and turned it in to the local police station. We got a call from the station to let us know that the owner picked it up and was very thankful. I would like for someone to do the same for me if I ever lost mine. I would offer a reward, but would regard the person very highly if they refused it.

Hm. I'd do that quite differently. For some reason, the number 20 is on my mind. If someone returned my wallet, I'd offer a reward of 20% of the cash value in it, and certainly hope the person would accept it. If I found a wallet, I'd accept a reward of up to 20% if offered - and I'd be a bit miffed if it wasn't offered.

With all the plastic nowadays, finding and returning a wallet really is a win-win situation and should be treated as such.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

iairallie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:12 pm

Turn it in intact or try to track down the person. No brainer. No reward necessary and no I wouldn't reward the person who turned mine in financially except to reimburse expenses they used to get it back to me. I would thank them profusely though.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

iairallie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:36 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 34):
What a strange question. Perhaps because it's the right thing to do and stealing is totally wrong?

Precisely. And many of us have been the poor sap whose lost the wallet so we can empathize.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 11):

I wonder who did take it. It is silly of the owner to assume the person who returned it was the thief after all pickpockets often take the money and valuables and toss the rest. The person who returned it could have found it in the state in which they returned it.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 10):
While there was nothing of any great value in that wallet, there's a lot of hassle involved in replacing lost cards, and I was thinking more of this than the actual small monetary value involved.

Exactly. I had my handbag stolen in Ireland my flight was leaving in a few hours so everything was in it. They got maybe $10-$20 in assorted currencies and a cheap $100 digital camera. Nothing else of value in there. I cancelled the credit cards and reported the missing passport and identification immediately to the police. It created a nightmare for me and cost me around $700 to replace everything. The green card alone cost about $350. Not to mention the time involved. The money and camera meant nothing to me the photos on the camera and the time money and stress involved in replacing the documents are irreplacable.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

TheCol

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:31 am

Or contact the owner.

I'd treat him/her to Starbucks or something.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

rabenschlag

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Quoting Iairallie (Reply 45):

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 34):

Precisely. And many of us have been the poor sap whose lost the wallet so we can empathize.

Well, unless you assume that there is a god who will judge you, returning the wallet is a terrible irrational thing to do.

But since you all seem to be so increadibly benevolent:

Which percentage of your income goes to relief organizations to save the lifes of all those children who are dying from diseases or hunger every day in third world countries?

I guess, when looking at the bigger picture, those who were born in the first world somehow found a wallet, and those who were born in a third world country did not. If you are inclined to think that it is immoral to be selfish and keep the wallet - how on earth could you think that it is ok to be selfish enough to eat steak instead of pasta as long as thousands of children are dying from hunger every day?

Lots of hypocrisy around - just my 2 cent.

ronglimeng

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:46 am

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 29):
I'd like to say I'd grab the money and drop the wallet, but my conscience would never let me do it. I'd feel absolutely horrible about it, and although I don't believe in karma, I think something bad would happen to me if I did.

My feelings on finding a lost wallet would be similar to Jcs17's. I know right from wrong and what the correct thing to do would be, but just in case I'm tempted, I'd have a superstition that the lost wallet is some kind of a test, and if I don't do the right thing, I'd be in for trouble ahead.

I wouldn't accept a reward for returning a wallet

acho

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:56 am

I just lost my wallet last weekend in a nightclub; no body has called me or anything. I'm pretty sure it was the waiter or his bus boy that took the wallet of the table as I was drunk. Lucky for me I didn't have any cash in it, but I lost my credit cards and my IDs; I'll have to get those back.

I hate this culture that is very present in Mexico where everyone is just looking for ways to take things from others. It is very common for girl's pursues to disappear in this nightclub and it is supposed to be the high class elite club of the city. I just wish Mexicans had the culture that most of the world seems to have in which people respect other people and don't try to look for ways to f*** them over.

This culture sadly is present in a lot of Mexicans, but defiantly not all. I friend also lost his wallet about a year ago, and a construction worker figured out a way to call him so he could get his wallet back, gave it back to him with all of his money and didn't accept any kind of reward. Sadly this is a strange case.