Phoenix9
Topic Author

Is This Sick Or What?

Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:58 am

Just saw this over at Gizmodo.

http://i.imgur.com/cKc4n.gif

Thoughts?
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

jcs17

RE: Is This Sick Or What?

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:07 am

Why not?

A lot of amputees are very comfortable with their bodies and some are surprisingly willing to joke around like the ad above. You'd be very, very surprised.

Not every disabled person needs some internet nanny to protect them from their disability... and many are willing to use it in a sort of comedy.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Phoenix9
Topic Author

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:11 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 1):

Not every disabled person needs some internet nanny to protect them from their disability... and many are willing to use it in a sort of comedy.

It is not a disable person who made that ad. It is an able bodied person who wants someone without arms and legs just so that he can make up some halloween costume. That is something I have a problem with.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

ArmitageShanks

Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:39 am

I think that's pretty funny.

ual757

Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:40 am

I should be ashamed...I laughed when I read this.

vikkyvik

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:02 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 2):

It is not a disable person who made that ad. It is an able bodied person who wants someone without arms and legs just so that he can make up some halloween costume.

So what?

While I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable posting an ad like that, if some double-amputee decides to respond and go for it, good for him.

Personally, I think I'd have more of a problem carrying around someone I've never met before on my back for the whole night. Could be rather awkward.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

TheRedBaron

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:09 am

One thing is sure...if this guy pulls it off (no pun intended), we will be the "costume" of several parties.
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

KevinL1011

Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:12 am

It is an able bodied person who wants someone without arms and legs just so that he can make up some halloween costume. That is something I have a problem with.

I feel the same way but what if the person placing the ad was disfigured in some way as well? Would it then be OK?

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 5):
Personally, I think I'd have more of a problem carrying around someone I've never met before on my back for the whole night. Could be rather awkward.

And what if they had poor personal hygiene ....woof!

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 5):
if some double-amputee decides to respond and go for it, good for him.

I know a guy named Art who might be up to it.  duck 
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

sudden

Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:38 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Thread starter):
Is This Sick Or What?

I don't see why this would be.
The ad is by no means offensive, and the person is seeking a person who can help him out for halloween. If that person might miss legs and arms has nothing to do with it, but we who are "normal" are very fast with judging, and therefore we think that disabled people would be harmed by this ad.
"We" actually have more issues with this ad then the disabled people who is reading it.

I find the idea pretty cool, and I wish him good luck.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

Continental

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:39 am

I think this person was writing this in hopes of being placed on the "Best Of" list.

TUNisia

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:26 am

Strange...

Reminds me of a CL ad I read around Christmas time last year that was seeking someone to come down their chimney and surprise their children on Christmas Eve and give them presents and then go back up the chimney.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

alfa75

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:17 am

I think the ad is funny and would be a great costume.

wants someone without arms and legs

Quoting Sudden (Reply 8):
might miss legs and arms

BTW. C3PO had his arms.
The best things in life aren't things!

flanker

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:00 am

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

skysurfer

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:07 pm

If i was a double amputee i'd jump at the chance (pardon the pun)!! I'd demand free drinks, a 'handling' fee (pun #2) and first kick (groan) at any girls that were interested  Wink

Alas, i'll just be handing out candies etc on 31st Oct wondering why no1 in N.America seems to dress as witches/devils/werewolves etc anymore!

Cheers

Stu
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

allrite

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:19 am

What if it was a double amputee who wanted to dress up like C-3PO and was trying to find a Chewbacca to carry him around on the night?

Quoting Skysurfer (Reply 13):
I'd demand free drinks

He/she would already be legless...  duck 
I like artificial banana essence!

wcs

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:39 am

Quoting Phoenix9 (Thread starter):
Thoughts?

I found that somewhat disgusting and very selfish. The poster himself realises that by rating the request ''strange and really offensive''. He basically needs the disabled guy for a cuple hours just to create the buzz around himself.

I don't like that.

WCS
FLY SKYTEAM JETS

lapper

Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:03 am

Does everyone have a problem reading here? It doesn't mention anywhere about the "C3PO" having to have no arms, only legs amputated. IMHO if there is a person who has lost their legs who is willing to participate, then good luck to them, I think it's a great idea. Political correctness is going crazy in this world. If someone doesn't want to do it, they don't have to. And who knows, the person may be grateful for the opportunity to get dressed up and it could for a new friendship for both.  twocents