a1ring23

The Official IPhone Thread

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:13 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to get your opinions, thoughts and ideas about the iPhone.

i.e.

- Which model do you have?
- How long have you had it for?
- What do you like most about it?
- What do you hate most about it?
- Which apps do you like/use most often?
- Which carrier are you on?
- What changes would you like to be made in the next iPhone?

+ anything else iPhone related that you would like to talk about.

Let the discussion begin!

[Edited 2009-10-25 03:13:02 by a1ring23]
Where's the accelerometer on this thing?

cpd

RE: The Official IPhone Thread

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:49 am

iPhone 3G

Last year

Just about everything

Modest battery life, and the horrible, painful to use earphones. Bose QC3 expensive, but much superior.

OzWeather, TripView, Calculator, Calendar (sync to MS Exchange), Safari, Mail, iPod

Optus 3G

More battery life, much better headphones.

The iPhone standard headphones are terrible, extremely uncomfortable for me. I already had Bose Quiet Comfort 3 headphones from my old iPod video 5G, so I just purchased the Bose Mobile Communication Kit to add to the headphones.

At the moment, the iPhone is my only email option, with my normal computer down and out at the moment. So what I suspected, the iPhone email client is good - very good at managing large amounts of email. Very impressed with that.

Apart from that, I use the iPod part of the iPhone very heavily. That's the most used application on my iPhone, with mail being second, calendar 3rd and Safari 4th.

[Edited 2009-10-25 03:28:44 by cpd]

a1ring23

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:19 am

Sorry I should have answered these q's myself in the first post.

3GS 32GB

1.5 months

Like Cpd said, almost everything. During the day, camera is very very good (for a mobile phone). 3G coverage (if available) is very fast. The app store is awesome. Oh and voice control is pretty cool.

Battery life, reception is quite average.

Ping, iiQuota, Flight Control, Geo Defense, Weather, Colour Splash, Real Racing, Air Tycoon (awesome game - highly recommended)

Virgin

Better battery life, greater memory capacity (ie 60 or 120GB), better reception, open-bluetooth sharing for photos etc.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 1):
The iPhone standard headphones are terrible, extremely uncomfortable for me. I already had Bose Quiet Comfort 3 headphones from my old iPod video 5G, so I just purchased the Bose Mobile Communication Kit to add to the headphones.

I find the new 3GS headphones are generally pretty good. Using the microphone to call is also quite clear I find.

ManuCH
Crew

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:26 am

iPhone 3GS (for private use) and iPhone 3G (for my company phone number), both 16 GB (I'm not an iPod user so I don't really fill the space)

Since release day (both models), IIRC July 08 and June 09

The interface; the usability; the intuitive touch-screen control; the browser that allows you to really surf the Internet; the Mail app; the Push notification service

The touch-screen keyboard when I need to type a long email; the lack of an LED flash; inability to change the SMS ringtone without jailbreaking

Safari, Mail, Calendar, Todo, DropBox, AeroWeather, Tweetie, Facebook, BeejiveIM, CNN, TagesAnzeiger

Swisscom

An optional physical keyboard (but it will never happen); an LED flash; better headphones; customizable SMS ringtone; ability to have a generic local file store that apps can use (for example to download any kind of attachment from Mail or Safari, then use it from DropBox, or vice-versa).

What else can I say? My "digital life on the road" has definitely changed since I've got an iPhone. No previous phone has ever allowed me to do all these things so easily. I have to admit, though, that today's Android phones get very close to what the iPhone has to offer, and competition is always a good thing. It will only get better from now on!

[Edited 2009-10-25 03:27:29]
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Klaus

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:48 am

Quoting A1ring23 (Thread starter):

iPhone 3GS (32GB), black.

About three months, with an iPod Touch (2G) for about a year before that.

(Interesting detail: My iPod Touch backup synched to the new iPhone right away with all the settings - nice!)

- It's an excellent music player.
- It's an actually usable and pleasant internet terminal and PIM on the road.
- It has a bunch of practical capabilities built in as well (camera, GPS etc.).
- With the App Store it is quite versatile.

The included headphones are utterly useles for me. Fortunately they can be replaced with decent ones easily enough.

iPod (music), iCab mobile (alternate browser), Maps (with GPS), Camera

T-Mobile Germany

- Scrap the included headphones and provide just the remote control + microphone for use with proper headphones to cut down on waste and to get rid of the myth that iPods and iPhones had "bad sound quality" – it's actually the atrocious earphones being sub-par, not the device itself.

- A textured backside would be nice.

cpd

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:04 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 4):
it's actually the atrocious earphones being sub-par, not the device itself.

As soon as you forget your battery charger and spare battery for the Bose QC3 at work, go on a months leave, and have to use the standard earphones - you realise just how appalling they really are.

With the QC3, the noise canceling is so good, and the sound quality so superb. Really immerses you in the music.  Smile

Klaus

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:13 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 5):
As soon as you forget your battery charger and spare battery for the Bose QC3 at work, go on a months leave, and have to use the standard earphones - you realise just how appalling they really are.

Well, that is exactly the reason why I'll never voluntarily use wireless headphones...!
(That and the weight of the additional batteries.)

Quoting Cpd (Reply 5):
With the QC3, the noise canceling is so good, and the sound quality so superb. Really immerses you in the music.

I prefer open on-ear headphones – they just add the music to the normal environment. I don't want to be isolated from my surroundings, but that will of course depend on what your environment actually is...

Zkpilot

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:16 am

Anyone have any opinions on where to get the best purchase price for one? 3GS 32GB that is.
Down here in NZL and OZ they are over a grand in local $$ (about US$900). Are all the iPhones from Apple in the US locked to AT&T or are they unlocked but Apple only sells them to you with an AT&T contract? (which BTW there is a way around if you read the fine print on the Apple iPhone page... you can buy one without contract if purchasing as a gift).
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

Birdwatching

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:36 am

Not an iPhone, but I have the iPod touch 16GB. I've been using it for almost a year now and I have to admit, it has changed my life. For the better.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

ManuCH
Crew

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:44 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 7):
Are all the iPhones from Apple in the US locked to AT&T

Yes.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 7):
Anyone have any opinions on where to get the best purchase price for one?

All the officially unlocked ones will be expensive, as the carrier won't know if you'll generate any revenue with the iPhone you just bought, because you're free to switch to another carrier.

You need to find a local carrier that sells them for subsidizes prices with a contract. Don't speculate by getting a locked one from abroad, as the unlocks are major hacks and you never know if they will work in the future. And you'd have to ship it to the country where you bought it if you want to claim warranty in case of a defect.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

MIAspotter

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:58 am

3G 8GB

Since September 09

Everything! Mail, Ease of use, Apps, iPod, Maps.

Battery life.

Facebook, Mail, JetSet (funny game).

Orange Spain (yep it's a Jailbroken one)

- What changes would you like to be made in the next iPhone?[/quote]
More battery life.

It is tryly an amazing little thing this, very handy if you are out and about and need to find out something, you just go on the internet and BAM!

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

vhqpa

Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:34 pm

Which model do you have?

16GB 3G White

How long have you had it for?

Since August 2009

What do you like most about it?

Variety of apps, itunes/app store, mail client, decent camera and eliminating the need to carry a phone and a mp3 player

What do you hate most about it?

Dodgy stock earphones I use my Sony noise cancelling headphones for music but no longer have a heads free device (never use it anyway), inability to send MMS messages on the initial software (fixed in a update)

Which apps do you like/use most often?

iPod, Notes, Weather, Safari, Mail, Facebook, Netbank, FlightTrack, Kakuro

Which carrier are you on?

Optus

What changes would you like to be made in the next iPhone

Perhaps a small pen for use with the keyboard so I don't have to tilt my phone to the side all the time to type

Vhq.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

mt99

Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:59 pm

White 16GB GS

Since the day it came out

Easy to use.. great browsing

Kinda slippery

kayak, flixters

ATT (piece of crap)

anything else iPhone related that you would like to talk about.
great phone, awfull carrier... The genius bars at the apple store are getting very very crowded..they are sold out of spots most of the time. I need to get my iphone replaced because one of the speakers on the bottom is not working.
Step into my office, baby

aznmadsci

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:09 pm

White 3G 16Gb

About a year now and love it!

It has consolidated the need of having a bulky mobile phone and an iPod into one handy device! It helps to pass the time playing games or checking out the latest posts on a.net while commuting on bus/train. On airplane mode, I can easily go from listening to music to watching full-length features as well as personally downloaded YouTube vids like the different airline safety videos!

Also, since IAH is one of the first markets to have this feature, the paperless boarding pass with CO. I know most smartphone have this feature, but get a kick out of it when people see me just show my iPhone to the TSA agent and then hear people say "he can do that on his iPhone? Wow!" Now is CO had consolidated the whole process into their own app!

The inability to zoom or taking movies on the camera on the 3G. The copy/paste function tends to have a mind on its own where it's easy to use on one app, but a bit harder to use on Safari. When typing, wish the numbers were in number keypad form rather than keyboard form. Wish they had the 32Gb on when the 3G came out and had a 64Gb when the 3GS came out. I usually max out the space on mine.

Flash The Brain, Uno, Bejeweled, Monopoly, Boggle, Shazam, Chase Bank, Starbucks Mobile Card, Airline Conquest (international and USA), Airport Mania, Grindr, CardStar, Facebook, Photobucket, Postman, ShakeItPhoto, Convert, Black & White Photo, and many others!

AT&T. It's not bad, but anything is better than Sprint!

Better battery life.

[Edited 2009-10-25 09:15:13]
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

Ken777

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 1):
Modest battery life,

Short note on extending battery life - if you're out of range turn WiFi off and go with phone only. The iPhone will search for a WiFi spot frequently, burning up juice.

I've had the 3G for just over a year and love it.

THe best part of the iPhone is the versatility of the system. It can be brought up to speed for so many different needs, from games to medical.

Nothing I hate about mine i I just wish I had the faster 3GS.

On the medical side I use Glucose Buddy as well as I.C.E. and Bento (for the Rx list).

Traveling it's Maps. Keeping the grandkids happy when waiting for food when eating out it's short movies or TV shows. (And Princess Lullaby when trying to relax them at bed time.)

I'm using ATT, but no choice there.

As for the next one, more speed, more resolution on the camera and longer battery life.

2H4

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:00 pm

3GS 16GB

About 3-4 months. Previously, I used a first-gen iPhone that I acquired right after it was released.

Just about everything

AT&T. The lack of coverage, the poor sound quality, the dropped calls...just a poor network all around.

Also, I'm having a reception issue right now. Since the 1st gen iPhone came out, I've used one and have consistently had about 1-2 bars of coverage at my place.

Well, since Sept 27th, I've had no service at home. No bars at all. At first, other iPhones had the same problem at my place, so I assumed it wasn't my phone.

I contacted a local sales rep for my area, and he has been extraordinarily helpful. He put me in contact with a local field engineer, who made some adjustments to the network and even replaced some tower hardware in an effort to help me out. Throughout it all, they've been very friendly and have returned calls/emails very promptly.

Unfortunately, none of their efforts have made a difference. Then, this weekend, a friend tried her iPhone at my place, and she got bars, while I didn't. So it appears to be an issue with the phone, after all.

So I got a replacement sim card (for free) this afternoon which might fix it. The friendly technician at the Apple Store told me that if the new sim card doesn't do the trick, I could have a brand-new replacement iPhone for free, under warranty.

So anyway, although I...and no iPhone user I know...have ever been impressed with AT&T's network, I actually am very impressed with their customer service throughout my ordeal.

Pandora
Facebook
USA Today
NY Times
Shazam
Ghostly Discovery (GET THIS ONE)

AT&T

First and foremost, I'd like for it to be opened up to any wireless carrier. I'd like it to feel more durable...I worry about the glass screen and envy people who can just toss their phones onto a coffee table from 3 feet away. I'd like longer battery life...I get by just fine with the current battery, but still, I'd like some more life. It should definitely come with an upright dock like the 1st-gen did...no excuse for omitting this with the 3G/3GS.

By and large, though, the device's strengths easily outweigh any downsides I've been able to find.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

OA260

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:05 pm

The Samsung H1 is going to go head to head with the Iphone 3GS .

JAGflyer

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:45 pm

Which model do you have?
iPod Touch 32GB 2nd Generation
3 Weeks
-The ability to view and set-up appointments with the calender
-The 802.11g/b wifi
-Being able to listen to music while doing other things on the iPod

-The fact that the iPod doesn't support Windows Vista's "Microsoft Calendar" program to sync to the iPod. Obviously the lack of free (or unprotected) wifi everywhere since I don't have the iPhone
-Flight Control   
-Calendar
-Safari
-Mail
-iPod
-Darts
-Flight Tracker(s)
-Yellowpages.ca

N/A
-Built in FM Transmitter (supposedly unactivated on the 3rd gen models)
-Built in Microphone (for use with Shazaam and Skype

My first Ipod was a 15GB 3rd gen, followed by a 5th gen 30GB video. I decided to upgrade since I wanted something I could use as a PDA (calendar) plus for mobile web surfing/email.

[Edited 2009-10-25 16:48:51]
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

EMBQA

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:02 am

There has been some talk in the US that once the Apple - AT&T deal expires next year, Verizon is in the works of getting one too...
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Klaus

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:29 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 18):
There has been some talk in the US that once the Apple - AT&T deal expires next year, Verizon is in the works of getting one too...

I would doubt that very much. Dealing with incompatible versions of the same device in the same market is probably way down on the list of things Apple would voluntarily do, especially since that would be a version that's US-only.

For the chinese market a separate version might be feasible for strategic reasons, but why make such a commitment to a network protocol that's a niche even now and which has no future whatsoever when they can simply back the worldwide standards and let the market sort out the rest?

OA260

Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:28 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 18):

O2 had the monopoly in the UK and Ireland but now from early next year Vodafone will offer it also.

cpd

Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:21 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 14):
Short note on extending battery life - if you're out of range turn WiFi off and go with phone only.

WIFI always off for me. And another tip - if you are really low on battery life, turn the screen brightness right down and switch on airplane mode.

a1ring23

Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:10 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 21):
WIFI always off for me. And another tip - if you are really low on battery life, turn the screen brightness right down and switch on airplane mode.

Yep, i pretty much never use wi-fi. If i'm at home or uni, i use a laptop/desktop. Only use the internet on my iPhone whilst on the go, checking emails etc etc

I can get a bit over 2 days on 25% brightness with 3G turned off unless I'm browsing internet.

FlyKev
Crew

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:15 pm

I got my iPhone back in February, and its been one of the most useful purchases going:

16GB 3G
Since February
The ease of access to everything and how much quicker it is to use
2.0mp non autofocus camera, no zoom, no video recording
National Rail, Maps, Sportacular, Sports Tap, Facebook, Flixster and Worms
o2
Bigger screen, slimmer model, better camera (though the 3GS has a good camera)
-Stupidest app I own:
iPartridge (one touch access to an Alan Partridge soundboard)
-Case I own:
iFrogz Luxe (green) Certainly noticeable (http://img.mygearstore.com/images/products/13516-3.jpg)

Its a great phone, and I have good coverage from o2 where I live. Couldn't imagine not having it now.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

IFlyTWA

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:31 pm

iPhone 1.0 8GB

Two years

Internet

Can be slow at times, but that has probably been improved on the 3G and 3GS

Too many to list

AT&T

More battery life, more space, and lighter weight.

[Edited 2009-10-26 14:32:51]
"To express the excitement of travel" - Eero Saarinen

N1120A

Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:58 am

I doubt you will see the iPhone on VZW or Sprint, since that would require developing a cdma version. T-Mobile USA is almost certain to get it however.

Then again, I am currently using a far superior T-Mobile phone, the brand new Motorola Cliq/Dext MB220. Absolutely love it and it has a great slide out keyboard.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

2H4

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 25):
I am currently using a far superior T-Mobile phone

Far superior....for you.  Wink

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

N1120A

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 26):

Given that you have likely not used it yet, whereas I have used the iPhone extensively in my search for a new phone, I think I can comment on which one is superior.

I just wonder how ATT is going to compete on plans now that Sprint has brought their unlimited to all mobiles and T-Mobile responded with unlimited everything. Will Apple give them a break on the data plans?

DCrawley

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:14 pm

3G 16GB

1 year

The total iPhone experience is very good. The iPhone provides users of all tech knowledge levels to use and create a unique, simple interface to deal with a well built device. I think the iPhone offers the best mobile browsing experience on the market by far. Safari has, and continues to be, a real pleasure to use.

I hate that it's only on AT&T. I dropped more calls this year than the last 10 years of service combined with other carriers. Other than that, I cannot say I truly hate anything about it. Here is a list of things that I dislike about my iPhone:

1) It is shocking that Apple hasn't made it so that you can run multiple apps at the same time. I don't like having to close an app to momentarily look something up in Safari.

2) Ever since OS 3.0 was installed on my iPhone, it has had some very noticeable performance decreases. I now experience lag whenever I open anything, especially text messages. Everything just seemed to slow down.

3) The speaker phone is much too quiet.

4) I would like the Microsoft Office for the iPhone. While I wouldn't do any major document changes on my iPhone, it would be nice to edit papers and spreadsheets on the go.

5) As mentioned in previous posts, the lack of any flash (nonetheless LED) for using the camera in low-light situations essentially renders the camera useless.

6) Battery life on my iPhone is mediocre.

I use Mail and Safari the most, but enjoy apps like Facebook, Amazon, and Dictionary.

AT&T  frown 

I would like to see a high resolution camera with dual LED flash, the Snapdragon platform, removeable battery with increased performance, and the ability to run multiple apps at the same time.

+ anything else iPhone related that you would like to talk about.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 27):
Given that you have likely not used it yet, whereas I have used the iPhone extensively in my search for a new phone, I think I can comment on which one is superior.

Well, it's not superior for me. I'm happy to hear that it fits your needs, but please step off of your high horse and bring some facts and opinion into your discussion besides your extensive use of an iPhone. I am not an Apple fanboy and am just looking for comparative dialog, like:

What makes the CLIQ so much better for you?
Which needs of yours does it fulfill where an iPhone doesn't?
What other devices did you compare in your search for a new smartphone?
What is your opinion of MOTOBLUR?
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

2H4

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Quoting Dcrawley (Reply 28):
Well, it's not superior for me. I'm happy to hear that it fits your needs, but please step off of your high horse and bring some facts and opinion into your discussion besides your extensive use of an iPhone. I am not an Apple fanboy and am just looking for comparative dialog

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark   yes 

Very well said, sir. I have absolutely no problem with statements like "Testing has shown that smartphone A has longer battery life than smartphone B", but it's silly to make all-encompassing statements like N1120A did. After all, everyone values differ, and a phone that's inferior in many areas but superior in another may well prove to be the smarter decision for someone who places a greater value on the latter.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

N1120A

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:31 pm

but please step off of your high horse and bring some facts and opinion into your discussion besides your extensive use of an iPhone.

Not on a high horse. That would be the people who wax rhapsodic about the iPhone when it has such glaring flaws.

Better plans (especially now)
Better Customer Service
Open Source Andriod Platform
Ease of use, especially the slide out keyboard
Push Gmail
Self-Change Battery
Quick unlocking without jailbreaking/rooting
5 MP camera

Which needs of yours does it fulfill where an iPhone doesn't?

See all of the above

What other devices did you compare in your search for a new smartphone?

BlackBerrys of various ilk
myTouch/HTC Magic
HTC TouchPro 2
G1
iPhone

What is your opinion of MOTOBLUR?

I like it. Doesn't dominate the phone nearly as much as I thought it might, but is very useful for its purpose.

Klaus

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:50 pm

I would like to see a high resolution camera with dual LED flash, the Snapdragon platform, removeable battery with increased performance, and the ability to run multiple apps at the same time.

The snapdragon chips wouldn't necessarily be an advantage since the Cortex-A8 in the iPhone 3GS is already on the same level, and it is likely that Apple will bake its own ARM CPU/SoC using its own recently-acquired chip design firm for future models.

As to the removable battery: I much prefer the sturdier mechanics and the larger capacity over a removable one.

Running multiple Apps at the same time is a double-edged sword: Both power and memory (RAM) are severely limited on a smartphone of the current generation. Especially the latter will remain the bottleneck. Maybe with the next chip generation or the generation after that it could become feasible to run multiple Apps with the relatively heavy footprint of iPhone Apps concurrently; But at this time I can see why they're restricting multitasking only to a few in-house Apps (iPod, Safari, Mail, Phone Apps).

Klaus

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):

Better Customer Service
Ease of use, especially the slide out keyboard
Push Gmail
Self-Change Battery
5 MP camera

None of these points are compelling for everybody (see "high horse") and most are debatable as advantages over the iPhone.

N1120A

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:19 pm

I forgot to add better battery life

Quoting Klaus (Reply 32):

None of these points are compelling for everybody (see "high horse") and most are debatable as advantages over the iPhone.

rotfl  rotfl 

None of those are debatable as advantages for the iPhone.

Klaus

Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:10 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
None of those are debatable as advantages for the iPhone.

Actually, you're mistaken about that.

That depends on which country you're in and what your needs are. You generally don't get a better deal elsewhere when you're using your phone the way most people use their iPhones.

Before the iPhone, even smartphones were often heavily branded, saddled with proxy-restricted and down-converted internet access (if they actually had any) and data flat rates were next to unknown. But in order to miss these you would have had to have a smartphone that actually made internet usage bearable, which usually wasn't the case.

So do you really think the pre-iPhone plans were actually better? I can only recommend you to re-check that idea.

Better Customer Service

The massively higher customer satisfaction rates for the iPhone compared to all competitors clearly contradict that assertion:

InvestorPlace.com: Apple Soars Behind iPhone 3GS Momentum

That is actually a significant argument for the iPhone!

Ease of use,

This is definitely the domain of the iPhone as pretty much everybody attests who has any significant experience with it and the alternatives!

especially the slide out keyboard

You're joking, right?

Clumsily having to slide out a mechanical plastic-button-keyboard which only works in one orientation (and thus forcing you to rotate the device if you had been in the other orientation) and which always makes the device bulkier, heavier and more fragile just to enter a few keystrokes and then not even having localized or international keyboards available and fiddling with complicated rituals for special characters which don't happen to be printed on the tiny plastic buttons already – that is your idea of "ease of use"?

That explains a few things.  mischievous 

You should really gain a bit of experience on how the iPhone keyboard actually performs in practice. You'd be surprised.

It actually works very well, not just for effortlessly entering a few characters but also for longer texts when needed:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/keyboard.html#video

Push Gmail

Done. Gmail supports Exchange push.

Self-Change Battery

If you don't get a nervous breakdown when seeing a screwdriver, you can self-change the battery on the iPhone as well.

And the other 99.99.% of the time you don't have any of the drawbacks of creaky and unstable battery covers which love to fall off, unreliable battery contacts and all the other "fun" you have with field-swappable batteries. Extremely few people actually own more than one battery pack, and most people never change the battery before getting a new phone.

Making it easy to break the contract the device had been bought with is not something I consider a substantial advantage.

5 MP camera

You're paying for that with a bulkier device, since that number of pixels would be utterly pointless without an optical lens that actually delivers the required sharpness and enough light to make the noise level bearable.

Phone cameras usually apply de-noise filters which unfortunately produce visible artefacts and blur the image again, so the raw number of pixels is next to irrelevant to actual image quality – in many cases lower-resolution cameras produce better images than their higher-resolution siblings or successors.

It's an advantage if the device actually delivers the resoltion for real and if you really need it badly enough to compromise on size and weight.

For me the thinness of the iPhone is more important than having more pixels in my snapshots.

Many of the "advantages" you've described are much less obvious or even counterproductive in actual practice – the iPhone doesn't excel in spec sheet comparisons, it excels in actual, practical use.

You can decide which one is more important to you. I know what is for me.  bigthumbsup 

N1120A

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:18 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 34):
Clumsily having to slide out a mechanical plastic-button-keyboard which only works in one orientation (and thus forcing you to rotate the device if you had been in the other orientation) and which always makes the device bulkier, heavier and more fragile just to enter a few keystrokes and then not even having localized or international keyboards available and fiddling with complicated rituals for special characters which don't happen to be printed on the tiny plastic buttons already – that is your idea of "ease of use"?

In your Apple-centric haste, you seem to have forgotten one thing. I have an on screen keyboard as well. I don't HAVE to slide out the keyboard. Also, there is nothing fragile about this thing.

The massively higher customer satisfaction rates for the iPhone compared to all competitors clearly contradict that assertion:

You seem to have missed my point, and distorted things anyway. I was talking about the customer service by the carrier. Both in store and on the phone. T-Mobile wins hands down. This has consistently been true.

That is actually a significant argument for the iPhone!

No it isn't. In what world, other than Klaus' fantasy all Apple world, could that possibly be an argument for the iPhone?

This is definitely the domain of the iPhone as pretty much everybody attests who has any significant experience with it and the alternatives!

You pretend like I don't have said experience.

Making it easy to break the contract the device had been bought with is not something I consider a substantial advantage.

What? You have no idea what you are talking about. Unlocking a phone, except of course with the iPhone, is not breaking the contract. I get phones unlocked because I like to travel without having to spend a fortune on roaming. Further, T-Mo has a standing policy to unlock phones after 30 days for existing customers and 90 for new ones.

If you don't get a nervous breakdown when seeing a screwdriver, you can self-change the battery on the iPhone as well.

And you then kill the warranty. No thanks. Especially on such a fragile phone.

MarSciGuy

Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:03 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 25):
I doubt you will see the iPhone on VZW or Sprint, since that would require developing a cdma version. T-Mobile USA is almost certain to get it however.

I had heard awhile back that when Verizon rolls out LTE then they may go for the IPhone...and if this is the case, I'll be on the waiting list for one at that point  Smile
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

Elite

Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:53 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 35):
No it isn't. In what world, other than Klaus' fantasy all Apple world, could that possibly be an argument for the iPhone?

Perhaps because the Apple iPhone OS is better than the Google Android OS, but much of this is left up to personal tastes and preferences and can't actually be compared. But in terms of ease of use, iPhone's OS is superior.

scallar

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:53 am

Just some info for you guys who actually like the iPhone. The latest baseband version (05.11.07) has now been unlocked. To simplify, the baseband software is what controls what provider you're allowed to use your iPhone with and Apple recently upgraded this software to a version that was supposed to be virtually impossible to unlock. So all users (including me) who had an unlocked iPhone and upgraded to this version was all of a sudden left with an iPod Touch with built-in camera, ie. losing all phone functionality.

The guy who usually does the unlocking, known as Geohot, first said that he probably wasn't going to do an unlock for this version. He was then offered $10,000 from an "iPhone Unlocking Service Company" if he could unlock the 05.11.07 baseband. It took him about 3 days to achieve the first unlocked 05.11.07 iPhone.

He then posted the following on his blog:

"I have an unlock for 05.11.07. I will be releasing on 11/04/09, for $0.00
First off, Jody Sanders, I am declining your $10,000. Why? Because you, and the rest of the iPhone unlock sites out there are scum. You make money selling freeware; that's not cool, and I am in no way going to legitimize it."

Read the full blog post here

So, on Wednesday, my iPhone is alive and kicking again. Thank you, Geohot.  Smile
And remember guys... Never ever pay anyone to unlock your iPhone. You can do it yourself with completely free software in a couple of minutes.

Cheers!

MD11junkie

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:24 pm

iPhone 3G 8GB in Black

Since February '09 (2/6/09) - that's about 9 months.

Ease of use. Sound and video qualities capabilities. MMS, Copy/Paste capabilities with new OS 3.0+.

Battery life. Virtual keyboard key distance (I usually type other letters instead of the ones I want). Standard Headphones. Ever since I installed OS 3.1.1, it's been getting "stuck" when I end calls (randomly), and I need to press the lock key to get it "unstuck". No luck when upgrading to OS 3.1.2.

Kotoba (Japanese dict), Kanji Sensei, Facebook, Maps (with GPS).

movistar Argentina

Better battery life, better standard headphones.

Saludos,
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

a1ring23

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 39):

Battery life. Virtual keyboard key distance (I usually type other letters instead of the ones I want). Standard Headphones.

Seems like a popular complaint of the old 3G models...

Yes, my friend has a 3G and he says battery is terrible, at least one charge per day...luckily it's slightly better for the 3GS and I can get by on 2 days (normal use).

With regards to the headphones, never tried a pair of 3G ones but I'd assume they're similar to the ones with the 3GS (minus the microphone)

I find my 3GS headphones passable, bass is pretty average but sound replication is pretty good.

AverageUser

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Extremely few people actually own more than one battery pack, and most people never change the battery before getting a new phone.

This must be a verifiable statement?

Before the iPhone, even smartphones were often heavily branded, saddled with proxy-restricted and down-converted internet access (if they actually had any) and data flat rates were next to unknown.

News to me, but perhaps my corner of the world does not meet that of Klaus'?

[Edited 2009-11-02 09:59:33]

casinterest

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Which model do you have?!

3G 16 GB Black

- How long have you had it for?!

10 months

- What do you like most about it?!

IPOD, Wi-FI, and Apps, email

- What do you hate most about it?!

Lack of video and multi apps

- Which apps do you like/use most often?!

Mint, Fieldtroopers, Facebook, CBS Sports Football, WRAL(local news affiliate)

- Which carrier are you on?!

AT&T

- What changes would you like to be made in the next iPhone?!

New Carrier. I used to have sprint and enjoyed the plans and pricing. At the very least a new carrier would force AT&T to revamp the data plan.

+ anything else iPhone related that you would like to talk about.!

It's a great product, and changed me from a barely using cellphone person to a highly involved data user on hte plan.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Klaus

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:12 pm

In your Apple-centric haste, you seem to have forgotten one thing. I have an on screen keyboard as well. I don't HAVE to slide out the keyboard.

Well, if that onscreen keyboard is so deficient that they had to tack on another one, that says it all, doesn't it?

Kind of like the IBM/Lenovo notebooks with tiny, near-unusable trackpads but another clumsy mouse pointer controller shoved in as "compensation".

The problem is that even (and especially) two second-rate functionalities can't replace a single well-implemented one.

Also, there is nothing fragile about this thing.

Any additional hinges and separable housing segments will always introduce additional points of failure.

And of course the mechanical buttons themselves are further ones.

You seem to have missed my point, and distorted things anyway. I was talking about the customer service by the carrier.

That has little to do with the iPhone itself. And it is dependent on the local carriers anyway.

Simply look at the smashing success of Linux on the desktop for comparison. And at the causes.

You pretend like I don't have said experience.

I'm not "pretending" anything. Just concluding from your posts.

What? You have no idea what you are talking about. Unlocking a phone, except of course with the iPhone, is not breaking the contract. I get phones unlocked because I like to travel without having to spend a fortune on roaming.

Which is exactly breaking your contract if you'd care to check, unless an early unlock is allowed by its applicable terms.

That you find such a breach convenient does not automatically make it valid.

Further, T-Mo has a standing policy to unlock phones after 30 days for existing customers and 90 for new ones.

When you enter into a credit contract with rate payments (and a subsidized phone plan is exactly that apart from the actual network access fee it contains), you will always have to pay up either way.

And you then kill the warranty. No thanks. Especially on such a fragile phone.

Nonsense. If the battery should actually fail within the warranty, your point would be moot anyway.

And "fragile" most certainly doesn't apply to the iPhone – which you knew if you actually had any experience with it.

AverageUser

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:27 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 43):
Simply look at the smashing success of Linux on the desktop for comparison. And at the causes.

Greetings from a parallel universe, Klaus:
Iphone is actually a raging success compared to Linux.

In July - still three months before the official launch of Microsoft's new OS - Linux boasted 2.02 percent of the OS market, but Win7 was already up to 1.24 percent.

Windows overall still has 86.56 percent, which contains a few (0.14 percent) luddites still hanging on to Win 98. The venerable Windows XP still rules the roost with 61.52 percent, followed by Vista on 21.95 percent and OSX a distant third on 6.92 percent.

http://www.tgdaily.com/software-feat...ows-7-closes-on-linux-market-share

Klaus

Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 44):
Greetings from a parallel universe, Klaus:
Iphone is actually a raging success compared to Linux.

Missed.

His point and my response were both about the open source Android system.

AverageUser

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:02 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 45):

His point and my response were both about the open source Android system.

We can patch it in the mix: it's a 7% (Google Android) vs 45% (IPhoneOS), so the same story applies. (Worldwide shares.)

http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news...ackberry-taking-share-from-iphone/

Klaus

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:24 pm

You're still not making sense regarding either of our points.

AverageUser

Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 47):
You're still not making sense regarding either of our points.

That figures, but now that I've roused you, I asked once where did you learn that most people never change the battery in their phones? I was thinking, you're sort of Green are you not, then, do you think it was a good idea to make the battery in the iPhone difficult to replace? Ok, you said people do not change batteries, they change phones instead. Is that ecologically sustainable? Or perhaps I'm all wrong as usual, iPhone's batteries never go flat, and we have a Jobs' guarantee on that.

a1ring23

Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:04 pm

Out of interest, how many of you guys have jailbroken iPhones?