maestra80

Using Someone Else's Disney Annual Pass?

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:57 am

I'm going to Disney World in a few days and I have a ticket, but my friend does not. My brother has an annual pass that he was going to let my friend "borrow" (my brother is not coming with). Disney supposedly has the ticket holder's fingerprint data attached to the ticket, same goes for the annual pass. But do they *really* have all this fingerprint data stored on the ticket? Would my friend be able to use my brother's annual pass, with the fingerprint scan, and make it through the gate anyway?

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this before. Have you ever used someone else's annual pass, and made it through the fingerprint scan/gate with no problems??
The roofs are full of snow in Petrograd!

ManuCH
Crew

RE: Using Someone Else's Disney Annual Pass?

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:06 am

I haven't tried this, but if they got your friend's fingerprint, they have it stored - not on the ticket, but on their servers which are linked to the gate. My guess is that it won't work.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

fca767

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:10 am

Quoting Maestra80 (Thread starter):
I'm going to Disney World in a few days and I have a ticket, but my friend does not. My brother has an annual pass that he was going to let my friend "borrow" (my brother is not coming with). Disney supposedly has the ticket holder's fingerprint data attached to the ticket, same goes for the annual pass. But do they *really* have all this fingerprint data stored on the ticket? Would my friend be able to use my brother's annual pass, with the fingerprint scan, and make it through the gate anyway?

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this before. Have you ever used someone else's annual pass, and made it through the fingerprint scan/gate with no problems??

What about faking that your fingerprint has changed a bit because you wrecked your finger in some freak accident Big grin

Stealthz

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:26 am

The passes are "non-transferable" so using someone elses pass is theft!

Pure and simple
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

Bongodog1964

Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:59 am

I have in the past found these theme park scanners to be very unreliable, and have had to be manually admitted by the gate staff.
However I have always been "in the right" so the decision has gone in my favour.

Do you feel that you will be able to stand your ground and lie convincingly ?

kiwiandrew

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Why do I feel that the OP should have two little Donald Ducks figures perched one on each shoulder , one dressed in white , wearing a halo and shaking his head sadly  angel  , the other dressed in red , with horns and a pitchfork egging him on  devil  .

RussianJet

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:37 pm

Consider the fact that in the likely event of them realising something is up, the pass may well be confiscated and nobody at all will be able to use it.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Bongodog1964

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 6):
Consider the fact that in the likely event of them realising something is up, the pass may well be confiscated and nobody at all will be able to use it.

If your fraud is detected, they would be duty bound to confiscate the pass, as it would then be assumed to be stolen property. Your brother would then have to convince Disney that it was actually stolen, and not lent out.

Just pay the money and stop being so mean.

flybaurlax

Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:41 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 7):

Because they basically steal from you with how expensive Disney is these days!
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

rfields5421

Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Quoting FlybaurLAX (Reply 8):

So don't go.

It is not like Disney is a "must see" item. It is a luxury option and if you think it is too much, don't go.

As far as the OP question. Modern cards can keep data like fingerprints encoded either on a chip or a scanable image printed on the card.

The technology is not perfect, but the odds of getting caught are high. And it is getting easier for them to catch people each year.

kiwiandrew

Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:52 pm

So you dont consider it stealing if you want something , can't afford it ( or dont want to pay the price ) and simply take it ? Fascinating .

ronglimeng

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:50 pm

The proposal outlined by the thread-starter reminds me of the time at the beginning of my third year at university when I lent my residence meal card to a friend of a friend ( actually he wasn't even that close) for what I thought would be just the dinner that night.

I'd never "borrow" a card myself, but at the time, I didn't have the strength of character not to be a "nice guy", and not to be complicit in the direct wrongdoing of someone else.

Actually there was no theft - I didn't get the card back for two days and I had to go without eating in the residence dining hall myself. After that experience, I found it easier to say "no" to those kinds of schemes , and still later, I found it easier to even more actively discourage people from stealing like that.

What you propose to try at Disney World is wrong. Don't do it.

seb146

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:07 pm

Food for thought:

My partner and I went to Disneyland in May. We did not buy any tickets on-line or pre-pay or anything like that. What we did is, we went to Vons and bought the Southern California Resident 2 day, 2 park pass. I think it was like $60 or something where the "out of town" rate was $100 or more. We got in without any proof of ID or anything. They simply scanned the card and welcomed us in. However, if they have fingerprints on file, I would not try it.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Goldenshield

Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:44 pm

I know that at the Anheiser Busch theme parks, they take your picture for the annual pass, so trying to sneak by with that would be, well, pretty hard.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

ONTFlyer

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:28 pm

Ok so I'm a former mouse house cast member and from what I know from friends that still work there, yes the card does contain the fingerprint info...When I worked there in the past, annual passes had the owner's pic on the back, is that not the case now? I've seen piles of confiscated AP's from people who let their friends or fam try to use theirs. So all in all, I wouldn't risk it. Just splurge and get a park-hopper and have fun
Doin' just fine thanks...

maestra80

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:58 pm

I must say, that I am pleasantly surprised that there are so many ethical people on a.net, who would not "steal" from Disney. I would've never guessed!  Smile

But my original question was, has anyone (or anyone you know) ever used another's annual pass to get into Disney World, and were you able to get past the fingerprint scan?

After reading all these replies discouraging me from possibly getting my brother's pass revoked, I went online and registered for the free birthday ticket to Disney World, since that's why I'm going in the first place. I will probably just end up using that for myself, and letting my friend "borrow" my parkhopper ticket. My friend can not afford a ticket, because just like me...that person is currently unemployed  Sad

Quoting ONTFlyer (Reply 14):
When I worked there in the past, annual passes had the owner's pic on the back, is that not the case now?

From what I read online, I think only Disneyland passes still have the owner's pic on them. The Disney World passes no longer have this.

FlyingColours

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Quoting Maestra80 (Reply 15):
I must say, that I am pleasantly surprised that there are so many ethical people on a.net, who would not "steal" from Disney. I would've never guessed!

I'm more shocked that there are people who won't "steal" from Disney and not about how many ethical A.Netters are around.

Personally I don't think it boils down to ethics, I just think that everyone has seen South Park and doesn't want Mickey to get pissed off and go on a rampage  Big grin

Phil
Flyingcolours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

virgin744

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:09 pm

I had an annual pass for DisneyLand California until last April and didnt renew it. They didnt do fingerprint scans up till April 09.

Universal Studios DO take finger print scans however...but they are much cheaper than Disney and less of a rip-off although they dont have many rides in comparison.

travelin man

Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:23 pm

But my original question was, has anyone (or anyone you know) ever used another's annual pass to get into Disney World, and were you able to get past the fingerprint scan?

Not sure about Disney World, but I was at Disneyland about 2 months ago, and as we were going in the gates, I saw a family of four getting busted for trying to use someone else's annual pass (it looks like they used the picture on the back to ID the theft).

The Disney employee was saying "this is not you", and the father was hemming and hawing, and Disney took the pass away.

Not worth trying it IMO.

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:41 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 4):
Do you feel that you will be able to stand your ground and lie convincingly ?

Until they ask for a photo ID.

About the best you can do is use the pass to get free parking, if the parking is included on your brother's pass, since they don't check or scan when you park. But you can get free parking by parking at any of the resort hotels and then using the Disney bus system to get wherever you need to go or parking at Downtown Disney and then getting to a hotel then to the park.

Or you could just join the military and get a free 5 day park hopper plus 5 water park days like I did for this year.  biggrin 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

kiwiandrew

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:36 am

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 16):

I'm more shocked that there are people who won't "steal" from Disney and not about how many ethical A.Netters are around.

I must say, that I am pleasantly surprised that there are so many ethical people on a.net, who would not "steal" from Disney. I would've never guessed!

Why the inverted commas ? Does it make people feel more comfortable about committing theft if they pretend that it is not really stealing ?

Falcon84

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:17 am

Have you ever used someone else's annual pass, and made it through the fingerprint scan/gate with no problems??

Back in late 1990, my wife and I visited two of my cousins living in San Diego. My cousin Scott gave me the pass for he and his wife so my wife and I could get in free to Sea World. I don't see th big deal with it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

maestra80

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:32 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 20):
Why the inverted commas ? Does it make people feel more comfortable about committing theft if they pretend that it is not really stealing ?

Nothing is being "stolen," relax! If you're borrowing a family members pass that is "paid for" and going in "their" place, how is theft being committed??

Would using a family member's pass break the rules Disney has in place?...yes, but that's not the same thing as committing theft or stealing.

We're going to end up buying the second ticket anyway, just to avoid any potential troubles, so you can rest your pretty head easy tonight  cheeky 

ONTFlyer

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:43 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 21):
Back in late 1990, my wife and I visited two of my cousins living in San Diego. My cousin Scott gave me the pass for he and his wife so my wife and I could get in free to Sea World. I don't see th big deal with it.

Unfortunately in 2009 you can no longer get away with doing that. Even at Sea World they use fingerprint scanners now
Doin' just fine thanks...

Bongodog1964

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:42 am

An annual pass allows many admissions at a fraction of the cost of a single ticket, not expensive at all.
I visited Disneyland in August, for our $80 or so admission we were there from 09.30 until 22.30, thats $6 per hour, and we could have been there from 09.00 utntil midnight.

Quoting Maestra80 (Reply 22):
Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 20):

Nothing is being "stolen," relax! If you're borrowing a family members pass that is "paid for" and going in "their" place, how is theft being committed??

Would using a family member's pass break the rules Disney has in place?...yes, but that's not the same thing as committing theft or stealing.

If the terms and conditions state that you cannot lend a pass, its theft pure and simple.