sudden

F1 Off Season 2009/2010

Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi all,

Thought we could kick off the off season thread as it has actually started now.

Again we have had a season filled with drama and scandals. But lets not forget the highlights as they have been there as well.
The biggest highlight to me is that Massa will fully recover, and that his wife and child will not be without a husband/father.

Although this last race was sold out, I really wonder how this track will keep it up in the future. The only thing I could see was signs saying "Look how much money we have spent."
Looked like the actual track was planned after all the other gadgets and bling bling had got their places. A real shame to end a season this way. It actually worries me for the future tracks that are in the process of being built cause they all want to be compared with Yas Marina.

It looks like Mercedes are the reason behind why we don't know who will drive the second car at brawn and Mclaren nex season. Apparently they have put everything on hold for now.

19 weeks until next race weekend, so lets keep this thread alive with upcoming news and developments.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

RE: F1 Off Season 2009/2010

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:06 pm

Thank you for opening this off season F1 thread.

The thing that immediately comes to my mind is that there will be no more Max and Bernie which in itself is certainly not a bad thing, we have seen much too much of these two.

I am not sure how the gnome Jean Todt will fare. Let's wait and see. We will have plenty of time to find out. 2010 will give us a good idea.

Talking about the Yas Marina, my idea is that Max and Bernie and the (ex) Ferrari International Assistance along with their sponsors Mubadala are solely responsible for the coming of the AbuDhabi GP and they had their Premiere today.

Now the drivers. To me Toyota noobie third driver Kamui Kobayashi is my happiest surprise. Think of his Ferrari equivalent Luca Badoer and feel the difference! Kobayashi is genius, he proved it today with his daring overtaking of new world champion Jenson Button. He had already thrilled me at Interlagos, today was another one of his surprises.

Vettel and Webber are great drivers also. Hammy is still most special in my heart. I am sure 2010 will be a better year for him provided that McLaren come up with a better car for him. This year wasn't it at all.

I will be missing the departing ones especially BMW Sauber. I like Mario Theissen. I will be sorry to see them going. Let's see what new teams we will have next season.

Some drivers that I would like to see retiring will probably stay. I am thinking of Kimi. I think it is time for him to leave and go do something else. Anyway this is just my own opinion.

Make room for the younger drivers!  goodvibes   yes   checkeredflag   trophy 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

FX772LRF

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:18 pm

I haven't been following F1 for sake of the drastic rule changes, and the leaderboards being flipped upside down.

How is the US F1 team coming along? Will they be ready for the first race next season?

-Noah  wave 
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

LTU932

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:20 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 1):
no more Max and Bernie

However, now we have to deal with Jean and Bernard...  Wink

sudden

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 1):
I am not sure how the gnome Jean Todt will fare

This was settled even before the voting took place really.
Todt had the whole Maranello behind him, as well as drivers who drove during Todt's era. Vatanen didn't stand a chance. If this is not going to biased, I don't know what is.
One can only hope that Todt's actions will be monitored.

And please MadameC, could we lose the FIA = Ferrari International Assistance. Thanks.

Quoting FX772LRF (Reply 2):
How is the US F1 team coming along? Will they be ready for the first race next season?

All new teams aim to be on the grid in March, but we don't know more then you really. Driver line up for the new teams are written in the sky currently, so we just need to wait and see.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

GrahamHill

Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:44 pm

The only thing I'm happy about Todt is that he wants the French GP back and he could make it happen quite quickly (obviously not next year, but 2011 could be realistic).

I miss my French GP  cry 
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

codeshare

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:04 pm

The new season will probably be as exciting as this one. We'll have the new teams. Cosworth back. Let's hope Bridgestone will prepare better 'ingredients' in the tyres.

Most of the constructors should have learnt how the diffusers are working. No tanking. But qualifying should be more exciting.

New track: S. Korea.
What worries me is the overtaking. We had just a few moments this season. The real overtaking was in pit-stop strategies. Every new track is basically designed by Mr. Tilke. I'd like to see Imola back, probably one or two other tracks also. But its the $$$ that matter not the viewer's entertainment.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

LTU932

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:06 pm

How is the US F1 team coming along?

From what I've heard, they're placing their racing operations in Spain. The factory for building the cars will apparently still be in South Carolina.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 5):
The only thing I'm happy about Todt is that he wants the French GP back and he could make it happen quite quickly

As long as the French GP isn't in Magny-Cours, no objections from me.  Wink

Quoting Codeshare (Reply 6):
But its the $$$ that matter not the viewer's entertainment.

checkmark 

I read in an article that even Dr Mario Theissen, the head of the old BMW squad, said that there was some entertainment missing.

MIAspotter

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:10 pm

I want to make a list of all the drivers and the teams for whom they will be racing, we can update the list as soon as we find out who goes where.

Legend:
TBA = To Be Announced
In brackets = Not confirmed or keeping current driver.

Brawn GP F1 Team.
Driver 1: TBA (Jenson Button)
Driver 2: TBA (Rubens Barrichelo, Nico Rosberg)
Test Driver: TBA

Campos Meta Team.
Driver 1: TBA (Bruno Senna)
Driver 2: TBA (Pedro Martinez de la Rosa)
Test Driver:

Scuderia Ferrari.
Driver 1: Felipe Massa
Driver 2: Fernando Alonso
Test Driver: Giancarlo Fisichella

Force India F1 Team.
Driver 1: TBA (Adrian Sutil)
Driver 2: TBA (Vitantonio Liuzzi)

Lotus F1 Team.
Driver 1: TBA
Driver 2: TBA

Manor Grand Prix.

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.
Driver 1: Lewis Hamilton
Driver 2: TBA (Either Button, Rosberg or Raikkonen)

Red Bull Racing.
Driver 1: Mark Webber
Driver 2: Sebastian Vettel

Renault F1 Team.
Driver 1: Robert Kubica
Driver 2: TBA (Romain Grosjean)
Test Driver: TBA (Lucas Di Grassi)

Scuderia Toro Rosso.
Driver 1: TBA (Sebastien Buemi)
Driver 2: TBA (Jaime Alguersuari)

Panasonic Toyota Racing.
Driver 1: TBA (Jarno Trulli)
Driver 2: TBA (Timo Glock/Kamui Kobayashi)
Test Driver: Kamui Kobayashi

Team US F1.
Driver 1: TBA (Jacques Villeneuve)

AT&T Williams.
Driver 1: TBA (Heikki Kovalainen)
Driver 2: TBA (Kazuki Nakajima, Nico Hulkenberg)

Let the speculation begin!!

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

sudden

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:16 pm

By the way,

KERS is allowed to be used next season, but all teams have agreed to not run it. Good move. KERS was not meant to be, and the only teams who actually got it to work properly was Mclaren and Ferrari, which happens to be the teams with the biggest budget.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

LTU932

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:17 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 8):

About Williams, it will be more likely that they'll hire Nico Hülkenberg from GP2. Nakajima's time in F1 is over and at most, he will stick around as test driver.

MIAspotter

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:26 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):
Nakajima's time in F1 is over and at most, he will stick around as test driver.

Totally agree, he never really do anything with the car, other than crash it onto someone else's.

As for the new rules of 2010, what do you guys think about the banning of refueling during pit stops?

19 weeks until the new season starts... Hmm... better dust off the ole PS2 and fire up the F1 games.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

LTU932

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:34 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 11):
what do you guys think about the banning of refueling during pit stops?

It's about time they re-introduce that. With all the re-fuelling, F1 has become a strategic operation, not a skill operation.

scrubbsywg

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:16 am

Campos Meta Team.
Driver 1: TBA (Bruno Senna)
Test Driver:

believe it was confirmed senna is one of the drivers for campos.

CXB77L

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:14 am

My money's on Raikkonen to get the seat. I think it's pretty safe to assume that Rosberg and Barrichello will do a switch - Rosberg to Brawn, Barrichello to Williams, leaving Raikkonen for the McLaren seat. Hamilton and Raikkonen will be a very interesting combination, but as Brundle mentioned during the commentary in Abu Dhabi, it will depend very much on what Mercedes do. I hope that Mercedes continue their long and successful partnership with McLaren.

AT&T Williams.
Driver 1: TBA (Heikki Kovalainen)

While there hasn't been any confirmation yet from Williams, I think we can pretty much pencil in Rubens Barrichello and Nico Hulkenberg for the drive. Rosberg has already confirmed that he is leaving, and it doesn't take Einstein to work out that Nakajima just hasn't done enough to keep his drive. Time to give someone else a go.

Team US F1.

I am very much a Jacques Villeneuve fan. I've liked him ever since he made his debut with Williams in 1996, and have followed his career with interest. But I must question whether Villeneuve has still got what it takes to be in F1. He's 39 years old, and hasn't raced in F1 since 2006. F1 has changed a lot since then, and I fear that he may not be able to keep up. I really don't want to see Villeneuve finish his career as a mobile chicane, but it would be nice to have him back.

On the other hand, he wasn't the biggest fan of the introduction of grooved tyres into F1, and with the return of slicks, he might just get a car that behaves the way he wants it to.
Boeing 777 fanboy

scrubbsywg

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:27 am

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 14):
I am very much a Jacques Villeneuve fan. I've liked him ever since he made his debut with Williams in 1996, and have followed his career with interest. But I must question whether Villeneuve has still got what it takes to be in F1. He's 39 years old, and hasn't raced in F1 since 2006. F1 has changed a lot since then, and I fear that he may not be able to keep up. I really don't want to see Villeneuve finish his career as a mobile chicane, but it would be nice to have him back.

i too am somewhat of a JV fan, although, really, what does he have to lose? If someone wants to give him a chance, i say he should do it. His years at BAR were really nothing to write home about, and BMW wasn't much better. He basically ruined most of his reputation there, so i think going to another upstart really isn't that bad.

And, even though F1 has changed since then, i think it was his old engineer or someone like that, that earlier this year called Jacques and said he would really like the cars this year because they really suit his driving.

LTU932

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:32 am

Team US F1.

Wait. First they're debating about getting Danica into F1, now they're considering Jacques Villeneuve? I can take it if Danica decides to join the F1 circus, but yet another return from JV? No thanks.  talktothehand 

bill142

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:16 am

Bridgestone to pull out at the end of 2010.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79968

Who will replace them? Michelin won't be interested as they were only going to continue to compete in F1 if there was competition amongst manufacturers.

Quoting Sudden (Reply 9):
KERS is allowed to be used next season, but all teams have agreed to not run it.

Williams have indicated they will run it since they're still suspended from FOTA.

sudden

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 16):
First they're debating about getting Danica into F1

I think it was back in August that we knew that Danica was not to drive for USF1.

He's 39 years old, and hasn't raced in F1 since 2006

I'm all for it if he comes back. He has lots of experience, and can be very valuable to a rookie team.
But I also like to see him back because he says what he thinks. He doesn't beat around the bush, at all. Drives a bit wild, and can be bit of a loose canon. Just what F1 needs to bring back part of the "good old times" and to lose up things around the paddock. If someone can hire Irvine to drive as well, it would be even better. No chance of that happening, but you see my point.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 17):
Who will replace them?

Good Year wouldn't be a stranger to F1.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

GrahamHill

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:26 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 7):
As long as the French GP isn't in Magny-Cours, no objections from me.

I agree, I've always hated this circuit. But there are rumours that if a new track is not built on time, F1 could temporarily go to Le Castellet (a.k.a Paul-Ricard or HTTTTTTTTTTT)

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 12):
It's about time they re-introduce that. With all the re-fuelling, F1 has become a strategic operation, not a skill operation.

Indeed.

I am very much a Jacques Villeneuve fan

Me too! He was rock n' roll and brought some fun in F1. I miss drivers like him and Montoya. At least they were not "formatted".

I've liked him ever since he made his debut with Williams in 1996, and have followed his career with interest. But I must question whether Villeneuve has still got what it takes to be in F1.

I agree on that as well. 39 is quite old. Let's see if he can take up the challenge.

Who will replace them? Michelin won't be interested as they were only going to continue to compete in F1 if there was competition amongst manufacturers.

Indeed, Michelin wants to have competitors. And then they are not in good terms with the FIA, where they've been kicked out of WRC as well.

Good Year could be a solution. Why not Pirelli or Dunlop?

cornish

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:49 am

While there hasn't been any confirmation yet from Williams, I think we can pretty much pencil in Rubens Barrichello and Nico Hulkenberg for the drive. Rosberg has already confirmed that he is leaving, and it doesn't take Einstein to work out that Nakajima just hasn't done enough to keep his drive. Time to give someone else a go.

And as expected its now been confirmed this morning - Barichello and Hulkenburg for Williams in 2010.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8337807.stm

So Barichello and Rosberg looking certain to swap seats then....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

sudden

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 20):
And as expected its now been confirmed this morning - Barichello and Hulkenburg for Williams in 2010.

Glad to see that Rubens will stay in F1. He must be the sweetest guy out there on the track.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 20):
So Barichello and Rosberg looking certain to swap seats then....

Well, not so sure really as it looks like Mercedes doesn't know what they want at the moment. Brawn would for sure be a step in the right direction for Rosberg to target the WDC title, but my money is on Mclaren if I need to pick one of these 2 teams for next season.

If Mclaren and Kimi can sort out the financial aspects of the contract as well as the sponsor appearences, I would not be surprised to see Kimi next to Lewis.
In the Q and A with Martin W. a little while back, he more or less said himself that they want Kimi.

I am thinking of Kimi. I think it is time for him to leave and go do something else. Anyway this is just my own opinion.

Make room for the younger drivers!

We all know you don't like Kimi, which is fine, but if it comes down to make room for younger drivers, there are far more older drivers on the grid then Kimi.

I also sense that you don't want Kimi to drive for Mclaren next season, cause he can actually be a real challenge for Lewis. How am I doing so far?  Wink

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

cornish

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 21):
Well, not so sure really as it looks like Mercedes doesn't know what they want at the moment. Brawn would for sure be a step in the right direction for Rosberg to target the WDC title, but my money is on Mclaren if I need to pick one of these 2 teams for next season.

If Mclaren and Kimi can sort out the financial aspects of the contract as well as the sponsor appearences, I would not be surprised to see Kimi next to Lewis.
In the Q and A with Martin W. a little while back, he more or less said himself that they want Kimi

Actully Mercedes are McLaren are this week supposedly sorting out the parting of their deal and Mercedes shareholding, whilst guaranteeing continuing engine supply going forward, leaving Mercedes free to buy into Brawn - pretty much an open secret in F1 now. And its been made clear that Mercedes want Rosberg in a car powered by their engines and that he will go to Brawn.

Despite the Button to McLaren rumours, everyone thinks he wil lsign at least a one year deal to stay at Brawn and see how they do next year. Kimi should then slot into the spare McLaren seat.

Glock is expected to be announced as the second Renault driver next week. Konbayashi will almost certainly get a Toyota drive given his promising performance in the first two races.

Oh and Bruno Senna - nephew of Ayrton has been confirmed at Campos Meta.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

swissy

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Quoting Sudden (Thread starter):
Although this last race was sold out, I really wonder how this track will keep it up in the future. The only thing I could see was signs saying "Look how much money we have spent."

Could not agree more... at least now we know why crude oil prices are being kept so high... they have to make sure WE all pay for a bs track like that...

My biggest ? is for the US F1 team.... there is nothing so far which indicates anything but singed papers....

Looking forward seeing Alonso & Massa sorting out "who is the boss" @ SF in 2010

Cheerios,

GrahamHill

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:00 pm

Quoting Swissy (Reply 23):
Looking forward seeing Alonso & Massa sorting out "who is the boss" @ SF in 2010

There's not doubt for me. Alonso is a much better driver than Massa! After, it will be more a matter of how well he will integrate the team.

MadameConcorde

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:01 pm

he can actually be a real challenge for Lewis. How am I doing so far? Wink

Kimi did not do too good this season did he? How many times on top of podiums?  Confused
Hammy did not do too good for another reason: McLaren did not provide him with a proper car. Even yesterday in Abu Dhabi, he had started a sensational race and then ponc! because of the brakes while Kimi was cauliflowers.  Wow!

Let Kimi be with McLaren and you will very quickly see the difference between the two.  Big grin
I know Raikkonen. I wish I would see as much of Hammy year round than I get to see Kimi.  Big grin

Time will tell who goes with which team. We will soon find out.

I will be happy to see more of Kobayashi on the tracks in 2010 and I certainly look forward to see him driving in Monaco. Wish Taku was coming back. He is one handsome boy and a decent F1 driver.  cloudnine  I miss the Aguris They were great.  Sad
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

legoguy

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:02 pm

KERS is allowed to be used next season, but all teams have agreed to not run it. Good move. KERS was not meant to be, and the only teams who actually got it to work properly was Mclaren and Ferrari, which happens to be the teams with the biggest budget.

I don't know, I thought the KERS added a bit of flavour to the racing. The only reason why McLaren and Ferrari got it to work was because they stuck through the rough times at the beginning when learning how to implement it into their cars. Renault and BMW used it briefly but never stuck to it IIRC. And the rest of the teams didn't even try to implement it. KERS had the potential to be a great thing in F1, but the teams lack of enthusiasm meant it wasn't to be.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

sudden

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:28 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 25):
Kimi did not do too good this season did he? How many times on top of podiums?

And again I need to remind you of that Ferrari halted development on the F60 whilst Mclaren brought update after update. So do you really find it strange that Lewis is the faster? Not even you can argue with the fact that Ferrari/Kimi did a pretty good job considering that they were running the same package for the whole season.
A hardcore fan as you are of Lewis, don't forget the small bits and pieces.  Wink
Kimi can't be all that bad if Martin W. wants him back in the team.

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 26):
I know Raikkonen

You know him!? You have been stalking him as well?

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 24):
Alonso is a much better driver than Massa!

Not only me that doesn't find Massa to be all that then.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

scbriml

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:51 pm

I also sense that you don't want Kimi to drive for Mclaren next season, cause he can actually be a real challenge for Lewis. How am I doing so far?

As a rookie Hamilton showed he had what it takes to deal with an aggressive double World Champion. Frankly, I don't see the fading Raikkonen presenting too many challenges.  smile 

What Raikkonen should bring to McLaren is solid points to significantly boost McLaren in the Constructors' Championship.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

codeshare

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Glad to see that Rubens will stay in F1. He must be the sweetest guy out there on the track.

Yes, we have seen it this season - when his race was good, when it was bad Rubens showed a different side. Anyways he'll be doing that record number of GPs.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 19):
I am very much a Jacques Villeneuve fan

Me too! He was rock n' roll and brought some fun in F1. I miss drivers like him and Montoya. At least they were not "formatted".

Montoya? More excitement would be the outcome.

KS/codeshare

codeshare

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:57 pm

Kimi did not do too good this season did he? How many times on top of podiums? Confused
Hammy did not do too good for another reason: McLaren did not provide him with a proper car. Even yesterday in Abu Dhabi, he had started a sensational race and then ponc! because of the brakes while Kimi was cauliflowers. Wow!

Let Kimi be with McLaren and you will very quickly see the difference between the two. Big grin
I know Raikkonen. I wish I would see as much of Hammy year round than I get to see Kimi.

It's the same for both of them, They did have weaker cars this season. But Lewis somehow managed to get back into action. Kimi was asleep all season. Massa was the active driver until the accident.

KS/codeshare

EZEIZA

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Alonso is a much better driver than Massa! After, it will be more a matter of how well he will integrate the team.

No doubt Alonso is much better driver. I just hope the ego fight won't affect the team and that on the contrary they will both be competitive, even if competing against eachother.
But it will be difficult to stop the cry baby ...

Quoting Sudden (Reply 27):
Kimi can't be all that bad if Martin W. wants him back in the team.

Kimi is a good driver. He's not Senna, Fangio or any other legend, but he's good, and he proved it by winning the WDC. And as you say, this season, considering he was driving a school bus, he had some pretty good results. I think I may have said this before, but I'm not so sure Ferrari made the right choice in letting Kimi go. Time will tell...
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

codeshare

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 26):
Renault and BMW used it briefly but never stuck to it IIRC. And the rest of the teams didn't even try to implement it. KERS had the potential to be a great thing in F1, but the teams lack of enthusiasm meant it wasn't to be.

BMW overinvested in KERS, that was their main mistake for the 2009 season, apart from loosening all things in 2nd half of 2008. In the last three races they sort of caught up to everybody, but it was too late.

KS/codeshare

cornish

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:09 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 28):
I also sense that you don't want Kimi to drive for Mclaren next season, cause he can actually be a real challenge for Lewis. How am I doing so far?

As a rookie Hamilton showed he had what it takes to deal with an aggressive double World Champion. Frankly, I don't see the fading Raikkonen presenting too many challenges.

What Raikkonen should bring to McLaren is solid points to significantly boost McLaren in the Constructors' Championship.

I agree. Kimi will be quick and certainly a much better bet for points than Kovaleinen but I would expect Hamilton to get the better of him over the course of the season. Kimi is indeed a fading force - but when he wakes up and wants it he's still damn impressive - he just doesn't do it enough these days.

There's a school of thought that says Hamilton was the most impressive driver over the second half of the season given the equipment at his disposal. If anything he showed with some of his performances that he was throughly deserving of having the no.1 on his car.... along with Alonso I still regard him as the best out there - with Vettel definitely heading that way.

But watch out for Hulkenburg next year - he could be VERY good indeed....

MIAspotter

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:46 pm

OK, Updating the list to show Barrichello and Hulkenberg on Williams.

Brawn GP F1 Team.
Driver 1: TBA (Jenson Button)
Driver 2: TBA (Nico Rosberg)

Campos Meta Team.
Driver 1: Bruno Senna
Test Driver:

Scuderia Ferrari.
Driver 1: Felipe Massa
Driver 2: Fernando Alonso
Test Driver: Giancarlo Fisichella

Force India F1 Team.
Driver 1: TBA (Adrian Sutil)
Driver 2: TBA (Vitantonio Liuzzi)

Lotus F1 Team.

Manor Grand Prix.

Red Bull Racing.
Driver 1: Mark Webber
Driver 2: Sebastian Vettel

Renault F1 Team.
Driver 1: Robert Kubica
Driver 2: TBA (Romain Grosjean, Timo Glock)
Test Driver: TBA (Lucas Di Grassi)

Scuderia Toro Rosso.
Driver 1: TBA (Sebastien Buemi)
Driver 2: TBA (Jaime Alguersuari)

Panasonic Toyota Racing.

Team US F1.

AT&T Williams.
Driver 1: Rubens Barrichello
Driver 2: Nico Hulkenberg

Quoting Swissy (Reply 23):

They have high hopes for Alonso at Ferrari, so I think Massa will push himself to show he is still worthy of his Ferrari seat, but Alonso will pretty much be "the boss"

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

waterpolodan

Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:09 pm

During the american broadcast of the last race, one of the commentators had a little segment where he went for a tour of the new Charlotte facilities for USF1. Obviously Peter Windsor works for Speed so there's a strong connection there. They didn't show too much, just Windsor's office, a room full of computers with engineers running CFD programs showing airflow on an F1 car, and a huge machine that was making metal parts for a gearbox it looked like. It'll be a tall order for them to have everything in place come March, but I think they'll make it.

KERS is allowed to be used next season, but all teams have agreed to not run it.

True, but Williams is still apparently pushing forward with the development of their flywheel-based KERS system which they still haven't actually used in race conditions, don't know if they intend to run it despite the gentleman's agreement not to or if they hope to sell the technology to a road car manufacturer or another race series...

There's not doubt for me. Alonso is a much better driver than Massa!

Better as in more consistent, maybe, but definitely not out and out quicker. I imagine Alonso will end the year with a few more points than Massa, but I think Felipe will outqualify him the majority of the time. It'll be a fascinating pairing in any case, I hope Felipe gets the best of the eyebrow king.

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 34):

Panasonic Toyota Racing.

It's pretty much a sure thing that Trulli won't be back for Toyota, and also a sure thing that Kobayashi will after his excellent drive. As for Glock, I've read rumors linking him with other teams but I guess we'll have to see, didn't one of the toyota execs specifically say that they wanted 2 new drivers?

B747forever

Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:22 pm

Kimi did not do too good this season did he? How many times on top of podiums?

Well let us take a look at the WDC standing for this season between Kimi and Hamilton:

05 Lewis Hamilton 49
06 Kimi Räikkönen 48

Only a single point between Kimi and Lewis, and bear in mind what Sudden said about the F60.

It will be interesting to see Kimi back in McLaren if he gets the seat. Wonder if he will revert to his old habits with McLaren  Wink
Work Hard, Fly Right

cornish

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 35):
It's pretty much a sure thing that Trulli won't be back for Toyota, and also a sure thing that Kobayashi will after his excellent drive. As for Glock, I've read rumors linking him with other teams but I guess we'll have to see, didn't one of the toyota execs specifically say that they wanted 2 new drivers?

Trulli is being linked with joining Mike Gascoyne at Lotus (who he has driven for at Toyota, Renault and jordan in past). Glock is expected to sign for Renault next week (as i mentioned in one of my above posts) according to BBCs race coverage yesterday. Kobayashi will almost certainly be in a toyota next season after his two races this year.....

Quoting B747forever (Reply 36):
Well let us take a look at the WDC standing for this season between Kimi and Hamilton:

05 Lewis Hamilton 49
06 Kimi Räikkönen 48

Statistics can prove a lot of nonsense. Kimi did have some good days in 2009 for sure but I thin kanyone other than the most blinkered Kimi fan could see that Hamilton was driving the wheels off his car throughout the season while Kimi was good some weeks and nowhere on others. Hamilton's Brazil drive was arguably the drive of the season for instance.

LTU932

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Bridgestone to pull out at the end of 2010.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79968

Perhaps Goodyear could return? They did have a monopoly in F1 themselves for some time over 10 years ago, before Bridgestone came in. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing those Goodyear Eagle tyres in F1 again.

EZEIZA

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 37):
Statistics can prove a lot of nonsense. Kimi did have some good days in 2009 for sure but I thin kanyone other than the most blinkered Kimi fan could see that Hamilton was driving the wheels off his car throughout the season while Kimi was good some weeks and nowhere on others

But you have to consider the car he drove. Kimi made the best out of a terrible F60. LH had an amazing second part of the season, but he was nowhere to be seen in the first part. In this case, the stats are good proof that there is not much difference between them, and in equal conditions, meaning the same car, it won't be that easy to decide who is the number 1 driver between the two.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

scbriml

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 39):
But you have to consider the car he drove.

I would dispute the Ferrari was quite as bad as you're claiming. no 

It was arguably better over the season as a whole than the McLaren. Massa was comfortably outperforming Raikkonen before he was forced to withdraw. Having effectively only had one driver for nearly half a season "enabled" McLaren to just pip Ferrari at the end. If Badoa and Fisichella had managed just a paltry two points between them from seven starts, Ferrari would have finished ahead of McLaren.

Any car that can deliver a win, a second, 4 thirds and 3 fourths and other minor places (and would have undoubtedly delivered more had Massa driven a full season), cannot be as bad as you're claiming.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

scrubbsywg

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:22 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 35):

True, but Williams is still apparently pushing forward with the development of their flywheel-based KERS system which they still haven't actually used in race conditions, don't know if they intend to run it despite the gentleman's agreement not to or if they hope to sell the technology to a road car manufacturer or another race series...

Williams have indicated they will run it since they're still suspended from FOTA.

http://www.forumula1.net/2009/f1/f1-...ms-u-turn-signals-the-end-of-kers/

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/mod...id=122240&newlang=&topic=8&catid=0

Williams has decided not to run KERS next year.

They are also re-admitted to FOTA(back in september): http://www.teamsassociation.org/pres...ase/2009-09-09/press-release-monza

[Edited 2009-11-02 16:24:46 by scrubbsYWG]

Tiger119

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:35 am

How is the US F1 team coming along?

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 7):
From what I've heard, they're placing their racing operations in Spain. The factory for building the cars will apparently still be in South Carolina

- How about the USGP? I would probably go to the race (again) if they would return to IMS. Look at all the money they put into the place just to have Bernie pull out because he does not like Indy.  mad 

- I like the match. A Canadian driving a race car for an American team. I like it, would be better if Montoya would go back to F1 and be a team mate.  thumbsup 

AT&T Williams

- I have not paid very close attention to F1 the past few years but is the "AT&T" the same as the communications corporation?  scratchchin 

Team US F1.

- I have always liked him, he had some good luck at IMS (re:1995 Indy 500)

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 16):
First they're debating about getting Danica into F1, now they're considering Jacques Villeneuve? I can take it if Danica decides to join the F1 circus,

- Danica is not going anywhere. She's going to stay in the IRL (the IRL probably does not want to lose her) and yes, she is hot!  checkmark 

We all know you don't like Kimi, which is fine

- Hey Bro, the ice that runs through Kimi's veins during the race is good, but couldn't he warm up a little bit to the World? I mean really, he could show a little emotion! Show the World that he is "Human!"

David
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

LTU932

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:47 am

Quoting Tiger119 (Reply 42):
How about the USGP? I would probably go to the race (again) if they would return to IMS. Look at all the money they put into the place just to have Bernie pull out because he does not like Indy.

Why not go somewhere else for the United States Grand Prix? Why not return to Laguna Seca or any of those closed street circuits that are used in Indycar? In any case, remember that next year, the Canada GP will likely be back.  Wink

Tiger119

Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:51 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 43):
In any case, remember that next year, the Canada GP will likely be back.

- Montreal? I could probably manage to go.

David
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

LTU932

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:27 am

Quoting Tiger119 (Reply 44):
Montreal?

AFAIK yes, Montreal.

bill142

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:39 am

- I have not paid very close attention to F1 the past few years but is the "AT&T" the same as the communications corporation?

Yes. They switched their focus to Williams after McLaren signed up Vodafone.

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 41):

Williams has decided not to run KERS next year.

Well there you go. I stand corrected. Shows how much attention I pay. I notice that Campos have joined FOTA as well.

sudden

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:29 am

Look at all the money they put into the place just to have Bernie pull out because he does not like Indy

And in a couple of years the same thing can probably be said about Yas Marina. If it's not because of Bernie, it will probably be some other reason. Already now teams and drivers, without actually saying straight out, don't like the place. And we sure know what most of us here feel about the place.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:55 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 47):

I'm wondering how long before Bahrain, China, Turkey and other races with low crowds get the boot in favour of green fields races in other parts of the world. Yet races like Melbourne are under continual threat of expulsion because they won't bow to Bernies demands. Clearly hosting rights are given to those who are willing to pay the exhobinant hosting fees charged by FOM rather than focusing on bring F1 to places where it's really wanted. And the ironic part is that the timing of the races is all around european television audiences.

Stealthz

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:06 am

I wonder how long before the F1 world realise that kowtowing to Bernie and racing at these palaces of excess in locations with almost zero interest in the actual racing is a losing proposition?
Bernie's persuit of the highest dollar is going to destroy F1, he knows it and he doesn't care.

I am not saying that F1 or FOM should operate as a charity, it is a business and the circuits involved should be expected to pay their way.

When will the sponsors realise that running at empty tracks in the middle of places that have no interest in motor racing is not a good return for their $$, despite the television audiences(which will fade away due to the mediocre racing and atmosphere anyway).

Certainly the local markets do not support the events(McLaren had to remove Johnny Walker branding in Abu Dhabi)

I believe Sudden is correct, within a couple of years the TilkeDomes will fade away as the circus realises the futility of trying to force a sport.. culture perhaps... on an unwilling populace.

Am not saying F1 is guilty of this on their own, the Australian V8Supercar series after 2 lacklustre events in Bahrain has replaced it's classic Adelaide season opening event with back to back events in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi where it is likely the best part of being a spectator is that you will probably know all the other spectators on a first name basis(but have difficulty buying a beer)

Cheers

PS Wonder how much of a contribution H Tilke makes to the Ecclestone pension fund?
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!