ly772

Israeli Navy Captures Hezbollah Bound Weapons

Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Wednesday morning local time, a ship carrying weapons to Hezbollah (apparently from Iran - according to Israeli News) was captured 100 miles west of Israel, near Cyprus and was towed into Ashdod Port.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/wo...eeast/05israel.html?_r=1&ref=world

The has been under watch since leaving it's home port and was captured without force by soldiers from "Shayetet 13".

Update: According to an official statement by the IDF, the crew of the ship had no knowledge that this is what they were carrying. The weapons were inside the containers and hidden. This is against UN Resolotion 1747.

On a very personal note, I love that not one international news company like CNN, BBC, Sky, or Fox are even mentioning this story...

[Edited 2009-11-04 06:45:59]

cedars747

RE: Israeli Navy Captures Hezbollah Bound Weapons

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:12 pm

Quoting LY772 (Thread starter):
Israeli Navy Captures Hezbollah Bound Weapons

Very sad news indeed .But how do they know it belongs to Hezbollah

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

BMI727

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:58 pm

On a very personal note, I love that not one international news company like CNN, BBC, Sky, or Fox are even mentioning this story...

Do Americans not get to see enough pro-Israeli propoganda?
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

oly720man

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:01 pm

They are now. Maybe taking the time to get the story sorted out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8341737.stm
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Aaron747

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:06 pm

They aren't carrying stories about the burgeoning relationship between Iraq and Iran courtesy of the US either, but who cares anyway??
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

jfk69

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):

Don't worry, I am sure if it was something Israel did wrong, the BBC would have been all over it.

SOBHI51

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:33 pm

This is against UN Resolotion 1747

And Israel always follows UN resolutions. This is not to defend Hezbollah but Israel is the last country to say anything about UN resolutions.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

cedars747

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:45 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 6):
And Israel always follows UN resolutions. This is not to defend Hezbollah but Israel is the last country to say anything about UN resolutions.

well said sobhi couldn't agree more !
If Israel cares about the UN resolution 1747 ,they should stop overflying Lebanese airspace

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

N537FX

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:24 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 1):

How is this sad news?? Any more weapons like the ones found on the ship could only do more harm to the region. If they ended up in Lebanon or Syria, because I bet their destination was somewhere in the area, they would probably be used in confrontations with Israel in future. As a result, this would once again harm the entire region.

cedars747

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:26 pm

Quoting N537FX (Reply 8):
How is this sad news

Sad news for peace ! I will spend Christmas in BEY

Alex!!!

SOBHI51

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 9):
I will spend Christmas in BEY

Will be there also.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

avi

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:13 pm

I love that not one international news company like CNN, BBC, Sky, or Fox are even mentioning this story...

I don't understand what you don't understand.
It is just weapons that suppose to kill Israeli civilians. What is the problem here?
If it was the other way around, …

The world's media doesn't report what is done to us so everybody are so surprise when we act to stop it.
Long live the B747

PanHAM

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:39 pm

it was on prime evening news ARD1 in Germany and they also showed footage of the weapons.

Very sad news indeed .But how do they know it belongs to Hezbollah

I don't understand either why this is sad news. Everyone except those punks who intend to use the weapons should be glad that Israel was successful in seizing the weapon containers.

One could have the impression that some people don't want peace in that area.
powered by Eierlikör

AirPacific747

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:42 pm

Quoting Avi (Reply 11):

Yep, not a single word about it in any media here.. but when it's the other way around, it is most often covered in the media. I wonder why this is?

cedars747

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:43 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 10):
Will be there also.

Good Sobhi ! BEY is amazing during Christmas,we could meet someday . By the way I hope nothing bad will happen in Lebanon ,sincerely we cant trust both Israelis and Hizbollah,they are simply two faces of the same coin

Alex!!!

cedars747

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 12):
I don't understand either why this is sad news.

Sad news for peace ! I will spend Christmas in BEY

Alex!!!

N537FX

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 15):
Sad news for peace !

What do you mean by this? Since these weapons were captured, that puts them out commission and now, they will not be used in an harmful way in Syria/Lebanon.

What would be your views if this cargo arrived at the destination safe and sound? How would that affect peace?

MaverickM11

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:04 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):

On a related note, why do we support either side? Why can't we just withdraw the funds to both sides, tell them they'll get it back when they've put together a realistic peace agreement, and go on about our lives? I don't understand why we keep spinning our wheels and spending on money on two groups that clearly have no desire to ever accomplish anything.
E pur si muove -Galileo

cedars747

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 17):
On a related note, why do we support either side? Why can't we just withdraw the funds to both sides

AMAZING MAVERICK ...I back that  bigthumbsup 

Alex!!!

BMI727

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 pm

On a related note, why do we support either side?

It started partly as an outgrowth of the Cold War. The Soviets propped up the Arabs and we helped the Israelis to ensure that we had an ally in the region and keep the balance of power in check.

And now, we arm both sides. The Egyptians, Jordanians, and Saudis all have plenty of American weapons at their disposal. This continues to keep the balance of power slightly in favor or Israel, but practically guarantees that any war between Israel and the Arabs will not be a rout one way or the other. The prospect of a protracted war makes an invasion from either side much less appealing.

Furthermore, we have the issue of stockpiles. Each side has only a limited amount of arms at their disposal. Essentially, nobody can wage a war longer than a few months at most without US approval.

Why can't we just withdraw the funds to both sides, tell them they'll get it back when they've put together a realistic peace agreement, and go on about our lives?

Doing that risks having one side gain a decisive advantage and start a war.

I don't understand why we keep spinning our wheels and spending on money on two groups that clearly have no desire to ever accomplish anything.

Because spinning our wheels is a more attractive option versus having a war. For one thing, spinning our wheels doesn't make gas prices go up.

cedars747

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Quoting N537FX (Reply 16):
What do you mean by this? Since these weapons were captured, that puts them out commission and now, they will not be used in an harmful way in Syria/Lebanon.

OK ...than it's good news

The timing to point out the Israeli annoucement is very interesting
The Israeli army chose to hold a press conference exactly the same time as the UN General Assembly was beginnning its debate on the Goldstone report .
Alex!!!

[Edited 2009-11-04 13:37:23 by cedars747]

avi

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 20):
The timing to point out the Israeli annoucement is very interesting
The Israeli army chose to hold a press conference exactly the same time as the UN General Assembly was beginnning its debate on the Goldstone report .

The timing of the press conference was set by the timing of the ship capture (last night) which was set by the ship location. Nothing else.
But it is interesting. When the UN debate Israel's war against terror (to condemn it), the terrorists are getting more and more armed and with this kind of a report, why not?
Long live the B747

QANTAS077

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:35 pm

Quoting Avi (Reply 11):
The world's media doesn't report what is done to us so everybody are so surprise when we act to stop it.

stop acting like a victim, try living in a refugee camp your entire life and then you might have something to complain about, you can't even put a Palestinian flag up on this website, be thankful that you can at least put your flag up on here.

BMI727

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:40 pm

Quoting Avi (Reply 11):

And the Israelis have never, ever even thought about doing something that is legally or morally questionable?  Yeah sure I am not supporting the terrorist acts perpetrated by the Palestinians, but to portray the Israelis as nothing more than innocent victims is not even close to the truth.

N537FX

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 22):
refugee camp

How come Israel was able to absorb and properly take of Jewish refugees? Why can't Arab states handle such an issue properly? With all the money of oil rich nations, and so called "Arab brotherhood" or "Palestinian support" from Arab countries on the whole, why haven't they over past decades done more to improve life in these refugee camps? Supporting the Palestinians is a top priority for the Arab world, however, their "support" does not seem to show. If Israel, with little money and resources in 1948 could take care of a refugee population, Arab countries can do the same.

TheCol

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 6):

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 7):

Do you honestly think Hezbollah will drop their weapons and embrace democracy if Israel settles their issues with Lebanon? Iran is arming and using Hezbollah to fight a proxy war, which makes their true agenda very clear. Those weapons were not only intended for Israel, but they were also intended for use inside Lebanon as well.

The cat is out of the bag. Iran has no intention of playing nice with the IAEA or anybody else.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:07 am

not one international news company like CNN, BBC, Sky, or Fox are even mentioning this story...

Are you really wondering why ? The editors considered some points :
- is the story really correct ?
- who says that the weaponry really was for Hizbullah ?
- who says that there really were ANY weapons on board before Haifa arrival ?
- why didn't Israel not invite the int'l media to meet the captured ship in Haifa ?
-
and so rather tried to avoid a "press duck".

ME AVN FAN

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:24 am

Quoting N537FX (Reply 8):
How is this sad news?? Any more weapons like the ones found on the ship could only do more harm to the region. If they ended up in Lebanon or Syria, because I bet their destination was somewhere in the area, they would probably be used in confrontations with Israel in future. As a result, this would once again harm the entire region.

A) if the stuff really was for Hizbullah, it is not sad
B) if the stuff was for the Lebanese army or the Syrian army, it would be piracy
C) "somewhere in the area" is not an acceptable criteria
D) "somewhere in the area" but not with Hizbullah would not harm the region
E) the regular armed forces in the area do not depend on such routings -- back to pt A)
-
and now, what is the positive conclusion of the affair ? It is that the Lebanese army and the UN forces apparently quite sucessfully broke the previous supply route of the Iranians via Damascus Airport via Lebanese territory to H.-dominated areas. So that supplies have to be routed via the seas.

and if the story is correct, what is the positive conclusion nr 2 ? That the Israelis apparently have established an information-network able to keep up on such ventures.

End of the story ? I hope that it was not a fake ................

QANTAS077

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:26 am

Quoting N537FX (Reply 24):
How come Israel was able to absorb and properly take of Jewish refugees?

because they do this...

Palestinian Homes Destroyed By Israeli Police (by N1120A Nov 1 2009 in Non Aviation)

seems odd to me that Iran would send weapons on a route that they know would be subject to Israeli naval inspection.

[Edited 2009-11-04 16:27:40]

avi

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:33 am

stop acting like a victim

The kids of Sederot were victims. For six years we let the Palestinian fire on them thousands of rockets and we didn't stop it.
If the world's media was reported everyday about every rocket and show the impossible situation these kids lived in, the world was not asking when we started the campaign in Gaza why we are doing it but why we waited so long. I want to see just one country in the world that let some of its citizen to live with thousands of rocket on their head and won't do anything to stop it.

try living in a refugee camp your entire life and then you might have something to complain about,

What do you think we didn't have refugees?
When Israel was just born and the gates opened, tens of thousand Jew refugees came from Europe and Arab countries to Israel. Where do you think they lived?
Do you think we had houses to any of them?
They lived in a refugee camps (not that we called it that name but this is what it was).

Today you can't see Israeli refugees? Why? Because we rehabbed everybody.

Why didn't the Palestinians do the same?
Why nothing was done before we even enter the West Bank and Gaza strip (we didn't always been there).
Do you want to tell me it wasn't Jordan / Egypt job? Fine, I have no problems with that.
Let's move on. We entered in 1967 and since we are evil we didn't do it too.
But in 1993 the Palestinians Authority was created. Israel withdrew from any populated area in the GS and with the years also from most of the WB. Why not a single Palestinian was rehabbed now? NOT A SINGLE ONE.
Who fault is that? Do you know how much money the PA received exactly for that purpose? How come Arafat's widow is so rich? At some point the donor countries started to ask where the money is and when they didn't get an answer, the money flow stopped. Who fault is that?

The simple Palestinian man probably didn't choose it for himself but his leaders (PLO and Hamas) did do it and this is his problem, not mine. This is their choice to keep living like that (and allow me to remind you that Israel completely withdrew from Gaza more than 4 years ago). If it gets better, who will care? This is how they sell themselves. They don't really have a reason to get things better.
Long live the B747

BMI727

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:49 am

Quoting Avi (Reply 29):
For six years we let the Palestinian fire on them thousands of rockets and we didn't stop it.

...and absolutely everyone who lost their life or their home to the Israelis was a hardcore terrorist. Yeah, we know and the American media tells us every day.

Quoting Avi (Reply 29):
When Israel was just born and the gates opened, tens of thousand Jew refugees came from Europe and Arab countries to Israel. Where do you think they lived?

...on land they took from the Arabs that had been living there?

Quoting Avi (Reply 29):
Do you think we had houses to any of them?

No, you destroyed the houses.

QANTAS077

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:13 am

Quoting Avi (Reply 29):
This is their choice to keep living like that (and allow me to remind you that Israel completely withdrew from Gaza more than 4 years ago).

remind me again who controls the incoming and outgoings of Gaza...

Quoting Avi (Reply 29):
do you think we didn't have refugees?

you really want to go here?

Quoting Avi (Reply 29):
Where do you think they lived?

let me guess, they built their own houses? I hope you can detect sarcasm...

Quoting Avi (Reply 29):
Today you can't see Israeli refugees? Why? Because we rehabbed everybody.

mainly in other peoples houses, tell the full story about the settlements instead of glossing over...why didn't you mention the thousands of Jews who were living in Gaza for 38 years in illegal settlements? 38 years is a half-lifetime.

Quoting Avi (Reply 29):
The kids of Sederot were victims. For six years we let the Palestinian fire on them thousands of rockets and we didn't stop it.

for um-teen years the people who were firing at the kids of Serdot were prisoners too, you reap what you sew, its unfortunate but true.

avi

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:37 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 31):
remind me again who controls the incoming and outgoings of Gaza...

To Egypt it is not us.

let me guess, they built their own houses?

Yes, they came and an hour latter they built their homes (before sunset). They lived for many years in a tin houses. A "house" you didn't want to live in, summer or winter.

mainly in other peoples houses, tell the full story about the settlements instead of glossing over...

No, we rehab them long time before that (but keep fool yourself).

for um-teen years the people who were firing at the kids of Serdot were prisoners too,

Nice to see you can find excuses for that firing.
Long live the B747

TheCol

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 am

I have yet to see some constructive comments from the usual individuals that wouldn't mind if Israel suddenly disappeared. Last time I checked, there was already a thread about the Palestinians.

Oh, and this story has been picked up by the entire mainstream media now.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 19):
The Egyptians, Jordanians, and Saudis all have plenty of American weapons at their disposal.

They also buy from the Russians and the Chinese.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 19):
This continues to keep the balance of power slightly in favor or Israel

They have their own interests to protect (themselves), rather than worrying about Israel or NATO. This is a totally different ball game now. The extremists are gunning for every country in the Middle East that isn't run by Mullahs.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 27):
B) if the stuff was for the Lebanese army or the Syrian army, it would be piracy

A. Neither countries claimed that it was
B. When did Iran suddenly start backing the Lebanese government?
C. Why would the weapons have to be smuggled if they were legit sales?
D. Iran sells weapons to Syria on a regular basis, without any difficulties.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 28):
seems odd to me that Iran would send weapons on a route that they know would be subject to Israeli naval inspection.

What makes you think this was the first time? I doubt any land route is safe, given that Israel has no problem conducting airstrikes anywhere they want.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

PanHAM

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:54 am

There's another aspect to this, if that was a legitimate arms transport for a legitimate army, like Syria, the arms would not have been transported on a commercial ship in regular sea containers declared at "freight all kinds" or whatever the smugglers declared to the shipping line,"machinery parts" is very a popular mis-declaration.

Missiles and other arms are dangerous goods and have to be declared as such. Only vessels and companies with special permits can carry such shipments legally. If I were the Captain of that ship, or the vesssels owner, I would have some nice talk not only with the ships agents but also with customs and port authoritis at the port of loading.

Good to see that Israels intelligence services did a splendid job on surveilling this transport.

And, if I were Lebanese, I would congratulate them as well, because Israel spoiled an arms deal between a criminal government and a band of terrorists in south Lebanon, or Gaza, wherever that was bound.