stratosphere

Lou Dobbs Resigns From CNN

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:16 am

Lou Dobbs one of my favorite commentators resigned from CNN tonight..He says he will have plans for the future...I have to say I know he some critics but I really have enjoyed his broadcasts he will be missed by me atleast...Hope he has another venue.

NIKV69

RE: Lou Dobbs Resigns From CNN

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:30 am

He is headed to FOX!  biggrin 
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

N1120A

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:37 am

Dobbs went off the deep end about 5 years ago. I am shocked it took this long.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
He is headed to FOX!

Like that was unexpected
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

N1120A

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:43 am

Let me add something. I often agreed with Dobbs on straight economic policy. The problem with Dobbs is that he got absolutely obsessed with immigration to the point that he opened his show to known white supremacists and threw out all vestiges of journalistic and intellectual honesty and integrity.

Falcon84

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:43 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):
Dobbs went off the deep end about 5 years ago. I am shocked it took this long.

He is headed to FOX!

Actually, he'll do that when he heads to FOX, with all the other newspeople who got tired of not being able to root for conservatism at other networks.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Falcon84

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:45 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 3):
The problem with Dobbs is that he got absolutely obsessed with immigration to the point that he opened his show to known white supremacists and threw out all vestiges of journalistic and intellectual honesty and integrity.

He'll fit in perfectly at FOX, then. Intellectual honesty and integrity don't even exist at that network.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N1120A

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:47 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 4):
Actually, he'll do that when he heads to FOX, with all the other newspeople who got tired of not being able to root for conservatism at other networks.

Dobbs at one point was an actual conservative, unlike the vast majority of those pseudo-conservatives at FOX. The sad thing is that Lou will be an improvement over there.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 5):

He'll fit in perfectly at FOX, then. Intellectual honesty and integrity don't even exist at that network.

No argument from me.

NIKV69

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:50 am

Root for? Hell at CNN you have to be a cheerleader for the DNC.  biggrin 

Intellectual honesty and integrity don't even exist at that network

Oh yea CNN was full of that. Just bring out Carville for some good ol spewing of that left wing hatred. Pretty honest and just full of integrity.

Falcon84

Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:59 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 7):

Root for? Hell at CNN you have to be a cheerleader for the DNC.

Hardly. They don't openly cheer like they do at FOX. There's not even a pretense of fairness at that network. I think conservatives want to believe the other networks are like FOX in that regard, but the other's aren't, with the exception of MSNBC, who is about as openly for hte Dems as FOX is for the GOP.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Ken777

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:09 am

Just bring out Carville for some good ol spewing of that left wing hatred.

It seems to me that when CNN brings out Carville they also have a conservative. Sometimes Carville's wife joins him on the show. Who's calling Mary a liberal?  Smile

Fly2HMO

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:10 am

Good riddance. He was amongst THE most annoying TV personalities ever.

Falcon84

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:15 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 9):
Just bring out Carville for some good ol spewing of that left wing hatred.

It seems to me that when CNN brings out Carville they also have a conservative. Sometimes Carville's wife joins him on the show. Who's calling Mary a liberal?

And Mary's a real conservative, unlike that hack Colmes that Sean had as his "Who's Your Daddy" sidekick for all those years.
Work Right, Fly Hard

LTU932

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:25 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 3):
The problem with Dobbs is that he got absolutely obsessed with immigration

Agreed. This is why I've been so critical about him. Sure, illegal immigration is something that needs to be urgently resolved in any country, but being obsessed with that is simply not the answer.

That being said, I wonder if he'll take Kitty Pilgrim with him to FOX News as well. She did seem to be in line with Dobbs's opinion in basically everything, correct me if I'm wrong though. Also, isn't this the second time he's leaving CNN? I recall he used to have some kind of space venture but then he returned after a while.

STT757

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:27 am

Lou's stance on immigration is something that I actually agreed with him on, the other stuff I didn't pay too much attention. He was right about the need to secure our (US) borders.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Falcon84

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:31 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 13):
He was right about the need to secure our (US) borders.

Yes, on the anniversary of the destruction of the Berlin Wall, let's celebrate closing off our borders.  Yeah sure

I guess, from reading some stuff online, Lou's also a big believer in the "Birther" movement-those crackpots who keep saying Obama isn't an American. So, again, he fits right in at FOX on another level.
Work Right, Fly Hard

sw733

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 am

Man I can't stand Lou Dobbs...this makes CNN a lot less painful for me to watch!

He is headed to FOX!

Has happened before. Greta van Susteren was with CNN before Fox, Bill Hemmer too. These people, in the end, are entertainers...they will go where the ratings are highest and the money is highest, and change their "views" to suit.

WarRI1

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:38 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 13):
Lou's stance on immigration is something that I actually agreed with him on, the other stuff I didn't pay too much attention. He was right about the need to secure our (US) borders.

He sure as hell was and is correct about illegal immigration and our borders.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

WarRI1

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:43 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 14):
Yes, on the anniversary of the destruction of the Berlin Wall, let's celebrate closing off our borders.

And what has that got to do with us being over run with illegal immigrants? That was Germany, a divided nation at the time.

N1120A

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:46 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 12):
Agreed. This is why I've been so critical about him. Sure, illegal immigration is something that needs to be urgently resolved in any country, but being obsessed with that is simply not the answer.

Not to mention the fact that he completely ignored the economic suicide that an immediate purge of illegal immigrants would bring about.

Quoting SW733 (Reply 15):
Greta van Susteren was with CNN before Fox,

Lets not forget to add: "after extensive plastic surgery"

These people, in the end, are entertainers...they will go where the ratings are highest and the money is highest, and change their "views" to suit.

Not really. Van Susteren and Hemmer are both right wingers. Greta is a better reporter, and her reason for going to FOX had more to do with the huge contract they gave her.

Falcon84

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:48 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 17):
Yes, on the anniversary of the destruction of the Berlin Wall, let's celebrate closing off our borders.

And what has that got to do with us being over run with illegal immigrants? That was Germany, a divided nation at the time.

You don't see the irony about discussing a FREE NATION closing off it's borders around the time the world celebrates the fall of the greatest people-divider of all time?

Uh, OK.
Work Right, Fly Hard

NIKV69

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:55 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 8):
Hardly. They don't openly cheer like they do at FOX.

Do you even watch CNN?  confused 

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 9):
It seems to me that when CNN brings out Carville they also have a conservative. Sometimes Carville's wife joins him on the show. Who's calling Mary a liberal?

Yea but does the conservativel get a word in edgewise? Most of his exchanges are him yelling and spewing his far left hatred and the only reason he doesn't do it to Mary is because she is the only female on this planet who will have sex with him.

Aeroflot001

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:57 am

My leadership teacher from last year must be jumping for joy. I heard her say something about him and then I asked her if she watched the show and she said "Are you kidding that guy is a rascist who always talks about immigration and wants every Mexican out" Ive never watched his show so I wouldnt know.

I did however hear the beggining several times and when flipping channels would head to CNN and hear his announcer. It sounded like if he was worshipping the guy. And now back to the amazing lou Dobbs a true american unbiased or something of that nature.

N1120A

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:58 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 20):
spewing his far left hatred

LMAO. Are you talking about James Carville? The DLC guy? Nothing "far left" about him.

Do you even watch CNN?

I am sure he does. Incidentally, CNN only recently became less blatantly right wing.

Falcon84

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:00 am

Hardly. They don't openly cheer like they do at FOX.

Do you even watch CNN?

I don't watch much news on TV. I read most of my news. But when I do watch it, there's no doubt in my mind that FOX is far more biased to the right than CNN is to the left. It isn't even close.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
, CNN only recently became less blatantly right wing.

I gotta call you on that one. I have never seen CNN as blatantly right-wing. Never. They are a more liberal source, but they certainly aren't the cheerleaders for the left that FOX is for the right.
Work Right, Fly Hard

WarRI1

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:04 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 19):
You don't see the irony about discussing a FREE NATION closing off it's borders around the time the world celebrates the fall of the greatest people-divider of all time?

Uh, OK.

That was a great blow for freedom for the suppressed in Germany. The greatest happening since the end of WW2. It has nothing whatsoever to do with illegal immigration in the USA. We are paying a great price in this country because of it. Socially and economically. We all know the benefits of illegal immigration, cheap labor. Along with that comes billions in expenses to support the drain on our social services. Health services, and educational facilities.

N1120A

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:05 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 23):
I gotta call you on that one. I have never seen CNN as blatantly right-wing. Never. They are a more liberal source, but they certainly aren't the cheerleaders for the left that FOX is for the right.

The 5 years between the 2000 election and Katrina were terrible. CNN was little better than FOX.

CometII

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:07 am

Root for? Hell at CNN you have to be a cheerleader for the DNC

I just don't get the conservative gripe with CNN. Why lump them with MSNBC, NBC, CBS? I would agree those networks slant left heavily, MSBNC openly just as FOX pushes the right wing viewpoint.

CNN, I find, to be at least to some degree quite centrist. They are perhaps very PC, which tends to favor liberals, but they cover stories that could be seen as conservative flag standards.

STT757

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:28 am

Falcon are you going to compare West and East Germany to the United States and Mexico?.. Come on, I usually am right behind you on these debates but even you have to admit that's not a comparison even worth making.

N1120A

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:47 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 27):

Falcon are you going to compare West and East Germany to the United States and Mexico?.. Come on, I usually am right behind you on these debates but even you have to admit that's not a comparison even worth making.

That isn't the comparison he is really making. Look deeper.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:54 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 19):

I see a difference between a wall built to keep people in versus one to keep people out. And securing our borders and controlling immigration into the country has nothing to do with the Berlin Wall. I don't disagree that our immigration policies should be easier, but we as a country have every right to know who is entering the country.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

STT757

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:55 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 29):
difference between a wall built to keep people in versus one to keep people out

as a country have every right to know who is entering the country.

Thanks.

WarRI1

Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:59 am

see a difference between a wall built to keep people in versus one to keep people out. And securing our borders and controlling immigration into the country has nothing to do with the Berlin Wall. I don't disagree that our immigration policies should be easier, but we as a country have every right to know who is entering the country.

"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

That is it in a nutshell. One has nothing to do with the other.

Mir

Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:58 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
Dobbs at one point was an actual conservative, unlike the vast majority of those pseudo-conservatives at FOX. The sad thing is that Lou will be an improvement over there.

Were it the old Lou, I'd agree. But if he goes to FOX, Glen Beck is going to have a new crazy rant partner on the network, and I'd be hard pressed to say that it would be an improvement. Talk about a guy utterly consumed by one issue.

I guess FOX will have to cut back on their news programming to fit him in.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ABQ747

Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:23 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Thread starter):
Lou Dobbs one of my favorite commentators resigned from CNN tonight..

CNN is a sinking ship. It's no surprise he would want to bail out of there before their viewership numbers collapse even more.

He is headed to FOX!

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/11/...n-could-fox-news-be-in-his-future/
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

connies4ever

Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:36 am

Oh yea CNN was full of that. Just bring out Carville for some good ol spewing of that left wing hatred. Pretty honest and just full of integrity.

At least when CNN trots out Carville he is often balanced by his arch-conservative wife Mary Matalin.

As for Dobbs, good riddance to bad rubbish, a seriously ethically challenged person, IMHO. Likely to either a) pop up at FOXM, or b) (I hope) start an 'Independant party' that will go down in flames.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ltbewr

Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:22 pm

While it could be a personal matter causing him to leave CNN (his or his wife's health, tired of a long commute - over 65 miles and maybe 1 1/2 hours each way for example), to me it is beacuse he reached the point of hubris, of having excessive pride and arrogance. His very severe views on the subject of illegal immigration, his support of the 'birthers' and the TEA party groups all were causing a drop in his CNN ratings. The final blow could be the claims that bullets that hit his house were part of attacks on him or his wife, when it was no doubt hunter's stray bullets (he lives in a rural area of New Jersey).
He is for now keeping his radio show, hanging out with the other right winders there like Rush. There are suggestions that he may run for political office as some kind of independent-populist canidate. He could get involved with some other anti-immigrat or TEA or conservative populists groups. That meant he could no longer be on CNN. Maybe too his CNN bosses and got fed up with dropping ratings for his show, pressure from advertisers and interest groups opposed to his critical views so no longer felt wanted there.
No matter what - good riddance. Now let us get Glenn Beck off too!

Starbuk7

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Hardly. They don't openly cheer like they do at FOX. There's not even a pretense of fairness at that network. I think conservatives want to believe the other networks are like FOX in that regard, but the other's aren't, with the exception of MSNBC, who is about as openly for hte Dems as FOX is for the GOP.

An yet in another thread you admitted that you don't even watch FOX, so how can you comment on what happens on the network that you never watch??????

Ken777

Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:56 pm

John King is to take Lou's place, announced this morning. King has a Sunday morning show and is focused on actual news.

I'll be giving King a try to see if we get straight news without opinionated BS.

mayor

Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:47 pm

Intellectual honesty and integrity don't even exist at that network.

You mean like it does at MSNBC?  Yeah sure

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 35):
when it was no doubt hunter's stray bullets (he lives in a rural area of New Jersey).

Yeah, I've often mistaken a very large house for a whitetail deer.  Wink

Quoting N1120A (Reply 18):
Not to mention the fact that he completely ignored the economic suicide that an immediate purge of illegal immigrants would bring about.

As opposed to the economic suicide that illegal immigration is causing now? Where do you propose that the money is to come from to furnish services to the illegal immigrants we have now? California couldn't find it and they're bankrupt.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

N1120A

Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Quoting Mayor (Reply 38):

As opposed to the economic suicide that illegal immigration is causing now? Where do you propose that the money is to come from to furnish services to the illegal immigrants we have now?

Um, the economic benefits of illegal immigrants far outweigh any drain they may have.

Quoting Mayor (Reply 38):
California couldn't find it and they're bankrupt.

California's money issues have nothing to do with immigration. They have everything to do with all the money we give to the rest of this country and our royally screwed up budget process.

JFKMan

Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:13 pm

He is headed to FOX!

It is very sad that all Conservatives are being forced off all networks other than Fox.

What a media...what a country.
AA - LGA

EA772LR

Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:14 pm

Maybe he'll just fit right in with others who share his viewpoints.  Smile

Oh my Lord! That's hilarious  rotfl  Because we all know how intellectual and honest ABC/CBS/NBC/MSNBC/CNN are... rotfl  It's no wonder FOX NEWS' rating are so much higher than the other networks.

MSNBC, who is about as openly for the Dems

checkmark  See, it's the double standard that gets me. Why don't liberals complain about the sickening display of affection for Obama that happens on MSNBC daily?? Is it only ok for a network to carry a bias when it works for the liberals??

they will go where the ratings are highest and the money is highest, and change their "views" to suit.

I think it's pretty evident that many commentators on FOX NEWS are conservative in their beliefs. Nobody "changed their views" when they came to FOX NEWS.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 16):
He sure as hell was and is correct about illegal immigration and our borders.

checkmark 

Quoting N1120A (Reply 18):

Well then, if it's ok to come here illegally and stay here, then we have no law, and the government has no right to pursue any criminal. Can't have it both ways.

Quoting CometII (Reply 26):
They are perhaps very PC, which tends to favor liberals, but they cover stories that could be seen as conservative flag standards.

checkmark  I agree. I think MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS have taken over as the leading liberal outlets.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

stratosphere

Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:48 pm

[quote=N1120A,reply=39]Um, the economic benefits of illegal immigrants far outweigh any drain they may have.

Ah..are you for real????

N1120A

Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 42):

Ah..are you for real????

Did I insert some sort of smiley?

mayor

Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
Um, the economic benefits of illegal immigrants far outweigh any drain they may have.

MAY HAVE?? Are you serious. You don't think that illegal immigration causes a huge drain on the government and the taxpayer? That the benefits they get without being taxpayers doesn't tax the governments' abilities to provide these services?

Would you or I be able to move to another country and live there, as they do here, as in illegal immigrant? I don't think so.......most other countries do a much better job of policing it than we do.

Now, I'm all for hefty fines against the companies, here in the US, that openly recruit workers, primarily south of the border. I mean, make it financially useless to do such a thing.

Ok, back on topic.........is Lou Dobbs going to Fox, for sure? The article I read, yesterday, didn't mention it as a done deal.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

LTU932

Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:32 pm

To me, the issue is two-fold: On one hand, illegal immigrants are a cheap source of labour. They indirectly help the economy by keeping production costs low, as their "employers" don't even have to pay any benefits (e.g. no retirement fund, no healthcare, etc.). Illegal immigrants are desperate, so they will do things that legal residents and citizens would usually not even think about doing (all at the expense of having no legal protection). On the other hand, because of illegal immigration, legal residents and citizens may have problems getting jobs that illegal aliens can do just as well, because they'd simply be too expensive. Plus illegal immigrants do get indirectly benefits that cost millions of dollars of taxpayer money, all for free. This can also cause that legal aliens and citizens become a strain on the welfare system.

Here in Costa Rica, Social Security has collapsed because of the high influx of illegal aliens from Nicaragua coming for medical attention. While medical tourism, which some Americans tend to do, at least brings some money, illegal immigrants have to go to the very Social Security institions (e.g. small medical practices, clinics, hospitals) that Costa Ricans fund with the compulsory 9% tax that gets deducted from their salary. Because of that and other reasons, Social Security has become broke in Costa Rica, unreliable and overcrowded. My doctor, who used to practice in a clinic from Social Security before opening her private practice, has experienced this first hand for herself. There were so many Nicaraguans with suspicious immigration status flocking to the clinic, it's no longer funny. And while the government is trying to close backdoors to marriages that are only done to become legal in this country (because of crime problems from known criminals that come to Costa Rica from e.g. Jamaica), the situation with Nicaraguan illegal immigrants is not resolved at all! They only get many amnesties (despite not having even asked formally for asylum) and if lucky, they get a greencard, instead of being deported back.

I'm an immigrant son myself. My father came legally as a guest worker from Italy to Germany, eventually got a permanent resident status and, two years before I was born, he became a German citizen. And I believe that, while avoiding paranoia about terrorism and illegal labour and security the borders, there have to be strict immigration measures for countries that are known to have lots of people coming to e.g. Germany or the US illegally. Establish a guest worker programme (with an option for a permanent greencard and eventual citizenship) if you wish, but give that chance only to those who want to come, not to those who are already there illegally.

mayor

Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:41 pm

Some of us are labeled as "racist" if we say we're against illegal immigration. Somehow, those that accuse us seem to think we're talking about ALL immigration, but, we're not. Except for the Native Americans, EVERYONE here is from immigrant stock. Mine, came from Ireland in the 1700s, my wife's from Greece in the early part of the 20th century.

I'm all for LEGAL immigration and someone either being a "guest worker" or becoming a naturalized citizen. Nothing wrong with that.

Yellowstone

Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 45):
Here in Costa Rica, Social Security has collapsed because of the high influx of illegal aliens from Nicaragua coming for medical attention.

This has little to nothing to do with the situation in the US. Illegal aliens don't come here for medical attention, they come here to work. And through that work, they provide an economic benefit to the US that outweighs their consumption of social services. Also keep in mind that illegal aliens do pay taxes--they pay sales tax on the goods they buy, and if they presented false documents to their employers they also have Social Security money withheld from their paychecks that they will never receive in benefits.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

LTU932

Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:26 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 47):
This has little to nothing to do with the situation in the US. Illegal aliens don't come here for medical attention, they come here to work.

I was just elaborating on what royal mess illegal aliens can do. Here in Costa Rica, they also come primarily to work, to work in jobs that no Costa Rican or legal alien would think of doing at all. However, because they are so many and given that the healthcare system is basically a free-for-all system, even for those who don't pay the 9% tax. I say reward those who are there legally, not illegal aliens.

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 47):
illegal aliens do pay taxes--they pay sales tax on the goods they buy

And do they also pay their taxes to the IRS? If not, then it doesn't matter how much sales taxes they pay.

Aaron747

Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:28 am

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 33):
CNN is a sinking ship. It's no surprise he would want to bail out of there before their viewership numbers collapse even more.

Proof? Evidence?

Domestic US viewership may be declining but internationally CNN performs quite well. Find me a major hotel in any foreign capital that doesn't have CNN International (which is altogether a rather different network than CNN US) - they have incredible market penetration and capture overseas.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty