wardialer

Root Beer In Europe?

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 am

Just wondering why there is no root beer in Europe?
Can anyone explain this please?

Thx.

kiwiandrew

RE: Root Beer In Europe?

Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:58 am

Because Europe , unlike North America , actually produces drinkable beer ?  duck 

afterburner

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:10 am

I just did a quick search in Google and find this thread on flyertalk.com. Apparently in UK you can find root beer in A&W restaurants and in Sainsbury's and Asda supermarkets.

AirPacific747

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:33 am

I've been able to buy A&W root beer in a danish supermarket recently. Something that I really miss from my time in Canada! I don't know if it was a limited offer though.

TransIsland

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:03 pm

When I lived in Berlin, I ignored root beer in the shelves of many a supermarket. However, it was usually not in the drinks & sodas aisle, but in the "ethnic" section.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

andaman

Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:37 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 4):
it was usually not in the drinks & sodas aisle, but in the "ethnic" section.

Yes same in Finland. Marshmallow and peanut butter are a bit more common, but still 'foreign specialties'. It's a lot easier to find Greek or Thai food, I think it's mostly about where people travel for their holidays.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

ajd1992

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:43 pm

You can get it, it's just not very common.

Plus it tastes like crap anyway, so it's no wonder we don't sell it  Wink For people from the UK who haven't tasted it, think liquid germoline that's coke coloured...

mayor

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:59 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 6):
Plus it tastes like crap anyway, so it's no wonder we don't sell it

All a matter of taste, I guess. Maybe your taste buds have been dulled from too much beer!  Wink
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Sabena332

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 4):
However, it was usually not in the drinks & sodas aisle, but in the "ethnic" section.

That's right. Here in Germany you can get root beer in some "premium supermarkets" like Kaiser's or Rewe (at least here in my hometown). My local gas station also sells A&W Root Beer among other American sodas like Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew (but the German version of Mountain Dew sucks big time, it tastes completely different compared to the American version).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ACDC8

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:35 pm

When the Centro shopping center in Oberhausen opened up in 1996, I remember they had this small American shop in that little bazzar area before you walk into the food court. They had various US food products such as A&W Root Beer, Dr.Pepper, Duncan Hines cake mixes, Pop Tarts all at nice and high prices. Needless to say, the store lasted maybe a year. I also got my friends there to try root beer to see if they liked it, most just thought it was gross and said it tasted like what you get at the dentist ..... LOL!

The MiniMal (don't even know if they even exist anymore) supermarket chain would have "American Weeks" everyonce in a while where they'd sell the usual stuff like peanut butter, marshmallows, Doritios, root beer, Dr.Pepper, Pop Tarts, etc. Other wise most grocery stores like Rewe or Real do sell some products like peanut butter, but not American peanut butter.

Ceaser dressing is another thing that is damn near impossible to find in Germany. Real carried it for a while, but then it sadly disappeared. Hard to have pasta with out ceaser salad  Smile

WalMart carried Kraft Mac & Cheese, but at €2.50 a box, it was a luxury ..... LOL!

Fortunatly, I lived a fairly short distance away from the Dutch border, and they've always carried more variety of US brands and foods. So a bag full of comfort groceries was never more than a short drive away  Smile
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Aeri28

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:21 am

There are several different brands of Root Beer. they do not all taste alike. Root Beer is one soda that should not be served with ice, but rather should b e served very very cold in a glass. I love Root Beer. When I lived in San Francisco, there were 2 downtown, one where the carls jr is now located on Cyril Magnin st and Market (near Powell) and the other on Sutter St between powell and stockton. They are long gone . Here in Hawaii, only one I can think of in Mililani. Smack in the middle of the island. None in Honolulu.

A&W restaurants take me way back to my childhood with the mama burger, papa burgers, baby burgers etc. and the iced mug. (off topic I know.. Im reminiscing).

PanHAM

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:38 am

Because, we have much better taste tha Americans and don't have to drink that crap.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 8):

That's right. Here in Germany you can get root beer in some "premium supermarkets" like Kaiser's or Rewe (at least here in my hometown). My local gas station also sells A&W Root Beer among other American so

Tengelmann Group, who owns Kaisers, also owns A&W in the US and usually sells their no name products under A&W.

Root beer reminds me back to a Sunday in a steak house in SC when I ordered a beer with my steak and the waitress said that there is no alc on Sundays. I said, fine with me, give me a non alcoholic beer, sorry she said,m there is some alcohol in that so it's prohibited on Sundays as well and offered root beer.

I settled for mineral water instead and will never ever eat out on Sundays in a dry state again. Even Saudi Arabia sells non alc beer and you rather drown before you get drunk on that.
powered by Eierlikör

Sabena332

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 11):
Tengelmann Group, who owns Kaisers, also owns A&W in the US and usually sells their no name products under A&W.

You confused A&W with A&P. Kaiser's sells their no-name products under A&P.

Root beer reminds me back to a Sunday in a steak house in SC when I ordered a beer with my steak and the waitress said that there is no alc on Sundays.

I made a similar experience in California back in June of 1999. I arrived in San Francisco at 3:30AM after a 24 hour flight odyssey from DUS via BRU and ATL. All I wanted was an ice cold beer but the guy in the liquor store told me that he is not allowed to sell alcoholic drinks after 3:00AM. I asked if he wants to kid me but he said that he was death serious. Fortunately I had two cans of German beer in my backpack, so I sat on the parking lot in front of my motel room at 4:00AM and drunk German Kronen Pils. Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

PanHAM

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 12):
You confused A&W with A&P. Kaiser's sells their no-name products under A&P.

you'r right. That comes from shopping at REWE recently because our local Tengelmann is just awful.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 12):
o I sat on the parking lot in front of my motel room at 4:00AM and drunk German Kronen Pils. Big grin

...and you're lucky that no cop saw you doing that.... Big grin

My first experience when i moved to NY and got settled in my Kew Gardens appartment, I went out on Sunday morning to the corner store and put a 6pack on the cashier belt, she put it down without saying anything, I put it on back and then she told me _No beer on Sunday mornings.

At least, in liberal NY, I could shop for beer in the afternoon.
powered by Eierlikör

yooyoo

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 8):
(but the German version of Mountain Dew sucks big time, it tastes completely different compared to the American version).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skurheg3P6I&feature=player_embedded#

rotfl 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Sabena332

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 13):
That comes from shopping at REWE recently because our local Tengelmann is just awful.

Count me in as a Rewe fan as well, I just stopped there on the way home from work to buy some stuff.

...and you're lucky that no cop saw you doing that....

I know but the risk getting caught was pretty low, it was in the middle of the night and the door of my room was just one step away.

At least, in liberal NY, I could shop for beer in the afternoon.

Some US states have pretty weird alcohol laws.

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 14):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skurheg3P6I&feature=player_embedded#

The German version of this episode doesn't have the Mountain Dew joke. In the German version the guy says: "Wasser oder Krabbensaft". I don't know why they replaced Mountain Dew with water in the German episode. It lasted a few years until I got the joke when I saw this episode in the USA.

Patrick

PanHAM

Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:35 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 15):

the most bizarre is Lynchburg TN where they destill Jack Daniels, otherwise Lynchburg is a dry city/ county and the Lynchburg Lemonade they serve there after the tour does not contain any JD. It's like going to a brothel and you're not allowed to touch the ladies.
powered by Eierlikör

ACDC8

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:11 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 15):

Just like in Canada. For example, you can't bring your kids (under 19) to a pub despite pubs being pretty much just restaraunts. There are some pubs who have patio's outside, the one is a regular patio and if you go down two steps you go onto another patio where kids are allowed BUT you cannot order alcohol ....  Confused If I go to a restaurant, I can only order alcohol if I order food. Last call is at 100am. You can't buy beer/wine in supermarkets. More or less, everything related to alcohol (i.e.: having a beer at the beach or wine at a picnic) is illegal and frowned upon. Very depressing  Sad

Because, we have much better taste tha Americans and don't have to drink that crap.

I would normally agree with you, but there are some things (very few though) that actually do taste better here then back home in Germany ... Root Beer being one of them  Wink

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 10):

There are several different brands of Root Beer. they do not all taste alike

Not including no name brands - Barqs, Mug and A&W come to mind. I haven't seen Hires for years, but for us Canadians, Zellers is selling The Pop Shoppe pops again  Smile Personally, I can't stand Barqs, not sweet or creamy like Root Beer shooud be.

Root Beer is one soda that should not be served with ice, but rather should b e served very very cold in a glass.

checkmark  The frosted mugs at A&W are the best. The ONLY thing that should ever be put into Root Beer is a nice big scoop of vanilla ice cream ....  drool 

yooyoo

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 17):
Root Beer being one of them

Poutine the other ?  Wink

The frosted mugs at A&W are the best

Am i the only person that finds A&W and the food they produce vial?  vomit 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

David L

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:27 pm

You can get it, it's just not very common

And when you do find it, it usually just has a sweet, non-descript flavour.

Plus it tastes like crap anyway

I have to say, I love proper root beer. For years, I had to make do with wintergreen Lifesavers, hoarded from my US visits. Then I discovered a fantastic Chinese supermarket near me selling root beer the way it's supposed to taste.
 thumbsup 

ACDC8

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 18):
Poutine the other ?

Maple Syurp, Mac & Cheese, steak, hamburgers, popcorn and breakfast cereals to mention a few Big grin

Am i the only person that finds A&W and the food they produce vial?

Food is yucky, except for the new Baby Sirloin Twins and bacon and eggs breakfast. But they're Root Beer is my favourite  Smile

andaman

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:38 pm

Just like in Canada. For example, you can't bring your kids (under 19) to a pub despite pubs being pretty much just restaraunts. There are some pubs who have patio's outside, the one is a regular patio and if you go down two steps you go onto another patio where kids are allowed BUT you cannot order alcohol .... Confused If I go to a restaurant, I can only order alcohol if I order food. Last call is at 100am. You can't buy beer/wine in supermarkets. More or less, everything related to alcohol (i.e.: having a beer at the beach or wine at a picnic) is illegal and frowned upon. Very depressing Sad

Wow sounds worse than here in Finland, it's more relaxed with alcohol dowadays here, less rules. At the same time Finns drink more than ever, we just past the Danes. On the other hand, drugs are less popular here than in most of Europe.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

mayor

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:31 am

IBC root beer, here in the states is very good.

I can remember when I worked at ORD, we would get these large shipments of sasparilla (the flavoring of root beer) tea in. If the shipment had been sitting in the closed cargo cart for any length of time, when you opened the curtains, the smell was almost strong enough to knock you on your butt, however it WAS NOT an unpleasant smell.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

cgnnrw

Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Yes, most Europeans simply don't know what they're missing.....but then they don't like peanut butter either and can't relate to the pure joy of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Anyone ever tried Birch-Beer? I think it may pretty much be a Penna. delicacy. Definitely can't get that over here.
A330 man.

jcs17

Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 23):
Anyone ever tried Birch-Beer? I think it may pretty much be a Penna. delicacy. Definitely can't get that over here.

We always used to drink Birch Beer when we would go to my great aunt's farm outside of Scranton, PA. It's also pretty popular in the DC region (enough so that some restaurants serve it at their fountains).
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

MD11Engineer

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:10 pm

My mother told me about a homemade drink called "Holundersekt" ("Elderberry champagne") made out of the flowers of Elderberry plants they used to drink when she was a little girl in the 1940s-1950s. Ok, she grew up in a rural village, but I´ve never seen or tasted the drink in my life.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Asturias

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:36 pm

Root beer is no beer. It's some sort of toothpaste-flavor sugared soda. It is very, very, very bad  ill 

It is available sporadically in some shops when they have USA-themed days or somesuch.

asturias
Tonight we fly

mayor

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:59 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 26):
Root beer is no beer. It's some sort of toothpaste-flavor sugared soda. It is very, very, very bad

It is available sporadically in some shops when they have USA-themed days or somesuch.

Then you guys aren't getting the good stuff over there, which doesn't surprise me. There are any number of excellent brands of root beer, available over here, which probably never get exported.

N1120A

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:05 pm

Root Beer is one soda that should not be served with ice, but rather should b e served very very cold in a glass.

The only root beer that stands up to ice is Barq's.

Huh? Root Beer is awesome. No one is comparing it to regular beer, because they are different things.

Personally, I can't stand Barqs, not sweet or creamy like Root Beer shooud be.

I LOVE the One with Bite. Also much, much better on a hot day, which makes sense given that Barq's is originally from New Orleans.

A&W is vile, which is probably why you rarely if ever see one in the US anymore. Also, A&W's canned/bottled root beer absolutely sucks.

Quoting Mayor (Reply 22):
IBC root beer, here in the states is very good.

IBC is pretty good, and it comes predominantly in glass bottles. I would say that IBC and Barq's compete for my favorite. Also a Dad's fan. Mug and A&W are terrible.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ACDC8

Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:00 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 28):
I LOVE the One with Bite. Also much, much better on a hot day, which makes sense given that Barq's is originally from New Orleans.

Can't stand Barqs .... not creamy enough for me LOL! I'll drink Root Beer or Dr. Pepper, but if they don't have Dr. Pepper and only have Barq's I'll move on to Coke/Pepsi.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 28):
A&W is vile, which is probably why you rarely if ever see one in the US anymore. Also, A&W's canned/bottled root beer absolutely sucks.

Oh, you two don't know what you're missing ..... Big grin

Dare I bring up the Germans and VitaMalz? ....  vomit   Big grin

PanHAM

Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:34 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 29):
Dare I bring up the Germans and VitaMalz? ..

you can, but that's only for children and pregnant women.... Big grin