itsjustme

4 WA Officers Killed In Apparent Ambush

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:32 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34194122/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

PARKLAND, Wash. - Four police officers were shot and killed Sunday morning as they sat in a coffee shop Sunday morning in what sheriff's officials described as an "ambush."

The officers were in the cafe at a strip mall in the Lakewood area with their laptop computers, preparing for their day shifts, when one or two gunmen walked in and opened fire, Pierce County Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said.

"This was a targeted, selected ambush," Troyer said, adding that customers and baristas were in the shop at the time but no one else was shot at or injured.

Prayers for the officers and their loved ones.  tombstone 

F9Animal

RE: 4 WA Officers Killed In Apparent Ambush

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:01 pm

Beyond tragic! Suspect is still on the loose, and I hope they get the SOB. This makes 5 Officers police officers killed in the last 2 months in Washington. This is terrible.  Sad
I Am A Different Animal!!

itsjustme

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:55 pm

For anyone interested, Seattle TV station KIRO is streaming live reports.

http://www.kirotv.com/video/21753219/index.html

RussianJet

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Awful stuff. Any theories about the motive?
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

SOBHI51

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:34 pm

If those criminals were arrested alive, the death penalty should be allowed. Murdering policemen in cold blood even the death penalty is not enough.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

HAWK21M

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:51 pm

Hopefully they find the culprit.

Always wondered if guns can be purchased over the counter in other countries.
It cannot be done out here,else imagine 1.15 billion armed persons in India.

regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MD11Engineer

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 4):
If those criminals were arrested alive, the death penalty should be allowed. Murdering policemen in cold blood even the death penalty is not enough.

Don´t worry. They are oldfashioned in Washington State. They still have the gallows (as an alternative to lethal injection, though I´m not sure if the judge can order one method or the other). If caught, I´m quite certain the culprits will swing.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

kc135topboom

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:15 pm

It would be good if a SWAT team cornered this guy and he decided to shoot it out with them. That would save the tax payers of Washington State a lot of time and money.

RIP for those Police Officers.

MD11Engineer

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 7):
It would be good if a SWAT team cornered this guy and he decided to shoot it out with them. That would save the tax payers of Washington State a lot of time and money.

And give the killers the chance to go out in their moment of glory as rebels against the police state?
Better have them hogtied and sh*tting their diapers with fear, knowing there is absolutely nothing they can do, when the noose is being put around their necks.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

zanl188

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:48 pm

I'm not a gun advocate by any means.... but if I still lived in the area I would be reconsidering gun ownership this afternoon....

RIP
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

itsjustme

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:01 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 3):
Any theories about the motive?

This is the second incident in less than a month where a uniformed officer has been shot and killed, ambush style. Seattle officer Timothy Brenton was shot and killed Halloween night as he was sitting in his patrol car. The responsible is also charged with firebombing 4 police vehicles earlier in the month as part of a "one-man war against law enforcement".

Let's not get into a pro-anti gun control discussion please. 4 law enforcement officers have been hunted down and killed today, merely because of their profession. Please remember their family and loved ones in your prayers.

F9Animal

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 3):
Awful stuff. Any theories about the motive?

None. However, Seattle Police just had an officer assassinated a few weeks back. Now this. The only thing that comes to mind is crack, alcohol, and scum.

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 7):

RIP for those Police Officers.

SWAT will corner him, or uniformed officers will corner him. There will be no shots fired by the suspect. He won't have a chance to even think about it. He is dead, trust me. Officers are going to shoot to kill, and it will save us tax payers in Washington a big chunk of money. However, the punk that shot an SPD Officer a few weeks back was shot by police. The suspect was paralyzed! I would love to see him roll or crawl into the courtroom when the time comes. The scum does not deserve a wheelchair, nor a single amount of dignity. Hopefully he soils himself, and has to clean his own self up. Hopefully when it is chow time, they dump his food on the floor, and makes him crawl over to eat.

Am I showing any signs of anger? You better believe it. No disrespect to anyone in a wheelchair by the way.

zanl188

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:41 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 11):
The only thing that comes to mind is crack, alcohol, and scum.

Add crystal meth to that list.. Meth lab busts were on the rise when I lived in the area...
Wasn't unusual at all to see homes with hazmat signs on the doors after a resident meth maker got busted....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

787seattle

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:00 am

Update:

SWAT will corner him

SWAT is cornering him right now in S. Seattle.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...s/2010386387_webleschihome29m.html

According to the Seattle Times articles (God, I hate not having TV), the man is named Maurice Clemmns. Apparently, he got clemency by Huckabee in Arkansas 9 years ago.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ews/2010385617_webmansought29.html
Student - KELN

johnboy

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:13 am

Say goodbye to presidential aspirations, Huck.
The Palin camp is probably quivering in ecstasy in their mukluks tonight.

787seattle

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:34 am

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 14):

checkmark 

Check this out: http://www.huckpac.com/?Fuseaction=Blogs.View&Blog_id=2907

Quote:
Should he be found to be responsible for this horrible tragedy, it will be the result of a series of failures in the criminal justice system in both Arkansas and Washington State.

Student - KELN

HOMER71

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:22 pm

The only thing that comes to mind is crack, alcohol, and scum.

How about religion?

Quoting 787seattle (Reply 13):
Apparently, he got clemency by Huckabee in Arkansas 9 years ago.

This shouldn't hurt his chances at becoming president...

Sincerely,
Willie Horton
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

NIKV69

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:21 pm

According to the Seattle Times articles (God, I hate not having TV), the man is named Maurice Clemmns. Apparently, he got clemency by Huckabee in Arkansas 9 years ago.

Though he never really had a shot at the WH this does end his political career. Please keep in mind this was totally Huck's fault. I mean the parole board had to sign off on his release as well and why was he free on bond while waiting for that child rape rap? With this past he should have never been let free for anything. This is a total breakdown on many fronts.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

787seattle

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:12 pm

It's now a little past 7am here and Clemmons is still holed up in the house. Police are starting to think he could be dead as he suffered a gunshot wound in the struggle with the original 4 police officers he killed. BTW, Clemmons is still regarded as a "person of interest."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...s/2010386387_webleschihome29m.html
Student - KELN

itsjustme

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Quoting 787seattle (Reply 18):
It's now a little past 7am here and Clemmons is still holed up in the house

They've entered and cleared the house. No suspect found.

Dreadnought

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:34 pm

I'm not too clear on something. I thought the governor only has the right to grant pardons and somehow to commute a death sentence. I have never heard of the governor having the right to change the sentence, apart from the above exceptions. Also, did the parole board parole the guy or not? If they did, why would the governor be involved?

The story makes no sense (that part anyway).

Hardly. Shows you have no clue about conservatives.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

KirkSeattle

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:05 pm

Quoting 787seattle (Reply 18):
It's now a little past 7am here and Clemmons is still holed up in the house

Currently at 8am Pacific Time, the news (King 5) is reporting that he is not in the house. I think this is confirmed from the Seattle Police Department.

seb146

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:27 pm

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 16):

This shouldn't hurt his chances at becoming president...

Sincerely,
Willie Horton

This is neither the time nor the place for this, guys....

I don't think this suspect will make it very far, if he was shot during the original confrontation. I hope they find him before he does any more harm to anyone.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

RussianJet

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 26):

I agree. It would be great if we could talk about just one topic without it turning into a right vs. left slanging match.

futurepilot16

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:50 pm

It says here that the man got a 95 yr prison sentence for aggravted robbery in 1989, but in good ol' U.S.A, we let the murderers go because "they've served their time". Mike Huckabee and whoever else helped this psychopath get out of prison should be ashamed, I say we lock them all up for life.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091130/ap_on_re_us/us_officers_shot
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

F9Animal

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:36 pm

Here is a letter I sent to the moron that let this fool go. He has ties to the area I live in, and I won't put my guard down for a minute. I seriously can't believe this crap...

Mr. Huckabee,

I can't believe you let a man sentenced to life in prison go! What were you thinking? Then you blame the justice system in Arkansas and Washington State? You were the one that signed the papers! You are a disgrace for doing such a move. Do not run for President. In fact, you do not even belong in politics. I blame you directly for the assassination of the 4 Lakewood Police Officers in Washington. Your poor judgment as governor clearly shows your inability to run a country.

I was a supporter, but now I suggest you leave politics. You have blood on your hands, and you are responsible. 95 year sentence, and a swipe of your pen cost the life of 4 police officers. You let a child rapist loose. You should be ashamed.

Not even a sane individual would let someone like this back to the streets. How many of the 1,033 pardons you granted, are potential killers? Was it because your son was arrested for carrying a gun on a plane?

Mr. Huckabee, I have to protect my family now. I have to fear the asshole you let walk free might be in my neighborhood. Thanks to you, I have to show my wife how to shoot a gun. Thanks to you, we have to lay 4 police officers to rest forever.

And don't bother sending me a blanket response. Your inability to be a leader is disgusting. Do yourself a favor... Pardon yourself from politics.

Signed,

4 Lost Police Officers

Dreadnought

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:39 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 25):
Mr. Huckabee,

I can't believe you let a man sentenced to life in prison go!

Nobody has answered my earlier question:

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 20):
I'm not too clear on something. I thought the governor only has the right to grant pardons and somehow to commute a death sentence. I have never heard of the governor having the right to change the sentence, apart from the above exceptions. Also, did the parole board parole the guy or not? If they did, why would the governor be involved?

If he was paroled, how would the governor be involved? I agree if the decision was his, then this disaster falls on him. But this story doesn't make sense.

787seattle

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:08 am

Quoting KirkSeattle (Reply 21):
Currently at 8am Pacific Time, the news (King 5) is reporting that he is not in the house. I think this is confirmed from the Seattle Police Department.

I saw that online. This is really getting out of hand.
Student - KELN

thegreatRDU

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:15 am

This will definitely lead to copy cats...
Our Returning Champion

Dreadnought

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:55 am

OK, we have a little more info now, thanks to Bill O'Reilly, who interviewed Gov. Huckabee.

A decade ago, while Clemmons was serving a 90-something year sentence, Huckabee Commuted his sentence by half, down to 40-something years, for a crime he committed when he was 16. That gave him the possibility of getting parole - it did not let him out. Huckabee said he made the decision based on the recommendation of the judge in the case, and a 5-0 recommendation by the parole board. The parole board eventually granted him parole and he got out.

Huckabee appears to be pretty upset about having made it easier for Clemmons to get out, and accepted responsibility for the decision.

futurepilot16

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:30 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 29):

Huckabee appears to be pretty upset about having made it easier for Clemmons to get out, and accepted responsibility for the decision.

But Huckabee has a history of doing this. In 1985 a man named Wayne DuMond was found guilty for murder and sentenced to life in prison plus 20 years. The person he murdered was a distant cousin of then Ark. Gov Bill Clinton. Because of this a lot of people claimed he got a bad deal.

After Huckabee became the gov. of arkansas, he reportedly wrote a letter to DuMond saying "my desire is that you be released from prison." Huckabee helped to get him paroled because he thought DuMond got a raw deal. After DuMond was paroled, he moved to missouri where he raped and murdered a woman. So this isn't the first time where Huckabee has been involved in a situation where he participated in someone being released from prison, only to see that person commit another heinous crime. In the first case he claimed his actions had nothing to do with the decision of the parole board, but I think it clearly did. Huckabee needs to answer to his history of helping murderers and rapists released from prison.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/05/earlyshow/main3577585.shtml

Dreadnought

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:15 am

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 30):
Huckabee needs to answer to his history of helping murderers and rapists released from prison.

If that record is accurate, then that will knock him out of the running for the GOP nomination.

But if he ran as a democrat, that record might actually be an advantage  Wink

WarRI1

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 am

An animal was let loose, once again. A tragedy once again. I heard on NBC News that he may have a stomach wound, let us hope it is a slow and painful death for him.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

johnboy

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:53 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 23):
Quoting Seb146 (Reply 26):

I agree. It would be great if we could talk about just one topic without it turning into a right vs. left slanging match.

Perhaps, but sometimes threads go off on tangents which can be more interesting than the initial topic.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 20):
Hardly. Shows you have no clue about conservatives.

I always say, "Know thy enemy." But don't take my word for it, go over to that Freeper site and watch with glee at the character assassination going on. It's fantastic!

KirkSeattle

Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:22 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 32):
I heard on NBC News that he may have a stomach wound, let us hope it is a slow and painful death for him.

Seems like King 5 TV is reporting that his relatives have acknowledged helping him escape after killing 4 police officers from the Lakewood Police Department.

He is still on the loose.

seb146

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:29 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 23):
It would be great if we could talk about just one topic without it turning into a right vs. left slanging match.

Some topics I can understand and enjoy the left v right starting, but this.... no.

I lived in Auburn and had to drive through Parkland whenever I would visit my family in Oregon. I want to keep up on this story. This board is a good place for that.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

futurepilot16

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:01 am

Quoting KirkSeattle (Reply 34):

Seems like King 5 TV is reporting that his relatives have acknowledged helping him escape after killing 4 police officers from the Lakewood Police Department.

I hope they charge everyone in the family who helped him with embedding a felon. I don't care if that family member is 12. Send them to juvenile hall until they've reached a legal age to be prosecuted. Punish their ass for what they did.

Maverick623

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:07 am

have acknowledged helping him escape after killing 4 police officers from the Lakewood Police Department.

Not surprising. They'll go down with accessory charges... which if their governor is anything unlike Huckabee, it means 25 to life.

If they knew before hand what he was going to do too, all the adults would also be eligible for the death penalty.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

thegreatRDU

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:14 am

The heat is turning up on Mike Huckabee....
Our Returning Champion

787seattle

Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:31 am

Police have been searching in RNT this evening. Unfortunately, I have friends that reported seeing the police roaming around.
Student - KELN

F9Animal

Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:44 am

He is still on the loose.

Family and friends have been indeed helping this scum bag. He was shot, so hopefully the pain is extreme. However, judging by how wonderful his family and friends are, I bet he is being loaded with tons of drugs to fight the pain.

I was in Renton today, and witnessed a swarm of police cars arrive at the Fred Meyer parking lot. They had everything you could imagine in weaponry, and the helmets to boot. They took a black male into custody. It was not the suspect. An Officer told me it was related to this scum bag, and that they were getting closer to nailing him.

Police are going to continue to ensure the family of this scum bag suffers. Not only will they charge them to the fullest, but until this prick is caught, nobody in his family will rest. I bet there are cop cars at every single family members house. Friends also probably have plenty of company.

If my child ever committed such a terrible crime, I would turn force him to turn himself in. I also doubt my child would ever do such a thing, as I have taught my child right from wrong. These scum bags parents obviously failed him. No excuse, I hope the guy fries!

SOBHI51

Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Suspect caught and killed. Great news. I preferred a slower death, but this is fine.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

RussianJet

Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 40):
They had everything you could imagine in weaponry

Rocket launchers?

Charles79

Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 41):
Suspect caught and killed.

I'm assuming that the evidence and witness accounts were strong enough to link this horrible crime to this guy. I'd like to know for sure that the perpetrator of this crime is no longer roaming the streets for free.I still would have preferred for him to be caught alive to answer the question of motive. I also hope that he acted alone and was not hired by someone else, otherwise we may never find that person/persons.

Our attention should now focus on helping the relatives and friends of the victims.

As for all this talk about the Governor commuting his sentence (which now appears that all he did was reduce his sentence) I think the real question should be why a 16-year-old was not only handed with a 95-year sentence but also thrown into prison where he would have had no chance at all of rehabilitation. If anything it raises questions about our correction system and highlights one of its biggest criticisms: our system only handles punishment and doesn't offer a real chance for rehabilitation. Granted, he could have been that odd case with no chance for rehab, in which case then he should have never left the prison. The parole board in that Arkansas prison might be the only folks with any insights into that.

crewchief32

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:09 pm

Damn, he's dead???

I bet if they had captured him alive, his first words to the TV cameras would've been
"I didn'z do nuffins"....

itsjustme

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:21 pm

Now that the maggot is resting in hell where he belongs, I will comment on his early release and the man responsible for it.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 29):

You conveniently forgot to mention the part where Huckabee blamed Clemmon's release on the prosecutor's office "failure to file paperwork on time". That doesn't sound to me like he is accepting responsibility for anything.

Dreadnought

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 45):

You conveniently forgot to mention the part where Huckabee blamed Clemmon's release on the prosecutor's office "failure to file paperwork on time". That doesn't sound to me like he is accepting responsibility for anything.

My statement is accurate. Huckabee did not actually order him released, just reduced his sentence (in fact had the parole board and prosecutor's office done their jobs correctly, Clemmons would still be in jail in Arkansas, and would be set to be released when he was 60 or 70 years old). Huckabee did regret that his action made it possible for him to be paroled early.

Aaron747

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:10 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 46):

My statement is accurate. Huckabee did not actually order him released, just reduced his sentence (in fact had the parole board and prosecutor's office done their jobs correctly, Clemmons would still be in jail in Arkansas, and would be set to be released when he was 60 or 70 years old). Huckabee did regret that his action made it possible for him to be paroled early.

Whatever the case, all involved are partially responsible for allowing this unfortunate nonsense to occur.

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 43):
The parole board in that Arkansas prison might be the only folks with any insights into that.

Seems somewhat irrelevant given that the guy they decided was fit for parole went on to do something like this. Either he was a convincing sociopathic liar or they were plain asleep. It's hard to be logical about things like this - all signs point to this guy being the one who did it, his family and friends are despicable accomplices and worst of all, the four families who lost their fathers, husbands, sons, brothers etc. have to know that despite all their training, they were gunned down without even a chance to defend themselves.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dreadnought

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:59 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 47):

Whatever the case, all involved are partially responsible for allowing this unfortunate nonsense to occur.

No argument.

Dreadnought

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 43):
I think the real question should be why a 16-year-old was not only handed with a 95-year sentence but also thrown into prison where he would have had no chance at all of rehabilitation. If anything it raises questions about our correction system and highlights one of its biggest criticisms: our system only handles punishment and doesn't offer a real chance for rehabilitation.

Many people like to think that most of these criminals can be rehabilitated but refuse to do what is necessary to rehabilitate them. No amount of sensitivity classes and therapy is going to convince a jailbird not to re-offend. The only way you can convince a person to change his ways is to make the experience of going to jail so horrible that nobody would ever want to go back, and is willing to do anything at all (including getting a job) to avoid that.

Remember the prison in the Count of Monte Christo? Basically a dungeon where you are forgotten for X number of years, in solitary confinement, and food is shoved under the door once a day. I'm willing to bet that if Clemmons had spent 10 years in a cell like that, alone, then removed, given a shave and a bath, and a few weeks of counseling (centered on "do anything bad again, and we throw you back in the hole"), he would not have done what he did.

Our modern prisons are criminal universities. Living in the general population, you have to learn to be tough, learn to think like the criminals around you. I think prison should all be solitary confinement - the person coming out of a cell after 10 years will not be some buff bad-ass with all sorts of fresh knowledge learned from his cellmates - he will be weak, timid, and once eased out will never want to go back.