rjpieces

NY State Senate To Vote On Same-Sex Marriage Today

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:08 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/03/nyregion/03marriage.html

Debate is going on right now here:
http://www.nysenate.gov/blogs/2009/d...ch-senate-debate-marriage-equality

The New York State Senate is set to vote later today on a bill legalizing same-sex marriage. This is quite an accomplishment for New York!! Also, yesterday, the District of Columbia City Council voted 11-2 in favor of same-sex marriage. This bill has to be voted on a second time in two weeks, and will then go to the Mayor, who has said he will sign it.

The way things are looking, New York and Washington, D.C. will have same-sex marriage within two months.

[Edited 2009-12-02 11:09:45]
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

GQfluffy

RE: NY State Senate To Vote On Same-Sex Marriage Today

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 pm

And if it doesn't pass...people will cry hatred and bigotry.  Yeah sure
This isn't where I parked my car...

rjpieces

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:15 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 1):
And if it doesn't pass...people will cry hatred and bigotry. Yeah sure

Considering the ridiculous arguments that opponents are making, I would say this is accurate.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

NIKV69

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:24 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 2):
Considering the ridiculous arguments that opponents are making, I would say this is accurate.

Sources?
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Cadet57

RE: NY State Senate To Vote On Same-Sex Marriage T

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:46 pm

And if it doesn't pass...people will cry hatred and bigotry

Do you blame them?

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 3):
Sources?

Just go watch all the idiots who were for Prop 8 in cali. Same BS, same narrow minded, backwards views.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

mt99

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:49 pm

And if it doesn't pass...people will cry hatred and bigotry. Yeah sure

And if it does pass people will cry about the end civilization as we know it...
Step into my office, baby

Airstud

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Are we going to do all this again?

We just had the exact same discussion about the vote in Maine.

When are we going to label this topic as "discussed."
Pancakes are delicious.

akiss20

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:59 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 6):

Oh probably in 10 years or so when gay marriage will be legal in all 50 states and federally recognized. It is inevitable that this will be so, but the process of getting there will, as always, create much discussion in which nothing ever gets said...
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

N1120A

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:02 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Thread starter):

The way things are looking, New York and Washington, D.C. will have same-sex marriage within two months.

Yay. I worry about D.C. in the short term though, as Congress can reverse anything the D.C. Council does.

And if it doesn't pass...people will cry hatred and bigotry.

As they should.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

NIKV69

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:04 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 4):
Just go watch all the idiots who were for Prop 8 in cali. Same BS, same narrow minded, backwards views.

Ah that is right if your against us your an idiot. Typical.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 4):
Do you blame them?

When you discount someones voice simply because it differs from yours your argument is invalid. I am for civil unions myself but would vote for gay marriage because it's not my decision as to someone's life but if it fails at a legal vote you need to respect it. You can't pick and choose.

[Edited 2009-12-02 12:04:34]

DeltaMD90

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:06 pm

What's it looking like? Pass or no pass? Or is it unsure?
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Cadet57

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):

So denying someone the right to marry based on their sexual orientation isn't idiotic?  crazy 

When you discount someones voice simply because it differs from yours your argument is invalid.

I'm not discounting their voice. They have every right to believe what they want. But I also have the same right, including to dislike who they think should be the only people to marry.

but if it fails at a legal vote you need to respect it.

It should not even have to be voted upon. Why do us straight people hold a monopoly over marriage?

You can't pick and choose.

Neither can the religious right who are living in the past who are picking and choosing who can marry.

N1120A

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:13 pm

but if it fails at a legal vote you need to respect it.

I guess "equal protection of the laws" means nothing to you and others who believe in oppressing minorities with the tyranny of the majority.

NIKV69

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:20 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):
So denying someone the right to marry based on their sexual orientation isn't idiotic?

Once again marriage isn't a right. It's a privilege governed under state law and those laws are voted on.

I'm not discounting their voice. They have every right to believe what they want. But I also have the same right, including to dislike who they think should be the only people to marry

You sure are. Read what you posted.

It should not even have to be voted upon. Why do us straight people hold a monopoly over marriage?

If it's governed under state law you bet your bippy it's going to voted on. Remember it's not a right.

Neither can the religious right who are living in the past who are picking and choosing who can marry.

The religious right has nothing to do with this. They are just a group that opposes it. That is a MSNBC sound byte.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
I guess "equal protection of the laws" means nothing to you and others who believe in oppressing minorities with the tyranny of the majority

That equal protection comes by a vote. Again phrases like "tryanny" are talking points and have no use here.

Can't confirm but I heard it failed 24-38

[Edited 2009-12-02 12:27:29]

DeltaMD90

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 7):
Oh probably in 10 years or so when gay marriage will be legal in all 50 states and federally recognized. It is inevitable that this will be so, but the process of getting there will, as always, create much discussion in which nothing ever gets said...

Yeah I don't think anyone can argue against this, even the most hardcore anti-gay marriage would probably admit that, I think...

Just because I like devil's advocate, I'll tell it like this: it's not discriminating, because a straight man doesn't have the right to marry another man, just the same as a gay man doesn't have the right to marry a guy. My point is, it IS a legal battle, what supporters must realize is they need to make laws LEGALIZING it, not arguing that the existing laws DO support it. But that's my 2 cents on how they should go about doing it...
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

rjpieces

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Are we going to do all this again?

Once all 50 states stop discriminating against same-sex couples!

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
I worry about D.C. in the short term though, as Congress can reverse anything the D.C. Council does.

Yes, but this is unlikely for several reasons. Congress has 30 legislative days to reverse the DC City Council. Here, it would involve both houses of Congress passing a disapproval bill, and President Obama signing it. All three very unlikely to happen, especially when you consider the racial politics involved with the concept of the first African-American President trying to interfere with DC--a city with a large African-American population--politics.

I agree with you that this argument is silly most of the time (on trivial issues, other political issues, etc). But on this issue like no other I have come to personally conclude that there really aren't legitimate reasons to be against same-sex marriage other than bigotry against gays and lesbians.

. I am for civil unions myself but would vote for gay marriage because it's not my decision as to someone's life but if it fails at a legal vote you need to respect it.

I appreciate your being candid, and I hope you look at it from the perspective of gays and lesbians who want to get married. Why should other citizens be able to vote on whether they have access to a fundamental right?

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 10):
Pass or no pass?

Unfortunately it did not pass. DC is looking good though; we'll know for sure in two weeks.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 13):
Once again marriage isn't a right.

With all due respect, the Supreme Court disagrees. They have repeatedly stated that marriage is a fundamental human right under our Constitution. Thus, for two examples, states are barred from preventing a person from marrying a person of a different race, and states are barred from not allowing prisoners to marry.

NIKV69

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 15):
I appreciate your being candid, and I hope you look at it from the perspective of gays and lesbians who want to get married. Why should other citizens be able to vote on whether they have access to a fundamental right?

No problem, I don't believe what happens in the bedroom is my business but the laws governing marriage have to be voted on and that vote respected either way. That's now how the system works.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 14):
Yeah I don't think anyone can argue against this, even the most hardcore anti-gay marriage would probably admit that, I think...

It's a bit of a stretch, I doubt TX and most of the south are going to legalize it anytime soon.

FlyPNS1

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:46 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 16):
No problem, I don't believe what happens in the bedroom is my business but the laws governing marriage have to be voted on and that vote respected either way. That's now how the system works.

So do you believe that if voters decide to ban interracial marriage that should be allowed?

thegreatRDU

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:52 pm

Apparently the state of new Jersey put it off...many thought this would be a breeze...
Our Returning Champion

mt99

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:54 pm

So if it passes - you will be OK with it?

akiss20

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 14):

Just because I like devil's advocate, I'll tell it like this: it's not discriminating, because a straight man doesn't have the right to marry another man, just the same as a gay man doesn't have the right to marry a guy. My point is, it IS a legal battle, what supporters must realize is they need to make laws LEGALIZING it, not arguing that the existing laws DO support it. But that's my 2 cents on how they should go about doing it...

Thing is that there are very few examples in history of legislatures actually giving new rights to minorities under attack, most have been conferred by courts. You can argue as to why this is, I tend to believe mostly because courts tend to be a lot less clouded by the need to be elected, thus they are much less prone to sensationalism. I anticipate that at some point there will be a SCOTUS case regarding gay marriage that will result in the overturning of DOMA and the invalidation of gay marriage bans by states (which SCOTUS can obviously do). I mean Lawrence V. Texas, Brown V. Board, and the equal protection clause set up a good line of precedents for such a decision. A well crafted SCOTUS case could do it all in one swoop, and I anticipate that at some point that is exactly what will happen. This, by the way, does not argue that current laws support gay marriage, but rather that they cannot not support gay marriage.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

rjpieces

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:05 pm

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 20):
A well crafted SCOTUS case could do it all in one swoop, and I anticipate that at some point that is exactly what will happen.

Maybe once there is more momentum. If 25-35 states had gay marriage, I could see SCOTUS getting involved to force the rest to comply. But I doubt they will strike down 40+ state laws now....

Not to mention that DOMA will hopefully be repealed legislatively soone nouhg....

NIKV69

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 17):
So do you believe that if voters decide to ban interracial marriage that should be allowed?

Nice loaded question but I would be against it but powerless to stop it. Stay on topic please.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 19):
So if it passes - you will be OK with it?

I think I have told you in other threads I am pro gay rights so yes. Personally I prefer gays to have civil unions because I feel marriage should be a man and a woman but when it comes to it passing. I would vote for it.

Cadet57

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:30 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
Personally I prefer gays to have civil unions because I feel marriage should be a man and a woman

Why can straight couples get married but gay's only get civil unions?

DocLightning

Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:13 pm

When you discount someones voice simply because it differs from yours your argument is invalid.

Unless their arguments are just...invalid.

We've gone over this over and over and over. The same arguments from the anti-crowd get logically reubtted. They don't care and don't listen. They aren't interested in logic and facts, but in maintaining their point of view, no matter what.

There is no valid legal reason why gay couples should be denied marriage. NOT A SINGLE ONE. Zero. Zip. Nada. At least, I haven't been presented one yet in the decades that this so-called "debate" has gone on.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

OA412
Crew

Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):
There is no valid legal reason why gay couples should be denied marriage. NOT A SINGLE ONE. Zero. Zip. Nada. At least, I haven't been presented one yet in the decades that this so-called "debate" has gone on.

Neither have I. Not once have I ever been given a reason that held up to any sort of logical test.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

pilotsmoe

Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:55 pm

It's a bit of a stretch, I doubt TX and most of the south are going to legalize it anytime soon.

Until the "Activist Judges" decide otherwise  bomb 

DocLightning

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:15 pm

The senate knocked it down.  Sad

But it is a matter of time. Just a matter of time.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

N1120A

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Quoting Pilotsmoe (Reply 26):

Until the "Activist Judges" decide otherwise

Unless some of these state supreme courts shock me by making the right call, this is going to have to play out with the US Supreme Court. If they apply the Lawrence test faithfully, same-sex marriage will be made legal through out the country. It would be even better if they applied O'Connor's concurrence.

rjpieces

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 28):
It would be even better if they applied O'Connor's concurrence.

O'Connor's concurrence specifically stated that it did not refer to recognition of same-sex couples. Kennedy's majority opinion is more spot on.

N1120A

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 29):
O'Connor's concurrence specifically stated that it did not refer to recognition of same-sex couples. Kennedy's majority opinion is more spot on.

Actually, neither truly addressed same-sex marriage. The reason I prefer O'Connor's opinion is because she applied equal protection directly. Kennedy used rational basis.

mham001

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 23):

Why can't single people have all the same rights and benefits that gay want?

CORRECTION: You haven't been presented with a reason that you AGREE with.

N1120A

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:26 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 31):

This makes zero sense.

NIKV69

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 23):

I never said they couldn't. I just feel (I guess it's my catholic background) that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Mostly because you don't respect opposition to your view.

Aaron747

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 pm

CORRECTION: You haven't been presented with a reason that you AGREE with.

Nice attempt at equivocation. Unless you can provide a logical argument against gay marriage that a) proves it is harmful to society or b) nullifies or otherwise changes the status of straight marriages, you have no valid point by which to justify such discrimination.

Because by the very status of being single, they neither desire nor have a living situation that involves life partnership with a person whom they love. Really, it's not that hard to figure out.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 28):
If they apply the Lawrence test faithfully, same-sex marriage will be made legal through out the country.

There is both a legal and moral imperative to do so - I'm confident we'll see it eventually. The precedent is already there.

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 21):

Not to mention that DOMA will hopefully be repealed legislatively soone nouhg....

So you don't like the way Conservative Jews perform conversions and faithfully interpret Jewish law, yet you hope for things regarding same sex marriage that fly in the face of non-Reform or Reconstructionist Jewish law? What gives?? A modicum of consistency would be much appreciated.

[Edited 2009-12-02 16:28:16]
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

N1120A

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:58 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 33):
I just feel (I guess it's my catholic background) that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Fine. No one is forcing the Catholic church to perform same-sex marriages. In fact, I would oppose such a mandate just as vigorously.

Nor should he. Bigotry should not be respected.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 34):

So you don't like the way Conservative Jews perform conversions and faithfully interpret Jewish law, yet you hope for things regarding same sex marriage that fly in the face of non-Reform or Reconstructionist Jewish law? What gives?? A modicum of consistency would be much appreciated.

Why was I quoted here?

akiss20

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:03 am

Or because thusfar all arguments against gay marriage have either been religious, which by definition is not legal, rational, nor logical, or "societal" arguments that have never had any shred of scientific backing.

So yes, there has thusfar been no valid legal or logical reason why gays should be denied the right to marry.

mt99

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:03 am

I never said they couldn't. I just feel (I guess it's my catholic background) that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

how does your Carholic backround feel about hiding child molestation?

DocLightning

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:07 am

Name one benefits that gays have that single people don't. Name ONE.

I will buy you a very expensive bottle of wine if you can.

Hardly. I do respect opposition. And as soon as someone gives me a valid reason, I'll lead the parade against gay marriage.

I've had my mind changed on a number of issues.

Again, name one reason why it should be illegal.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

ual777

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:12 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 37):

Wow real classy. Someone doesn't agree with you and you start taunting their religious beliefs.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

mt99

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:20 am

Quoting Ual777 (Reply 39):
Wow real classy. Someone doesn't agree with you and you start taunting their religious beliefs.

Spare me dude. look at the thread right under this one : "Gays are going to Hell - Vatican "

I mean come on. how classy is that ?

ual777

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:27 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 40):

Spare me dude. look at the thread right under this one : "Gays are going to Hell - Vatican "

I mean come on. how classy is that ?

Did you even read the article?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...ALeqM5h5kwXHE_zqvKJp92adJjWeXxZmyg

"VATICAN CITY — Homosexuals and transsexuals "will never enter the kingdom of heaven", a leading Roman Catholic cardinal said on Wednesday.

Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan said that while the Church regarded homosexuality as an "insult to God", this did not justify discrimination against gay and transsexual people."

Read that last line carefully.

It doesn't justify insulting someone's religion because of their opinion.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

Aaron747

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:30 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 35):
Why was I quoted here?

Posted in haste, now corrected.

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 36):
Or because thusfar all arguments against gay marriage have either been religious, which by definition is not legal, rational, nor logical, or "societal" arguments that have never had any shred of scientific backing.

checkmark  Exactly. When that changes, there will be something reasonable to listen to and argue with.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 37):

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 40):

Irrelevant - that has little or nothing to do with this issue and is really just a mean-spirited swipe. We all know the Church is inconsistent, but the child abuse scandals are a whole different animal.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Airstud

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:33 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 37):

THAT was well out of order. I may not like NIKV69 but he was only citing millenia-old Catholic ethos. That's wholly unrelated to current misconduct by church officials.
Pancakes are delicious.

mt99

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:33 am

Quoting Ual777 (Reply 41):
Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan said that while the Church regarded homosexuality as an "insult to God", this did not justify discrimination against gay and transsexual people."

you mean read the "insult to god part"?

Contrary to want you may think we just love being told over and over than we are the reason that the world is going to end. we love hearing how we are the down
fall of society. we love being insulted day in and day out. out of the blue. with no reason.

and you can't handle a direct question about child molestation?

please

Mir

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:38 am

I respect their beliefs about the morality of homosexuality. I can't respect their desire to legally impose those beliefs on the homosexual community when legalizing gay marriage does not harm society and does not change the legal status of heterosexual marriages.

Very disappointed in the NYS Senate right now.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

csavel

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:44 am

Yeah well another dark day for New York State. I note with regret that Hiram Monserrante, convicted girlfriend slasher voted against marriage equality. But I guess he is secure in the knowledge that when he marries the fiancee that he slashed, the meaning of marriage won't be tarnished by OMG TEH GAYS! as he slaps the shit out of his poor wife.

I am married, my gay cousin isn't, he & his partner have been together longer than me an dmy wife. so why can I get married & he can't? beats me!

Don't like gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex. Problem solved.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

mt99

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:45 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 42):
that has little or nothing to do with this issue and is really just a mean-spirited swipe

ohh you mean unlike the very nice and lovig words from the Vatican ?

NIKV69

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:45 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 35):
Nor should he. Bigotry should not be respected.

Just because someone doesn't agree with gay marriage doesn't make them a bigot. Unless of course you want to call your president one. Until that point lose the talking points.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 38):
Hardly. I do respect opposition. And as soon as someone gives me a valid reason, I'll lead the parade against gay marriage.

Yea right, when pigs fly.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 43):
THAT was well out of order. I may not like NIKV69 but he was only citing millenia-old Catholic ethos. That's wholly unrelated to current misconduct by church officials.

Yea really we don't need the spin either. I just watched MSNBC for an hour so my head is spinning already.

N1120A

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:46 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 34):
There is both a legal and moral imperative to do so - I'm confident we'll see it eventually. The precedent is already there.

I agree.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 43):
I may not like NIKV69 but he was only citing millenia-old Catholic ethos. That's wholly unrelated to current misconduct by church officials.

Actually, millenia-old Catholic ethos also says the church should be the only ones to punish priests.

Quoting Mir (Reply 45):

Very disappointed in the NYS Senate right now.

Did they vote the bill down?