ABQ747
Topic Author

Five Guys Burgers Coming To Albuquerque

Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:44 am

According to a post over at City-Data, 5 Guys Burgers will will be opening up here in ABQ. What do you think of them? How do their burgers compare to McDonald's, BK, Sonic, etc.?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...32867-not-n-out-but-just-good.html
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

NIKV69

RE: Five Guys Burgers Coming To Albuquerque

Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:01 am

They are good, little overrated. Fries are above average. If I was you I would write the family that owns In-n-Out and beg them to come to NM.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

MAH4546

Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:57 am

Quoting ABQ747 (Thread starter):
How do their burgers compare to McDonald's, BK, Sonic, etc.?

To note, Five Guys isn't fast food, it's "quick casual." It's a bit more expensive and better quality, but I still prefer BK, which is about the only fast food I still like.
a.

OA412
Crew

Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:52 am

Quoting ABQ747 (Thread starter):
According to a post over at City-Data, 5 Guys Burgers will will be opening up here in ABQ. What do you think of them? How do their burgers compare to McDonald's, BK, Sonic, etc.?

They're pretty good and IMHO are definitely a notch above fast food places though they can be price. A word of warning, if you go by yourself DO NOT order the large fries because the order is huge. Just get the regular fries which is pretty much the amount of fries you would get in a large or xl order anywhere else.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
If I was you I would write the family that owns In-n-Out and beg them to come to NM.

I know I'm committing blasphemy in the eyes of some but I'll go ahead and say it. We just had In 'n Out open here in Salt Lake and I've got to say I just wasn't impressed. It just wasn't the way I remembered it. It may possibly be a result of the fact that the restaurant was so incredibly busy due its having just opened.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

ShyFlyer

Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:36 am

If I was you I would write the family that owns In-n-Out and beg them to come to NM.

Word about town is that it isn't a question of if, but when. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 3):
I know I'm committing blasphemy in the eyes of some but I'll go ahead and say it. We just had In 'n Out open here in Salt Lake and I've got to say I just wasn't impressed.

I went to the one by LAX last year and was underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it was really good food for a good price but...just not the level I was expecting from all the hype I've seen here.
I lift things up and put them down.

NIKV69

Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 3):
I know I'm committing blasphemy in the eyes of some but I'll go ahead and say it. We just had In 'n Out open here in Salt Lake and I've got to say I just wasn't impressed. It just wasn't the way I remembered it. It may possibly be a result of the fact that the restaurant was so incredibly busy due its having just opened

I would be very surprised because they send senior employees to open new stores and don't staff them with newbies off the bat. The new one that opened in Laughlin tasted exactly the same when it openeded as the one in Kingman, PHX, all of LAS and LAX. They just don't let that happen. Busy or not.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 4):
Word about town is that it isn't a question of if, but when. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.

I can't see why not. Any one in a major city is going to pack out and make a killing.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

dw747400

Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:07 am

I've found Five Guys to be better than your average fast food place, but not the life altering burger some folks claim. Honestly, given the hype, I was dissapointed. I've been back a few times, but I mainly go for the frys. The burgers are a modest improvement over BK at best, but unless you have a Boardwalk Fry or Thrashers around, you'll have a tought time beating the fries.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

fxramper

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:39 am

They are good, little overrated. Fries are above average. If I was you I would write the family that owns In-n-Out and beg them to come to NM.

Agree 100%. Plenty of other 'chain' burger joints out there that trump Five Guys.  twocents 

N1120A

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 5):

I can't see why not. Any one in a major city is going to pack out and make a killing.

The main issue is whether or not In-N-Out's trucks can get the meat to ABQ from Baldwin Park while keeping it acceptably free of spoilage. Remember, they never freeze and only have the one meat packing facility. That said, I would assume that if they can make SLC work, they can make ABQ work. Would think they should be able to make ELP too.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

desertjets

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Where are they going to be opening it... (if I had to guess either will be on Central down by UNM, at Uptown, or maybe downtown near the Century movie theater)

I will be there opening day as it has been since July since I had my last Five Guys burger. Five Guys makes a good burger and great fries. And the level of customization is pretty much infinite -- they better have green chile available if they do open in ABQ. Better than any of the other major fast food chains that you can find in ABQ.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Jetsgo

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 8):
and only have the one meat packing facility.

Negative. We have three meat packing facilities, each of which has a maximum radius of 500 miles.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

nwa757boy

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:12 pm

I don't eat hamburgers. There are only two places I eat hamburgers from and that is In n' out and Five guys. It's good cooked well meat.

I had one of their higher ups on a flight recently. Told him his place is one of two places I eat hamburgers at, he was very appreciative