seb146

Ants Invading. Help!

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Stupid sugar ants are all over the place! We have tried corn meal, Grant's ant stakes, and Raid. The little buggers are not going away! Short of moving, what can we do to get rid of these things? We have three dogs and a cat, so we can't do anything too drastic.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Phoenix9

RE: Ants Invading. Help!

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Try using turmeric. Turmeric lines (think chalk line) in nooks and crannies are known to repel ants.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Our apartment suffers from ant invasions every couple of months.

The easiest (and most sure) way to get rid of them is to simply clean. If there's no food for them, they won't invade.

I also use Raid on certain areas, like holes in the wall from which they enter.

We've been fighting a 4-month war against them now. Soon as it rains outside, you can bet that you'll find them somewhere in the apartment.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Fly2HMO

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Thread starter):
We have tried corn meal

Corn meal's ability to eradicate/kill ants is an urban myth. Short of getting them dirty it doesn't do them any harm at all.

I've used those stakes as well and they didn't do much either.

What worked for me was tracking down their nests (the ones in my home loved nesting under pots) and blast them with Raid.

My dad had a major fire ant infestation at work. He found a bait that completely eliminated any signs of ant activity not only in the 30 or so huge mounds at work, but every mound within the whole block!  eyepopping 

I don't recall the name or brand of the stuff though and I doubt it will work on sugar ants due to their completely different diets.

cytz_pilot

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:51 pm

If you have lines of ants, there is a gel you can buy from Home Depot (don't remember the name, but it's the only product like that that they sell). You squeeze it along the line, and the ants start eating it. After trying a bunch of other methods for months, this stuff eliminated the ant colony in our apartment, and the last 3 months have been ant-free!

I used it on our upper walls and inside cabinets to keep our cat & 3-year-old from touching it.

Hope it helps! I think it was only like 5 bucks, look for it in the pest control section.

Boeing4ever

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 am

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

Springbok747

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:14 am

Speaking of insects..any ideas how to get rid of giant-ass spiders? Our garage is full of them...damn things crawl out during summer..and its pretty hot in there right now (just measured the temperature..its 39C..102F right now).

אני תומך בישראל

Phoenix9

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:16 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 6):
any ideas how to get rid of giant-ass spiders?

A super-soaker full of napalm. Either that, or take off and nuke it from the orbit.

But seriously dude, I'd just sell the house and move to a different country.  melting 

[Edited 2009-12-14 16:39:28]
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

Marcus

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:16 am

Ortho home defense, you can get a gallon of that stuff at Home Depot and it has it's own spray applicator.....best thing we have bought so far.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

Fly2HMO

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:22 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 6):
Speaking of insects..any ideas how to get rid of giant-ass spiders?

Squish 'em.  Wink

Same happens at my home, but with black widow spiders, very small yet very dangerous. In one night I killed 40 of them. They know not to come inside the house though, I've never found one inside in 25 years. Also I don't fully exterminate them, its more like population control, as they prey on crickets and other undesirable creatures. Raid works fine on them and the occasional tarantula, though the latter require a much heavier dose obviously (by heavier I mean shoe-heavy Big grin ).

jetstar

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:57 am

I have had problems with both carpenter and little brown ants.

Here in the Northeast carpenter ants are a big problem, they don’t bite but they bore into any wood to make their nests. I had to replace the main beams under my front porch with pressure treated wood because of carpenter ants.

Ortho makes an ant powder which looks like talcum powder and comes in a container like for bread crumbs. I sprinkle it around the openings and wherever I can find where they are coming into the house. It sticks to their bodies and they track it back into the colony and spread it around killing other ants. What it won’t do is kill any ants in the larva stage, so you need to keep the powder sprinkled until all the larva emerge and are killed. It is safe to use indoors. I have found by sprinkling the powder around the opening to the colony, the ants have to walk over the powder to get back into the colony, bringing the powder back into the colony, and they are very determined to get back home.

If you find the colony outdoors and can do it, pour about 4 ounces of gas down the opening and light it, that will burn the colony out, also works great for yellow jacket nests, had one in my back yard, 4 ounces of gas into the opening, lit it and presto, nest gone.

But also the main thing with ants is to keep food off the counters, once their advance scouts find food, they alert the others in the colony to the source and they will keep coming back until you kill them. I have found Raid ant spray effective in both killing them and setting up a barrier to prevent their return

JetStar

seb146

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:19 am

Quoting Cytz_pilot (Reply 4):
If you have lines of ants, there is a gel you can buy from Home Depot

I tried that at a different apartment. It did nothing but create a sticky mess for me. The ants ignored it.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 3):
Corn meal's ability to eradicate/kill ants is an urban myth. Short of getting them dirty it doesn't do them any harm at all.

Actually, there were quite a few dead ants from that. I think what happens is: they eat it, it clogs their system and they die.

I will try turmeric and see how that works. Thanks!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal