Falcon84
Topic Author

Rant: Driver Riding Your Bumper On The Highway

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:45 am

Coming home from work, I had some jackass get within about 3 feet of my bumper, because ,I guess, going 8 miles an hour over the speed limint wasn't enough for him.

I was passing a person in the slow lane, and so I did what I normally will do when someone is way to close for safety to my bumper: I slowly hit the breaks to slow the car, and let the guy know "hey, you're too close to my rear end, fella."

No luck. The idiot gets closer.

So, I pump the break a little-not hard, but enough so that the person behind me knows I do NOT appreciate him getting intimate iwth my bumper. No luck.

He flashes his brights then.

So, this time, I've had it. I simply pull up even with the guy I'm passing, and stay right there, goin 5 miles OVER the speed limit for the next 5 miles.

The guy rides my bumper all the way off the exit. I get into the left lane, as I'll be making a left thern-this clown races around me and slams his brakes on, and I almost hit him. Then he goes across TWO LANES of traffic into another lane-at the stop light, mind you, and is screaming at me the whole time, as if he owns the road.

Rant over.

But get off my freakin' tail!
Work Right, Fly Hard

Mir

RE: Rant: Driver Riding Your Bumper On The Highway

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:58 am

Yeah, he was being a jackass, but it's my opinion that trying to retaliate doesn't help matters much, and can be dangerous. If he doesn't back off after the first warning, it's ultimately better to just let him be an idiot.

Here's what I hate: I'm in the left lane, and someone comes up behind me who is going faster and begins riding my bumper. I'm in the process of passing another car, and I plan to move over into its lane as soon as I can so that the faster traffic can pass. I'll signal accordingly, and might even accelerate a bit to pass the car a bit faster. But the idiot behind me decides to cut over into that lane before I think that the spacing is sufficient and accelerate, going right into my blind spot just as I start to change lanes, and forcing me to swerve back into the lane I was originally. Had he waited another two seconds, I would have been out of his way and he could have continued without putting me, himself, or driver I was passing in more danger than was necessary.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

WildcatYXU

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:02 am

While I hate tailgaters with passion, I wouldn't do what you've done. I'd just finish passing and I'd let the tailgater go. He's a moron, therefore is better to let him disappear ASAP.
His behaviour at the exit proves it. Such unstable and aggressive person IMHO shouldn't be allowed to drive at all.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

mirrodie

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:05 am

Depending on the car you are dealing with, I would have tapped the brakes and let him hit me.

His fault, his insurance, his lesson.

But people like that never learn.

[Edited 2009-12-15 20:05:47 by mirrodie]
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

cwapilot

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:07 am

How about continuing to go 8 miles an hour over the speed limit, complete passing the car you are passing, and move the F over? You were the jackass with the whole lining up with another car thing. You altered your own rate of speed and made sure the other driver could not get around you, so you provoked getting cut off. Your purpose in a passing lane is to pass and move back over, not teach other drivers a lesson. You have no idea what the other driver was doing. Maybe he was being a jackass, or maybe he had an emergency. In either case, it's not up to you to show him what for.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

JBirdAV8r

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:08 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 3):
Depending on the car you are dealing with, I would have tapped the brakes and let him hit me.

The only problem with that is that it only takes one gun, one knife or one baseball bat to make that the last lesson you teach.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

cwapilot

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:11 am

Commit insurance fraud and endanger lives to make a point...and someone else needs to learn?

jm017

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:12 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
Coming home from work, I had some jackass get within about 3 feet of my bumper, because ,I guess, going 8 miles an hour over the speed limit wasn't enough for him.

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Here's what I hate: I'm in the left lane, and someone comes up behind me who is going faster and begins riding my bumper. I'm in the process of passing another car, and I plan to move over into its lane as soon as I can so that the faster traffic can pass. I'll signal accordingly, and might even accelerate a bit to pass the car a bit faster. But the idiot behind me decides to cut over into that lane before I think that the spacing is sufficient and accelerate, going right into my blind spot just as I start to change lanes, and forcing me to swerve back into the lane I was originally. Had he waited another two seconds, I would have been out of his way and he could have continued without putting me, himself, or driver I was passing in more danger than was necessary.

These are two of my driving pet peeves. As tempted as I am to retaliate, things can get out of control really quickly. What I will not do is let their impatience affect my driving safely. But these behaviour are quite annoying and risky.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:13 am

Quoting Cwapilot (Reply 4):
How about continuing to go 8 miles an hour over the speed limit, complete passing the car you are passing, and move the F over?

You sound like it was you in that car, my friend.  Smile

I'm not going to have him ride my bumper without letting him know that what he's doing isn't very bright. If I'm going 5 to 8 MPH over the speed limit, and he's still on my tail, then I think he has the problem, not me.

And just maybe it kept someone else from being harrassed by this idiot.
Work Right, Fly Hard

smcmac32msn

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:14 am

How about continuing to go 8 miles an hour over the speed limit, complete passing the car you are passing, and move the F over?

Sounds like you're the angry driver?! He didn't provoke shit except getting cut off. I got flashed at for moving into an exit lane today in MKE going to my evening class because a pickup truck was moving faster than me heading for the exit. BOO HOO. DEAL WITH IT. Are you really going to get where your going that much quicker???

Just remember, driving at a speed of 5 or 8 over..... is a variance of 3 miles over an hour of driving. 3 miles is 3 minutes. Leave 5 minutes sooner and do 4 over.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:15 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 5):
The only problem with that is that it only takes one gun, one knife or one baseball bat to make that the last lesson you teach.

That is the drawback, and it's why I usually don't do more than the brake thing, but this guy just wouldn't get the message.

You are right. In the end, it's not worth it, but this time I just couldn't stand it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Fly2HMO

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:15 am

I slowly hit the breaks to slow the car, and let the guy know "hey, you're too close to my rear end, fella."

So, this time, I've had it. I simply pull up even with the guy I'm passing, and stay right there, goin 5 miles OVER the speed limit for the next 5 miles.

Retaliation was NOT the right thing to do. For all you know he'd follow you home and pull out a bat, a crowbar or worse, a gun on you. Don't slow down to piss off somebody who's already probably cranky, just pass the car and move over.

I was passing a person in the slow lane,

How many lanes was it anyways?

Also I'd like to know how fast you were passing the other person. (Assuming it was a two lane in the same direction) If it was more than 5 mph speed difference, then yes, he was a jackass. But if you were doing one of those i'm-gonna-take-all-day-to-pass-the-other-car type passes, then you deserved it.

I don't like tailgaters either and I avoid doing it, but I will if I have to get a point across  box 

cwapilot

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:16 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 8):
You sound like it was you in that car, my friend.

Actually, I am someone that almost ended up getting nailed by one such jackass as he attempted to retaliate against someone such as yourself. Luckily, there was a large right hand shoulder I was able to swerve onto.

workflyer

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:17 am

How about continuing to go 8 miles an hour over the speed limit, complete passing the car you are passing, and move the F over? You were the jackass with the whole lining up with another car thing. You altered your own rate of speed and made sure the other driver could not get around you, so you provoked getting cut off. Your purpose in a passing lane is to pass and move back over, not teach other drivers a lesson. You have no idea what the other driver was doing. Maybe he was being a jackass, or maybe he had an emergency. In either case, it's not up to you to show him what for.

I agree with this. When were you sworn in as a traffic cop. If he was being an arsehole then let him be one, don't make him an arsehole with an attitude. Could have escalated into something pretty nasty at the lights.

NIKV69

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:17 am

Make sure you have one of these!

http://www.bumperguard.org/
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Fly2HMO

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:21 am

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 9):
BOO HOO. DEAL WITH IT.

If you moved into that lane without checking for traffic, specially faster traffic, then YOU are the problem. Surely he had to slam his brakes. How do you think many pile ups are caused?  Yeah sure

smcmac32msn

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:25 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 15):

If you moved into that lane without checking for traffic, specially faster traffic, then YOU are the problem. Surely he had to slam his brakes. How do you think many pile ups are caused?

Yeah cuz me doing 59 in a 50 to get into the exit was so horrible. He was ~500 ft back when I made the lane move.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

WestJetYQQ

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:26 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 11):
For all you know he'd follow you home and pull out a bat, a crowbar or worse, a gun on you.

That's when you lead the guy pointlessly all over town, instead of leading him to your own home. If he follows you for too long, just call the cops and say a guy is chasing/following you and that he (maybe) has a gun.

Just another day on the road. Big grin

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

Mir

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:39 am

I'm not going to have him ride my bumper without letting him know that what he's doing isn't very bright.

I would bet that he knows it's not very bright. I'd also bet that he couldn't care less.

Perhaps. Or perhaps you pissed him off enough to take it out not only on you like he did, but on other drivers on the road as well.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

2H4

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:47 am

I also hate tailgaters with a passion. It baffles me how, when presented with the choice of dozens of various positions on the road, people can voluntarily choose the one position that is exponentially more likely to result in a collision.

I don't retaliate like our friend Falcon84, though. I opt for a slightly more subtle method.

My VW GTI has headlight washers. And these headlight washers pump out an obscene amount of washer fluid when activated. Way, way more than necessary.

At first, I considered them a waste for this very reason. Gallons of mist seemed to be needlessly dumped out over the roof of my car.

But then, one day, while observing (in my rear-view mirror) the vast clouds of washer fluid blasting out behind my car and creating vapor rivaling that of a fully-loaded 777 departing Amsterdam on a humid day, I realized something.

These aren't headlight washers. These are countermeasures.

So I decided to give them a whirl in their new-found role. Later that day, a jackass in a Porsche Cayenne Turbo barreled on up and started riding my tail. Super close. Like within a few feet. Unnecessarily, too, as we were on an interstate doing 5 over with no cars around us.

So on went my headlights (necessary to activate the headlight washers), and with a light pull of the lever, Mr Jackass was completely covered in washer fluid. He had to turn on his own wipers before the first blast was even complete.

It was hugely satisfying. Mr Jackass was not amused, however. He jerked his car out into the passing lane and blew past me while giving me the finger.

I like to think he saw me laughing.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

cwapilot

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:06 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 19):
He jerked his car out into the passing lane and blew past me while giving me the finger.

Tailgating with a perfectly good passing lane available is a different story. Recently, I had someone pull that on me on I-88 when I was in the right lane. I maintained my speed, already 10 over, and he finally blew past me in the passing lane. I used my brake with nobody behind me when I noticed a white sedan sitting in the median ahead...he didn't, and the speed demon in the mighty Corolla was subsequently able to have the pleasure of getting to know an Illinois State Trooper...quite the effective countermeasure! I moved over and slowed down, as is the law, and I KNOW he saw me laughing at him as I passed.

N243NW

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:40 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 19):

This is ingenious. I'll have to try to fit a pair to my Civic to see if it works.  Smile
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

TSS

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:21 am

Quoting Cwapilot (Reply 20):
Tailgating with a perfectly good passing lane available is a different story.

This used to happen to me in my station wagon ALL THE TIME! Two or three perfectly good lanes of freeway available, I'm in the far right lane doing the speed limit or just slightly above, and where is the only other car on the road? Five feet away from my back bumper.

Quoting N243NW (Reply 21):
Quoting 2H4 (Reply 19):

This is ingenious. I'll have to try to fit a pair to my Civic to see if it works.

At various times I did seriously consider installing one or more 007-esque countermeasures on the station wagon, since it had no shortage of enclosed storage spaces just inside the tailgate and I'm more than reasonably handy with tools and wiring, but in the end my better nature prevailed.

That's not to say that I didn't look long and hard at various windshield washer reservoirs and assorted hardware whenever I was at a salvage yard and think to myself "Hmmm... I bet I could mount that in the storage box in the rear quarter panel, run the tubing into the tailgate with the wiring for the power window, and only have to drill one small hole in the tailgate itself...".  devil 
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

airtrainer

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:53 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

Unfortunately, these idiots have some cousins here in Belgium, and it seems that the huge family is growing everyday  Wink
Life is short : eat dessert first !

vikkyvik

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:16 am

Retaliation was NOT the right thing to do

I don't like tailgaters either and I avoid doing it, but I will if I have to get a point across

Isn't that exactly what you said not to do?

Tailgating to get your point across doesn't sound like a good idea either. If your point is that if s/he slams on the brakes for whatever reason, you're going to plow into him and cause major injury - not to mention being at fault in the accident - then you may have a point  Smile

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 19):
So on went my headlights (necessary to activate the headlight washers), and with a light pull of the lever, Mr Jackass was completely covered in washer fluid. He had to turn on his own wipers before the first blast was even complete.

It was hugely satisfying.

I bet it was. Nevertheless, I'm the kind of guy who'd be about to do that, then think, "wait, what if his windshield gets covered, and he's temporarily blinded while driving 10 feet behind me???" Ah well.

I also cannot stand tailgaters. Drives me absolutely insane sometimes. And freaking SoCal is full of them.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Flighty

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:03 am

Falcon, you did the right thing. Although, consider that maybe his wife was having a baby. It's always a possibility.

But, on the other hand, if he is just endangering you for no reason, why not give him some warning shots with your revolver. Then hopefully he stops doing his naughty deeds. He will be a lot less frisky with no back window. He may even catch on fire, ending his assault of you and your loved ones. I am only kidding!

dragon6172

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:00 pm

How about continuing to go 8 miles an hour over the speed limit, complete passing the car you are passing, and move the F over? You were the jackass with the whole lining up with another car thing.

I can guarantee that if I am in the fast lane passing I am easily going 10-15 over the limit. I put up with tailgaters until they get so close I can not see their headlights in my mirror. When that happens I slow down, not a brake check, just slow down. I figure if I'm going to get into an accident because of some ass clown tailgater, I don't want to have any broken laws on my side of the accident report. Also, a slower crash should be less violent... so I am actually looking out for both myself and the jackass!!

Quoting Flighty (Reply 25):
Although, consider that maybe his wife was having a baby

Ya, cause that is a great excuse to tailgate!!

My favorite is when they pass and give the finger or scowl. I always just smile and give a thumbs up!!  bigthumbsup 
Phrogs Phorever

offloaded

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:44 pm

Mostly if someone's tailgating me I move on over as soon as possible. You never know if the guy has been drinking, doing drugs, or is just an idiot.

Just because he hits you don't bet that it is considered to be all his fault. In the UK you would probably both end up with tickets for driving without due care and attention. If you deliberately cause an accident and the cops get involved, I'm willing to bet it would be the same in the US. Also, again in the US, as JBirdAV8r suggested, do you really want to take the risk of him being armed? And then what he if he has no insurance? You'll be spending a whole lot of time on paperwork.

The only thing I have done on rare ocassion when I have no where to move over too is flip on my rear fog lights. That usually gets the message across.

My biggest pet hate in the US though is drivers who don't keep right. Maybe if slower traffic kept right, you'd get less tailgating?
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

unattendedbag

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:47 pm

I slowly hit the breaks to slow the car, and let the guy know "hey, you're too close to my rear end, fella."

GET OVER!
Slower traffic, keep right

Dreadnought

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Quoting Offloaded (Reply 27):
The only thing I have done on rare ocassion when I have no where to move over too is flip on my rear fog lights. That usually gets the message across.

Cars in the US do not have European-style fog lights, unfortunately.

Quoting Offloaded (Reply 27):
My biggest pet hate in the US though is drivers who don't keep right. Maybe if slower traffic kept right, you'd get less tailgating?

True. Lane discipline in this country is a joke, and people who drive fast end up weaving through traffic.

As much as my own instinct would be to get right, let him start to pass, and just before he clears, come back hard left, clip his rear bumper and send him spinning into the weeds, I think the others are right in that the best thing is simply to get right and let him pass. All you are doing is raising his blood pressure and increasing the likelyhood that he will do something even more stupid than what he is already.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

Leezyjet

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:14 pm

I agree with Cwapilot, just move over when you are able and let them be on their way. Unless you are a policeman, then if it NOT your job to enforce the speed limit or "teach people a lesson".

There are also far too many people who when sat behind the wheel of a car are not actually driving, yeah the car may be in motion, but they are doing the shopping, wondering what to wear, what they are going to say in that next meeting, chatting on their mobile phones -anything except actually concentrating on the task in hand of driving the vehicle. One of the first things that goes is situational awareness, and checking the rear view mirror so they just sit there, fat dumb and happy whilst holding everyone else up often not even realising the problems they are causing.

In the UK, you can only legally pass on the right, rather than on either side like in the US. We often have people sitting in the middle or outside lanes doing the speed limit or less, whilst the inside lane is empty so there is no need for them to be there so faster traffic has a choice, either undertake which is potentially dangerous (although I fail to see how as it works quite well on 8 lane roads in the US - so should be fine on our 3 lane roads too) or move up behind them, and flash the lights to get them out of the way or just be held up by them which isn't really acceptable when there are empty lanes.

Most people when driving, just want to go about their day and get on with it. They don't want to be taught lessons by someone who is not authorised to perform that, so next time if you choose to be a slower driver, just move the f**k over and let faster traffic be on their way then everyone stays happy. It really isn't that hard.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

metroliner

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:06 pm

and stay right there, goin 5 miles OVER the speed limit for the next 5 miles.

Wait, why were you even overtaking if it meant going over the speed limit and staying there?

Sure, tailgaters are shite, but you're in the wrong from the word go with that statement. They simply aren't worth it.
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

Jalap

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Hmm, however much I hate those idiots, I'll always just let them pass. I totally fail to see the point in retaliating, attempts to teach a lesson or expressing my irritation.

Contributing to my passivity is my very recognizable car  Smile

N328KF

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:40 pm

My Audi (like many European cars) has a separate switch to activate the rear foglight, which is normally on the rear driver's side, and which happens to be bright red. On some Audis (at least, mine), there is still an empty light socket on the passenger's side. I know several people who have placed bulbs into that socket, so that activating the rear foglights appears like brakelights, but without actually having to slow down.

Anyhow, the point of this exercise is to offer a safer countermeasure against tailgaters.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

UPS707

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Coming home from work, I had some jackass get within about 3 feet of my bumper, because ,I guess, going 8 miles an hour over the speed limint wasn't enough for him.

I normally wouldn't get involved in threads like this, and I hate tailgaters as much as the next guy, but for you to not believe that you played a significant part in this isn't correct. Maybe it is the fact that I lived in the UK for 12 years where lane discipline is a common thing (For those that think it isn't, try Sacramento for a day or two), but if you need to pass, get in the lane, do it and get out of it. I was wondering about your speed based on the fact that you had the time to brake-check him not once, but twice, before having to "pull up even" with him. I had to re-read it, then found my answer. From your own quotes, you were barely going fast enough to pass this guy without taking from now until next year to do it. If you didn't want to speed up any more to get around him in a timely fashion, slow down 3-4 mph and sit behind him.

I'm normally a 5-6 over the limit kind of guy, and I ride the #2 lane unless I need an exit, or need to pass. That keeps me out of the slowing and merging of the exits without hogging a lane or forcing people to pass me on the right. I love to let the kind of guy you're talking about pass me..... if there's someone in front of me going faster, they become my "ticket shield" and will take care of any officers up ahead.

The other factor as people have mentioned is your own safety. There was an incident similar to yours here in Sacramento a few years ago. Except when they got to that light, it was Red, and the guy in the back got out of his car, walked up to the other car, shot and killed the guy on the spot. He went from being a Father of 2 to a Cross by the side of the road in 5 miles. I used to be a more aggressive driver, but having to sit at that light and stare at that Cross (I swear that light was Red everytime I got to it) every morning for 6 months just embedded that reality into my mind. Let them be as stupid as they want, just don't give them the chance to endanger you, your family or anything else that is important.

Fly2HMO

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 24):

Tailgating to get your point across doesn't sound like a good idea either. If your point is that if s/he slams on the brakes for whatever reason, you're going to plow into him and cause major injury - not to mention being at fault in the accident - then you may have a point

What I'm getting at is that I don't do it as a habit, and IF I do it it's a calculated risk. I don't have to put up with an idiot clogging up the PASSING lane. And if I find some idiot going under or at the speed limit in the passing lane making me have to pass on the right I will honk at them.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 29):
True. Lane discipline in this country is a joke, and people who drive fast end up weaving through traffic.

It's pathetic. I've found Arizona and Nevada drivers to be the worse for this by far. People there love to drive in formation and do half-hour long passes, or not pass at all. They don't realize how dangerous that is, specially when passing a semi. If you're gonna pass, do it swiftly, and move the freak over!

BigOrange

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm with you on that one. I don't just tap the brakes, I hit them hard and watch the other driver sh*t himself.

My response to idiots that don't keep right is to pass them on the right when I can, swing back in front and then hit the brakes

don81603

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:08 pm

I wouldn't bet any money on that...

Not only lane discipline, but lane control is a joke. On US interstates, and main divided highways US 1, US 90, etc) the lanes are 10 feet wide minimum. With the average personal vehicle being a maximum of 6 feet wide, why do people find in neccesary to ride the center line? Simple... because they think they own the road. In the US, I've found, most people believe driving is a right, not a priviledge.. It is a priviledge. I see this type of behavior every hour of every day. Even in the righthand most lane of a multilane highway I've had people follow so close I can't even see their vehicle, just the shadow, and by law, (due to vehicle length and permit restrictions) I'm restricted to 20 km/h (12 mph) under the posted speed limit, and these dough heads just tailgate along even though there's a perfectly good empty lane to their left. In bad weather I'm a bit more tolerant, as they're letting me "show them the way", as I drive the same stretch of road at the same time every day Monday to Friday, and people tend to notice the same vehicle when they see it in the same place at the same time...

Back to the issue at hand. If i'm in the right lane on a clear day and some bozo starts tailgating, I just ignore them, unless they're really close, in which case I just turn off the cruise control and let the speed drop until they decide to pass. Then I let them get a good mile or 2 ahead of me, and carry on. If they happen to catch up to me while I'm passing someone, which with my restrictions is very rare, then sorry, but it sucks to be you until I get by this guy and can move over again.

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 35):
They don't realize how dangerous that is, specially when passing a semi.

Passing a semi slowly is more dangerous than you can possibly imagine. The tires are pressurized to between 95 and 105 PSI. If it blows, especially if the sidewall lets go, you are in a world of hurt if you're beside them. When the tread separates, if has the energy to go through the glass like it's not even there and decapitate you. On a less horrid scenario, the chunks of rubber from a blow out can take out your radiator, windows and what have you. I've seen windows of a building 4 feet away be blown out when a steering tire blew the side wall. Also, when the tire comes apart, it could easily cause the tire beside it to fail, or rip off the mudflap and hanger. Now you have a chunk of angle iron cartwheeling through the air at upwards of 65 mph, not to mention the possible loss of vehicle control if it's a steering tire that let go. if it's not a steering tire, then blow out could sever the service air lines to the brakes, causing a "brake dynomite", in which the parking brakes are applied, and right now. If the semi is loaded light, the unit can fishtail before coming to a near instant stop. If it loaded heavy, it could still fishtail and will take longer to stop, but the forces being placed on the braking components could cause THEM to fail, and there's the possibility of brake components flying out from under the trailer. The long and short of it is: If you're going to pass a semi, get out, and get past as quickly as you can... And for pete's sake, don't cut back in front too soon, and "hit the brakes" as someone mentioned. That's a good way to get killed. An empty semi weighs about 34,000 lbs. Even a bobtail truck is around 18,000 lbs. And a bobtail doesn't stop all that well. 95% of the brakes are in the back, and are designed to work under a load. When bobtailing, and quich stab on the brakes can, and most likely will cause a skid.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Fly2HMO

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:05 pm

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 37):
Passing a semi slowly is more dangerous than you can possibly imagine.

If it blows, especially if the sidewall lets go, you are in a world of hurt if you're beside them.

Very true. Fortunately for me I got thousands of highway driving miles, so I've seen almost everything that could go wrong in a highway, specially for somebody my age. Yet 99% of the crash dummies on the road aren't aware of the dangers.

I've seen this happen many times. A few when I was driving but I was well clear of it on all occasions (which is why you want to pass a semi QUICKLY) and one time when I was in a shuttle. Of course, the shuttle driver was an idiot about it. He did the usual hour long pass on a semi and next thing you know BOOOOOM!!! One of the outer tires in the cab blew, there was shrapnel all over and a rather large chunk hit my window (i was in the copilots seat, i very well could've been in the hospital had the window been down). The truck swerved within inches next to us and what did the idiot shuttle driver do? Swerve and slam on the brakes.  banghead  I had to give him a lecture on how to pass trucks. You'd think a shuttle driver would know better, guess not  irked 

Anyways, like I said, pass a truck briskly, the less time you spend next to one, the better.

Also, If you're behind an idiot doing an hour long pass on a semi, DO NOT trail behind this guy and certainly DO NOT get next to the truck until that guy passing is well clear of it so you can pass.

chrisair

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:06 pm

For those of you who think tapping your brakes like this is a good idea, several people have been killed by this "brake screeching" phenomena. In fact, a person in California was killed when they did this and the truck behind them drove over their car.

There was a great article in the SJ Mercury News some six months ago called "Fatal consequences of brake screeching." It was a column by Gary Richards (Mr Roadshow).

And to all you Oregonians in this thread, drive the speed limit. If the speed is 65, that does not mean 55 or 45. It means 65*.

*Weather permitting, obviously.

IMissPiedmont

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:10 pm

The drivers I hate are the damn yankees that come down here this time of year and have no clue how to maintain a speed. They go up to 55 then slow down to 45, then back up , and down, and .....on and on. I guess the thought of setting the cruise control is too hard for them.

PS: I just ignore tailgaiters and go about my business.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

A332

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Next time, just move out of the way. You put your life (and others) on the line when you decide to play around with an aggressive driver.

Just let them pass... obviously they have somewhere 'important' they so desperately need to be... and hey, if they get caught speeding a mile or two down the road, it's hilarious when you pass and laugh your ass off at them.

Don't retaliate... that's just stupid.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

aero145

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:34 pm

And if I find some idiot going under or at the speed limit in the passing lane making me have to pass on the right I will honk at them.

and move the freak over!

As much as I often agree with and like your posts, here you seem a bit ”road-raged”. There are surely many people who don’t really realize what you mean by the honking and/or slowing them down with showing brake lights. If they’re stupid, you cannot change it. Let them be stupid and know you aren’t.  Silly

Jalap

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:46 pm

On a related note, really gotta listen to this very comical song:
Nervous Norvus - Transfusion

It's hilarious, written from the perspective of a die-hard speeding driver who ends up in an accident time after time, each time needing a transfusion and each time saying "never never gonna speed again". Alas...

It's from the '50's and quite prophetical: "Barnyard drivers come in two classes: line clogging hogs and speeding jackasses"  Smile

vikkyvik

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:30 pm

Quoting Ups707 (Reply 34):
From your own quotes, you were barely going fast enough to pass this guy without taking from now until next year to do it.

Let's say he's passing the guy at 3-4 MPH. That's around 5 ft/sec. So it takes him about 3 seconds to pass the actual car.

Add 75 feet before and after (it's not far enough, I know, but seems fairly typical). You get a grand total of 33 seconds. Is it really that big a deal to wait half a minute for someone to get clear of your lane?

What I'm getting at is that I don't do it as a habit, and IF I do it it's a calculated risk. I don't have to put up with an idiot clogging up the PASSING lane. And if I find some idiot going under or at the speed limit in the passing lane making me have to pass on the right I will honk at them.

I understood exactly what you were getting at. No, you don't have to put up with it. And he doesn't have to put up with you tailgating either. If you cause an accident by rear-ending him, your defense of "well I was pissed off that I had to wait for him!" probably won't look very good.

The tires are pressurized to between 95 and 105 PSI. If it blows, especially if the sidewall lets go, you are in a world of hurt if you're beside them.

I remember being in a school bus in high school on a field trip or something. We were on MA-128 / I-95 I think, and suddenly we all heard a HUGE bang. I mean, it was really freaking loud. Turned out a truck had blown a tire, and a giant piece of rubber had slammed into the front of the bus. I don't know how it didn't go through, or even crack the windshield.

Quoting Chrisair (Reply 39):
And to all you Oregonians in this thread, drive the speed limit. If the speed is 65, that does not mean 55 or 45. It means 65*.

Nothing wrong with going under the speed limit, long as you stick to the slow lanes. A "limit" doesn't mean you have to go this fast.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

chrisair

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:16 pm

I think I might be the only one here who enjoys driving in LA or the Bay Area.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 44):
Nothing wrong with going under the speed limit, long as you stick to the slow lanes. A "limit" doesn't mean you have to go this fast.

Agreed. However, a slow lane does not mean you can go super slow. Several weeks ago driving PHX-TUS, a pickup/jalopy with a 15 foot tall load of bed parts, wood and other junk is going 35 on the 10 freeway in a two lane section. The speed limit is 75. It was incredibly dangerous because people were forced to cut over to get around the clown.

I wish all states were like South Carolina and had minimum speeds on the freeways. It's incredibly dangerous to go drastically under the speed limit. People just don't realize that. Driving 60 in a 65 is one thing. Driving 50 (or less!) is another.

PHLBOS

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Quoting Cwapilot (Reply 6):
Commit insurance fraud and endanger lives to make a point...and someone else needs to learn?

Insurance fraud is the key word here. Once upon a time, if someone rear-ends another vehicle; insurance companies used to automatically charge/cite the person who did the rear-ending.

However, when it was discovered that a sizable chunk of rear-endings were indeed instigated by the driver in front hitting on the brakes to prove a point as opposed to stopping to avoid hitting another vehicle, pedestrian and/or animal; many insurance companies (and states) have reconsidered the so-called automatic ruling in rear-endings as a means to reduce/discourage insurance fraud.

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 36):
I don't just tap the brakes, I hit them hard and watch the other driver sh*t himself.

Food for thought, if the other driver is in a larger vehicle (especially if its a mid '70s or older full-size) than yours or a truck; that may be the last move you ever make.

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 30):
Unless you are a policeman, then if it NOT your job to enforce the speed limit or "teach people a lesson".

checkmark  A few years back while watching a news story (forget which station) talking about Road Rage; reaction to a tailgating vehicle was indeed one of the subjects of discussion. A part of the segment showed CHP Officer Hannigan (narrator of the Real Stories of the Highway Patrol T.V. show) mentioned that it is NOT one's job to willfully hog the left lane and drive in such a way to hold up traffic (espeically if one is driving AT or below the speed limit). He even reiterated that it is NOT anyone's job to play policemen in such a matter.

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

checkmark  I've had that happen to me a few times as well.

Quoting Ups707 (Reply 34):
I love to let the kind of guy you're talking about pass me..... if there's someone in front of me going faster, they become my "ticket shield" and will take care of any officers up ahead.

checkmark  Been there, done that.

Although related more to rear-ending as opposed to tailgating, one reason why the high-mounted brake/stop lamp became standard equipment on cars (1986 for the U.S.) was indeed due to people (especially elderly drivers) getting rear-ended. From waht I've read, that higher light has reduced the number of rear-end accidents (regardless of cause) out there.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

vikkyvik

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:38 pm

Quoting Chrisair (Reply 45):

Agreed. However, a slow lane does not mean you can go super slow. Several weeks ago driving PHX-TUS, a pickup/jalopy with a 15 foot tall load of bed parts, wood and other junk is going 35 on the 10 freeway in a two lane section. The speed limit is 75. It was incredibly dangerous because people were forced to cut over to get around the clown.

Yeah I hear ya. My real pet peeve is people who don't even make an attempt to reach freeway speeds whilst merging from an onramp.

I mean, look, I drive a Civic with 127 horses; I'm not going to break any quarter-mile records anytime soon. But even I manage to do a reasonably decent job of getting the car up to a safe freeway-merging speed, even on the many short-and-curvy onramps you find in the LA area.

Quoting Chrisair (Reply 45):
I think I might be the only one here who enjoys driving in LA or the Bay Area.

I absolutely HATE driving on the freeways in LA. That said, I like driving on many of the surface streets, at least here down in the South Bay, where traffic isn't generally a nightmare.

That said, I very much miss the dark, curvy, driving-through-a-tunnel-of-trees roads back in New England.

greasespot

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Ahhh the old Brake Check...

Depending on the car you are dealing with, I would have tapped the brakes and let him hit me

Here that would mean Criminal charges of Dangerous Driving.....He may be following to closely which is a traffic offense. But intentionally causing a collision takes it to a whole new level.

Here is an Idea...If there is two lanes and he is driving to close for you why not just pull over, let him pass. It is only a car. Not worth the hassle and aggravation.

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

2H4

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 38):
Anyways, like I said, pass a truck briskly, the less time you spend next to one, the better.

Now if only we could get the truckers to take less than 5 minutes to pass a car. On I-94 in Michigan, at least, the truckers are the plague of the road.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank