MarSciGuy
Topic Author

Work From Home: Data Entry (or Other)...

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:24 pm

Does anyone know of any sites/companies that are better than others in this field? Are they ALL scams or just a few? Any personal experiences either way at all? I'm considering applying to one to have some income coming in between now and May as I attend school. I would strongly prefer (really have to) make more than 8-9/hr, though will go with that if that's the best I can get.

Thanks!

MarSciGuy
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

nighthawk

RE: Work From Home: Data Entry (or Other)...

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Quoting MarSciGuy (Thread starter):
I would strongly prefer (really have to) make more than 8-9/hr

Good luck! There are people in other countries that will do just as good a job for $1/hr.

Try the likes of elance.com, guru.com etc, but you'll be very lucky to find anything for an even remotely decent wage.

gordonsmall

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:12 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 1):
Try the likes of elance.com, guru.com etc, but you'll be very lucky to find anything for an even remotely decent wage.

Exactly, it's supply and demand, the sites mentioned are chocked full of people all chasing the same few scraps of decent work.

Besides, as a freelancer (or homeworker if you prefer), your hourly rate is pretty much academic anyway, as you'll never manage to fit in a full working week of 40 hours.

I was a consultant for a few years until very recenty, and I was lucky if I managed to get 20 chargable hours in an average week, the rest was taken up doing my own paperwork, travelling between clients and other non chargeable functions.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

MarSciGuy
Topic Author

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:26 pm

Well, options 2 and 3 are substitute teaching and working on-campus for either the library (minimum wage, maybe a bit more) or another on-campus dept, so...unless there are marine science related work from home jobs floating around out there  Wink
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"