fxramper

Avatar The Movie, Will You See It? (reviewed)

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:49 pm

bigthumbsup 

I'm completely surprised how much I enjoy this film. I'm home for a week from work, and went to see Jim Cameron's newest soon to be classic. I don't know what he smoked back in 1994 to get the idea for this movie, but he did a hell of a job. Saw it with my twin and his brother in law.

Casting Sam Worthington was brilliant. I plan to see the remake of the classic, Clash of the Tians, with Sam in the lead role after seeing Avatar.

Visuals are second to no film I've seen. Acting is great. Direction and casting was fantastic. Story is worthy of recognition. Film was just right on time, not too long, developed all characters. Action packed with a romantic tale and history of the people.

A little slow in 2 spots, cheesy in 1 spot, and I don't know why he really focused on the natives with the American Indian twist, but overall I gave it a 9 out of 10.

I highly recommend seeing it at a IMAX theater if possible.

Have you seen the movie or plan on it?

Revelation

RE: Avatar The Movie, Will You See It? (reviewed)

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:20 pm

I might see the 2D version.

Did you see it in 3D?

3D is useless to me, since I do not have binocular vision.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

ArmitageShanks

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:31 am

No, because I don't like science fiction.

gosimeon

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:01 am

Saw it in my local cinema in 3D and wow, what a movie and story.

bill142

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:10 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 2):
No, because I don't like science fiction.

I don't like science fiction either, but I quite liked it. Visually, its very stunning. The story isn't that far fetched either. The basic premise of it has occurred in the past. Just this time the setting is dramatically different.

teo747

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:40 am

I saw Avatar this afternoon in 3D. While the plot was a little predictable and certain parts dragged on a little bit, the visuals were quite simply stunning and unlike anything I've ever seen before. For the visual effects alone, I would highly recommend it for any movie fan regardless of whether or not you enjoy the science fiction genre. If this is the future of CGI animation in movies, I'm very excited to see what comes next.

AF340

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:54 am

I just saw it and was disappointed. Maybe it was all the hype or the incredibly basic plot, but I just didn't really like it. The special effects were pretty cool, but not as stunning as I expected. Maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea. I would give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Liam

Springbok747

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:33 am

Haven't seen it, don't plan on seeing it in theatres, I'll wait for the DVD.
אני תומך בישראל

af773atmsp

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:01 am

Just saw it. Best movie I've seen! I want to see it again!

10 out of 10!
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

ArmitageShanks

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:07 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 4):
The story isn't that far fetched either.

Yeah, it pretty much is. Its people living on other planets. That's enough for me.

I just don't like far fetched fiction.

ShyFlyer

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:16 am

Probably not. Most of the trailers I've seen for the movie don't really explain what the movie is about. Mostly they describe how awesome and fantastic and magical James Cameron is.

I'll wait until it comes out on cable.
I lift things up and put them down.

bill142

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:26 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 9):
Yeah, it pretty much is. Its people living on other planets. That's enough for me.

It's a lot more involved than that.

mke717spotter

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Is this going to be the next Star Wars?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

rfields5421

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Movie and visuals were exceptional.

Story was stilted and lame. Poor plot and character development.

A classic - never.

A technology breakthrough - certainly.

Fly2HMO

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Well rotten tomatoes has given it great reviews so I guess I'll see it eventually.

TheRedBaron

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:41 am

Saw it in 3D.

Superb eye candy.
Great creatures.
Believable environment.
Script is like the Smurfs meet the Matrix, meets dances with wolves with Ferngully added on top of it.

I will see it again just for the wonderful CGI. the rest is..... a 6.5 at best.

My 2 pesos. TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Airstud

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:25 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 1):
3D is useless to me, since I do not have binocular vision.

Same here!!!!

Isn't it frustrating how so many fun-looking movies are coming out in 3D these days?

I sure would like to see visual whiz-bang like this Avatar dealy on a IMAX screen, but it's tough to find in a non-3D format. And for you and me seeing it in 3D would mean seeing a sea of purplish blurriness.

Why couldn't they have left 3D movies in the 1950's where they belonged... sigh...
Pancakes are delicious.

JAL

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:55 pm

The movie was amazing! Not only did it have amazing acting and special effects also love the message of peace and unity and the need to more aware to protect our environment.
Work Hard But Play Harder

HOMER71

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:12 pm

I'll see it...and root for the humans
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

EISHN

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:36 pm

The problem is that it has been so incredibly hyped up, and far too many people had perceptions as to how they think the movie should be, and not how it really is, or how it's creator truly envisioned it.

If you to see it with a completely open mind, you'll be amazed. I was.

I'm a huge Cameron fan, and have avoided trailers, stills, articles and interviews about the film, and went in with a completely open mind, and was very, very happy.

The story was good, and there was good character developement, the thing is, we've seen it all before, but that doesn't make it bad.

The effects are astounding, and at times I had to remind myself that the natives in the film (the Na'vi) were all filmed using an enhanced motion capture system, and realised with photo-real graphics by Weta (famous for Lord of the Rings, and King Kong) who are now the industry's premier effects house.

The effects are there to tell the story, enhance it, whereas the likes of Transformers is more about shoving as much as you can on screen and making a quick buck, rather than giving us depth and heart, which is why Tranformers is so boring.

With Avatar we are given an emotional attachment through the characters, and the story, helped by the fact that we can relate with the Na'vi, and detest the humans.

The film is not like so many others these days which focus around enviormental parables (The Simpsons), instead commenting in imperial colonialism. Considering this is an American film, it is unusual to see the insurgents winning the battle, rather than the domineering military force, but then Cameron is Canadian.

The world that Cameron has created is a mouth watering visual feast, and even more impressive considering it doesn't exist anywhere apart from the mainframe in Wellington.

Cameron is an action film director at heart, and this shines through at the end of the film, teaching the others how it's really done.

Avatar offers a story we can easily become attached to, and a side we can easily root for, a world so detailed in both looks and sounds, great action sequences, and effects to wow over the most hardened effects cynic.

If you can see it in 3-D, I highly recommend it. It's not the type of 3-D where it comes out into the audience nauseatingly, it instead gives the world great depth and further enhances the film.

This is not something that you just save to watch on DVD/bluray, go out there and see it on the biggest screen possible.

Go see it with an open mind, not determined to love it or loathe it, or to see what you believe you should see, but rather what Cameron has offered us. It's his vision, and it's up to you to seriously make you own mind up. I did, and I loved it.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

slider

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 12):

Blasphemy!!!!

Arsenal@LHR

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:03 pm

If 3D animation is the future of movies, then that's quite depressing, i've never like animated films and never will, it just feels way too amateur/cartoonish/childish. Where are the Predator/Commando/Rambo style movies?
In Arsene we trust!!

Airstud

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:37 pm

Is it playing anywhere in IMAX non-3D???
Pancakes are delicious.

aerorobnz

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Quoting FXramper (Thread starter):
A little slow in 2 spots, cheesy in 1 spot, and I don't know why he really focused on the natives with the American Indian twist, but overall I gave it a 9 out of 10.

Not just Native Americans, it's the story and similar beliefs of Indigenous peoples the world over. African costumes too...

I have to say I really was not interested in the slightest in going - and actually thought I'd really dislike it, but I was dragged along by the g/f. I actually quite enjoyed it. There were aspects of all the James Cameron films in it i thought. As always it's a pleasure watching the human race getting smashed by the animals, some of the fight scenes at the end were laugh out loud cool in the way that Jurassic Park dinosaurs eating humans are.... It was perhaps a little preachy at times, and cos I was watching in 3D it took a while for my eyes to really adjust. I would have liked a bit more 3D violence, but I'd give it 7 or 8/10.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Fly2HMO

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:44 pm

Just saw last night, non 3D. I'll give it a 6/10.

The plot is extremely predictable (and no I don't watch tv or have any way of getting bombarded with hype), within 10 minutes I already had figured out the whole movie ( I do have a very good knack for predicting movie outcomes though). It's the typical militaristic-evil-corporation-taking-advantage-of-a-minority-but-the-minority-overthrows-the-evil-corporation-and-throws-a-big-party (with some bits of love sprinkled here and there) type movie. *yawn*

As far as a visual experience, yes I'll give credit where it's due, it is in and of itself quite an achievement. But I couldn't help myself feeling overwhelmed. There's just too many scenes where it's clear that the only purpose to them is to create oooohs and aaaaahs from the audience. It got old very quick.

Also, the soundtrack was rather disappointing for a movie of these proportions. Sure, it does the job, but an epic movie needs an epic sound track. They should've gotten John Williams to do the job.

Anyways, my (as always, cynical) 2 cents.

[Edited 2009-12-23 14:50:29]

aerorobnz

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 24):
The plot is extremely predictable

absolutely agree - I forgot to put that cos it was so obvious... Silly. I demote my grade by 1 point.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Braybuddy

Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Just saw it tonight, and if I were to sum it up, I'd say Iraq war meets 9/11 meets Deep Forest meets acid. I'm not a fan of action-packed blockbusters, but had to go and see this in 3D to see what all the fuss was about and I THOROUGHLY enjoyed it! Okay, the plot is formulaic and very predictable, but it's worth seeing for the effects alone. I actually didn't mind the action-packed sequences: the 3D actually gave then an extra dimension (sorry) and they were quite spectacular. Despite the hype about the effects, CGI still hasn't given us completely lifelike figures, but they're close.

But why does Grace smoke in the workplace in the 22nd century, and why does Neytiri speak English with an eastern European accent?

Airport

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:05 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 24):
Also, the soundtrack was rather disappointing for a movie of these proportions. Sure, it does the job, but an epic movie needs an epic sound track. They should've gotten John Williams to do the job.

As a huge film score enthusiast, I must highly highly disagree.  Smile

I just saw Avatar (absolutely loved it, though I hated the 3D, which I think might be a problem unique to my eyes or something...).

It might just be that film scores today have become so industrialized and predictable fueled by the mechanical electronics and faux-orchestras led by Hans Zimmer and the Media Ventures gang (I actually find Zimmer scores to be somewhat enjoyable, but the trend he started has become so overused and misused), that hearing Avatar's full orchestra and choir score (laced with electronics intellegently) felt really refreshing. While I think John Williams is a fantastic artist and composer, I do not think he is the end-all-be-all of the composing world as many seem to believe. Nor do I think his work and style (especially comparing his latest work that he's done in this century) would've entirely suited the movie.

Maybe it's just me, but I found James Horner's score to be a fantastic, refreshing sound that harks back to his glory days of writing action music in the late 80s and early 90s. By the way, if you like John Williams, I highly recommend you hear Alan Silvestri's score to The Mummy Returns (awful movie, but amazing score!), or John Debney's incredible score to Cutthroat Island! Wonderful scores! Wonderful music that's entirely overlooked in general.

Here's a review I highly agree with after seeing the movie (I refused to read reviews of anything about Avatar until after seeing the film):
http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/avatar.html

mirrodie

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:55 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 6):
I just saw it and was disappointed. Maybe it was all the hype or the incredibly basic plot

And I stopped reading the rest of the thread after that sentence. Though I heard if made even MORE $$$ this weekend, I am cautious as many are really hyping it and I dont want to be let down.

I am curious to see it as we have not seen a flick in the theaters in a long time. However, my gut is to wait for it to come to Blu Ray and just see it at home.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Aaron747

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:19 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 12):

Nonsense. Episode IV brought a whole new fantastic world to the screen without powerful computers and whiz-bang CGI studios in New Zealand that can do anything asked of them with enough time and money.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

cytz_pilot

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:46 am

I saw it with a bunch of people who really wanted to go see it (I had only seen a brief trailer and really didn't know anything about the movie). I thought it was great. Someone earlier in the thread wondered if it could be the next Star Wars and I think that could be a fair comparison. Both movies have extremely simple stories but are still engaging and visually spectacular. Once the basic plot elements were in place, it was an extremely predictable movie...but very well done.

I was forced to see it in 3D though, ugh...suffered through a godawful headache for the first hour.

2707200X

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:43 am

I saw the movie, I really liked it but the theater was packed, no sitting spaces at all, people where standing against the walls and the rails.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Airstud

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:10 am

You know what's a great film score, is James Horner's work for Apollo 13.

(Mmmmmmm pancakes...)
Pancakes are delicious.

BNE

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:30 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 6):
I just saw it and was disappointed. Maybe it was all the hype or the incredibly basic plot, but I just didn't really like it. The special effects were pretty cool, but not as stunning as I expected. Maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea. I would give it a 6.5 out of 10

Exactly my thoughts; and for someone going to a new world why wouldn't you know about the creatures and some of the language; yes I know he was filling in for someone else but still.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

captaink

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:38 am

I like how the story was basically about the world's environmental problems, and it's attitude towards the environement, and America's war against 'terror.'

The eye candy was also great. Big grin I didn't watch it in 3D but I think I will return as I see it's 3D potential.
There is something special about planes....

Vega9000

Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:47 am

Just saw it this weekend, and I agree with most of the reviews here. The plot is predictable, there's way too many loopholes (they are using current weapons in 2154? Really?), and the characters are straight from the "standard book of action films".

that said...

This film in absolutely FANTASTIC! The effects are amazing, the alien world is made in excruciating detail, and the 3D...oh man, the 3D adds a whole new dimension to this film. Besides being extremely well made, Cameron uses 3D not to make stuff blow out of the screen, as was usual in 3D until now, but to add depth to the screen, and the final result is nothing short of AMAZING. It really puts you there in Pandora, and sometimes it looks like you're watching a theater play, with the life-like characters in front of you. The critics are right, this will change cinema forever. I couldn't help wonder what "The lord of the rings" would look like with this technology.

And also, on a side-note, this has put the cinema experience front and forward again. This is not a movie to watch in front of the TV, no matter how big your set is. This has to be seen in a cinema, in proper 3D. At least until the rumored 3D televisions come out, I will not buy the DVD.

Oh, and I saw it with my 9 year-old son. The marveled look on his face was everything, so yes, to his generation, this is the new Star-Wars. How I envy him...
Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.

AirPacific747

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:01 pm

I've seen it just before Christmas in 3D, and well I think it was easy to tell that the story was made up by an American (no offense) with all that US army stuff in the movie, but overall an OK movie. I too was a little disappointed though after all the hype in the media and from friends. I'm not too fond of Sci Fi either.

SPOILER ALERT:
Oh yeah btw, the way the army got owned in the end was pretty lame.. very unprofessional and very little organized attack/defense, but yeah I know it was part of the overall story and it had to happen.

edit:
There, sorry about that..

[Edited 2009-12-28 05:38:24]

kappel

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 7):
Haven't seen it, don't plan on seeing it in theatres, I'll wait for the DVD.

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 28):
However, my gut is to wait for it to come to Blu Ray and just see it at home.

IMHO big mistake, this is one of those movies that is MUST be seen in theatres to fully enjoy the ear and eye candy. (especially eye candy of course). I agree with most that the plot is very basic and very predictable. There is never any doubt about the outcome. But the eye candy is amazing, especially on the big screen in 3D. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The plot is basic, but still manages to suck you into the movie and did I mention the eye candy? LOL. Easily an 8/10 for me. I deduct points solely for the plot.

Quoting Vega9000 (Reply 35):
(they are using current weapons in 2154? Really?),

Cameron did the same in Aliens for example. Those weapons are also basically what we ahve now, albeit more powerfull. I guess he likes bullets more than ray guns, which I agree with.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 36):
Oh yeah btw, the way the army got owned in the end was pretty lame

Maybe best to put a spoiler alert before that comment, in case anyone is reading that hasn't seen it yet (and doesn't want to know the predictable end).
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

HOMER71

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:29 pm

Quoting Airport (Reply 27):
Maybe it's just me, but I found James Horner's score to be a fantastic, refreshing sound that harks back to his glory days of writing action music in the late 80s and early 90s.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 32):
You know what's a great film score, is James Horner's work for Apollo 13.

His theme to Glory (1989) is one of my favorites...a travesty the score didn't get an Oscar nomination.

Airport

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:02 am

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 38):
His theme to Glory (1989) is one of my favorites...a travesty the score didn't get an Oscar nomination.

Completely agree...I actually posted about that particular score here in this forum not too long ago when I joined. Definately one of my all-time favorites.
How About Some Really Beautiful, "Glorious" Music? (by Airport Sep 1 2009 in Non Aviation)

HOMER71

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:31 am

Quoting Airport (Reply 39):
I actually posted about that particular score here in this forum not too long ago when I joined.

Can't believe I missed that, thanks for the link!