Airstud
Topic Author

Shots And Hostages At Virginia Post Office!

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:59 pm

Saith the AP:

WYTHEVILLE, Va. – An armed man took five people hostage Wednesday at a post office in a small, rural town, officials said.

Shots were fired, but there were no reports of injuries. Police cordoned off a three-block area, and Virginia State Police sent in a SWAT team and a bomb technician.

"We've got quite a few folks on the scene," said Corinne Geller, a spokeschick for the Virginia State Police. "The individual is still in the office."

Mayor Trent Crewe told The Associated Press five hostages were in the building, including three employees and two customamers.

Postal worker Walt Korndorfer told the Wytheville Entermaprise he was in the Main Street Post Office when he heard shots and a co-worker ran past. He followed suit.

Police advised employees at nearby businesses to get out of buildings surrounding the post office.

Wytheville is the county seat of Wythe County, a southwest Virginia locality with fewer than 30,000 people.

Glad no one's hurt; and even gladder that someone is named "Korndorfer."

[Edited 2009-12-23 14:02:54]
Pancakes are delicious.

galapagapop

RE: Shots And Hostages At Virginia Post Office!

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
even gladder that someone is named "Korndorfer."

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

All kidding aside, hopefully this can be resolved peacefully, or at least without any casualties. Think it's seasonally related? I mean it is December 23rd.

KFLLCFII

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:31 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

"Gun-Free" zones: The criminal's playground.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Maverick623

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:43 am

For what it's worth, the situation is over. The guy gave up peacefully. Still no word on why he did it.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

racko

Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:05 am

Apparently all he wanted was a Pizza. Sure would have been cheaper to just give him one.

Mir

Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:49 am

Quoting Racko (Reply 4):
Apparently all he wanted was a Pizza.

Was he aware that Dominos does not use the postal service for deliveries - they have their own people for that?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

petertenthije

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:49 am

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
said Corinne Geller, a spokeschick for the Virginia State Police

This does not sound like an AP release to me.
Attamottamotta!

NAV20

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 2):

I'm every bit as much a 'gun freak' as you may be, KFLLCFII. Years back, I guess I 'qualified' on everything from the 9mm. Browning pistol through the Lee-Enfield and the FN all the way up to the 25-pounder field gun.........

But just what is 'the story' as you see it? A silly guy with a gun did something stupid and the local police sorted the problem out. No-one killed, no-one even injured.

Just can't see how this is any sort of 'news'?

And yes - I've visited West Virginia and love the place and its people.......in my experience they have a considerably higher 'common sense quotient' than people in most parts of the world......

[Edited 2009-12-24 04:15:34]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

dragon6172

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:31 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 7):
I've visited West Virginia and love the place and its people

Ya.... but this was in regular old Virginia. I've driven through West Virginia, good looking country. Work with a couple of West Virginians, have a few other friends from there... all and all good people. Not sure about the common sense though!!
Phrogs Phorever

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Quoting Racko (Reply 4):
Apparently all he wanted was a Pizza.

Should have made it pancakes.

Mmmmm pancakes....
Pancakes are delicious.

KFLLCFII

Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:54 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 7):

Quoting KFLLCFII:

I'm every bit as much a 'gun freak' as you may be, KFLLCFII. Years back, I guess I 'qualified' on everything from the 9mm. Browning pistol through the Lee-Enfield and the FN all the way up to the 25-pounder field gun.........

But just what is 'the story' as you see it?

'The story' is that armed criminals like this man know they would meet very little resistance in places such as post offices and other federal establishments, and any other locations or functions where the (licensed) possession of a firearm or other weapon is prohibited. Whether he said he was only looking for a pizza (as another poster mentioned), or looking for bloodshed, revenge of some sort, or any other sinister motive, it may as well be open season until long after the authorities arrive, set up a command post, potentially negotiate an outcome, and then determine and execute a course of action...All while hostages wait and ponder whether lives will be taken...Or whether they're next.

Fort Hood, Virginia Tech, Dawson College, Columbine, and countless other mass shootings where the (licensed) possession of a firearm or other weapon by the layperson was deemed illegal...How many of these tragedies could have been cut short by a legally-armed citizen/teacher/student in the wrong place at the right time?

And as for the idea that it's an accident waiting to happen? Those of you who aren't fond of legally-armed citizens milling about through society...How many times have you been witness to a bona fide accident involving a firearm out amidst the general public where a carry license was required and being exercised (not in the home, at the range, etc) by someone you didn't realize was carrying? Those that carry legally know they have too much to risk/lose by letting accidents happen, which is why they are very, very, very few and far between among the entire collective group.

That's 'the story' as I see it.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."