f.pier

Shower After Sport With Other Sex People

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Have you ever had the "in common shower" after sports with other sex people? Did you feel embarassed?
I never had it.

captaink

RE: Shower After Sport With Other Sex People

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Having a shower with people of the opposite sex? I haven't but I imagine embarassment wouldnt be what I would feel. HAHA
There is something special about planes....

Zentraedi

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:39 pm

lol, might wanna rephrase that. Instead of "other sex people", "people of the opposite sex". The image I got was some sort sporty orgy.

Anyway, where do they have these? Which sports are we talking about? Are these professional sports? University? How old are the people using these mixed-sex showers?

f.pier

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:47 pm

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 2):
Instead of "other sex people", "people of the opposite sex"

I agree, this must be better.

Depends on the sports, for example I play in a mixed volleyball team, but when we have showers, at the end of the match, all males (of both teams) take shower together and females do the same thing.

AGM100

Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:58 pm

Well we had a bi/ homosexual on our high-school football team ... he used to shower with us all the time. You know I never even thought much about it back then ... he was a great guy I don't recall people giving him any trouble . He got the same number of towel stingers that all of us got from the upper class men !! ouch
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

ShyFlyer

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:05 pm

If I had to take a shower with members of the opposite sex I wouldn't be embarrassed.  mischievous 
I lift things up and put them down.

NIKV69

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 4):
bi/ homosexual

?

Your either one of the other!  biggrin 
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

AGM100

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 6):
Your either one of the other!

Well I believe that he got married later on in life , not sure about the exact orientation ..
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

DocLightning

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:46 pm

I lived in a hippie co-op in college and we did have communal coed showers. Believe it or not, it's not as titillating as you think. You just get comfortable with it.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Springbok747

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:12 pm

All our sports facilities had different showers for males and females..so there was no way we could shower with the opposite sex. Plus they were all like private showers with curtains..so not like we were showering all together like they do in the movies or on TV.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 5):
If I had to take a shower with members of the opposite sex I wouldn't be embarrassed.

checkmark  I just never had the opportunity.
אני תומך בישראל

ACDC8

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:32 pm

I've been in mixed saunas in Germany and had a "hard" time on a few occasions ....  Silly

Don't ever recall ever seeing a co-ed shower though.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

TransIsland

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:46 pm

I vaguely remember a squash club in Berlin (near Richard-Wagner-Platz, IIRC) from my college days where they had unisex showers. No big deal, really.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

mham001

Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:02 pm

I had mixed showers at a nudist place I went with the Sierra Singles Club years ago but since everybody was naked most of the time anyway it didn't matter.
Recently at my schools showers, a community college, I've had several instances of gays getting bold. One guy seemed to always be there when I was and at least once was standing there staring with a hard on. I caught another fruity type peeking around the posts. I was not very happy about it.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:24 pm

The bathrooms in the dorms at Yale are co-ed. I found this out while visiting a friend up there. A bit awkward if you're not expecting it.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Kiwirob

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:17 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 10):
I've been in mixed saunas in Germany and had a "hard" time on a few occasions ....

Been there, I was in a mixed sauna in Hamburg with 3 super hot Russian girls, I stayed in as long as possible, hell of a moment, just couldn't leave until they did.

I've stayed in a couple of hostels which had mixed showers, it's not such a big deal, most of the women tend to be mingers, so not even worth a perve.

seb146

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:58 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
it's not as titillating as you think. You just get comfortable with it.

Kinda like a nude beach, I would imagine. After about 10 minutes, who cares?

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 12):
Recently at my schools showers, a community college, I've had several instances of gays getting bold. One guy seemed to always be there when I was and at least once was standing there staring with a hard on. I caught another fruity type peeking around the posts. I was not very happy about it.

I used to take a step class at the community college near me in PDX. I am gay, but I was taking the step class to improve my health. Shower time was just a bonus. But, it was only ever me in the shower, unfortunatly. I don't understand how, in a mixed setting like that, people think they can get away with funny business. I look, but that's it.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 14):
I've stayed in a couple of hostels which had mixed showers, it's not such a big deal, most of the women tend to be mingers, so not even worth a perve.

I have stayed in hostles, too, but the showers were always separate. Mostly Asian guys but all the showers had curtains. No big deal, though. As with clothing optional beaches and locker rooms: lookie no touchie.
Life in the wall is a drag.

Fabo

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:02 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 15):
No big deal, though. As with clothing optional beaches and locker rooms: lookie no touchie.

Dunno. I would most likely not feel any much comfortable with you looking (not that you would want to, but that is off-topic). Also same with the (random) girls.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

Zkpilot

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:34 am

Not quite sports, but in that movie Starship Troopers they all shower together after training.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

Gemuser

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:43 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 17):
Not quite sports, but in that movie Starship Troopers they all shower together after training.

Yes, but in Starship Troopers (the original novel, anyway) they also slept together in the barracks, not something common today AFAIK.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

us330

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 13):
The bathrooms in the dorms at Yale are co-ed. I found this out while visiting a friend up there. A bit awkward if you're not expecting it.

It's not that the bathrooms are co-ed, it's that they are officially non-assigned.
What dorm was your friend staying in? Was it on the Old Campus or were they in one of the colleges?
When you realize that Yale doesn't officially designate certain floors belonging to certain sexes, it saves the university a ton of money by not having to switch signs depending on who is living on the floor/entryway. That said, if you get the first suite on an entryway floor, you are allowed to specify whether you want the suite you share your bathroom with to be of the same sex. (the exception to the non-assigned rule is that freshman old campus dorms are exclusively male on the first floor, and about half of those dorms have in-suite bathrooms, and there is no co-ed rooming at Yale)

RussianJet

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
I lived in a hippie co-op in college and we did have communal coed showers. Believe it or not, it's not as titillating as you think. You just get comfortable with it.

But Doc, surely the whole novelty of looking at girls in the shower is totally lost on you what with you not being heterosexual and all??? The point is, it is a rarity. For the average homosexual, I would imagine that it is not nearly as uncommon to have shared showers with the same sex as it is for heterosexuals to experience mixed-sex showers in a public setting, therefore there is a massive difference in who might be more used to what or more titilated by what.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

seb146

Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 16):
Dunno. I would most likely not feel any much comfortable with you looking (not that you would want to, but that is off-topic). Also same with the (random) girls.

Not the obvious leering. There is a standard of descency expected in public locker rooms and I try to abide by that. Sure, I peek. But, I don't go out of my way; and, there are times when I am just plain not interested in peeking.

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 18):
Shower time was just a bonus.

This is why gays are not allowed in the military.

Do you honestly believe there are zero gays in the United States military? Besides: Guys peek. Not every guy and not all the time. But, both gays and straights will take a peek at other guys from time to time. Yes, I have seen it happen that straight guys peek at other guys. I notice women's breasts. I don't care for them or want to do anything with them, but I still take a peek. So what? Assuming you are a straight man, would you have relations with every attractive woman you see at the beach or do you not look at all?
Life in the wall is a drag.

RussianJet

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 28):
That's true, but the thing is that there is a lot more to it than sexual attraction. There's also the issue of societal conditioning. Regardless of who I'm attracted to, I was raised with the ethos that men and women should toilet/bathe separately.

Precisely, which in my own awkward way was what I was getting at - straight people are conditioned to shower in public places only with the sex they don't normally feel attracted to.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 28):
But if it bugs you, then consider how women must feel when you ogle them.

Nah, I never said that.  smile 

Fair's fair - if one is going to ogle, no matter how subtly, one must also accept the fact that one can be ogled by others.  biggrin 
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

DocLightning

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:31 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 22):

Precisely, which in my own awkward way was what I was getting at - straight people are conditioned to shower in public places only with the sex they don't normally feel attracted to.

Really, you're conditioned to shower/pee with your own sex.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 20):

But Doc, surely the whole novelty of looking at girls in the shower is totally lost on you what with you not being heterosexual and all???

No, because whether I'm attracted to them or not, I was uncomfortable being naked in front of a woman just due to my social conditioning. Most men, even straight ones, are uncomfortable being naked in front of a strange woman outside of a sexual setting.

Now, there were some smoking-hot guys in that house, and I got my subtle glances in. But of course, I always try to be polite and not ogle or stare. And if I feel an erection coming on, hurry the hell up and get out.

As for me, I'm a competitive swimmer and I'm young. Of course I get ogled in the showers. I live in San Francisco. I take it as a compliment. And those of you who are getting ogled should take it as a compliment. We only ogle the hot guys (or the well-endowed ones).  Smile
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Continental

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:22 am

I've done this once before. I had a med school interview in NY and I stayed with a student. They have co-ed dorms and I showered next to females. I didn't think twice about it probably because I was so focused on my interview which was immediately after!  Smile

DocLightning

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:27 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 24):
I've done this once before. I had a med school interview in NY and I stayed with a student. They have co-ed dorms and I showered next to females.

What med school in NY has co-ed showers?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

KPDX

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:11 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 10):
I've been in mixed saunas in Germany and had a "hard" time on a few occasions ....

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

kiwiandrew

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:40 am

For what it is worth I have absolutely no problem showering with women or men - I am more interested in enjoying a well deserved shower after my workout than in staring at other people . ( Especially when I can see much better at home when my partner steps out of the shower Big grin )

bill142

Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:11 am

During a recent tour through Europe, a Chateau we stayed in, in France and a shared shower facilities. Each shower was divided up so you had privacy. It wasn't a big issue. I found it more annoying when people came up to me and started talking to me while I was trying to shave. I can't say I have come across communal showers in gyms etc.

Continental

Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:12 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
What med school in NY has co-ed showers?

NYU does. All of the bathrooms in the main residence building are co-ed.

DocLightning

Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:06 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 29):

NYU does. All of the bathrooms in the main residence building are co-ed.

G'huh? NYU's med school dorms of all places has co-ed showers? Like, you shower in a gang shower with members of both sexes?

I'm sorry if I'm flabbergasted, but this a bit like hearing that the White House kitchen uses Amway products. It's just not the sort of thing that you'd expect to hear.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Continental

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:18 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 30):

G'huh? NYU's med school dorms of all places has co-ed showers? Like, you shower in a gang shower with members of both sexes?

I'm sorry if I'm flabbergasted, but this a bit like hearing that the White House kitchen uses Amway products. It's just not the sort of thing that you'd expect to hear.

Well, the showering areas themselves do have separating walls. But the common area where one dries/changes is shared! I was also very, very surprised by this.

kiwiandrew

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:39 pm

G'huh? NYU's med school dorms of all places has co-ed showers?

I guess if there was ever a profession where it is necessary to have no hangups about the human body it would be medicine - it seems a good place to start , people who cant cope with nudity are probably not best suited to be doctors , maybe the idea is to weed out unsuitable candidates very early  Wink

DocLightning

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:43 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 31):

Well, the showering areas themselves do have separating walls. But the common area where one dries/changes is shared! I was also very, very surprised by this.

OK, so you could throw your towel over the door and dry off and cover up and do the whole thing without seeing anyone else naked in there. That makes more sense.

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 32):

I guess if there was ever a profession where it is necessary to have no hangups about the human body it would be medicine - it seems a good place to start , people who cant cope with nudity are probably not best suited to be doctors , maybe the idea is to weed out unsuitable candidates very early

It's very different. When you're a doctor, you need to learn to overcome your societal inhibitions about such issues, but only in certain settings. When I am dealing with a patient, I'm at work and I'm in a certain mindset. When I'm taking a shower, I'm not at work and I function as any other member of society.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Lufthansa411

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:22 am

When I went to go visit a friend at Northeastern U in Boston, they had an unofficial co-ed arrangement. The freshman dorms have both males and females on the same floor along the perimeter of the building, and then the bathrooms are in the centre of the building. However, because there was only one bathroom on each floor for each sex and there is a long hallway, people would just go to whatever bathroom and shower area was closest, rather than walking down the long hallway to the showers. Met some cool people that weekend.

Quoting Continental (Reply 31):

NYU has an upperclass CO-ED undergrad dorm as well, although all of the undergrad upperclass housing is apartment style, and each individual dorm room for freshman living in a "traditional" residence hall has it's own separate bathroom with a shower, so it must just be with the grad students. I do know besides the one CO-ED dorm, there is also gender identity housing, which puts people together with what gender they identify with regardless of anatomy, but I don't know whether that is true with grad students.
Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.

DocLightning

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:43 am

Quoting Lufthansa411 (Reply 34):
When I went to go visit a friend at Northeastern U in Boston, they had an unofficial co-ed arrangement. The freshman dorms have both males and females on the same floor along the perimeter of the building, and then the bathrooms are in the centre of the building. However, because there was only one bathroom on each floor for each sex and there is a long hallway, people would just go to whatever bathroom and shower area was closest, rather than walking down the long hallway to the showers. Met some cool people that weekend.

At my dorm at Stanford, the showers and bathrooms were co-ed (just on the third floor of the dorm...which is distinct from the hippie house that I lived in later). The way that it worked was that each shower had two compartments, both with doors that went all the way to the floor. The outer compartment was where you changed and dried off and the inner compartment was the shower proper. The compartments were open at the top, but the walls were high enough that you'd have to be unusually tall (at least 6'10") to see over them.

So all you would ever see of your hallmates was them wrapped in towels or bathrobes. The bathroom stalls were the same; doors all the way to the floor.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

jcs17

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:22 am

What's the proper protocol if she drops the soap?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

kiwiandrew

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:39 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
It's very different. When you're a doctor, you need to learn to overcome your societal inhibitions about such issues, but only in certain settings. When I am dealing with a patient, I'm at work and I'm in a certain mindset. When I'm taking a shower, I'm not at work and I function as any other member of society.

So serious , Doc ? Did you miss my '  Wink ' at the end of my post ?

OA412
Crew

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:55 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
OK, so you could throw your towel over the door and dry off and cover up and do the whole thing without seeing anyone else naked in there.

Not seeing anyone naked? What's the point of that?  cheerful 
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Fabo

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:16 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 38):
Not seeing anyone naked? What's the point of that?   

Ummm.... showering? Big grin
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

strandedinbgm

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:48 pm

If you can consider sex a sport, then I encourage it. Consider the shower overtime. First one to score wins.
It's 737s, 747s and 380s. Not 737's, 747's and 380's. Learn to use the apostrophe for crying out loud.

vikkyvik

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:49 pm

As with clothing optional beaches and locker rooms: lookie no touchie.

Not in any locker room I've ever been in.

It was always "eyes above the waist" (that was, of course, for men's locker rooms). Works for me.

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 36):
What's the proper protocol if she drops the soap?

rotfl 
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DocLightning

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:53 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 37):

So serious , Doc ? Did you miss my ' Wink ' at the end of my post ?

No, but for example, when I was a medical student we were wheeling a lady into the operating room. As we put her on the table, we noticed that she had her gown on the wrong way and we needed to have her take her gown off and put it back on the right way. She was, of course, naked under the gown. Although I was just about to see her naked under anesthesia, I did turn around until she was done adjusting her gown. This is because while she's awake, she's a lady changing her clothes and I am a gentleman; but once she's out then she's my surgical patient and I'm part of her surgical team.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Ncfc99

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:31 pm

Kinda like a nude beach, I would imagine. After about 10 minutes, who cares?

I have never been to a nude beach or shared shower, but I'm guessing it depends on how hot the other people are as to how long it takes for 'who cares' to kick in.