TurkishWings
Topic Author

Any Opinions On Cebu?

Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:24 am

I have just purchased a ticket to HKG (05-17 Mar) on TK. Obviously, we are not planning to spend 12 days in HKG so we are looking for something interesting/different to do for about 1 week. I was thinking Cebu could be a good alternative as it is not too far away and is good value for money. There are daily nonstop slights on CX which makes it very accessible too...

However, I am not completely sure if the place is as pretty as it looks on the pictures. It seems to be the second most densely populated city in the Philippines. Too much for a tropical paradise I thought. Is Cebu the Philippines equivalent of Phuket?

What other alternatives would you guys recommend in the area? Possible not more than 4-5 hours of flying and possibly sunny and warm  Smile

P.S: How do you pronounce Cebu?
Coffee - Tea or Me?

tootallsd

RE: Any Opinions On Cebu?

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about Cebu. The company that I work for has a factory outside Cebu and I have visited several times.

It is the 2nd city of the Philippines. It is also considered the most Catholic city of the nation. As it is near the south, the potential for Muslim extremism further south where there has been violence and kidnappings. My Catholic counterparts discuss the Muslims in the south in a manner that African Americans were discussed in the 1950s/1960s in the US.

To underscore this, I usually stay at a Marriott in Cebu City. You can not enter the hotel compound without your car being searched (trunk opened, mirror check of bottom). As you enter the lobby all bags are screened and you pass through a metal detector.

Cebu CIty is very crowded. Road conditions are a horror. But outside of town there are many nice resorts on the ocean along with sailing and dive opportunities. There are many tourism companies to coordinate dives nearby and further afield.

Food is cheap and the people, other than my comments above, are very very nice.

dragon6172

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Was in Cebu on a port call a number of years ago. From what I remember, you can go to the San Miguel Brewery and swim in the beer for 500 pesos (not adjusted for inflation). Umm... I hear there was good diving? I was a bit hungover though to do anything else. Whew... that was a different life.
Phrogs Phorever

staralliance38

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:06 am

You may also want to try Manila. Cebu is very crowded, like Manila, but Manila has a good mass transit, the LRT. There's a lot to do in Manila, more than Cebu. There are directs from HKG.

Palawan, Boracay, and Angeles might be good alternatives. Angeles uses the former Clark AFB (CRK) and has direct service to HKG.
Roar, lion, roar

TurkishWings
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:05 pm

My friend wants to be around nice beaches... Not too many of them around Manila I assume?
Coffee - Tea or Me?

PlymSpotter

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:31 pm

Quoting TurkishWings (Reply 4):
My friend wants to be around nice beaches... Not too many of them around Manila I assume?

I think you need to head to Caticlan, then catch a boat over to Borocay island. There are dozens of daily flights from Manilla and flying time is 45-60 minutes depending on your airline and the aircraft they operate, so you could quite easily manage the whole trip in 4-5 hours from HKG.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...