FlyDeltaJets87
Topic Author

NFL Playoffs 2010 - Wild Card Round

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:26 am

The regular season has concluded and it's on to the post-season now.

Round One Match Ups:

Saturday:
New York Jets @ Cincinnati Bengals, 4:30 PM
Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys, 8:00 PM

Sunday:
Baltimore Ravens @ New England Patiots, 1:00 PM
Green Bay Packers @ Arizona Cardinals, 4:40 PM

I hope the Bengals bounce back from their (substantial) loss to the Jets yesterday. I expect the game will be closer than 37-0 but I hope the Bengals are able to pull off the W.

Predictions:
Bengals over Jets (Obviously pulling for my team here)
Eagles over Cowboys (Very difficult to beat a team 3 times in one season)
Patriots over Ravens (Patriots playing at home)
Packers over Cardinals (although I wouldn't be surprised if the Cardinals go on a run like they did last year).
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

NIKV69

RE: NFL Playoffs 2010 - Wild Card Round

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:27 am

Maybe the Bengals will actually play in this game?
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

steeler83

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Thread starter):
Eagles over Cowboys (Very difficult to beat a team 3 times in one season)

I like that pick very much. Since the Steelers shot off their leg (forget about their foot!) by abandoning their defense and special teams and somewhat their offense, I'm pulling for the Eagles, the other PA team!

Also, I detest the Cowboys!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

mke717spotter

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:55 am

The Packers have blistered the Cardinals in two trips to Arizona this season. In the preseason they led 38-10 at halftime. Combined with Sunday's 33-7 shellacking, it's clear they will carry a psychological advantage into their playoff rematch this week. By the time yesterday's game was over, the fans who weren't wearing green and yellow suddenly were spooked by the upcoming playoff matchup.

[Edited 2010-01-04 17:56:42 by mke717spotter]
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

LTU932

Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:23 am

Even though I HATE the Dallas Cowboys, I also have lost my respect for the Philadelpha Eagles for hiring Michael Vick. Therefore, I'm afraid I have to go with the Cowgirls just this one time.

My predictions:

Jets over Bengals (I don't think the Bengals will recover from that asskicking yesterday)
Cowboys over Eagles (like I said, it's only because they hired Michael Vick)
Patriots over Ravens (because it's realistic)
Cardinals over Packers (I'm going with the upset on this one)

I'm also sure the German sports media will go with the Patriots as well, but only because of Sebastian Vollmer. After all, Vollmer is German; he's from the town of Kaarst, which is in the state of Nordrhein-Westfalen, plus he also played once with the GFL team Düsseldorf Panther.

Revelation

Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:36 pm

I'm a Pats fan and not so optimistic.

I see a worrying trend towards giving up big plays and have seen Brady and the offense not come through in the 4th quarter too many times recently.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

sw733

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Saturday:
New York Jets @ Cincinnati Bengals, 4:30 PM
Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys, 8:00 PM

Sunday:
Baltimore Ravens @ New England Patiots, 1:00 PM
Green Bay Packers @ Arizona Cardinals, 4:40 PM

SW733 sez:

Bengals over Jets
Eagles over Cowboys
Ravens over Patriots
Packers over Cardinals

Yeah, 3 road teams, I said it, big whoop wanna fight about it?

FlyDeltaJets87
Topic Author

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:54 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 6):
Bengals over Jets
Eagles over Cowboys
Ravens over Patriots
Packers over Cardinals

Yeah, 3 road teams, I said it, big whoop wanna fight about it?

Since you have my Bengals over the Jets, I see no need to fight.  biggrin   wink 

FlyDeltaJets87
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:25 pm

Bengals and Jets about to kick off.

LET'S GO BENGALS! WHO-DEY!

LTU932

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:57 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 8):
Bengals and Jets about to kick off.

As I predicted, the Bengals did NOT recover from that asskicking they got last week.  Wink

Mir

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:33 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 8):

To answer your question:

The J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!  biggrin 

Great played game by Gang Green. Sanchez did everything he needed to do - play mistake-free football. He had one touchdown pass, and another that should have been a touchdown if only Braylon Edwards could catch a ball when it hits him in the hands. The running game was outstanding, with two TDs of their own. And the defense kept the Bengals mostly in check, though they did give up more yards to the rush than I think they can afford in the next round. But the pass coverage was airtight, with Darrell Revis again proving why he is the best corner in the league by shutting down Chad Johnson, who probably gained more in crap interference calls than he did in catches. May we assume the name re-change is forthcoming, Chad?  Wink

The Jets are on a roll now, and though it doesn't get any easier next week against either Indy or San Diego, if they can get the errors out of their game, they could be trouble for someone.

As for the Eagles, well...I hate to see the Cowboys win. But I also like to see Michael Vick lose, so I guess I'll have to accept it.  Sad

I want to see the Cowboys go down next week, though, no matter who they play.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

texan

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:40 am

How bout them Cowboys! While I hope we defeat Favre and the Vikings, I'm not willing to make a prediction yet.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

LTU932

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:53 am

Well, I'm 2:0 with my predictions.  Wink As for the Cowgirls, they did what they had to do, punish the Eagles. Now I can go back to hating them, and hope they will go down against Minnesota.  stirthepot 

NIKV69

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:05 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):
The Jets are on a roll now, and though it doesn't get any easier next week against either Indy or San Diego, if they can get the errors out of their game, they could be trouble for someone

Some roll, they beat Indy with all the third stringers and a absolute horrible Bengal team which should have been a blowout. Palmer was GOD Christingly awful. Jeez did he stink up the place. The Jets come back to earth next week. They have proven they are classic underachievers. Don't mistake a win against a horrible giving a horrible performance for anything but that.

FlyDeltaJets87
Topic Author

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:23 am

Well the Bengals were a disaster today. I'll attribute much of that to not playing well last week. They carried ZERO momentum into the playoffs, losing three out of their last four (and only barely beating Kansas City). The Bengals shot themselves in the foot by lying down on Sunday against the Jets. They should have played to win and faced the Texans. In addition, Marvin Lewis needs to learn how to effectively use challenges. Using both of them and LOSING them in the 1st Quarter was dumb. However, the biggest factor in their losing today and receiving the most blame is Delta Air Lines because Delta lost my luggage yesterday - which had my Bengals jersey in it - and it was returned to me 20 minutes after the game ended. Had I been wearing my jersey, things might have been different. (Okay, this last part is a joke.)

The one player from the Bengals who does deserve recognition is Cedric Benson. He rushed for 169 yards - 23 more yards than Palmer even threw for.

NIKV69

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:30 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 14):
Well the Bengals were a disaster today. I'll attribute much of that to not playing well last week. They carried ZERO momentum into the playoffs, losing three out of their last four (and only barely beating Kansas City). The Bengals shot themselves in the foot by lying down on Sunday against the Jets. They should have played to win and faced the Texans. In addition, Marvin Lewis needs to learn how to effectively use challenges. Using both of them and LOSING them in the 1st Quarter was dumb. However, the biggest factor in their losing today and receiving the most blame is Delta Air Lines because Delta lost my luggage yesterday - which had my Bengals jersey in it - and it was returned to me 20 minutes after the game ended. Had I been wearing my jersey, things might have been different. (Okay, this last part is a joke.)

What game did you watch? The Bengals played great, inspired football. Running, defense, special teams. The one thing missing was their QB who constantly threw terrible pass after terrible pass. He overthrew then underthrew. Threw behind receivers, off his back foot so they floated into the other teams hands. It was a disgrace. If he showed up they probably win that game. Palmer threw in a complete shit show. I don't what his problem was but you can't blame this loss to last week.

Mir

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:47 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 13):
Some roll, they beat Indy with all the third stringers and a absolute horrible Bengal team which should have been a blowout. Palmer was GOD Christingly awful. Jeez did he stink up the place. The Jets come back to earth next week. They have proven they are classic underachievers. Don't mistake a win against a horrible giving a horrible performance for anything but that.

You have to beat who's on your schedule. God knows how many times the Jets haven't done that. A win is a win. Am I expecting them to roll right into Indy or San Diego and start kicking ass and taking names? Of course not. To be honest, I'm expecting either Indy or San Diego to be the ones doing that. But that little glimmer of hope still lingers. The Jets have a shot. An outside shot, sure, but still a shot.

However, the biggest factor in their losing today and receiving the most blame is Delta Air Lines because Delta lost my luggage yesterday - which had my Bengals jersey in it - and it was returned to me 20 minutes after the game ended.

DL must really hate CVG. First the dehubbing, and now this.  Smile

The one player from the Bengals who does deserve recognition is Cedric Benson.

checkmark  Credit where credit is due: Benson had a damn good game.

-Mir

thegreatRDU

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 16):
DL must really hate CVG. First the dehubbing, and now this. Smile

The Bengals were soft the whole day...only bright spot...Cedric Benson .....
Carson was off the whole game...
Our Returning Champion

KLMA330

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:27 pm

Quoting ThegreatRDU (Reply 17):
The Bengals were soft the whole day...only bright spot...Cedric Benson .....
Carson was off the whole game...

Well said, it was kinda sad to watch for the bengals  Sad

ltbewr

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:46 pm

I live in the NYC area, so I have my biases in favor of the JETS. They did a good job despite some mistakes and allowing too many rushing yards by Cinci. Sanchez has developed into a very good play-fake QB, has enough arm for shorter to mid-range passes with accuracy and a great O-line protecting him. Of course next week won't be easy against either SD or Indy, but I give them a 'punchers chance'.

As to the Philly-Dallas game, I have no love for either team as in the same division as the Giants. Dallas played a good game against a Philly team that is in deep trouble. I bet that Reid, his assistants as well as some players (maybe even McNabb) will be axed soon. With that, I hope Dallas gets whomped on bad in the next round of the playoffs.

CaliAtenza

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:43 pm

Come on PATS! Big grin. Seriously i hope Brady gets it done today...

LTU932

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:11 pm

So much for the Patriots today. Big grin

JRDC930

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Well...that prediction kinda turned out wrong didnt it...LOL Big grin I my self am quite glad New England lost; ive gotten tired of seeing them always do well in the playoffs, dont like tom brady, and dont like the new england area. I must say i am surprised to see the ravens pull off such a pounding.
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

CaliAtenza

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 22):

Well...that prediction kinda turned out wrong didnt it...LOL Big grin I my self am quite glad New England lost; ive gotten tired of seeing them always do well in the playoffs, dont like tom brady, and dont like the new england area. I must say i am surprised to see the ravens pull off such a pounding.

it sucks  Sad..but my Chargers are still in it  Smile...bring on next sunday!

Mir

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 20):
Seriously i hope Brady gets it done today...

Aaaaand.....no. Not one, not two, but three interceptions for Brady, as the Ravens run all over the Pats, 33-14.

And in Arizona, things are not going well for the Packers. Arizona up 17-0 early, mostly off of Green Bay turning the ball over on consecutive drives.

-Mir

JRDC930

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:39 pm

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 23):
but my Chargers are still in it

Now your talking!  Smile Im more of a Vikings fan, but ilike the Chargers as well.

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
And in Arizona, things are not going well for the Packers.

EXCELLENT!  cloudnine  Hope Arizona doesnt blow it.

N1120A

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:40 pm

It looks like the Cards are going to face my Saints. The key to that game will be the match up between the Saints secondary and Larry Fitzgerald.

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):
As for the Eagles, well...I hate to see the Cowboys win. But I also like to see Michael Vick lose, so I guess I'll have to accept it.

Meh, I don't care about Vick. He did his time. He made one outstanding throw.

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):

I want to see the Cowboys go down next week, though, no matter who they play.

I wanted to see them lose this week. The Vikings will put a lot more pressure on Romo and can stop the run, unlike the Igguls
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

JRDC930

Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:06 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
The Vikings will put a lot more pressure on Romo and can stop the run, unlike the Igguls

But can the Vikings protect Favre? Thats the big mystery; the last few games the Viking defense has been almost non-existant. That worries me.

LTU932

Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:27 pm

If it continues this way, I'll end the weekend 3:1 with my predictions.  bigthumbsup 

MarSciGuy

Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:44 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 22):

Well...that prediction kinda turned out wrong didnt it...LOL  I my self am quite glad New England lost; ive gotten tired of seeing them always do well in the playoffs, dont like tom brady, and dont like the new england area. I must say i am surprised to see the ravens pull off such a pounding.

What do you have against New England?
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

JRDC930

Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:57 pm

Quoting MarSciGuy (Reply 29):

It would likely start a flame war so if your interested in knowing message me. As for New England the team; i see them sort of as the Yankess of the NFL, i like to see a little variation in the playoffs; it gets boring to see the same teams all the time.

san747

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:15 am

The Packers are all of a sudden making this a game... tied it up with 11 minutes left!

[Edited 2010-01-10 16:20:23 by san747]
Scotty doesn't know...

nkops

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:56 am

This Packers- Cardinals game is insane.....

I can't believe Rackers choked on a chip shot!
:evil:

nkops

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:01 am

WHAT AN ENDING TO THE CARDS-PACK GAME!!! Best game so far easily!!!
:evil:

StarAC17

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:03 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 30):
As for New England the team; i see them sort of as the Yankess of the NFL, i like to see a little variation in the playoffs; it gets boring to see the same teams all the time.

They are the evil empire of the NFL whereas the Colts are the equivalent of the Red Sox because that rivalry is the one right now that makes the best comparison. I bet most football fans were very happy with NE losing that perfect season to the Giants 2 years ago.

15-20 years ago it was the Niners and the Cowboys holding the same rivalry.

Also while some of the same teams get into the playoffs every year you just have to see the battle in the AFC where 11 of the 16 teams were in the hunt at the end of week 15 to see that parity is still alive and well in the NFL.

BTW Arizona and Green Bay has to be up there for game of the year.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

san747

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:05 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 34):

BTW Arizona and Green Bay has to be up there for game of the year.

Crazy, crazy ending. Can't wait for next week! As a Chargers fan, I'm going for SD (duh) and Baltimore to win, as a Colts loss lets the Chargers host the AFCCG.
Scotty doesn't know...

FlyDeltaJets87
Topic Author

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:40 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 33):
WHAT AN ENDING TO THE CARDS-PACK GAME!!! Best game so far easily!!!

checkmark 
I watched that game from a neutral standpoint and feel this was the best and most exciting game this weekend. I enjoyed watching the Patriots and Bill Bellicheat get their butts handed to them, but the excitement of the Green Bay - Arizona game was unreal. The kicker for Arizona is damn lucky his team won though. I would not have wanted to been in his shoes after missing a 35 yard field goal at the end of regulation to win, only to later lose the game. That said, the Cardinals better step up their defense for next week. Your offense should not be under any pressure to win if they put up 45 points in regulation.

Quoting MarSciGuy (Reply 29):

I don't hate the Patriots organization but I do dislike their fan base and Bill Belichick. I respect the organization. 6 years ago my dad did a USO tour in conjunction with the New England Patriots and Bob Craft is a class guy. But come Super Bowl XLII, I got so damn sick of Patriots fans telling me "they don't even need to play the Super Bowl since it's only the Giants who are between us and 19-0. We're going to roll right through them." Amazing how they didn't want to see me that Monday morning knowing what payback was coming.  biggrin  And then Belichick leaving the field before the end of regulation because of his disgust. Great leadership. 11 of your players managed to be out there for the final kneel down. Don't know why Belichick couldn't stay on the sideline and instead had to run to hide in the locker room.

mke717spotter

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:07 am

You can add that one to the list of heart-breaking losses in the playoffs.  brokenheart 

1/03/99 @ San San Francisco - Owens TD with 3 seconds left
1/11/04 @ Philadelphia - 4th & 26
1/20/08 vs New York - Favre INT in OT
1/10/10 @ Arizona - Rodgers fumble for TD in OT
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

JRDC930

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 am

Predictions:

LOL...i do believe your predictions were all just a bit off...  Wink

FlyDeltaJets87
Topic Author

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:38 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 38):
LOL...i do believe your predictions were all just a bit off...

Hence why I don't bet on sports  wink 

(I will note that I did win the A.net NCAA March Madness Bracket last year though, so my predictions aren't always off).