SmithAir747
Topic Author

What To Do In Dunedin, New Zealand?

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:58 am

Does anyone here live in Dunedin, New Zealand?

I plan to travel there at the end of March through early April, because I have been invited to speak at a research conference at the University of Otago school of dentistry. I will be speaking on April 1. I plan to get there a few days beforehand (leaving SFO possibly on March 26), in order to explore the area a bit.

What is there to do in Dunedin, or around the city? I plan to be there around March 27 or 28 through April 3, since my speaking engagement is on April 1.

If you live around there, or have been through there, please let me know what is interesting to do there. For example, are there good hiking spots around there? The people who invited me to speak there told me that I would really enjoy hiking in New Zealand, once they heard I enjoy hiking/walking. What is there in terms of historical and cultural interest, in your own opinion? What about the natural beauty, of which all my friends have told me?

I look forward to this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, to visit New Zealand for the first time, and to speak on my own craniofacial research.

SmithAir747

[Edited 2010-01-06 21:03:08]
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

BAKJet

RE: What To Do In Dunedin, New Zealand?

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:26 pm

I visited Dunedin a few years ago.I found it very interesting and had a great time. First off, definitely take a nature cruise. When I took the cruise I saw many fascinating animals including the rare Yellow-Eyed Penguin. Also, there is a Cadbury Chocolate factory in the middle of Dunedin which, I believe, offers tours. I'm sorry Im not able to help more, but I was only there for 1 day during a 2 1/2 week New Zealand vacation. Here's Dunedin's tourism website: http://www.dunedinnz.com/

Have a Great Trip!

signol

RE: What To Do In Dunedin, New Zealand?

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:38 pm

I don't know much about the city itself, as I've never visited, but the area of Fjordland is beautiful. Try to visit Milford Sound, a couple of hours away, or Queenstown. If you like hiking, then the famous Milford Track is there, a 4 day hike. You have to book a pass to walk it though, either independently or on a guided walk. There are other hikes in the area too. March / April is late autumn, so I don't know if the weather will be kind at that time of year...

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI