Elite
Topic Author

Broken IPod Touch

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:17 am

I dropped my 2 month old iPod touch today, and it is broken. There are dents and scratches on the back, the side volume button does not work and the touch screen is faulty.

Sadly, this is a gift, which means no receipt. Does anyone know if iPod's can be fixed, or do they have to be replaced entirely? I am devastated over this.

Thanks
Elite

Klaus

RE: Broken IPod Touch

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Pretty much all the parts can be replaced, but especially if the display is irreparably broken it may not be economical to attempt a repair. The glass is replaceable by itself, but if the actual display is acting up, it may be too late.

You should have an Apple Store in Hong Kong — let them have a look at it.

Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 1):
but if the actual display is acting up, it may be too late.

When I try to increase the volume using the touchscreen, it always moves back to the same place.

This is a bummer. I dropped it from standing height, and I'm not particularly tall!

Klaus

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:24 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 2):
When I try to increase the volume using the touchscreen, it always moves back to the same place.

Ah, so the actual display still works okay but the touch sensor is broken?

As far as I know, the touch sensor can also be replaced separately in the newer models – the display itself could also be replaced, but I would expect the touch sensor to be less expensive.

Quoting Elite (Reply 2):
This is a bummer. I dropped it from standing height, and I'm not particularly tall!

When an electronic device is dropped on a hard floor, it is really a matter of luck whether or not it will break, unfortunately.

Just have the guys at the Apple Store take a look at it.

futurepilot16

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:51 pm

This happened to my 80gb ipod classic. I dropped it and it completely malfunctioned. I am about 6'4", but I had in a protective carry case when it dropped. Now I have to go buy a new one because I have to have music.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 3):

I hope so, and I hope that it wouldn't be too expensive to repair.

Quoting FuturePilot16 (Reply 4):

Hmm, I didn't have a protective case; just a few days ago I debated about getting one, but I didn't want to spend the extra money...

gkirk

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Unlucky  Sad Don't know what I'd do without my iPod touch now...

*Klaus, you did not read that  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Klaus

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 6):
*Klaus, you did not read that

How could I have read something that couldn't possibly have been said...?  mischievous 

gocaps16

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:22 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 5):
I hope so, and I hope that it wouldn't be too expensive to repair.

You might as well buy a new one or something better like an iPhone. It'll probably be cheaper then getting it repaired with parts and labor cost. I feel your pain. I left my iTouch in my car one night while it was -5C outside. Next morning, my 30g touch wasn't working. I thought about buying the new 80g one since that broke, however, luckily, it came back on-line 12 hours later.
Definately get ya a good protective cover. I treat my touch like my laptop since I mainly use it for when I travel.

austinairport

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:33 pm

http://www.rapidrepair.com/
It never hurts to try. I've never used Rapid Repiar, but I've read great testimonials. I think it was in PC World.
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

Klaus

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:02 am

Have the Apple Store guys look at it first. It does still have warranty on its serial number, so you could at least try to have them help you, accident or not.

If they won't, you can still explore other options.