727LOVER
Topic Author

TMZ: Leno Back At 11:30, Conan.. ..bye-bye?

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 pm

http://www.tmz.com/

Unconfirmed by NBC. Supposedly to happen after the olymoic hatus.
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

OA412
Crew

RE: TMZ: Leno Back At 11:30, Conan.. ..bye-bye?

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:54 pm

What a farce this has all become. IMHO, NBC was stupid to put Leno in prime time to begin with. Given that NBC is more or less a sinking ship at this point, Conan is probably better in throwing in the towel and looking for something elsewhere.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

NIKV69

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Unreal, NBC is really falling down the crapper. Yea Conan is too big a talent. He should tell them to go to hell and go elsewhere.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):
Unreal, NBC is really falling down the crapper. Yea Conan is too big a talent. He should tell them to go to hell and go elsewhere.

Their prime time really is, with the exception of Law & Order, which I don't watch regularly but have enjoyed the few times I have sat down to watch an episode.

I'll be happy if Leno goes back to 11:30 as it's easier for me to watch him then and I much prefer Leno to Conan. I just haven't found Conan to be that funny. Besides Leno, the only thing I watch on NBC is Sunday Night Football and occasionally the NBC Nightly News.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

varigb707

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
olymoic hatus

Confused
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

c172akula

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Olympic Haitus for the Winter games in Vancouver.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:09 pm

Sorry, olympic hiatus
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

Evan767

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:34 pm

Jay Leno is can't tell jokes. At least Conan can make me laugh.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

zippyjet

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Leno's show might have made it in prime time if it was limited to say one night a week. Oh well.
How long do you think he'll stay after his return to his 11:30 PM slot? Can he regain his 11:30 success? Many times after a failure such as the prime time show it's difficult for even someone as famous as Leno to return to his glory. Though it's baseball, this reminds me of back in 1985 and 1986 when the great spunky take no shit manager Earl Weaver came out of retirement to return to managing the Baltimore Orioles. Unlike his long tenure of success from 1968 to 1982, this return was short lived and a failure. Earl left baseball after that at least as a manager.

Conan isn't bad but some of his schticks are old and wear thin. Like that effeminate "In the year 2000 crap." And sometimes when he and Max Weinberg try impromptu chatting it falls flatter than the Everglades. I remember several years ago when they did his show in Chicago, Conan starting chatting it up with Max about local Chicago issues, actually sounding patronizing and trying to come across as Chicagoeans. Instead they came across as borish know it alls. At least Cliff Claven did it with style and humor on Cheers.

Jimmy Fallons's show is actually quite good. Jimmy actually gives his guests time, especially the hottie females that tend to be in short supply on the other shows. On Conan, they also get into time wasting crap with that obnoxious creep thats planted in the audience. This wastes valuable time and then the second guest gets screwed and especially when it's a hot chick or funny comic that could upstage Conan.

And last, we have Carson "I'm to hip for my own good" Daily who seems to change the format of his half hour gab fest every year or so. I remember that stretch with that creepy animated theme song that seemed like a bad endeavor from the 1950's. Now, Carson acts like this hipster as he does his shit on the road. Sometimes he clicks, sometimes he doesn't.

NBC is a ruffled peacock these days. The only decent show is L & O SVU and the original L & O. They are out of touch, and out of step with most of America. And, I'm still pissed at them for shitcanning "My Name Is Earl" for that abortion "Parks and Recreation." And, Thursday nights achored around the Office? Give me a break.

NBC is stuck in that Metrosexual too hip for their own good rut. And they butcher the Olympics with all those smarmy fluff peaces and their over reliance on loud 80's guitar riffs.
NBC will probably try for a government bailout.  vomit 
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

tommy767

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:02 am

Conan's very funny especially to people in my age group (20s.) I think the biggest mistake NBC made was actually putting Conan in the tonight show time slot. The 'late shows' are clearly dominated by older viewers who can't relate as well to Conan and his humor that caters particularly to younger viewers. Point being that NBC has lost millions of viewers to Dave Letterman since O'Brien picked up the show which apparently never happened to NBC when Leno was the host. And you have to ask yourself what age demographic is actively watching Letterman on a thursday night?  old 

Truth be told that younger viewers aren't watching as much late night television on a weekday as long as the bars are open and 'Adult Swim' exists  yes 
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

boeingfever777

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:12 am

!00% agree... Also NBC gave him $10.5 million/yr. They are not moving him anywhere.

Leno is crap IMO... His new show is garbage.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

zippyjet

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:23 am

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 9):
Conan's very funny especially to people in my age group (20s.)

Thats quite interesting. I'm 53 years young and am quite surprised. I'm an avid fan of Howard Stern, the late Bernie Mac and Artie Lange. I also crave and chase after young tail. Check out my replies and posts regarding hitting it (the straight version) not that ther's anything wrong with the other team. Conan's schtick to me relies less on content and more on schtick that was the thrust of 1968's Rowan and Martin's Laugh In. I've checked out You Tube tidbits from Laugh In and wonder how and why we even laughed at such stuff. It's really dated. Conan when left on his own has halfway decent monologues. He has talent and probably would do quite well
on cable where there is little or no censhorship. Letterman is hysterical when he's Dirty Dave on Howard Stern.
If I were programming late night at NBC, and Leno was back at 11:30, I'd go with Conan, Jimmy and then Carson D. Anything is better than the perfect cure for insomnia which is NBC's poker after dark.

And, if what you say is true, than it seems 20 somethings go for that schtick stuff that was all the rage when Laugh In was in it's prime...site gags, and repetitive schtick. One man's meat is another man's creamed corn.

tommy767

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:29 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 11):
And, if what you say is true, than it seems 20 somethings go for that schtick stuff that was all the rage when Laugh In was in it's prime...site gags, and repetitive schtick. One man's meat is another man's creamed corn.

Well it all depends on what your type of humor is. I find Howard Stern hilarious but there are plenty of people in my age group who hate offensive humor and are into "schticks" so to speak. I think the worst type of humor going around these days is this dry "nerd humor" which is really just the complete opposite and is somehow drawing in younger viewers by the masses.

Conan would be better for cable, IMHO if he wasn't so heavily tied down to NBC.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

zippyjet

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:44 am

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 12):
dry "nerd humor"

When I think of "Nerd Humor," I think of Adam Sandler or a good deal of British Humor.

If Conan could retire that In the Year 2000 bit, and that awful nerdy guy that hangs out in the audience and manages to waste time then his show would be OK. And, doesn't NBC own several cable networks? Bravo and some of the Metrosexual networks come to mind.

N1120A

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:50 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 1):
Conan is probably better in throwing in the towel and looking for something elsewhere.

He shouldn't be the one to throw in the towel. He has a big contract with NBC and should make sure they make good on it before going anywhere.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 1):
IMHO, NBC was stupid to put Leno in prime time to begin with. Given that NBC is more or less a sinking ship at this point

It isn't just YHO, it is the HO of lots of TV people and advertisers. NBC did Leno in primetime to save money. It ended up costing a lot more in lost goodwill and revenue.

Yea Conan is too big a talent. He should tell them to go to hell and go elsewhere.

1) Conan has a massive contract from NBC. Also, he spent lots of money moving from New York to Los Angeles, which they are going to have to make him whole on.

2) Conan has a limited audience. That audience worked for him at 1230, but he wasn't able to adapt to the 1130 game.

And you have to ask yourself what age demographic is actively watching Letterman on a thursday night?

The interesting thing is that Letterman's core fan base was always thought to be younger viewers.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ltbewr

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:53 am

A couple of issues with this rumor:

1) What NBC would fill in the 10 PM-11 PM (Eastern) time slot with? Do they have anything that would get better ratings ready now, or just use more L&O reruns or other rejected programs until next fall?

2) Leno at 10 PM may be a lot cheaper than the costs of a 1 hour drama or news program like Dateline.

3) Would they have to buy out O'Brian, how much and so on. That could be in the many millions.

Look, the 10 PM Jay Leno Show has been a bust. The affiliates are ticked off as it is hurting follow on viewers for their local news programs at 11 PM and thus ad income vs. the other network affiliates in their markets. It will be interesting to see how this is worked out. Perhaps Leno a few nights a week (2-3) for a while and 2-3 nights of usual dramas. Perhaps they could raid the USA Network or other parts of the NBC empire of channels for replacement and long-term programs. If they go to dramas, set it up so they say no to big bucks stars or them expecting huge raises after a few years. Perhaps go to 1 season or 13 week cycle shows as done on cable nets.

ShyFlyer

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:00 am

Guess I'm the only one who prefers Leno's new show to his stint on The Tonight Show and although I find Conan funny, I can't stand to watch his show.
I lift things up and put them down.

N1120A

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:14 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 15):

1) What NBC would fill in the 10 PM-11 PM (Eastern) time slot with? Do they have anything that would get better ratings ready now, or just use more L&O reruns or other rejected programs until next fall?

It is mid-season replacement time. They could shift the L&O shows to 10 PM, which would deal with a few days a week, and push back other 1 hour shows from 9 to 10 and fill in with comedies.

2) Leno at 10 PM may be a lot cheaper than the costs of a 1 hour drama or news program like Dateline.

It is cheaper. It also brings in much less revenue and has been very poorly received.

3) Would they have to buy out O'Brian, how much and so on. That could be in the many millions.

They would either have to buy him out or put him on something else. Either way, an expensive move.

BMI727

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:15 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 16):
find Conan funny, I can't stand to watch his show.

I don't really find him that funny either. He just kinda runs around and acts odd. Craig Ferguson is the best late night comedian and the only other that comes close is Jimmy Kimmel.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

zippyjet

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:15 am

Look, the 10 PM Jay Leno Show has been a bust. The affiliates are ticked off as it is hurting follow on viewers for their local news programs at 11 PM and thus ad income vs. the other network affiliates in their markets. It will be interesting to see how this is worked out. Perhaps Leno a few nights a week (2-3) for a while and 2-3 nights of usual dramas. Perhaps they could raid the USA Network or other parts of the NBC empire of channels for replacement and long-term programs. If they go to dramas, set it up so they say no to big bucks stars or them expecting huge raises after a few years. Perhaps go to 1 season or 13 week cycle shows as done on cable nets.

Good ideas.

Chance are NBC would screw up and fill the 2200 to 2300 slot with the following:

More Deal or No Deal
Back to back episodes of The Office and Parks and Recreation with their usuall in your face advertising proclaiming these lamo shows as the second coming.

More Biggest Loser

The Singing Bee

Knightrider episodes

For the heck of it, here are some ideas for that 10:00 PM slot.
some programs are from my wharped twisted mind.

1. Kaitlin"s Capers:
A girl next door type hottie who is a former cheerleader, beauty qaueen lands a job in New
York, or La La Land in what else the media or publishing industries. Makes good money but lives in a tatty ratty trendy apartment with one of those I Love Lucy refrigerators, has a flaming Queer as Folk BFF male bud who can pass for a chick and actually is a chick with a dick who also works in her oh so happy media place. A bi-lingual cat who can talk English and Spanish (Siamese kitty), A Chinese Crested doggy who can rap and do hip hop voiced by Flava Fave. A wealthy stuck up metrosexual boyfriend who really is in love with her flaming BFF he she it girl wannabe, Obnoxious Conneticutt WASPY Politically Correct Wealthy Range Rover driving Republicans. A hottie sister who is an NFL cheerleader who likes boffing NBA, MLB and NFL players who are abusive bad boys on roids. And secretly, our cutie girl Kaitlin is a serial killer who can out serial kill Dexter all the while she is secretly kanoodeling with a radical feminist who happens to be a high priced call girl and exotic dancer who is BFF's with Kaitlin's slutty hottie cheerleader sister. Oh, and the girlfriend of Kaitlin likes doing the gore galore parts of the serial killing with her lover
Kaitlin. Kaitlin could be played by April Bowlby

I can't spell VW but I drive a Porsche

Mondays at 10:00 PM on NBC

"Gay Date:" Imagine taking 13 diverse gay fellows and sticking them in a hovel in say
Camden, NJ and they have to find love and redecorate this hovel into a showplace. Each week one is eliminated. The winner gets his own awful reality show on NBC, a fancy same sex wedding in hollywood, and a sex change operation plus 666 thousand dollars.

Tuesdays at 10:00 on NBC

Wednesday 10:00 PM--- Deal or No Deal

Thursday 10:00 PM. ---Marathons of The Office and Parks and Recreation

Friday 10:00PM. ---Three Rivers moves from CBS to NBC

Saturday 10:00 PM---The Singing Bee

Sunday 10:00 PM ---The Hip Hop Singing Bee

Of course Dateline: To Catch a Predator will have sporadic specials at random times at 10:00 PM.

srbmod

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:17 am

Update: NBC Plan Would Move Leno Back to Late Nights

Quote:
Pressed by affiliates and shrinking ratings, NBC has a plan in the works to radically alter its late-night television lineup, restoring Jay Leno to his old spot at 11:35 each weeknight, while pushing the man who replaced him, Conan O’Brien, to a starting time of 12:05 a.m.

This puts Conan head to head with Jimmy Kimmel. As for Jimmy Fallon:

Quote:
The third NBC late-night star, Jimmy Fallon, would then begin his show at 1:05 a.m., the executives said. The revised lineup would go into effect after NBC concludes its coverage of the Winter Olympics on February 28. NBC will pre-empt both its prime-time and late-night lineup for more than two weeks to cover the Olympics, creating a natural break in which to implement the late-night changes.

Could this mean the end of "Last Call", or do they shift it to 2:05 AM? Some affiliates do replay their 11 PM newscast at this time, and if Leno is doing a half-hour show, do they even need Carson Daly?

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 11):
Letterman is hysterical when he's Dirty Dave on Howard Stern.

That's not really David Letterman, it's a guy by the name of Dave Van Dam.

zippyjet

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:26 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 20):
Could this mean the end of "Last Call", or do they shift it to 2:05 AM? Some affiliates do replay their 11 PM newscast at this time, and if Leno is doing a half-hour show, do they even need Carson Daly?

Nah: Something tells me his show is on the cheap. As i said earlier anything to delay Poker after Dark has got to be better than nothing. And, they could roll out "I'm too damn hip for myself Carson" on Friday nights late. And NBC might as well bring back Pink Lady.

And another idea for a show that would be cheap to produce and promote:

Baltimore City Traffic Court
Live un-edited traffic court trials.

BMI727

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:36 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 19):
Back to back episodes of The Office

I could deal with that. Or even better, bring back Studio 60.  stirthepot 
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

zippyjet

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:59 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 22):
I could deal with that. Or even better, bring back Studio 60.

By all means enjoy them. Not my cup of tea either of them. I say bring back My Name Is Earl! Or a spinoff Catalina & Joy

Done in the potato people style of Earl but to appeal to NBC's diverse audience

Catalina and Joy catfight so much they end up "canoodeling" and become a feisty hot lesbian couple. Meanwhile Darnell and Randy get their Gay freak on as a couple. Remember, this is NBC.

and Earl converts becomes a Rabbi.  rotfl 

Cadet985

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:23 am

Conan's very funny especially to people in my age group (20s.)

I'm 24, and I find Conan anything but funny. Actually, I find it funny when the audience laughs at his "jokes," but they are just obeying the "Laugh" or "Applause" signs.

The only thing they can do until fall is either air reruns of other shows, or do more newsmagazine type shows.

Marc

N202PA

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:40 am

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Jay Leno is one of the unfunniest men on television, and his milquetoast, safe brand of "comedy" is boring, trite and tarnished the Tonight Show image that a legend (Carson) built up.

Conan is doing fine. The new show can be a bit stilted at times, but that's because it's new and because of all the hype and aura of it being The Tonight Show. If anyone out there remembers the old Late Night episodes from when Conan took over from Letterman, you'll remember that it was the same situation. But NBC gave him time to develop a show and it came together and became a great one. They should do the same thing here. 7 months isn't enough time, and replacing Conan with Leno smacks of reactionary desperation.

I'd suggest that NBC remember that the 20-somethings that watched Conan when they were in college are now the 30-somethings that are coming into their own as far as earning and spending money.

Oh, and here's a clue - Conan might have better ratings now if NBC hadn't salted the earth with the televised abortion that is the Jay Leno Show.

Solution: Kick Leno to CNBC, replace his show (as mentioned before) with "special airings" of, say, cable shows like Burn Notice and Psych. Come up with specials that will draw people back - like, for example, a Seinfeld reunion/retrospective. Keep Conan in at 11:30, but move the show back to New York and let him do the show he wants to do, even let it be a little edgier than it has been. Stick with Fallon for now (though he has to be one of the most uncomfortable-looking late night hosts since the days before Carson, Paar and Allen), but don't be afraid to look elsewhere if that show doesn't gel. That's my solution for now.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:02 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 24):
I'm 24, and I find Conan anything but funny. Actually, I find it funny when the audience laughs at his "jokes," but they are just obeying the "Laugh" or "Applause" signs.

Have you ever been to one of his tapings? How do you know that? I have been to two tapings and that audience was full of young fans like myself who find him very funny. Most laughter seemed quite real, and at times his show had me laughing very hard. In fact, unlike other late night tv show tapings I have seen, Conan's didn't rely heavily on the applause sign. I don't recall a sign telling us when to laugh.

I'm very disappointed with this news. I did have my concerns about the late night shuffle so this isn't entirely a surprise to me. Sucks it happened so fast though. NBC needs to stop catering to Leno and let Conan do his thing without having to follow Leno in the lineup.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

CaliAtenza

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 am

Conan's very funny especially to people in my age group (20s.) I think the biggest mistake NBC made was actually putting Conan in the tonight show time slot. The 'late shows' are clearly dominated by older viewers who can't relate as well to Conan and his humor that caters particularly to younger viewers. Point being that NBC has lost millions of viewers to Dave Letterman since O'Brien picked up the show which apparently never happened to NBC when Leno was the host. And you have to ask yourself what age demographic is actively watching Letterman on a thursday night

Seriously? im 24 and i find Leno to be a hoot...Conan is just really blah to me...i cant get on board with his kind of humor.

tommy767

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 27):
Seriously? im 24 and i find Leno to be a hoot...Conan is just really blah to me...i cant get on board with his kind of humor.

Wow I'm honestly surprised by this. I guess Conan doesn't please everyone in my age group after all.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

RayChuang

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:49 pm

This debacle may have just cost Jeff Zucker his career at NBC Universal.

The big problem for NBC is that unlike CBS, which has a STRONG lineup of scripted shows at the 2200-2300 (Eastern/Pacific) time slot leading into the local news before The Late Show with David Letterman, The Jay Leno Show is killing the late local news ratings, upsetting many NBC affiliates.

N1120A

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:10 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 20):

Could this mean the end of "Last Call", or do they shift it to 2:05 AM?

Might as well shift it. Less infomercial time to sell. Network content always makes the station more money.

The only thing they can do until fall is either air reruns of other shows, or do more newsmagazine type shows.

Nah. That is what mid-season replacements are for.

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 29):
This debacle may have just cost Jeff Zucker his career at NBC Universal.

Clipboard Boy has survived several major gaffes at this point. I still don't get why he is there.

OA412
Crew

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:22 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):
Clipboard Boy has survived several major gaffes at this point. I still don't get why he is there.

I don't either. If one of us were making the sorts of mistakes that he has made and costing our company the sort of money that he has cost NBC, we'd have been thrown out onto the street long ago.

zippyjet

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:29 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 31):
I don't either. If one of us were making the sorts of mistakes that he has made and costing our company the sort of money that he has cost NBC, we'd have been thrown out onto the street long ago.

In a society where common sense and decency are the rules yes
In this crazy society where political correctness trumps efficiency and lawyers are behind the curtain running things into the ground while lining their own pockets it's a great big
No After he plucks the feathers off the peacock (NBC) he can roll right in at Goldman Sachs, and or snarf a bailout from the government.

And on a side note; though NBC is in the ratings crapper, I believe the folks who watch their
Pablum is the coveted yuppy left and right coast audiences that spend $$$ whether they have it or not. It's all in the advertising $$$

CaliAtenza

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 28):

Wow I'm honestly surprised by this. I guess Conan doesn't please everyone in my age group after all.

i think i can count on the fingers the amount of Conan jokes ive laughed at..on the other hand Leno is pretty hillarious most of the time. Come on man we grew up on Leno..at least me and my friends did. No one i knew really watched Conan that much, other than it was after Leno. Plus the way Leno makes fun of current events just kills me everytime lol  Smile

RayChuang

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:45 pm

When the NBC affiliates are grumbling, that's the sign that Zucker will be out at NBC Universal soon.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 29):

The big problem for NBC is that unlike CBS, which has a STRONG lineup of scripted shows at the 2200-2300 (Eastern/Pacific) time slot leading into the local news before The Late Show with David Letterman, The Jay Leno Show is killing the late local news ratings, upsetting many NBC affiliates.

The other problem I've heard is that the local news stations are reporting lower ratings for their 11:00 News reports. People who used to watch the 11:00 news because they were up watching Leno are now watching from Leno from 10 to 11 then heading to bed and no longer watch the local news at 11. Supposedly Leno's new Prime Time show is getting to the target audience and doing well
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

N1120A

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 35):
The other problem I've heard is that the local news stations are reporting lower ratings for their 11:00 News reports. People who used to watch the 11:00 news because they were up watching Leno are now watching from Leno from 10 to 11 then heading to bed and no longer watch the local news at 11. Supposedly Leno's new Prime Time show is getting to the target audience and doing well

The problem with Leno in prime time is that he doesn't pull enough numbers. 11:00 newscasts are heavily tied to their lead in programs getting big numbers, from whatever demographic. Leno isn't pulling in and holding those numbers, so the 11:00 newscasts are not getting their audience. It creates a snowball from there, as strong NBC O&O and affiliate newscasts are what fed Leno's "Tonight Show" ratings in the first place. Since they are now not pulling the same numbers, Conan is getting hurt by it. And that also snowballs, because Craig Ferguson was already beating Conan before all this, so Fallon doesn't stand a chance.

tommy767

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 33):
Plus the way Leno makes fun of current events just kills me everytime lol Smile

I do think Leno is pretty funny as well. Conan is just 'hip' i guess. It's interesting how NBC clearly wanted Conan to be the next Leno but instead its really blowing up in their face and instead Leno still has his loyal viewers.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

ltbewr

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:36 pm

Latest rumour: O'Brian goes to FOX. Interesting for leverage, but with the past track record of FOX to try to have late night shows I don't think it will happen. Fox's Late nighters in the past ended up getting boxed out of celeberties to go on the show (ie: If you went on Arsinio Hall's one time late night Fox show, you didn't get to be on Leno) and thus poor ratings.

This is real mess that reflects the changes in network TV in the internet/dish/cable era.

canoecarrier

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:29 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
He shouldn't be the one to throw in the towel. He has a big contract with NBC and should make sure they make good on it before going anywhere.

Buying out Conan's contract would cost NBC $40 million dollars. He should hold out and make them buyout his contract.

I personally can't stand Leno. He's about as funny as SNL is now. I'll be honest though, I rarely am up to watch any of the late night shows, but until a couple years ago had been watching Conan since college. The whole thing pretty much sucks for Fallon and O'Brien. NBC hasn't made a good programing decision in a long time, I don't expect that to change in the near future.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 35):
The other problem I've heard is that the local news stations are reporting lower ratings for their 11:00 News reports. People who used to watch the 11:00 news because they were up watching Leno are now watching from Leno from 10 to 11 then heading to bed and no longer watch the local news at 11.

A friend of mine is a producer for a Fox affiliate. From what I hear from her it's probably the opposite of what you suggest. People aren't watching Leno so they aren't still on the NBC channel at 11 and are opting for whatever news is on the competition. For example, she's said her highest ratings are on nights they follow "American Idol", people just leave the tv on that station and watch the news at 10 or 11.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Acey

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:11 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 8):
The only decent show is L & O SVU and the original L & O.

Decent is subjective, but Biggest Loser still does alright for them in the 18-49 demographic regardless. NBC's only hope right now to get anything out of this season is that Parenthood does alright. I hear they've got a bunch of pilots in the works, but give ABC a call and ask them how that went to start the 09-10 season. Not well.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Revelation

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:12 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
The problem with Leno in prime time is that he doesn't pull enough numbers. 11:00 newscasts are heavily tied to their lead in programs getting big numbers, from whatever demographic.

Quoting Canoecarrier (Reply 39):
People aren't watching Leno so they aren't still on the NBC channel at 11 and are opting for whatever news is on the competition. For example, she's said her highest ratings are on nights they follow "American Idol", people just leave the tv on that station and watch the news at 10 or 11.

That's pretty interesting.

I don't watch the news, but people I know who do usually have a strong preference for one station over the others, some times due to who the anchors are, some times due to the style the station uses to present the news.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

Acey

Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:59 am

What NBC show is going to do better for the news lead-in at 10 anyway except L/O and Biggest Loser? In the past couple years there have been shows with worse ratings than Leno at 10 but I don't recall any of the affiliates complaining about the poor lead-ins...
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

AzoresLover

Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Here is the story...finally announced after all the speculation...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100110/ap_on_en_tv/us_nbc_leno
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

2707200X

Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 pm

I think many of you are right on Leno's low ratings as his 10:00 show has to compete with other prime time shows that attract Leno's viewing demographic. I think the reason behind Conan's halved ratings is because he has toned down the show for his new time, Conan has made the show less edgy by eliminating many of the skits that he has done and removing many of the characters that made his show popular in the first place. I also think it did not work out because Jay and Conan have different audiences with different tastes and toning down Conan's show was something that his twenty to thirty-something edgy audience was not going to like and it was not going to attract Leno's older more conservative audience.

I think bringing Leno's show to 11:30 might bring back some of his audience but if Conan keeps or has to keep his current "blandish" formant on to 12:30 he is not going to get his audience back unless he goes back to his more edgy style, If NBC wont allow him to do that he may likely go to Fox where he can be more edgy.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

2707200X

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:38 pm

MSNBC via the New York Times announces that Conan O'Brien won't do the Tonight Show if it airs at 12:05AM.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

CaliAtenza

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:46 pm

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 45):

Then i have a feeling he may jump to FOX.

vikkyvik

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

N1120A

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:54 pm

His statement is interesting, and positions him very well. I am willing to bet that his contract has a clause stating that he is supposed to host the 11:35 p.m. time slot. That means NBC has to have his permission to change it.

OA412
Crew

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:03 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 47):

Thanks for posting. IMHO, Conan comes off with a great degree of class. I find it unfortunate that NBC is now trying to make Conan pay for its mistakes. Good for him for refusing to accept anything less than what he signed up for.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):
His statement is interesting, and positions him very well. I am willing to bet that his contract has a clause stating that he is supposed to host the 11:35 p.m. time slot. That means NBC has to have his permission to change it.

Sure sounds like it.