lhr380

Getting Fed Up With The Weather!

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:55 am

Post here if you are getting feb up with the cold, snow, ice, non gritted paths and roads, and all the transport problems that have been caused because of it.

Work was hell in the week up to Christmas because of the Snow, and now its been hell again in January because of it.

Im getting stressed out, its cold ALL the time, im flying all over the place trying to walk to work and get a bus and just wanna stay in bed all day with the curtains closed and not see what is going on outside  Sad
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

OA260

RE: Getting Fed Up With The Weather!

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:58 am

I hate it so much. Had a hell of a day yesterday flying to London for the day. Was lucky to get back. Someone commented that the whole atmosphere seems weird and everything feels different.

The novelty has worn off and I want the mild weather back. Roads are like ice rinks and im burning so much heating oil its costing me a fortune. Trying to keep the house at 18-19c whilst its -8c outside is hard LOL...

zippyjet

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:59 am

I feel your pain. It's been polar madness here in the States. We've had cold, wind, snow and of course ATC fun. Hang in there time flies and before you know it,

I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

lhr380

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:01 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 2):

Now turn that into a few hot guys, and I will have a smile on my face  Smile

Jetsgo

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:04 am

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 3):

Something tells me those "women" were guys at one point...
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

OA260

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:07 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 4):

LOL... very true especially the one with the blue skirt. She/He would turn any Man Gay.

AverageUser

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:12 am

I hate sounding condescending but the current U.K. problems weatherwise to me seem like the sad stories you hear of kids drowning in 5 cms of water or the like.

lhr380

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:22 am

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 6):
I hate sounding condescending but the current U.K. problems weatherwise to me seem like the sad stories you hear of kids drowning in 5 cms of water or the like.

What do you mean?

PlymSpotter

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:26 am

Well I wouldn't be hitting them regardless  yuck 

I'm not getting fed up with the weather though, the cold just doesn't bother me at all. So far this cold snap has caused me to wear a T-shirt beneath my normal shirt when working outside, as it's a bit parky when the wind whistles between the buttons, but aside of that I'm not freezing. The snow hasn't disrupted the family too much yet, I'm still able to get around by pushbike, the car gets back up the drive with me pushing, and the road has just about enough grip to drive on. I do think that by Sunday we'll be stuck though, the council is only gritting main roads and any more compaction and the street will be impassable again.

Just treating it like an adventure Big grin

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

OA412
Crew

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:33 am

It's warmed up here quite a bit since the single digit tempartures we saw last month. Of course, when I say warm I'm talking daytime highs in the mid 30's Farenheit so close to 0 celsius. Still it's better than a 15 degree daytime high.  cold 

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):

LOL... very true especially the one with the blue skirt. She/He would turn any Man Gay.

LOL my thoughts exactly. That is one unattractive woman.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

zippyjet

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:44 am

I was in a hurry when I posted the pics of those girls that some think could be he she or its.
So, in the spirit that
Big version: Width: 462 Height: 150 File size: 17kb
is reknown for here's
more like it!

OA260

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:59 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 8):
as it's a bit parky

LOL.. havnt heard that expression for years .

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 8):
Just treating it like an adventure

Thats the spirit.

steeler83

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:16 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):

Eeewww!! Yeah, you're right! Both her and the one behind her. Their faces look rather mannish!

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 10):

Now that's what I'm talking about! (If I was still unattached, that is!)  Smile
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

flybaurlax

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:18 am

Well, I went from cold Indiana weather, to nice LA weather, then to the "chilly" weather of San Francisco, and now I'm in wet Seattle weather. I've been here almost a week, and only 1 of those days it was actually sunny. It's definitely not cold, though. That makes it a lot more livable.

....so is this turning into a would you hit it thread? I wouldn't complain, but I'm just saying...
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

Springbok747

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:19 am

Cold eh?

Come down here....  biggrin 

אני תומך בישראל

zippyjet

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:28 am

Quoting FlybaurLAX (Reply 13):
...so is this turning into a would you hit it thread? I wouldn't complain, but I'm just saying...

This seems to happen when
Big version: Width: 462 Height: 150 File size: 17kb
is in the house.

dxing

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:36 am

Quoting LHR380 (Thread starter):
Im getting stressed out, its cold ALL the time, im flying all over the place trying to walk to work and get a bus and just wanna stay in bed all day with the curtains closed and not see what is going on outside

Bond would just bother M for an assignment in the Bahamas or Jamaica!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoMCdu03STU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myoVLMnKw2M&feature=related

[Edited 2010-01-08 18:55:42]
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

ltbewr

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:42 am

We have been having one of the coldest winters in a while here in the NY City area, with many days bearly getting above freezing - 32F/0C, nights in the teens F/ -5 C with a number cursed with nasty winds that make the chill even worse. I need a vacation in some warm Carribbean island where the only cold thing is the beer.

PlymSpotter

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:47 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
LOL.. havnt heard that expression for years .

I reckon if I keep using them they'll be back in vogue soon enough  Wink

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
Thats the spirit.

And what a spirit it is. It takes something like this to get people out of their houses, walking around and talking to their neighbours. It's amazing; people walk to work now because they can't get their cars on the road and, as a result, a lot of people I know have realised that it actually takes them no longer than it would sat in the twice daily rush hour traffic - and that's tottering along an icey pavement.

dba4u

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:43 am

Leipzig: EDDP 090320Z 04013G25KT 3500 SN DRSN SCT004 BKN010 M03/M04 Q1014

I *love* that weather!

However, as I'm working part-time on the german railways, which aren't to well known for reliability once the first snowflakes appeared I'd rather stay at home today.... Big grin

ah yeah, and it's not gonna stop! http://wetterstationen.meteomedia.de/messnetz/forecast/104700.html
Guess who's got to work tomorrow and on monday? Riiiight!

lhr380

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:18 am

-3 / -4 outside at the moment, but its a clear morning with a heavy frost.

Meant to get bad this afternoon though.

MadameConcorde

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:47 am

Good thread here.
Down here on the French Med coast, I have 2 degrees C and awful non stop rain storms.
So cold and damp here. The snow isn't far, only a couple of miles up the road.
Looks like it will not stop any time soon. Been like this the last 3 weeks.
There is more of the same to come next week.
I haven't seen such bad weather in years.  cold 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

idealstandard

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:55 am

I'm not bothered by the cold, I'm bothered with the absolutely terrible job of dealing with it.

Whilst I understand that we don't have the provisions, it is not acceptable to miss an entire working week at an office in a very busy town (High Wycombe) due to the weather.

Its costing us a fortune!

MadameConcorde

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:10 am

This thread gets me to thinking... can the weather be manipulated at some level or other? Do the scientists know how to change the weather locally or in whole regions of the world? Can warming or cooling be helped at all? Science is so advanced that I wonder if maybe this could be done some way or other.  Confused  Yeah sure
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

GrahamHill

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:20 am

That's at the moment over Dublin:

Wow!
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

AverageUser

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:41 am

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 7):
What do you mean?

The total ineptitude in dealing with snow and cold. I read the "official" BBC advice to motorists -- serious matter ok, but I tended to laugh. Some factually incorrect to me.

TLG

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 14):
Cold eh?

Come down here....  

No thank-you; I'll take the upper Midwest. At the moment it's -16F/-27C and there's about a foot/30cm of snow on the ground. I love it! It helps that Wisconsin is well prepared for this weather; we see it every year.

-TLG

dxing

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:35 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 21):
I haven't seen such bad weather in years

This is definitely the coldest winter we've seen since moving to Houston. Not much moisture but its been continually chilly to downright cold since the middle of September. I've had the pool pumps running for two continuous days now to keep the water moving as the night time temp has been around -4c daytime highs around 5c. Pipes in this area of the world aren't buried very deep, a real hard freeze would create havoc. Spent Thursday up in the attic wrapping pipe in insulation.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

AverageUser

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:12 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 27):
I've had the pool pumps running for two continuous days now to keep the water moving as the night time temp has been around -4c daytime highs around 5c.

The pool's thermal capacity will be quite large -- I'd monitor the temp and only run the pumps when there's an ice cover beginning to form at the edges.

dxing

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 28):
The pool's thermal capacity will be quite large -- I'd monitor the temp and only run the pumps when there's an ice cover beginning to form at the edges.

It's the pipes leading to the filter and pumps I'm more worried about. They are not buried deep and the ground at the surface is already cold. Running the pumps and keeping the water moving is far cheaper for 2-3 days than digging up the pipes if they burst even though the risk is small.

AverageUser

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 29):
It's the pipes leading to the filter and pumps I'm more worried about. They are not buried deep and the ground at the surface is already cold.

No need to worry, if your pipes are buried at all, you'd need to have the top soil frozen solid first before the water in the pipes freezes. Soil is typically wet and has thermal capacity that will keep you safe for weeks, even if you had some minus degrees.

dxing

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 30):
No need to worry,

I wish that were the case but the soil here is much looser with sand mixed in. It doesn't take much for it to freeze down more than a few inches. Neighbors who have lived through other freezes like this one are worried due to experience and I pay attention to those that have lived it before. The pipes are not even a foot down in the soil.

kiwiandrew

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:56 pm

All I can say is 'you lucky buggers' , when it is cold you can wrap up against it and put more clothes on , but when it is hot and humid there is a limit to how much you can take off .

AverageUser

Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:24 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 31):
I wish that were the case but the soil here is much looser with sand mixed in.

Trust me, it will take quite a frost to reach 30cm of soil in a matter of days. If your averaged diurnal temp is even slighly above zero C, that will never happen. Only when you get a fistful of top soil and it makes a clunk when dropped on your kitchen sink, I'd become worried.

[Edited 2010-01-09 09:26:58]

StarAC17

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:14 pm

I can't really complain here its just gone from cold to too cold to snow here in the YYZ area, nothing we haven't seen before in fact it was probably colder this time last year.

Quoting DXing (Reply 29):
It's the pipes leading to the filter and pumps I'm more worried about. They are not buried deep and the ground at the surface is already cold. Running the pumps and keeping the water moving is far cheaper for 2-3 days than digging up the pipes if they burst even though the risk is small.

That would suck some neigbours of ours have had to replace lines due to leaks and it costs about $1000 minimum per repair.

You should see what we have to go trough to blow out our pool lines of all water and put antifreeze in them in the fall to get ready for the winter.

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 32):
All I can say is 'you lucky buggers' , when it is cold you can wrap up against it and put more clothes on , but when it is hot and humid there is a limit to how much you can take off .

Yes in theory but sometimes it gets cold enough that no matter how many layers you have on you are going to be freezing, which is pretty much anything lower than -10 deg C.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

andaman

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:46 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 25):

The total ineptitude in dealing with snow and cold

Well that's a bit harsh I think. Perhaps winters like this are getting more rare in Finland too, but we still have to be ready for snow and freeze, more than in UK.

One day here in Helsinki I met a little school boy who had learned that they have closed schools in UK due the weather, while he has to go to school in blizzard. I tried to explain him that probably people there are not used to drive in snow and they don't have winter tires.
This 8y old grumpy fellow mumbled: "Why doesn't EU buy them winter tires..."
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

PlymSpotter

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:53 pm

To be honest I'm really glad of the cold right now. For the past four days I've been tackling a leak in the bathroom, which meant ripping the entire shower and floor below it out, plus part of a wall. Even during winter that's hot hard work, so a cool blast of icey air from the window is a real lifesaver  thumbsup 

Dan  Smile

Dazed767

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Snow in Florida, now that's crazy. It's 1°C in Orlando right now and it's 3pm.

Derico

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:15 pm

I hope this weather pattern stays put forever. I can't recall weather so awesome or perfect.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

LAXintl

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 38):
I hope this weather pattern stays put forever. I can't recall weather so awesome or perfect.

checkmark  indeed.

Been a wonderfull winter to date here in Southern California. Many many sunny clear days with temperatures very comfortable mid 70- mid 80F (22-29 Centigrade) including my weekly beach day or two.  cloudnine 

Anyhow best regards to those that for whatever apparent reason choose to live in colder confines.  cold 
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

scrubbsywg

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:38 pm

you all make me laugh.

Luke

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:42 pm

The icyness sure made it easier for me to find parking in town today. A residential cul-de-sac off the main road into town was completely empty as no one else wanted to park their car on what was essentially a sloping ice rink. I took advantage of this though and enjoyed some close to town parking!  bigthumbsup 

dxing

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 34):
You should see what we have to go trough to blow out our pool lines of all water and put antifreeze in them in the fall to get ready for the winter.

Yeah, I wouldn't want an ingound pool up north.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 39):
Been a wonderfull winter to date here in Southern California.

You have been lucky. I can't remember such long stretches with LAX not being engulfed in fog. I've even been able to use SFO as an etops alternate without much concern lately.

scandinavian

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:49 pm

-16,9 C in Stockholm at the moment.

Perfect weather to drink an Imperial Stout or two.  Smile
"He was a wise man who invented beer"-Platon

AverageUser

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 35):
Well that's a bit harsh I think. Perhaps winters like this are getting more rare in Finland too, but we still have to be ready for snow and freeze, more than in UK.

See the conditions over here

andaman

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 44):
See the conditions over here

Yeah looks like winter  Wink
But still I wouldn't expect people in UK to handle the winter conditions like we Nordics do.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

OA260

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 45):
But still I wouldn't expect people in UK to handle the winter conditions like we Nordics do.

Exactly at least you understand the contrasts. Its like you having 50c temperatures in August with no AC. You would not be used to it.

Sabena332

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Quoting Dazed767 (Reply 37):
Snow in Florida, now that's crazy. It's 1°C in Orlando right now and it's 3pm.

Incredible!  Wow!

I am also sick and tired of this weather here in Germany. I can't stand coldness and snow and usually is it gone after a few days but now I have to deal with this shit since three weeks already.  mad 

I need a house in the Caribbean!  cloudnine 

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

andaman

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 46):

Exactly at least you understand the contrasts. Its like you having 50c temperatures in August with no AC. You would not be used to it.

Yes, whats the point comparing UK and Finland here... Snow and freeze don't disturb my life in Helsinki, especially not in my central heated flat, but the hot summer days can make my home one big uncomfortable sauna, with out a proper AC. Not nice.

MIAspotter

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Yes I am too getting fed up with this weather.

It's been cold and rainy all friggin' week, and the last couple of days the temps have gone down real bad.

it's "only" 3c, but still.

I am in Barcelona and I am supposed to be basking in the winter sun... but this weather is very... non-barcelona-ish.

Can't wait for summer to arrive!

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?