airtran737

Blackberry Question

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:39 am

Our company is issuing us Blackberries, but they are extremely restricted. We can't install any third party applications, use the blue tooth printing function, or have a non-company email on them. If I were to buy an unlocked Blackberry from ebay would I be able to put my sim card in it and use those functions on the unlocked phone?
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Elite

RE: Blackberry Question

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:43 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Thread starter):
If I were to buy an unlocked Blackberry from ebay would I be able to put my sim card in it and use those functions on the unlocked phone?

Yes, you can. Those restrictions are placed on the BlackBerry itself, and not the sim card. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but that is what I think from my experience.

LAXintl

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:54 am

You'd be defeating and potentialy compromising exactly what WOA is trying to do to control and keep a close lid on its data and network.
If you want a personal phone go for it, however I would avoid trying to game the system and use it to access and store company materials which might compromise your employer, be in violation of data security restrictions with its customers (read DoD) and ultimately yourself.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

nighthawk

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:28 pm

If you buy an unlocked blackberry you can do what you want with it, add emails, add applications etc. however depending on how your companies systems are configured, you may find they are locked down and only accessible to authorised devices. Therefore if you buy your own blackberry you may not be able to access your work email from it.

All blackberries must be tied to either the public blackberry servers, or your own companies blackberry server if they have one. Your company will probably run their own, and you wont be able to just add any device to it, as such you wont get any work emails from it. Additionally, security restrictions are probably applied from this server, so if you did connect to it, your phone would become locked down again.

If your email account is accessible externally however, you may be able to tie your phone to the public servers, and instead access your email through them.

Personally I would just accept the fact that its locked down, your job may be at risk if you circumnavigate the security procedures. Buy a second phone for personal use.

Elite

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:40 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 3):

Personally I would just accept the fact that its locked down, your job may be at risk if you circumnavigate the security procedures. Buy a second phone for personal use.

Best course of action - many people go this way. Get an Apple iPhone, trust me - with a BB and an iPhone you'll be all set.

northstardc4m

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:57 pm

One of 3 things will happen if you try to activate your own BB to you company's BlackBerry Enterprise Server:
1> It won't activate because the PIN/model isn't on the Enterprise Policy
2> It will activate but you will get all the restrictions from the ITPolicy it pushes, and all your own email will be disabled, 3rd party apps will stop working, etc, worse getting rid of an ITPolicy if you ever want off the BES is a pain on it's own (no it doesn't go away simply by wiping the device).
3> It will activate as per 2 but will also generate a security alert and you'll get a nasty phone call/email/deskside chat from your IT/ISec people.

so your options are: run around with 2 BlackBerries, get a non-Blackberry smartphone device (iphone or android would be my recommendation), just settle for the work BB and live with it.

BTW which model are you getting?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Elite

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Thread starter):
or have a non-company email on them.

A way to work around this, although not very effectively, is just to bookmark your email in the BlackBerry Browser. Some emails like Gmail have excellent mobile sites, so you can just hit the bookmark and check every once in a while, or however often you like.

fxramper

Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
I would avoid trying to game the system and use it to access and store company materials which might compromise your employer, be in violation of data security restrictions with its customers

Agree 100%.

Companies are very funny about stuff they issue their employees. In my dept. at work last year, security almost fired two globe travelers for using their world wide access with a personal sim card. My advice would be get a cheap refurb off eBay.

You'd look a lot cooler with two phones on your belt.  Silly

varigb707

Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:07 pm

You shouldn't have a problem. At work, we are still using the Two-Way phones from Nextel, without any other function, except the (two0way). I bought my own Blackberry and i switched the SIM car and, pronto! I'm a happy camper. I can even browse A.net.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

Klaus

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:33 pm

Quoting VarigB707 (Reply 8):
You shouldn't have a problem. At work, we are still using the Two-Way phones from Nextel, without any other function, except the (two0way). I bought my own Blackberry and i switched the SIM car and, pronto! I'm a happy camper. I can even browse A.net.

That does not apply when your company actually has a security model implemented on their Blackberries.

corey07850

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 5):
1> It won't activate because the PIN/model isn't on the Enterprise Policy
2> It will activate but you will get all the restrictions from the ITPolicy it pushes, and all your own email will be disabled, 3rd party apps will stop working, etc, worse getting rid of an ITPolicy if you ever want off the BES is a pain on it's own (no it doesn't go away simply by wiping the device).
3> It will activate as per 2 but will also generate a security alert and you'll get a nasty phone call/email/deskside chat from your IT/ISec people.

This is pretty much spot on... Assuming you can connect to the enterprise server it will just push the security features to your phone automatically. Any time we get a new BB it takes some time for it to fully activate. During that time we can use BB messenger etc, but the second it becomes active on the enterprise server it's locked down.

Best course of action is to talk to your IT people and ask if there's a way to get the stuff installed. We had a new server installed that blocked out a lot of things, including the best application by far - Google Maps. Contacted IT and they had no problem allowing that.

A BB is not something to lose your job over, it is very easy for them to monitor what you're doing on it.

varigb707

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 9):
That does not apply when your company actually has a security model implemented on their Blackberries.

we don't use blackberries at work. I am the only one who does. Everyone else's using a regular Nextel set. That's what i meant.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

airtran737

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:51 am

Well I came up with the easiest solution. I asked IT if I could buy an unlocked blackberry and have it put on the enterprise server, and they said yes. Therefore I get my phone with apps, and world wide service all paid for by the company.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever