Aaron747
Topic Author

Not Again: Pat Robertson Claims Haiti Is Cursed

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 pm

Can someone please take this man off television before he embarrasses the nation any further??  banghead  This story is being reported all over the globe. Yes, nobody should be listening to this nutball at all, but since he has 20 million US viewers, it still gets attention.

The Rev. Pat Robertson, on his CBN broadcast today, offered his own explanation of the earthquake in Haiti:

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," he said. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.'

"True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,'" Robertson said. "Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...iti_cursed_since_Satanic_pact.html
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

D L X

RE: Not Again: Pat Robertson Claims Haiti Is Cursed

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Other than alleging himself to be Christian, is there any difference between he and the radical clerics we are fighting against?

us330

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:38 pm

I would say that I am shocked and appalled, but considering it's Robertson, what else is new?
It's just the latest in a line of complete bullsh*t spewed by the guy that does nothing but offend everyone outside his core base.
Heck, he probably has an automatic press release dispenser. All you need to do is punch in the type of tragedy, and the geographic location, and it will come up with an original document blaming gays/compact with the devil/etc. for the tragedy.

AGM100

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:31 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 1):
is there any difference between he and the radical clerics we are fighting against?

Yes there are big differences Pat has spend millions of dollars helping the poor ...although in the dumb-ass remark category they are like brothers. Pat was way over the top here and looks like a A#1 fooleo .
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Starbuk7

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, there is a story out there that collaborates what he said.

http://97.74.65.51/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=14079

Don't know if it is completely true but it is an interesting read.

JBirdAV8r

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Thread starter):
Can someone please take this man off television before he embarrasses the nation any further??

I don't think anyone really associates Pat Robertson's comments with the feelings of America.

I don't want anyone to think they represent that of Christianity either. I wish he'd get yanked off the air before he embarrasses Christianity even further.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Arrow

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Quoting Starbuk7 (Reply 4):

Interesting is the right word. Tried real hard to make it all sound quite treasonable, too -- right up until it accuses Hilary of having a Christmas tree decorated with drug paraphernalia.

Calling it "collaboration" is a bit of a stretch though.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

N1120A

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 1):
Other than alleging himself to be Christian, is there any difference between he and the radical clerics we are fighting against?

No difference, but it looks like someone already defended him.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 3):
Pat has spend millions of dollars helping the poor

So has Hesbollah. So has Hamas. So has Osama bin Laden.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LTU932

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:20 pm

That reminds me of one of those bus preachers that pop up in Costa Rica. When talking about the 2004 tsunami, the preacher said that it was a punishment from God for those people for not believing in him. Ridiculous, but true. Maybe Mr Robertson took a page out of that preacher's book.

N1120A

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 8):
Maybe Mr Robertson took a page out of that preacher's book.

This is not the first time Robertson has done this. He has been doing it for decades.

David L

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:29 pm

http://97.74.65.51/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=14079

I read that article and some of the others you can find there. I'm putting my 50 GBX on it being "a bit fanciful".  Smile

DocLightning

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 3):

Yes there are big differences Pat has spend millions of dollars helping the poor

Yes, but his donations always come with a caveat. Those donations seem to be more marketing tools to bring new members to his organization than true donations.

Um... it's the ranting of a conspiracy-crazed nut. Voodoo? Devils? Blood of newborn babies? Clinton being impervious to Republican attacks? (clearly he wasn't)

Not surprised that Robertson believes it.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 5):

I don't think anyone really associates Pat Robertson's comments with the feelings of America.

20 million people? That's 5-10%. That's just scary.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

BMI727

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 1):

Not really.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

DocLightning

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:34 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 1):

Other than the fact that Pat Robertson hasn't openly advocated terrorism (that I know of), not much.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

N1120A

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:38 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):

Other than the fact that Pat Robertson hasn't openly advocated terrorism (that I know of), not much.

Actually, he has. Remember when he called for "taking out" Hugo Chavez?

JBirdAV8r

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):
20 million people? That's 5-10%. That's just scary.

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble finding the figures you're referring to...can you help?
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:42 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 15):

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble finding the figures you're referring to...can you help?

CBN claims that's the size of their viewership.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

LTU932

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:45 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
Quoting LTU932 (Reply 8):
Maybe Mr Robertson took a page out of that preacher's book.

This is not the first time Robertson has done this. He has been doing it for decades.

OK, I see your point, but we can still agree that the guy is a nutjob, just like that preacher I was talking about.

vikkyvik

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 am

Firstly, I think you mean corroborates.

Secondly, although that story does corroborate what he said, it is also the most ludicrous "history" I've ever read.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ltbewr

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:45 am

Rev. Robinson's program 'The 700 Club' is shown on Monday to Friday evenings on the ABC Family cable/dish channel. ABC Family was previously the Pat Robinson owned Christian Broadcasting Network channel. I recommened now here, with posts at political sites I go to and did on my own to have people e-mail Disney corporation (who owns ABC Family) and ABC Family Channel via thier websites, to ask they withdraw the showing of the '700 Club' and other programs involving Rev. Robinson due to his deeply offensive and racist statements as to the devestation in Haiti.

My point is that if anyone who appears on their network programs (ABC, ESPN and others) or any Employee of Disney ever made a like public racist statment they would be fired too. Disney Corp., do the right thing and end showing his programs - fire him. (Maybe ABC Family could hire Jay Leno to replace his show).

thegreatRDU

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:56 am

He's a nutjob....the talk of his donations to help the poor...as marketing tools...to me..makes perfect sense
Our Returning Champion

OA412
Crew

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:06 am

Can someone please take this man off television before he embarrasses the nation any further?? This story is being reported all over the globe. Yes, nobody should be listening to this nutball at all, but since he has 20 million US viewers, it still gets attention.

What a nutjob. What I find particularly galling is that he preaches his particular brand of hate and insanity in the name of Jesus Christ. And this from an agnostic.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
No difference, but it looks like someone already defended him.

I know I'm shocked!  Yeah sure

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
So has Hesbollah. So has Hamas. So has Osama bin Laden.

checkmark 

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):

Or when he prayed for Supreme Court justices to die...
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

dxing

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 am

Can someone please take this man off television before he embarrasses the nation any further??

Those comments are exactly the kind of comments that keep him marginalized. I hope he continues to make stupid comments like that so people in actual power will keep their distance from him.

Quoting D L X (Reply 1):

Yes, as bizzare as his comments are, he's not asking his followers to go out and commit suicide by blowing themselves up and taking as many ordinary every day muslims going about their lives with them as they can.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

NIKV69

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:12 am

Well this isn't such a bad thing.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 19):
My point is that if anyone who appears on their network programs (ABC, ESPN and others) or any Employee of Disney ever made a like public racist statment they would be fired too. Disney Corp., do the right thing and end showing his programs - fire him

This may just happen. He statements have been terrible.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

DocLightning

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:59 am

That's not terrorism, which is random attacks on civilians. That's assassination. Not that assassination is fine with me, but I'm more comfortable with that than I am with terrorism.

Now, why I a so-called "Christian" would be advocating murder is beyond any Biblical reasoning I can come up with. "Thou Shalt Not Murder." I think that's pretty clearly laid out.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

JoeCanuck

Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:10 am

I thought he died years ago.
What the...?

LTU932

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:22 am

Rev. Robinson's program 'The 700 Club' is shown on Monday to Friday evenings on the ABC Family cable/dish channel.

The 700 Club still exists? I thought it was cancelled long ago. I do recall that between 10 to 20 years ago, they used to show the 700 Club on Costa Rica's Channel 7. The show was definitely junk, but they decided to banish the 700 Club from their programme in favour of different junk.

zippyjet

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:52 am

It's quite intersting if not amusing that Conservative talk radio has not talked about this. They are still harping on Sen. Harry Reid's comments. And, sorry to diss an actual jackass but, check out this pic...Jimmy Carter should get honorable mention but, Mr. Robertson's mug should adorn the ass of this cartoon jackass!

It would be so cool to have a televised reality show where we put Robertson in a third world jail cell with Iran's jackass leader and that little facist from North Korea and let them fester and fight each other for a week!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

TheCommodore

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:12 am

The guy is a waste of space.

Its a shame he wasn't in Haiti to experience the earthquake himself, that way he might have a different view of things.

He really is nuts.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:36 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 22):
Those comments are exactly the kind of comments that keep him marginalized. I hope he continues to make stupid comments like that so people in actual power will keep their distance from him.

True enough but this story is all over the globe - which gives Americans, Christian and non alike, a bad mark. In media matters, image and perception are everything, and we don't need any more of this kind of garbage on our behalf.

N1120A

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:06 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):

That's not terrorism, which is random attacks on civilians. That's assassination. Not that assassination is fine with me, but I'm more comfortable with that than I am with terrorism.

Acts of assassination are often also acts of terrorism.

F9Animal

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:12 am

they have been cursed by one thing after another."

I will not disagree with the fact that they are cursed. I mean, those poor people seriously have had a heck of a time. Now, throw in a disaster.  Sad I feel very deeply for the people of Haiti.

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," he said. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.'

"True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,'" Robertson said.

Now this is something I do not agree with. He is using religion as a weapon, and that is pathetic. Haiti has a government that is corrupt. Haiti did not have building codes to withstand earthquakes. Perhaps this disaster might bring forth change in their government, and bring change to how buildings are constructed. The change needed will not be up to god or the devil. It is up to the people of Haiti.

Using negative religion during such a tragedy is sick. I don't know much about Pat Robertson, but what little I do know.... He is a schmuck..........
I Am A Different Animal!!

MadameConcorde

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:49 am

they got together and swore a pact to the devil.

This has to deal with religion and superstition. None of the two have true realistic grounds. It is all about beliefs. We have seen - even in recent times - what religion and superstition can lead to.  Wow!
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Flighty

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:58 am

Robertson's hateful words would please the Devil very much.

flyoverstater

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Pat Robertson said something stupid? lol. Good thing the earthquake did not hit Scotland. Robertson would probably remind us that their country is a dark land overrun by homosexuals.

DocLightning

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:35 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):

Acts of assassination are often also acts of terrorism.

Eh. We can go back and forth. Either way, it's not the random violence that AQ likes to do. I'm pretty anti-violence.

Although my baser instincts are starting to think that regular beatings may be exactly the medicine that Mr. Robertson needs. Ah, beatings. They can be so...therapeutic!  Wink
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

N1120A

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:05 pm

to ask they withdraw the showing of the '700 Club'

While I think most of us here and Disney would love that, they can't. Robertson contracted to maintain the 700 Club's presence after he sold The Family Channel to FOX in 1997. That also binds Disney to the twice daily airings.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 23):

Well this isn't such a bad thing.

Meh. He's still a legitimate world leader.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):
Either way, it's not the random violence that AQ likes to do

Who says what AQ does is random?

DocLightning

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):

Who says what AQ does is random?

The victims are.

Although I was enjoying the conversation about beatings for Mr. Robertson. Am I a bad man for it?

I mean, what do I have to lose? I'm going to Hell one way or another. Might as well take the scenic route!
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

AGM100

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):
Yes, but his donations always come with a caveat. Those donations seem to be more marketing tools to bring new members to his organization than true donations.

True , much like the Vatican to be honest. And Robertson believes that the catholic church is basically his sworn enemy. Evangelicals see the catholic church much in the same way Muslims see Jews .... ( with slightly less killing) . When Roberston says they rejected god , he really means they rejected his protestant ideas for the Catholicism...which many evangelicals believe to be a false religion and frankly evil.

I heard a report last night that the 3 most modern hospitals in Haiti were built and operated by the Baptists church . The Baptist defiantly do not like the Roman catholics .. they blame then for cooking John the Baptists in oil and all that. It is a shadowy silent war between these religious idealists. A war fought by trying to gain influence by charity and missionary work.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

lowrider

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:18 pm

Regardless of your opinions of the man, I think most will agree that bringing this story out at this time with so much suffering going on is a poor choice. Further, I do not see how it is in keeping with the ideals of forgiveness, mercy, and charity. Even with the assumption that the article is 100% accurate and true, to wait until now to bring it strikes me as callous and indifferent. I think Robertson may have been isolate from actual charitable work in the field for too long.
Proud OOTSK member

Flighty

RE: Not Again: Pat Robertson Claims Haiti Is Curse

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 38):
A war fought by trying to gain influence by charity and missionary work.

Hey, that was a very nice post, even if it was just your viewpoint on it. Thanks. I did not recognize that angle on things.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
Robertson contracted to maintain the 700 Club's presence after he sold The Family Channel to FOX in 1997. That also binds Disney to the twice daily airings.

Also very interesting.

GDB

RE: Not Again: Pat Robertson Claims Haiti Is Curse

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 pm

That charmer Rush weighs his (physically considerable bulk) in;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf.../15/rush-limbaugh-haiti-earthquake

You can waste all the bandwidth you like trying to twist and semi excuse Robertson and Rush and other assorted pieces of work, if you like.
But just, for a moment, consider the psyche of those whose response to this appalling loss of human life in an already terrible place to be unlucky to be born, with making swivel eyed points based on their so called 'faith', or just cannot help making the most stupid attempt at political point scoring imaginable.
(Fatty drug addict should just come out and say it, the unfortunate Haitians are to him, just undermenschen . 40-50 years ago, he'd have been a 'Grand Wizard' or whatever they were called, face it).

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 39):
Regardless of your opinions of the man

It's not really opinion in this case, as the jury is long out on the guy. It's a pretty simple science - when all the data says the same thing, it becomes accepted fact.

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):
But just, for a moment, consider the psyche of those whose response to this appalling loss of human life in an already terrible place to be unlucky to be born, with making swivel eyed points based on their so called 'faith', or just cannot help making the most stupid attempt at political point scoring imaginable.

I wasn't aware of Limbaugh's comments, but after reading them, have dramatically less respect for him than I already did.  Yeah sure He has absolutely no sense of common humanity or decency.

OA412
Crew

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:39 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):

Absoultely disgusting and yet not one bit shocking. Limbaugh has made a career out of spouting off some of the most hateful, racist, homophobic, mysoginistic, etc. crap on the airwaves. Haiti is the Western Hemisphere's poorest country and it has just been thoroughly devastated by a major earthquake yet pieces of garbage like Robertson and Limbaugh continue to try and extract political capital from such horrible human devastation. That people still listen to Rush and take every word he says to heart speaks volumes about their own character.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

lowrider

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:12 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 42):
It's not really opinion in this case,

Do you really intend to claim that your opening post, the following in particular, are devoid of your opinion?

Yes, nobody should be listening to this nutball at all,

I only include my opening caveat because we hold differeing opinions on the man, but I think we can agree that this particular incident is unworthy of the beliefs he espouses.
Proud OOTSK member

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:26 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 44):

Do you really intend to claim that your opening post, the following in particular, are devoid of your opinion?

Hyperbole aside, yes. In light of these, his post 9/11 comments and many other transgressions of judgment, it's readily apparent to most that he does not represent either well-meaning Christians or Americans and brings embarrassment to both. I stand by that statement as there is no evidence otherwise.

I don't dispute that his money and organizations have done good for the poor within the US - that is also fact and not subject to debate. Nevertheless, it doesn't let him off the hook for this untrue verbal garbage.

Mir

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:54 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):
That charmer Rush weighs his (physically considerable bulk) in;

His comments are arguably worse than Robertson's.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

santosdumont

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:20 pm

If you think about it, both Robertson's and Limbaugh's antics have a Satanic tincture to them...you know, just sit back in your plush Ziggurat and verbally jack off in the face of unspeakable suffering occurring somewhere "down there".

The same could be said of Danny Glover's pathetic riff:

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegr...telegraph/comments/pact_with_gaia/

Robertson and Limbaugh would do well to take page from the playbook of Brazilian philanthropist Zilda Arns, who -- when it came to doing the work of Christ -- genuinely talked the talk and walked the walk.

She was killed in the quake as she was giving a workshop in a Port-au-Prince church on improving children's healthcare in Haiti.
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

dxing

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Quoting Santosdumont (Reply 47):
The same could be said of Danny Glover's pathetic riff:

Ya beat me too it! When I heard the audio of Glover saying it was our fault because we didn't reach an agreement in Copenhagen I thought, earthquakes are part of climate change? What then isn't part of it? Very strange. Also, if we take the lead that Chavez has set, I guess we stop where we are at right now.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

avek00

Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Without expressing opinion on Pat Robertson's specific remarks, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I do think Haiti might indeed be "cursed". I mean damn, the place has NEVER caught a break in its life as an independent country - one calamity or upheaval after another. Even in the midst of the current crisis, the next one is potentially getting set up with Aristide trying to return to Haiti.
Live life to the fullest.